• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jon Bernthal's Punisher is one of the GOAT comic book castings (Daredevil Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Punisher was excellent. Electra was fine. Like season 1 it lost some steam near the end. Basically after he got out of jail.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Yes, this was Banshee-level of fight scenes. So much better than anything else DD has done and a large part of that is because it was Bernthal who was doing all those moves.

And you could make out what was going on clearly.

The three best DD fights (hallway S1, hallway/stairs S2, prison S2) were all (mostly) clearly lit so you could make out what was going on. The S2 finale was particularly bad, especially when Brett yelled 'GET ME A SPOTLIGHT UP THERE SO I CAN SEE WHAT'S HAPPENING' and it was STILL lit in this absurdly dim way. Like don't have characters point out how bad the lighting is and then keep bad lighting.

Dali

Favourite fight scene in DD S2 because, shock, it was lit properly and you could make out what the fuck was going on.
I thought maybe it was my TV. The only fight scenes that I could really enjoy were the punisher ones. All the Daredevil ninja fights weren't really watchable.

d00d3n

I agree 100%, but isn't the fact that Punisher appears in s02 a spoiler by itself? I had not idea about this, and was excited to find out while watching the first couple of episodes. It seems like they structured his appearance to make it a mysterious reveal.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I thought maybe it was my TV. The only fight scenes that I could really enjoy were the punisher ones. All the Daredevil ninja fights weren't really watchable.

There's a reaction shot of Nobu after Elektra was stabbed, and I swear to God it took me thirty seconds to realise he'd stabbed her instead of her stabbing herself. Talk about visual incompetence.

Maximo

I agree 100%, but isn't the fact that Punisher appears in s02 a spoiler by itself? I had not idea about this, and was excited to find out while watching the first couple of episodes. It seems like they structured his appearance to make it a mysterious reveal.

Thanos is also in it.

Edit: Shit double post sorry.

ZeroX03

Banned
Of course there is a reason, the impact gets bigger and the chance is higher to knock them actually out instead of them getting up again. If they'd only do a flip then yeah, that's ridiculous.

There's many ways to knock a person out with adequate force that isn't a flip. Let's not pretend it wasn't 100% style, DD doesn't need the flips like Roy does.

He was the focus of the marketing alongside Daredevil and Elektra. His appearance has been known about since June last year. If you managed to go dark, great, but any viewer who saw any marketing knew what they were in for.

tbh I thought the big long Irish scene with all the windup and "who's shooting there must be an army" was pretty lame considering we knew exactly who was coming.

Cc_kZubUEAA3hXi.jpg

matt360

I love how Frank walked like his dick was too big to fit in his jeans properly. I was yet another who was iffy on Bernthal as Punisher, but he was fantastic.

void666

Banned
I watched up until episode 4. I really enjoyed bernthal as punisher. Great acting.

But i didn't like the punisher. Everyone goes on about how he is so tactical, a one man army. But we never get to see this. His badass stuff is usually offscreen.
And that scene in the hospital... Damn. Clumsily walking blasting everything with a shotgun without actually hitting anything.

The ambush scene was also awkward. He set up the truck and in a matter of seconds he is on the top of a water tower. Full body exposed. Very tactical.

I may be nitpicking though. I definitely want to see more of him as the punisher.

Devil

Too bad the writing isn't up there at all.

I hated that graveyard scene, I have no idea why it is always named a positive example. I'm only halfway through yet but the plot has been extremely predictable and is as old as it gets. That scene especially, among others, tried so hard at getting an emotion out of me, while I already exactly knew what he was about to say, even some episodes earlier already. It failed miserably and making me feel pity, I just felt bored.

It was already clear after episode 1 that some gangs were responsible for the death of that nameless killer's family, even before being told that he had a family or who he even was.

Too bad the writing isn't up there at all.

I hated that graveyard scene, I have no idea why it is always named a positive example. I'm only halfway through yet but the plot has been extremely predictable and is as old as it gets. That scene especially, among others, tried so hard at getting an emotion out of me, while I already exactly knew what he was about to say, even some episodes earlier already. It failed miserably and making me feel pity, I just felt bored.

It was already clear after episode 1 that some gangs were responsible for the death of that nameless killer's family, even before being told that he had a family or who he even was.

The graveyard scene tightened up could've been amazing, as it stands it's WAY too long.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I haven't finished S2 of Daredevil, so I haven't read anything this thread. I just wanted to say that even though I haaaaate Jon Bernthal, I think he's actually been pretty good as The Punisher. So that's something.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I have never read a comic book, everything I knew about The Punisher came from the intro cutscene to The Punisher beat-em-up arcade game from the 90's, and even I knew he hadn't been done justice before this.

Stole the show, deserves a shitload of nominations next year. I would give anything to see him line up with Hawkeye and Black Widow in Infinity War. A scene between him and Cap would be worth the admission alone.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I have never read a comic book, everything I knew about The Punisher came from the intro cutscene to The Punisher beat-em-up arcade game from the 90's, and even I knew he hadn't been done justice before this.

Stole the show, deserves a shitload of nominations next year. I would give anything to see him line up with Hawkeye and Black Widow in Infinity War. A scene between him and Cap would be worth the admission alone.

The performance is God-tier. And I could see them adapting Ennis stories with ease using this version of The Punisher. Also, maybe the success will get them to re-release the PS2 game on the PS4, which I'd love as it's one of the most fun games I've ever played.

RangerX

Banned
Yeah he is absolutely up there with all the castings you mentioned. He was utterly phenomenal in the role and completely embodied the punisher. I don't think he'll ever be bested.

SeanC

Really stole the show, but I think we expected that because the dude is an amazing actor.

