• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JonTron Releases a Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone give me a summary. Would not rather give him a click.

You misconstrued all my racist trash as racist, please stop and understand I am definitely not racist. Let's keep debate alive and legitimize all my ignorant points of view because I'm definitely not a racist. PS, would you also pls stop and think of the whites

OK gonna go back to comedy now bye

LionPride

Banned
Tolerate intolerance I guess?

6bc.jpg

jabuseika

He had to say something, but not this.

This is just, "I didn't phrase my arguments right, but I still believe the same things".

That's not at all what I said but OK. Hate breeds hate, even if it's in different forms.

While I do think he was a little unapologetic, I don't feel he should be crucified or anything. Nor do I think he should be simply forgiven.

But let's not build people up to start sending death threats.

I don't want to cause any troubles here, so I'll remove myself from the thread.

Who's sending Jon death threats here. All were doing is pointing out how shit Jon is with his videos doubling down on his bull. We can't just give Jon a finger waggle and say "don't do that again ok. Now go make some videos and promote your ideas even more". Also I know your bailing from this thread but this just for anyone else thinking we shouldn't get mad at him for his "opinions".

big_erk

Basically someone showed him something like:

And he took it to be a shining beacon of hypocrisy that it is not decried as incredibly racist

Oh and he blamed the evil media out to get him, like all youtubers do these days.

There's a certain prolific Twitter user who does the same thing.

Azoor

This guy really doesn't know how to debate or create a solid argument. His "We must protect our culture!" Argument is idiotic.

Gator86

That's not at all what I said but OK. Hate breeds hate, even if it's in different forms.

While I do think he was a little unapologetic, I don't feel he should be crucified or anything. Nor do I think he should be simply forgiven.

Yes, we all remember the non-stop stream of death threats and persecution coming from liberals espousing equity. I'm salty people co-opted the phrase hate. Now that shit means any and all criticism of regressive viewpoints.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
I'm probably in the minority here but I generally think that this statement was OK.

Also, people pulling the 'scum of the earth' card are not being any better than his original statement.
Is this the new "I'm just asking questions"?

While I do think he was a little unwell napologetic, I don't feel he should be crucified or anything. Nor do I think he should be simply forgiven.

Oh, it is. Ok!

Boem

the guy should keep his political opinions to himself.
especially if you have 4M subs on youtube.
That is basically career suicide.

I hate it when people say this about anyone who is in any way a celebrity, big or small. Politics are an essential part of life, and people should always be free to discuss them if they want.

The problem isn't that he's expressing political opinions, the problem is that his opinions are racist as fuck.

Fitts

Why are these "apology videos" always a compilation of jump cuts? Not being able to just speak off the cuff really makes the whole thing seem disingenuous.

At any rate, at least he owned the negative press and didn't go the "fuck WSJ" route.

He opens with the suggestion that his debate was being taken out of context by various media outlets and promoting ideas he doesn't really believe, and then cops to the fact he choked under the pressure of a public debate and didn't express himself very well. He then attempted to express himself much better, thanks to having a prepared statement ready to go, and read from it, essentially backing up all the ignorant beliefs at the core of every single dumb utterance that fell from his fucking head during the debate. There is no real apology, and the only regret he seems to have is for his own lack of preparation. He apparently believes if he'd prepared more, nobody would be mad at him.

So it's a "Sorry not sorry. Don't trust what the media says about me."
Haha, what a pathetic person.

darksagus

I would rather him be honest about his opinions rather than do a 180 and say he didn't mean anything he said. You guys do know that when people apologize after being called out doesn't actually mean they changed their minds right? They are just doing it to satiate everyone.

LionPride

Banned

Y'all ever notice how when a poster is wrong and gets called out they sometimes just dip?

L Thammy

Bullshit. If someone is being a racist and gets called on it, the person calling them on it is not just as bad. That kind of bullshit false equivalency is what the alt-right thrives on.

"Racist" is actually an ethnic slur for white people. Ignore all those things it says dictionary, that's just the English language's liberal bias.

Battlechili

Banned
I'm glad he's clarifying his views.

Though its strange seeing Jontron not trying to be comedic. Its extremely hard for me to remove my image of him as being this guy who makes jokes about Nintendo games and the like. I never watched him much, but I adored his video on Starfox Adventures way back when and seeing him talk like this now and all the things he's been saying show such a stark contrast and really show that its all an act. That he tries to be an entertainer, and that its not really his real self so much it is an act. I guess that should've been obvious in retrospect, but you really get an image in your mind of what people are like when they constantly put out content portraying themselves a certain way.

The video is unlisted too. While perhaps best for his career, i can't help but see it as cowardly.

Yeah this is what I was thinking. I would wager most of his subscribers don't follow him religiously, and didn't even hear about this. I only did because of Neogaf. He'd actually do way more harm if he posted a public "apology" (quotes because I didn't hear any apology), for something most of his fans were unaware of. I'm still done with him though, because even though I do love a lot of his content, I can't be supporting someone who those views.

Sir TapTap

Um

Jon Tron is that you

I can't imagine how anyone non Jon Tron could think either of these things

I'm afraid a great deal of people on Twitter have been defending him. I muted a game dev for getting into a hissy fit because I called him a neo nazi "just" because he was talking about superior white people defending the purity of their race.

I mean, that's not neo nazi at all I don't know why I would have gotten that sort of impression. Totally reasonable to defend the white supremacist here.

He had to say something, but not this.

This is just, "I didn't phrase my arguments right, but I still believe the same things".

This is the funny thing, so much defense of him "not coming across clearly". If that was the case (it wasn't) then sure, tell us what you really meant. But he doesn't retract his statements, because he really meant them. He did come across clearly. It was just shit.

Oh god fuck yourself. These niggers only see race, why cant white people be talk about their glorious culture? Piece of shit

Hope his reputation is shot forever

tumblr_o5yjc6YfXb1u9rjuro1_250.gif

Please tell me you're missing quotation marks. Either that or sentence comprehension has lost me due to being up all night.

Fancolors

the guy should keep his political opinions to himself.
especially if you have 4M subs on youtube.
That is basically career suicide.
It's not. Maybe his MCM will drop him and a lot of people will unsubscribe, but there are a fuckton of followers who will stay loyal, either because they are not aware of his views and if doesn't affect their enjoyment or because they agree with his tirade​ against the evil 'media'.

IronLich

Basically, it was late night, and I got heated without being logical.

If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. I love your videos, but WOW, you really should know better about sharing personal beliefs with the public.

Sir TapTap

Why are these "apology videos" always a compilation of jump cuts? Not being able to just speak off the cuff really makes the whole thing seem disingenuous.

At any rate, at least he owned the negative press and didn't go the "fuck WSJ" route.

Gotta cut out all the times you accidentally scream the n word don't make your argument clearly

I'm probably in the minority here but I generally think that this statement was OK.

Also, people pulling the 'scum of the earth' card are not being any better than his original statement.

"Calling someone out individually for something stupid/vile they said is the same thing as generalizing an entire group of people based on their ethnicity! Both sides, guys! BOTH SIDES!"

Fuck out of here with your intellectually lazy bullshit.

I feel super bad for people who only now realized how bad Jon is. I think if I still liked Jon when this happened, I'd be pretty dismayed too lol.

JonTron said racist things against an entire race of people.

We responded by pointing out that he's a shitty person for being racist.

Clearly, we're both at fault lolol

LionPride

Banned
Basically, it was late night, and I got heated without being logical.

If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. I love your videos, but WOW, you really should know better about sharing personal beliefs with the public.

Or know anything about history, life, facts, ya know those things

Anung

Un Rama
B-b-but guys ALL racism (especially against whites, which is what I want to acknowledge) is bad. So anyway here are some non-related facts about blacks being subhuman.

People misconstrued the things I very clearly said and have said on multiple occasions. How dare they!

Thanks to my supporters who support me blindly because I make funny videos every year or two.

also these youtubers really need to stop blaming the media

these people have so many kids watching them, can't go any youtube video about the wsj without FAKE NEWS PEWDS ARMY REPORTING IN shit

eroding confidence in trusted news sources = how we get trump.

But blaming the media worked for Trump, surely it'll work for them!

Biske

You know if when you are under pressure, your reaction is to become some kind of xenophobic racist.. that probably says all it needs to say about you.

"I'm not racist, I was just feeling stressed" isn't a good excuse.

oh no, if JT goes away, where will i get my fix for warmed over Americas Funniest Videos But Video Games presented for a middle school-level reading comprehension? except thousands of other channels on youtube.

fuck this. not even going to read this statement after that debate. this guy need to go away.

He is sorry that he got caught and wishes he put forward his racist thoughts in a more subtle way.

Fuck him and anyone who supports this bigot cunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom