• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JonTron (youtuber) speaks against demographic "invasion" of America by nonwhites

Status
Not open for further replies.

daammyy

As a graduate student in criminology writing a thesis on institutional racism within the criminal justice system, boy would I have loved to be the person engaging him in this conversation and providing much needed "citations" to counter his points. This is fucking bullshit.

Would've been great, I would've loved that! I wouldn't have been able stay calm. Wish I could but the stuff coming out of this racist prick just makes me sad/angry.

If Jon wants to be anti globalism and be for stronger border control, fine. Those are fair right wing points that can be argued in civil discussion. But why go to such extremes? The right is going to make Jon a victim of PC culture, but what he said is simply ignorant and extreme.

Unless he truly is racist, why just not have reasonable opinions and venture into healthy debate? Why dismiss a lot of your fan base as whiny SJWs and appeal mainly to to the extremists of the right? It's not even a smart business decision even if he believes what he said.

He has a right to free speech and I have the right to unfollow him and unsubscribe. He's going to play victim of PC culture, but if you're going to be controversial, embrace being controversial. Don't play the victim. Free speech doesn't protect your from backlash.

Is it honestly worth destroying everything you worked for?
Yes, indeed. Just how was this interview worth it even if he does truly feel that way?

Thank god that Arin, Dan and the rest of the folks at game grumps didn't turn out like him. That would have broke my heart :(

Yeah me too.

Not too long ago, Arin did a solo playthrough of Megaman. His commentary really showed how much he grew in the opposite direction of Jon Tron.

TurboKiller

Neo Member
That people are ignoring, willfully or not, the far right's attempts to recruit in online nerd spaces is disheartening, as the only way to find a way to stop this is acknowledge that nerd communities have a problem.

Exactly. It's up to us as the people who live this hobby to shine a light on this shit when we see it. Do not allow it to become the norm. Nerd culture started as a place where people who didn't feel like they belonged, let's not lose sight of that.

That people are ignoring, willfully or not, the far right's attempts to recruit in online nerd spaces is disheartening, as the only way to find a way to stop this is acknowledge that nerd communities have a problem.

This is an interesting thought. Maybe they target gaming and videogame communities is because they skew younger and because of that more impressionable?

Might be a longshot, but is there a write-up or transcript of the Twitch conversation? I'm at work so I can't watch/listen to anything, but I can read.

Lilseb93

Yes, indeed. Just how was this interview worth it even if he does truly feel that way?

I don't want him to feel like he has to be silent, but this isn't simply just an opinion. This is an extreme opinion that only appeals to a certain demographic. But either way, he still has a good following and will have a strong right wing fan base, but he's lost many people forever now. It wasn't worth it.

I don't want him to feel like he has to be silent, but this isn't simply just an opinion. This is an extreme opinion that only appeals to a certain demographic. But either way, he still has a good following and will have a strong right wing fan base, but he's lost many people forever now. It wasn't worth it.

From a business standpoint, exactly. He gained nothing and mumbled often incoherently. He was handily outmatched failed to substantiate any premise that he brought up.

Jeels

Man, it scares me how much cross section there is between the alt right and gaming culture at this point. I guess gamergate really started it all.

If TotalBiscuit comes to his good friend Jon's defence he is signing his userbase death warrant as well. He already has said some very suspect and insane things.

Man, it scares me how much cross section there is between the alt right and gaming culture at this point. I guess gamergate really started it all.

It's not gaming culture as it is internet culture. You have 4chan, reddit, ect that are also springing their alt right out of the shadows. It's what happens when you see the signs and allowed them to just continue. Gamergate didn't create anything, it simply let alot of people take off their gloves and be honest in their fucked up views.

Boke1879

No doubt it's scary, but not surprising.

I mean these are the same people that yell "nigger" into their mics in online games. That harass women in online games. So not really shocking.

Has ethan and hila from h3h3 said anything about this yet? I know they were close and straight up said Jon and his production company saved them financially a few years back with a job. The two of them are pretty great so I can imagine having this quagmire so soon after PDP must be a bummer.

NotLiquid

If Jon wants to be anti globalism and be for stronger border control, fine. Those are fair right wing points that can be argued in civil discussion. But why go to such extremes? The right is going to make Jon a victim of PC culture, but what he said is simply ignorant and extreme.

Unless he truly is racist, why just not have reasonable opinions and venture into healthy debate? Why dismiss a lot of your fan base as whiny SJWs and appeal mainly to to the extremists of the right? It's not even a smart business decision even if he believes what he said.

He has a right to free speech and I have the right to unfollow him and unsubscribe. He's going to play victim of PC culture, but if you're going to be controversial, embrace being controversial. Don't play the victim. Free speech doesn't protect you from backlash.

Is it honestly worth destroying everything you worked for?

Thank you. My problem with Jon over the years isn't merely his views on things but moreso the fact that he's so eager to throw himself into the fire without really understanding it, and the fact that the stream proved that the basis behind it is incompetent ignorance just makes it all the more aggravating. At best it's unpleasant and at worst it's just really, really pathetic.

Someone I know told me "oh it's his Twitter he can say whatever the hell he wants". You're right. I can also think he's a shifty dick that I don't have to support, and the victim card need not apply when you've been willingly driving 100 miles per hour on a road that's 50. You don't look cool. You don't look charismatic. You just look like someone who's probably going to end up in a really shitty position sooner than later.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
It's not gaming culture as it is internet culture. You have 4chan, reddit, ect that are also springing their alt right out of the shadows. It's what happens when you see the signs and allowed them to just continue. Gamergate didn't create anything, it simply let alot of people take off their gloves and be honest in their fucked up views.

I think this is 100% true.

Additionally though, I think a lot of people see the internet as a space where they should be allowed to do or say literally anything for the lulz. A lot of edge lords basically. And honestly it kinda WAS when I was growing up. Even this place used to allow a lot more fucked up stuff.

So I think many of these people join in and don't really even see themselves as "alt-right" but more "anti-PC" and then slowly just try to get in line. In that way Trump was the perfect candidate for idiots on the internet.

I'm not sure what the solution is. I think there is a lot of validity in saying that changing the way we address language we don't like on the internet would have some small impact on these kids going alllll the way over to the right, but at the same time you can't expect good people to eat shit just for the sake of keeping some dorks from feeling alienated by the left.

Anung

Un Rama
Don't get to use your audible code JONTRON and get your free audiobook. I'd recommend Mein Kampf. Do not read the Commulist manifesto tho.

I saw that, and I read the Gizmodo article, but I wanted something a little bit more in-depth with more quotes.

(Yes, I am desperately looking to kill time until my next meeting in an hour, how could you tell?)

It's not like he's overly articulate. You're better off skipping his smug laughs when he realized he has no reasonable answer for a question. Overall, those summaries are brief but pretty close to what actually happened.

Jeels

No doubt it's scary, but not surprising.

I mean these are the same people that yell "nigger" into their mics in online games. That harass women in online games. So not really shocking.

Oh I guess that's true. That's been around since XBL gave people mics. :(

Grief.exe

Has ethan and hila from h3h3 said anything about this yet? I know they were close and straight up said Jon and his production company saved them financially a few years back with a job. The two of them are pretty great so I can imagine having this quagmire so soon after PDP must be a bummer.

That's a tough position to be in.

I only know of JonTron from the few times he appeared in Cinemassacre videos with James and Mike. They really have bad tastes in guests. Him and AlphaOmegaSin. Must be the proximity.

The_Kid

Its clear Destiny is very educated about this issues but I can't follow him if he keeps using "retarded" and "autistic" so loosely like he does.

KarmaCow

I saw that, and I read the Gizmodo article, but I wanted something a little bit more in-depth with more quotes.

(Yes, I am desperately looking to kill time until my next meeting in an hour, how could you tell?)

You're expecting way too much coherence from this "debate". He was floundering for pretty much all of it, barely thinking about what he was parroting before tossing out some other nonsense after being asked to explain what he had just said before.

Tecnniqe

Banned

tenor.gif

imBask

Banned
Same here. Very quick follow after seeing him tell this guy how it is.

I sure hope you're ready for this because he's literally 4chan in person. He really enjoys any type of slurs, and words like "cuck", "autistic" and "retarded"

It's so weird seeing GAF side with Destiny, he's the type of guy who would be CRUCIFIED on any given day here

You're expecting way too much coherence from this "debate". He was floundering for pretty much all of it, barely thinking about what he was parroting before tossing out some other nonsense after being asked to explain what he had just said before.

I'm more interested in what Destiny had to say, honestly. Never heard of him before this thread.

NotLiquid

While I wasn't expecting anything earlier, now that there's a Gizmodo article that is likely to make some rounds in news sites, I expect another "media is bad" talk from one other big YT personality.

rpg_fan

Son of Iranian immigrants.

I assumed something like that. My comment was being a bit sarcastic. I never understand why someone who isn't white doesn't want non-whites around. And no, Jon, you'll never be one of the 'good' ones. Not to other racists.

Apathy

wow, in the first 5 minutes he asks "what is racism".

I swear, what kind of coolaid has this guy drank to be a minority and have these thoughts. I guess he sees his skin light enough he thinks he'll be accepted by white people

AdamMPSP

I sure hope you're ready for this because he's literally 4chan in person. He really enjoys any type of slurs, and words like "cuck", "autistic" and "retarded"

It's so weird seeing GAF side with Destiny, he's the type of guy who would be CRUCIFIED on any given day here

Oh. Did not know any of this. I rescind my follow. Hopefully he calls himself up and debates himself about this. :)

Toxi

Banned
I assumed something like that. My comment was being a bit sarcastic. I never understand why someone who isn't white doesn't want non-whites around. And no, Jon, you'll never be one of the 'good' ones. Not to other racists.
He's "one of the good ones" until they need to disown him like they did Milo Yiannopolos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom