• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jools Watsham of Renegade Kid (Mutant Mudds) wants to do Sonic Mania on 3DS

Its a thread about the possibility of a 3DS port and we fine with people begging for a Vita port instead to derail the topic uh.

the fact that you are trying to justify acting like a child is even worse, honestly. this entire thread is built upon the idea of a dev offering to port to other platforms. it makes sense to bring up "hey, while you're at it, a version for this platform would be nice too". yet you try to turn it into fanboy shit. not a single person said "not the 3ds, I only want a vita port" in here.

again, grow up.

Christian Whitehead can make a 2D sonic game work on any damn platform so this shouldn't be a problem. SEGA playing it safe by doing current gen and pc. I defo think this needs a handheld port. 3DS would be lovely with stereoscopic 3D.

Christian Whitehead can make a 2D sonic game work on any damn platform so this shouldn't be a problem. SEGA playing it safe by doing current gen and pc. I defo think this needs a handheld port. 3DS would be lovely with stereoscopic 3D.

I'd love to see a VR version on PSVR and PC that had the game on a virtual CRT and Genesis. That'd be just too cool

I'd love to see a VR version on PSVR and PC that had the game on a virtual CRT and Genesis. That'd be just too cool

I'm so glad this game exists. Any extra platforms is a bonus and I will buy it there.

That VR idea sounds crazy. Imagine if you used Vive room scale VR to replace carts while playing it or something.

Also I already bought the song used in the trailer. Checkpoint by Nitro Fun & Hyper Potions.

CamHostage

Sonic Mania should be in development for all consoles and handhelds. Bringing it only to PS4, Xbox One and PC feels like a very strange choice considering it's a 2D title. It shouldn't be hard to port it to all the other systems.

I agree, but it's possible that they've just not committed it to other platforms at first; the Sonic CD game rolled out to some other platforms over time, so hopefully they're just not over-announcing its targets. (The fact that Wii U isn't among the consoles though is a real shame, especially since Sonic has nestled in on Nintendo platforms for a while now and NX is a target for the next game.) Then again, as E_Darkness pointed out, Sonic 1 and 2 Remastered stayed on mobile...

Yeah, considering they've already got an older version of the engine working on it.

Curious, what is the difference between Christian Whitehead's Retro Engine and the Headcannon Game Engine (HCGE)? Same thing? Companion component engines?

I tried to read up on HCGE to see what it can do, but aside from talk of the Sonic mobile games, there's not much about the engine itself on the official page/forum since 2014. And Taxman's most recent update talks about doing Unity programming work for the Freedom Planet 2 team (though that's its own thing and sensibly uses the team's choice of engines.) I believe I've seen people post about HCGE and Retro Engine on GAF independent of the Sonic projects, but I don't really know much about what the technologies aside from that they made for amazing Sonics, is there more to know?

I agree, but it's possible that they've just not committed it to other platforms at first; the Sonic CD game rolled out to some other platforms over time, so hopefully they're just not over-announcing its targets. (The fact that Wii U isn't among the consoles though is a real shame, especially since Sonic has nestled in on Nintendo platforms for a while now and NX is a target for the next game.) Then again, as E_Darkness pointed out, Sonic 1 and 2 Remastered stayed on mobile...

Curious, what is the difference between Christian Whitehead's Retro Engine and the Headcannon Game Engine (HCGE)? Same thing? Companion component engines?

I tried to read up on HCGE to see what it can do, but aside from talk of the Sonic mobile games, there's not much about the engine itself on the official page/forum since 2014. And Taxman's most recent update talks about doing Unity programming work for the Freedom Planet 2 team (though that's its own thing and sensibly uses the team's choice of engines.) I believe I've seen people post about HCGE and Retro Engine on GAF independent of the Sonic projects, but I don't really know much about what the technologies aside from that they made for amazing Sonics, is there more to know?

I have the Sonic 1 and 2 Whitehead ports on Apple TV (and probably Android TV) as well. So not just mobile. Fantastic ports. I'd love handheld ports of Mania and think mobile will happen later on but yea 3DS and Vita would be ideal.

Do we know if this is going to be a low price download title or are we getting a proper 60$ 2D sonic game with tons of content?

I'm so glad this game exists. Any extra platforms is a bonus and I will buy it there.

That VR idea sounds crazy. Imagine if you used Vive room scale VR to replace carts while playing it or something.

Also I already bought the song used in the trailer. Checkpoint by Nitro Fun & Hyper Potions.

Well, the PC version for Sega classics has the 3D virtual Genesis/MD and CRT, so the assets are there. Just have to make Mania run in 4:3 :p

I have the Sonic 1 and 2 Whitehead ports on Apple TV (and probably Android TV) as well. So not just mobile. Fantastic ports. I'd love handheld ports of Mania and think mobile will happen later on but yea 3DS and Vita would be ideal.

Well they still use the same OS as the mobile variants is what I meant really. Even if it is just a PC port just so they're more easily accessible and so the people who are outright against mobile games can play them.
Plus my phone gets too hot every time I burst out Sonic 1 for a quick play.

Handheld ports would be great. I always enjoy playing Sonic on the go when I need to kill a few minutes.

Well they still use the same OS as the mobile variants is what I meant really. Even if it is just a PC port just so they're more easily accessible and so the people who are outright against mobile games can play them.
Plus my phone gets too hot every time I burst out Sonic 1 for a quick play.

Handheld ports would be great. I always enjoy playing Sonic on the go when I need to kill a few minutes.

Lol sucks to be those people. I bought them on 3DS as classics and even got the DS collection just in case just to own another copy of the 2D sonic games.

Only thing Im salty about is sega region locking which digital store regions get their music. Nothing for India on iTunes/amazon/anything from Sega even though they have an official distributor here for games but that's going off topic.

back on topic jools is great.

sd28821

You tell me. What's more likely to derail a thread?

One person saying "Boy I'd love that on 3DS! It'd be great on Vita too"

or One person passive-aggressively pre-empting 'port-begging' by childishly insinuating that the game shouldn't come to Vita for literally no reason at all

exactly

MacTag

Banned
That's what I'm thinking.

Sonic Mania should be in development for all consoles and handhelds. Bringing it only to PS4, Xbox One and PC feels like a very strange choice considering it's a 2D title. It shouldn't be hard to port it to all the other systems.

I mean, I'll still be able to play this, but...I don't know. I see the Sonic franchise as one tied to Nintendo systems first and foremost and everything else second. But maybe that's just me.
I can agree here. 3DS, Vita, Wii U, Android and iOS should all really be priorities, with things like Fire TV, Apple TV, Shield and so on going from there. Even if they have to contract an outside porthouse like with Sonic CD, market wise it'd be worth it. Focusing on just the X86 triplets seems like a mistake.

Takao

Banned
I'll buy it. Hope it won't come out for the Vita at all.
Its a thread about the possibility of a 3DS port and we fine with people begging for a Vita port instead to derail the topic uh.

From the mind behind such classic posts like:

Its also the vita's death anniversary too unless you don't celebrate that as well.

Awesome news. This is precisely why the remaining few Vita games should be remastered for the PS4

Its weird everyone else keep dissing mobile games, yet at the same time, all the vita fans are begging for them.

Haha, Nintendo supporting the 3DS while sony continue to kill the vita.

Its a legacy platform.

Whats with the port beg from the vita fans

[Games you want HD remasters of]

1)Uncharted Golden Abyss
2)Killzone: Mercenary
3)Persona 4: Dancing All Night

I think this is due to the different standards that the vita fans have in comparison with the rest of the gaming industry.

No offense to the devs, but most of these are the lower C-tier games (B tier at best) on other platforms, hence most gamers wouldn't bat an eyelid to them. You wouldn't find much of these multi-plat games in the same list for other platforms, as there are many other A and B titles on those platforms which easily overshadow these C-tier games. And suppose they have run out of the A and B tier games to play on those platforms, they can access much of these C-tier titles too without a Vita.

In the eyes of vita fans, this is very impressive i guess, especially if they only have a vita. But mostly for those who have at least one other platform, its not at all interesting.

Hope [DanganRonpa] 2, V3 and AE wont take too long to come over to the pc

hopefully a persona 4 the golden PC edition or something

[Vita version of an indie game gets cancelled]

I'll be getting it on the PC anyway.

[Adventures of Mana initially skips Vita in its localization]

Not surprise. The Vita is a legacy platform.

At least he's consistent: Vita fans shouldn't portbeg, but I should be allowed to portbeg Vita games.

god damn I hate shitty posts like this. grow up and stop acting like this is gameFAQs. just embarrassing.

The real embarrassing thing is that he's apparently in his 30s. These are posts someone half his age would make.

At least he's consistent: Vita fans shouldn't portbeg, but I should be allowed to portbeg Vita games.

The real embarrassing thing is that he's apparently in his 30s. These are posts someone half his age would make.
He probably won't be banned tho. I see some users like TI82 and Geordimp (second name is slightly misspelled but can't remember exact username) make Nintendo shit posts all the time in Nintendo threads and they never get banned. You could probably pull up a quote list like that for the users I mentioned and get the same results. It gets old yet nothing ever gets done. As a Vita fan Arthands also is annoying. Jeez.

holy shit at that post history

He probably won't be banned tho. I see some users like TI82 and Geordimp (second name is slightly misspelled but can't remember exact username) make Nintendo shit posts all the time in Nintendo threads and they never get banned. You could probably pull up a quote list like that for the users I mentioned and get the same results. It gets old yet nothing ever gets done. As a Vita fan Arthands also is annoying. Jeez.

considering it took forever for even ninjablade to get banned, you're probably right

DESTROYED

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Why it even needs to be a port baffles me, on top of where the current library of Sonic games is largely located. You'd think after Tembo people would have learned something...
They probably doubled down on it "Tembo did not even sell on PS4 and XB1? Imagine how much of a trainwreck it would have been on Nintendo systems!"...

Opa-Pa

Renegade Kid are wonderful and Sega aren't very good with their outsourcing choices so I'm not too optimistic but I'd love this to happen.

I love portable gaming and M2's Sonic ports feel great on the 3DS so this would be ideal, and honestly I just want it on as many platforms as possible. The Vita would be even better but I don't blame Sega for not bothering lol.

And lmao posts like that are so embarrassing, yikes.

After Tembo skipping Nintendo platforms and now this, I'm convinced Sega has absolutely no idea what it's doing.

Sonic is the one third party franchise I never thought in my wildest dreams would have a game skip a Nintendo system.

After Tembo skipping Nintendo platforms and now this, I'm convinced Sega has absolutely no idea what it's doing.

Sonic is the one third party franchise I never thought in my wildest dreams would have a game skip a Nintendo system.

they probably don't have NX dev kits yet (or understand when the console is launching vs their launch period) and are unwilling to commit to releasing on the platform until they do

people need to c h i l l

also it's on PC and will probably run on literally anything so

they probably don't have NX dev kits yet (or understand when the console is launching vs their launch period) and are unwilling to commit to releasing on the platform until they do

people need to c h i l l

Dude. I'm totally chill. I'll be picking this bad boy up on PS4 at release. I'm still hoping for a physical version, 'cuz a game this gorgeous should not be confined to digital platforms.

Doesn't make Sega any less crazy for not having an NX version locked in.

Dude. I'm totally chill. I'll be picking this bad boy up on PS4 at release. I'm still hoping for a physical version, 'cuz a game this gorgeous should not be confined to digital platforms.

Doesn't make Sega any less crazy for not having an NX version locked in.

I don't just mean you, I've seen a lot of salt surrounding the NX "no-show" around these parts and elsewhere. Boggles the mind considering no-one actually knows what the console is yet. Whether it's worth giving a damn about it.

All that matters is how accessible Sonic Mania is, and the requirements of the game and its PC release make it HIGHLY accessible (not to mention the inevitability of mobile ports down the line).

edit: just to clarify, I think 3DS and NX ports (and hell, Vita too!) would be brilliant and should be welcomed. Just confused as to why they're actually necessary.

res is pretty close to 3DS apparently

For folks who are curious what this game looks like at "native resolution", which appears to be 424x240, I used some screenshots that were released to approximate it.

4sEWhDb.png

q41AFGf.png

XxDOf0s.png

BOrILtU.png

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

Top Bottom