Didn't expect to have the central emotional element of Season 2 be The Punisher even with that in mind, though. Even though we kind of got that with Fisk as well in Season 1, I actually cared about Frank here beyond a cool dude with a lot of guns and stabbing dudes in the balls.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
This legit made me yell "holy fuck!" out loud, I didn't expect to show the blast to the face, was amazing.

Too much PG-13 sensitized us to violence.

diaspora

I said it once before but I'll say it again; the "all deaths I commit are on you because you didn't kill me" line always reads as absolute bullshit to me.

That's just it- the Punisher is full of shit. It's why he gets so pissed at Daredevil for calling him out on being deranged.

Melvin's response was literally a giant signpost for the audience saying "This was not luck and Frank Castle knows what he's doing"

I'm pretty sure someone else mentions that, and how good Frank's aim is.

And Schoonover does say later that Frank has an eerie way of noticing your subconscious tics and other things about your behavior that makes it seem like he sees through your soul. He himself says "He just knows"

This is bullshit to the extreme as noticed by his generic bad guy aim in the hospital or sniping.

Melvin saying something or seeing through your soul isn't firearm proficiency. This be some strange thinking.

I have yet to see where the Punisher is considered great, he's alright but the writing for the character isn't there as the show needs to constantly tell you his family was murdered before his eyes. Of course Frank's already "dead", that's been noticed since episode 1 when he takes a character 180 to live as a vigilante who murders his people, it takes them 13 episodes for him to actually say it. Jon may walk around with a big dick but the character just plays your emotions like how August Rush does.

This is bullshit to the extreme as noticed by his generic bad guy aim in the hospital or sniping.

Melvin saying something or seeing through your soul isn't firearm proficiency. This be some strange thinking.

I have yet to see where the Punisher is considered great, he's alright but the writing for the character isn't there as the show needs to constantly tell you his family was murdered before his eyes. Of course Frank's already "dead", that's been noticed since episode 1 when he takes a character 180 to live as a vigilante who murders his people, it takes them 13 episodes for him to actually say it. Jon may walk around with a big dick but the character just plays your emotions like how August Rush does.
You should rewatch the episodes again. I took melvins comments too mean frank purposedly didn't mean to kill matt straight away. Hell, next time they meet frank even says at much. And the hospital wasn't random shooting, it was herding. Frank said as much to blondie in the diner scene.

diaspora

You should rewatch the episodes again. I took melvins comments too mean frank purposedly didn't mean to kill matt straight away. Hell, next time they meet frank even says at much. And the hospital wasn't random shooting, it was herding. Frank said as much to blondie in the diner scene.

So should you, because he's not saying anything definitively. Frank tried to kill Matt but failed unless he magically knew the alloys in the costume and helmet was strong enough to take bullets. Punisher's shooting is mixed in the show.

Do you think they spend all this time talking up how great of a shot he is and how he always knows what he's doing for it to mean absolutely nothing when he shoots the hero of the show in the head and the hero of the show then survives? Like, if you wanna argue that it's silly that he somehow knows he's not gonna kill Matt then fine, but it seems pretty clear what they're trying to do here.

Melvin doesn't know Frank, all that can be summed up is Matt is one lucky fucker. Nothing more. You do not herd in a packed group with a shotgun. Writing errors.

Do you think they spend all this time talking up how great of a shot he is and how he always knows what he's doing for it to mean absolutely nothing when he shoots the hero of the show in the head and the hero of the show then survives? Like, if you wanna argue that it's silly that he somehow knows he's not gonna kill Matt then fine, but it seems pretty clear what they're trying to do here.

Yes. It's lazy writing similar to how they use the worst CGI imaginable when he blows up the biker's motorcycles: it's all talk and no show which is a big thing. It's partly why people laugh at the ninjas in the show because they talk big game but they're dudes with longbows. Visual confirmation helps the show.

Let's be real. The only reason why Frank was using a shotgun in that scene is because it looked cooler and more menacing than a pistol

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Let's be real. The only reason why Frank was using a shotgun in that scene is because it looked cooler and more menacing than a pistol

For some weird reason, the way it was framed....it just screamed Terminator 2 mall to me. Like the shotgun was an homage to that. The way he was dressed and walking too. Then, Ep2 was all about T1 homages in a way.

News Bot

Banned
What's awesome is that we live in a world where Punisher, Spidey, and Daredevil, Wilson Fisk exist in live action forms and share the same fucking universe.

And Jessica Jones. The shows are the same universe as The Avengers/Guardians of the Galaxy, yes?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
He completely nailed it, I would watch the shit out of a standalone show.

Walpurgis

Banned
Savage. Absolutely savage.
Course, in my ideal show Frank puts a bullet in Stick's face two seconds after Stick returns.
What?! What's wrong with you? Stick is freaking awesome!
Punisher has a richer source material to draw from than characters like Luke Cage and Jessica Jones. It would be more easy to adapt seasons with him as the title character.
Sweet. They have to do a Punisher spin-off, in that case.
Punisher was excellent. Electra was fine. Like season 1 it lost some steam near the end. Basically after he got out of jail.
I agree, she was fine. She was also really badass and I knew that she'd be stabbed in the last episode when she had her heart to heart with Daredevil inside that locked room. Seeing The Hand make themselves useful and ensure the return of my queen was a welcome surprise. I hope she gains control over those crazy ninjas next season and shows Matt how she feels about being abandoned in the dirt.

Apt101

I don't know if it's the best casting of a comic character ever. There's Heath Ledger as Joker, Downey Jr. as Tony Stark, Sam L. Jackson as Nick Fury, etc. But he definitely made the part his own and did a superb job with it. He doesn't quite look like how I think many fans picture Frank Castle, nor does he speak in a predictable manner or even emote in predictable ways, but it's undeniable while watching that yes, that is The Punisher.

Top 10 IMO, probably closer to 1-5 than 6-10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom