• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Renegade Kid (Mutant Mudds, Moon) splitting up into Atooi (2D) and Infitizmo (3D)

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

heringer

They are passionate people, but I never enjoyed any of their games. Mutant Mudds was incredibly average for the praise it got.

Yukinari

I feel like the Jools got the better end of the deal getting to keep the 2D games cause theyre way more popular than 3D ones.

Really wish Nintendo worked with him to make Virtual Boy Wario Land a reality on 3DS.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

Did they already scrap the Dementium 2 remaster by the way? Or is this announcement basically confirmation that it won't be happening.

Ridley327

Oh yeah, I forgot all about that! There's a definite niche for more (any!) 3D platformers on 3DS, I wonder why they never made a 3D Mudds game.
Hasn't the big rumor for Mutant Mudds 2 been that it was possibly going back to the original 3D platformer concept? I wonder how that will play out now.

rackham

Banned
To be honest, I only played Xeodrifters and I hated the controls. Never liked the look of Mutant Mudds. Maybe their ideas weren't meshing properly.

Ok came in expecting to be left depressed. But thankfully this seems to be mutual and reasonable. Hope the best to both of them.

Mutant Mudds was a really solid platformer, it appealed to me with its basic foundation and gradually tougher design.

Xeodrifter too. I love that game, it's Metroid boiled down to its very essence and quite addictive that way. Really liked that one.

So hats off to these guys, hope everything between them was amicable and I'll see what they do next.

redcrayon

I'll keep eye out for the company names in future. Really enjoyed Xeodrifter, played it through PS+ but will replace it with a paid copy when my sub runs out next year.

rackham

Banned
The first Mutant Mudds was really successful critically/saleswise on the 3DS/WiiU

Something about it aesthetically put me off. Don't like the look of the main character or animation so I wasn't willing to buy it. Got Xeodrifter for free on PS+ and it played very awkwardly imo.

Shame, but if you've gotta do your own thing, this seems an amicable way to do it.

Nothing about Treasurenauts? Sorry if I missed it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
NX rumours tear more friendships asunder.

I wonder if they'll just still leave the games out as is, since the RK name is no more. Likely any profits from Mudds go to Atooi and Moon Chronicles goes to Infintizmo?

That or they'll just still split the profits as if nothing happened. No reason for that to change I guess.

ghibli99

Sounds kinda like what happened with Parallax becoming Volition and Outrage back in the day... and now Kulas & Toschlog are working on the KS project Overload together under the name Revival, which I think is just wonderful. :)

That really sucks, but I like that it seems like they have a plan. The studio isn't closing as much as it's just evolving into 2 separate studios. At least all the IPs will remain in their original hands and won't just be lost to the ages.

Experien

Not torn up about this, I didn't care for most of their stuff and Treasurenauts still hasn't come out.

Moon remaster on n3DS was pretty nice though.

Lylo

They are passionate people, but I never enjoyed any of their games. Mutant Mudds was incredibly average for the praise it got.

This is pretty much how I feel about Renegade Kid.

Looks like one was the 2D boy (no pun intended) and the other was the 3D boy. Maybe they couldn't agree on what to do next.

Well, good luck for both of them!

vareon

So they're splitting? I was worried that they're out of business (and jobless) but it looks like they're on their own feet.

Good luck to both of them! Mutant Mudds were one of my first 3DS game during that dearth of 3DS games pre-2013. It's fun.

atbigelow

I felt like few RK titles really drew me in. I liked Xeodrifter quite a bit and have played through it a few times. And I felt like their 3D art didn't really stack up with their 3D tech.

Interesting that they split their IP down dimensional lines. I hope it goes well for both!

robotnik

I haven't heard of any of these games...

giphy.gif
I played, but never liked their games.

Opa-Pa

Title should have said "splitting up" instead, I was really sad thinking they were quiting game development altogether.

I wish them the best. I haven't played all the games, but I remember being very impressed with Dementium and Moon back on the DS, and I loved my time with Mutant Mudds and especially Xeodrifter on 3DS. Xeodrifter is definitely favorite.

Also Jools has always come off as a very humble and passionate guy, and I tend to like their 2D games more so he'll definitely have my attention with whatever project comes next.

I don't get why people are worried about Infitizmo dropping Dementium and Moon tho, those are their only properties now and they can't fund their projects with smaller 2D games anymore, so if anything it sounds to me like they'll capitalize in those two properties as much as possible before making something new.

emb

I liked Xeodrifter well enough. Still hoping for a Mutant Mudds physical release some time. Demo seemed cool.

fernoca

Hmm...I've always liked their 2D games more.

3D games like Dementium back in the DS were great, but then on 3DS...they were still DS games with a few extra effects.

kewlbot

kinda saw this coming
they weren't exactly doing much lately
a split up is a lot better than a total shutdown tho

Davey Cakes

I liked Xeodrifter well enough. Still hoping for a Mutant Mudds physical release some time. Demo seemed cool.

Just starting Xeodrifter myself ($3 on Steam) after enjoying Mutant Mudds on 3DS.

Best of luck on the split venture.

Memory

Doesn't sound like they parted ways as friends? I don't know their history, but this sounds like a relationship break-up kind of situation. Good thing they're still gonna create games though.

They sound cool in this interview given after the split, sounds like the company got too big and money wasn't coming but they had different idea's of how to go forward.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ds_closure_and_whats_next_for_its_co-founders

Please add to OP.

EDIT: The worse part of this is that Treasurenaughts is still know where on the horizon.

Timeaisis

I wish both of them the best of luck. I met Jools once and he was one of the nicest guys I've ever talked to in the games industry. I hope both studios have great success.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I mean the 3D and 2D stuff felt like such wildly disparate directions for the company, I suppose it only makes sense that they part ways.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
/launches Xeodrifter's about section, listens to tune.

Aesnath

I really want a zeodrifter sequel.

I only really had two problems with A: not enough boss diversity and B: too short. Both problems incredibly fixable for a sequel. It was kinda fantastic in every other way.

Top Bottom