• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Renegade Kid pitched a Demon's Crest GBA port to Capcom

maxcriden

Yesterday, Renegade Kid co-founder Jools Watsham shared on Twitter that the company once pitched a Game Boy Advance port of Demon’s Crest to Capcom. Nothing ever materialized from those early discussions though, as low sales of the SNES version didn’t warrant a port to the handheld.

Watsham also said that Renegade Kid “pitched a lot of things” to Capcom as well as Konami. But much like Demon’s Crest, talks did not progress too far.

Watsham’s tweets are as follows:

Little Known Fact: We pitched a GBA port of Demon's Crest to Capcom back in the day. They said the SNES version didn't sell enough.

— Jools Watsham (@JoolsWatsham) March 13, 2016

No, we pitched a lot of things to Capcom and Konami over the years. Nothing landed. https://t.co/lhpqPJoC0S

— Jools Watsham (@JoolsWatsham) March 13, 2016

Via:

http://nintendoeverything.com/reneg...-to-capcom-turned-down-due-to-low-snes-sales/

Perhaps Mr. Watsham can kindly jump in and tell us what other ports were pitched. I wonder if Capcom will release the game on SNES VC for N3DS. It's on Wii and Wii U VC.

BTW, how is the game? What's it like? I don't think I've ever played it. Any other SNES games it's comparable to? I figure Castlevania X or SG&G.

My favorite game of all time. I never knew how much I needed this until right now.

And as to what it's like, think Mega Man X meets Castlevania X with a little less linearity.

Yukinari

Man if Capcom wouldnt let them do Demons Crest cause of sales then i guess that means WayForward will never get to do Ducktales 2?

CTLance

Ugh. Gwah. Ihiiii.

CTLance.exe has stopped working. Press the anykey to reboot.

Oh god. Another Demon's Crest game. And Capcom didn't allow it. That's almost enough to undo all the goodwill they've accrued with me due to MonHan. Almost. Nuooooh. So. Conflicted.

Krejlooc

Banned
Probably wouldn't have sold that well on the GBA either. It's only recently it's gotten recognition.

BTW, how is the game? What's it like? I don't think I've ever played it. Any other SNES games it's comparable to? I figure Castlevania X or SG&G.

Basically Mega Man X with SG&G controls.

lcap

Man, sad to hear that. Demon's Crest is an incredible game and I love Renegade Kid's games. They would surely do a great job.

demon crest was a GREAT game..
the fact that it didn't sell well baffled me at that time really..
gargoyle quest for gameboy was decent..
gargoyle quest 2 for nes was excellent..
demon crest for snes was incredible..

Ok starting tonight i'll resume my marathon *_*

TheMoon

Pff ...this one's way worse:
https://twitter.com/JoolsWatsham/status/709083005009022976
CdcrPExUEAAsrP6.jpg

They pitched a DS port of Ninja Five-O. A game that is not available on Virtual Console and is incredibly expensive on its original format.

Would have been amazing. And perfect for the vertical screen.

Not to hate on RK or anything, but I feel like a GBA port of Demon's Crest would have ended up compromised in some fashion, thanks to the hardware.

CdcrPExUEAAsrP6.jpg

They pitched a DS port of Ninja Five-O. A game that is not available on Virtual Console and is incredibly expensive on its original format.

Now this shit right here? Tragic. The prices for the cart are bonkers.

maxcriden

Thanks all for the clarification on the gameplay! It does sound like fun. Art style's a bit dark for my taste, though.

CdcrPExUEAAsrP6.jpg

That's sad. I hope they can revisit it and get it put on VC. It's kind of special as is as a rare game though.

It seems to be a better game than I realized, too:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/game-boy-advance/ninja-five-o

As I remembered, it's kinda on the brief side, tho:

http://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=6618

I remember reading in an old Nintendo Power, Demon's Crest lost them money. It's a shame, it is a very well made game and atmospheric, though I don't know if that would really carry as much over due to the gba's graphic and sound quality.

Edit: the gameplay is a sidescroller where you go to the stages by flying to them on a mode 7 world map. There are multiple paths through some levels and you should revisit them later to collect secrets because you gain different powerups and demon forms such as vertical flight, swimming, and rock smashing. To get the vest ending you need to collect everything and kill the hidden boss.

galvatron

Yeah, I don't think it would have sold well. All it would do is maybe drop the ebay price of the original.

Great game, from what I remember. I liked the whole series and got them all close to release date.

The only flaws with that game is the slowdown and the weapon switching. If they could have addressed those, it could have been the definitive version of the game.

Demon's Crest is a dope-ass game. I discovered it years after the fact via emulation and fell head over heels in love. Shame it did so poorly, it's a concept ripe for iteration.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Going to say this right now, Capcom made the right call, I never liked the SNES ports on the GBA because of that screen size.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Going to say this right now, Capcom made the right call, I never liked the SNES ports on the GBA because of that screen size.
Yup. That and piss poor sound capabilities.

I remember in the GBA's day, people would talk about how "GBA is basically a portable SNES!". I always rolled my eyes.. "okay......"

Syriel

Man if Capcom wouldnt let them do Demons Crest cause of sales then i guess that means WayForward will never get to do Ducktales 2?

Ugh. Gwah. Ihiiii.

CTLance.exe has stopped working. Press the anykey to reboot.

Oh god. Another Demon's Crest game. And Capcom didn't allow it. That's almost enough to undo all the goodwill they've accrued with me due to MonHan. Almost. Nuooooh. So. Conflicted.

Not wanting to pay a third party developer to port a game is a bit different than not allowing something.

A pitch in this sense isn't typically, "I want to pay you money to license your IP and make an awesome port," but rather "I want you to pay me money to port your IP to another platform."

Raitaro

That ever important "it has to sell well" argument for publishers, how it often makes me depressed...

You'd think a publisher would believe in the quality of a title even when it didn't manage to reach sales expectations originally, especially when that could have been caused by a no. of reasons, none of which being its actual quality. Sometimes people just ignore a good game for no reason, or because of a severe lack of marketing, or a late release in a console's lifespan...which is all the more reason to try again with a relative low cost port I'd say.

Crap. For both Demon's Crest and Ninja Five'O (and god knows what else they had pitched...).

Edit: ^^^ Granted, that is a fair point, but it still makes me sad because Capcom sure as hell seems to have no intention ever to do anything with this game or its series.

Weiss

Banned
Demon's Crest is in my SNES Top 10. One of Capcom's best games.

Firebrand's announcement for UMvC3 was what pushed me over the edge to get a copy, despite how awful I am at fighting games.

I think I'm fine with that. Demon's Crest is a really cool looking game, but it never clicked with me much past the first hour.

A couple years ago I watched a Let's Play of the whole game and even the guy playing it was like "Yeah this kinda runs out of steam after the first couple levels"

It's unfortunate that this didn't pan out and get the game more recognition, but a GBA port of the game wouldn't really be worthwhile, I think - it'd just be a flat-out inferior version, with worse audio and visuals. But it's still too bad. And it especially sucks that that Ninja Five-O port didn't happen either; that game got screwed at the time of its release just as badly as Demon's Crest. EDIT: uh, unless that really was going to be a 3D remake. Dunno about that.

I think I'm fine with that. Demon's Crest is a really cool looking game, but it never clicked with me much past the first hour.

A couple years ago I watched a Let's Play of the whole game and even the guy playing it was like "Yeah this kinda runs out of steam after the first couple levels"

It's pretty consistent in quality throughout. It doesn't get drastically better later in the game or anything (although the final boss is pretty amazing), but it does a good job of constantly introducing new stage elements and of giving you new abilities at a good pace. It's reasonable to not really dig it from the start but I don't think the LPer you mention really knew what he was talking about.

I vaguely recall Capcom saying that DuckTales sold well above expectations, so it's definitely in a decent place right now. I think it's more likely that they'd move to another Disney IP remake like Chip & Dale or Darkwing than do a DuckTales 2 remake.

I can appreciate they wanted to but Mega Man & Bass says we all dodged a bullet.

Buy it on the Virtual Console and have at it. Great game regardless.

CdcrPExUEAAsrP6.jpg

This here is heartbreaking. We needed this one.

Ninja Five-O and Hagane: The Final Conflict need to be on the VC but Konami though so never gonna happen.

A bit disappointing but understandable. Demon's Crest is a great game but no company is going to pay you to port a decade old game that was a bomb when it first came out.

Top Bottom