• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jordan Middler from VGC was told that TLOU Pt. II Remastered was a project for new hires, while Druckmann’s team is working on an original game

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Surely the makeup of the dev team does not change how weird it is that Sony has re-sold the same 2 games 5 times for full price, not including PC ports (which I think are totally fair).

Of course no one is forced to buy it but it just seems strange to do this.
Yeah, but if its just a bunch of newbies and interns working on it then why not, this is a good way to get your feet wet - Before you get to dance with the big boys, and to prevent you from doing shitty work on a big important new IP, prove yourself on the $10 remaster. Helps maintain the quality of the studio, talent will rise to the top.

For those of you calling it lazy, or worried ND has fallen off, this is literally bonus content made by newbies and interns. The big dogs are at work on an original game.

How legit is this leaker? There have been reports of a new IP, but then it was announced that TLOU3 has begun production. So mixed signals. Really hope new IP is true

Production could just be writing and planning.
True, but the reports stated TLOU3 was beginning motion capture. So idk, maybe they do that even when the game is really far out? I would think TLOU3 needs to release by 2028 to keep up with the HBO show. And that is a tall task asking Naughty Dog to release a new IP And TLOU3, and hopefully Factions in that time frame

Killer8

Surely the makeup of the dev team does not change how weird it is that Sony has re-sold the same 2 games 5 times for full price, not including PC ports (which I think are totally fair).

Of course no one is forced to buy it but it just seems strange to do this.

Movie companies released the same movies across VHS, DVD, Blu-ray and now UHD, usually at full price every time.

Musicians released their works across vinyl, cassette tape, CD, SACD and now digital formats, often at full price.

It's stranger that the games industry doesn't update and re-sell its work for a new generation more often. And stranger still that people complain when they do.

Backwards compatibility goes some way to alleviate the overall need, but just relying on that misses the opportunity for improvements and bonus content.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Movie companies released the same movies across VHS, DVD, Blu-ray and now UHD, usually at full price every time.

Musicians released their works across vinyl, cassette tape, CD, SACD and now digital formats, often at full price.

It's stranger that the games industry doesn't update and re-sell its work for a new generation more often. And stranger still that people complain when they do.

Backwards compatibility goes some way to alleviate the overall need, but just relying on that misses the opportunity for improvements and bonus content.

I don't know why you think being more like those horrible industries is a good thing, especially when vidya is many times the size of them put together at this point. Maybe it got that way because devs were focused on making new games and new experiences instead of just repackaging the past and selling it to the same fossilizing boomers over and over. How many T2 releases does the world actually need?

Last edited:
We already knew that they were working on TLoU factions 2. Recently Factions 2 is rumored to be in development hell, and now we're being told they're working on something else?

Ronin_7

We already knew that they were working on TLoU factions 2. Recently Factions 2 is rumored to be in development hell, and now we're being told they're working on something else?
New IP - Druckman, bigger Team
Part III - Early phase, smaller Team

Factions - Likely canned or slow development, dedicated MP Team

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Aaron Paul He Cant Keep Getting Away With This GIF by Breaking Bad

TexMex

….ok? And? Should they be putting senior level talent on a game that is a remaster of a 3 year old game that costs ten bucks? Not sure what we’re uncovering here.

Varteras

Gold Member
….ok? And? Should they be putting senior level talent on a game that is a remaster of a 3 year old game that costs ten bucks? Not sure what we’re uncovering here.
Jordan Middler was responding to someone who, not shockingly, had little idea of what they were talking about. To squash a narrative that Naughty Dog was being forced by Sony to just do remakes and remasters. Wasting time and talent. He wasn't breaking a story as much as he was informing someone they're stupid.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
People act like its a huge waste of time, or expect super crazy upgrades. Unrealistic expectations from a team full of noobs

^ also that, above my post

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Is Naughty Dog a 4-game-in-simultaneous-development studio in terms of manpower?

They have 400 to 500 people. Close to the same size as Insomniac. Now, that doesn't mean they have the same efficiency. Clearly. But they do technically have the manpower to work on 3 or 4 projects at various stages of development. Depending, of course, on the size and scope of the games.

IFireflyl

Gold Member

Are you serious? The difference, which I am baffled to have to point out, is that you used examples where the content was released in different physical formats. The remasters in question could easily be updated with a patch. That obviously doesn't apply to physical formats, such as VHS, DVD, Vinyl, et cetera. You can't just release a patch for a CD and expect it to work in a record player.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Is Naughty Dog a 4-game-in-simultaneous-development studio in terms of manpower?
4 games? No.
2 games + remasters? Yes.

UC LL was made by Kurt Margenau, who later became the co-game-director of TLOU 2, with Neil as the Creative Director. We don't know what he is doing right now. Most likely, working with Neil again on his single-player game as the game director, with Neil being the creative director. So that "B team" had merged into the main team when working and shipping on TLOU 2. That's why they were able to release TLOU 2 in just 34 months after releasing Uncharted Lost Legacy.

The second co-director (TLOU 2) was Anthony, who was working on TLOU 2 Online, along with Vineet, as co-directors. This project is on ice. These 2 now may have shifted to working on the rumored new IP, if the TLOU 2 Online project is 100% on pause.

Shaun also worked on UC LL before leaving Naughty Dog (IIRC). He later joined ND again and shipped TLOU P1 Remake. We also don't know what he is doing now. Most likely, he is not working on a separate game but is working with Neil's main team.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
As long as they're working on a new IP, this is a development W. I can't imagine what a newbie would feel like and their first game is a new Naughty Dog IP. Probably a good idea to train them up through this.
Also helps with learning the PS5, and how it works. This has always been Naughty Dog's way.

They released TLOU PS4 Remastered to learn the PS4. Then delivered Uncharted 4 with unprecedented visual fidelity.

Ozriel

M$FT
The original tweet says ‘new hires’. That also describes industry veterans hired to fill open positions. How this thread spun that to ‘interns’ is really weird.

Not to mention this upgrade also will cover the inevitable PC port…and they’re certainly not going to be light on resources on that after the disastrous release of Part 1 on PC.

That said, a remaster like this isn’t going to occupy a large portion of ND’s resources so they certainly have other large product(s) in the works

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
4 games? No.
2 games + remasters? Yes.

Those are individuals, it would take a lot more people for a project to be in actual development, unless 2~ of those are still in a very early pre-planning stage, which would mean they won't see the light of day for another 2, 3 years at the earliest, hence I asked if they have that kind of manpower.

On Factions, didn't the director say that he's still working on 'that game' a few days ago? It doesn't look like it's 100% canned even if that seems to what most people think.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

There are actually people out there who believe Naughty Dog was using a lot of their developers for this Remaster Project.

This is obviously a smart business move that's just going to generate move sales and profit.

Bridges

Unlike movies and music, you can update a game or have DLC. You don't necessarily have to sell the whole thing again to get improvements and bonus content.

I don't agree that it's strange games aren't rereleased more often, we get constant remakes and remasters now. And for the record, I don't think that's s bad thing. I just think it's unusual to remaster a game that's barely three years old. How many times has that happened before?

StueyDuck

For those of you calling it lazy, or worried ND has fallen off, this is literally bonus content made by newbies and interns. The big dogs are at work on an original game.

ND have what now... like 400 or 500 staff.

It should be obvious that all of them weren't working on a port job.

That being said them and many other Sony studios need to start letting us know soon what they are working on so the stupids don't keep spreading fud

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Those are individuals, it would take a lot more people for a project to be in actual development, unless 2~ of those are still in a very early pre-planning stage, which would mean they won't see the light of day for another 2, 3 years at the earliest, hence I asked if they have that kind of manpower.

On Factions, didn't the director say that he's still working on 'that game' a few days ago? It doesn't look like it's 100% canned even if that seems to what most people think.
2-3 years is very reasonable. I'd be pretty happy if the next game launches in 2025-2026. I'd not be happy if it launched in 2027. The reason is that they released their last game in 2020. AAA games take 5-6 years nowadays, so it'd be par for the course.

And the reason I mentioned the individuals is because those individuals have teams. ND has 400 people to work on multiple games simultaneously.

It's the same reason why we talk about Insomniac's teams: Brian Intihar (Spider-Man 2), Bryan Horton (Miles Morales/Wolverine), and Marcus Smith (Rift Apart / new MP IP)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
2-3 years is very reasonable. I'd be pretty happy if the next game launches in 2025-2026. I'd not be happy if it launched in 2027. The reason is that they released their last game in 2020. AAA games take 5-6 years nowadays, so it'd be par for the course.

And the reason I mentioned the individuals is because those individuals have teams. ND has 400 people to work on multiple games simultaneously.

It's the same reason why we talk about Insomniac's teams: Brian Intihar (Spider-Man 2), Bryan Horton (Miles Morales/Wolverine), and Marcus Smith (Rift Apart / new MP IP)
My problem with ND is that aside from an almost out of schedule Uncharted 4 (almost done out of spite to close the series off 😂), if the next title they make is TLoU III with a remaster for PS6 2-3 years later and that is all the original content they make for PS5 it will suck… what is next TLoU 4? At some point they need to stop milking only that franchise?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
My problem with ND is that aside from an almost out of schedule Uncharted 4 (almost done out of spite to close the series off 😂), if the next title they make is TLoU III with a remaster for PS6 2-3 years later and that is all the original content they make for PS5 it will suck… what is next TLoU 4? At some point they need to stop milking only that franchise?
I agree. As much as I love TLOU (my most favorite franchise!), I'd prefer a new IP over it from ND and then TLOU 3.

But my guess is that the next game will be TLOU 3, and the new IP will come after that because ND/Sony wouldn't want the HBO show to surpass the games.

Let's hope we're wrong and they first release a fantastic new IP, followed by TLOU 3.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
This should be obvious to anyone with a wit of sense, a company the size of ND and with it's talent pool doesnt put it's A or B teams on remasters ffs, no doubt some people from either teams jump in and out as there schedules dictate but I would've expected new staff to cut their teeth on projects like this as it gives management a great overview on their capabilities much like any other industry out there, having said that I really do wish their output matched Insomniac

Bartski

Gold Member
Means they've grown to have 3 games in the pipeline. That's if Factions 2 MP is still a thing, if they really went full reboot an update on VGAs is rather unlikely.

Midn1ght

Smart. The HBO season 2 is coming soon as well so the TV series will help boost the remake game sales. Many new audiences who like the TV show will want to play the games. A win win.
Season 2 is coming in 2025 I believe so it's probably more like "We still need to cook them new games in 2024 so let's give them Remasters".

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
It seems pretty obvious to me they're working on TLoU3. They literally have to. HBO will be pulling another Game of Thrones situation in 2-3 years. They are up against the clock.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I thought the last of us 1 remake was used for rhis reason?

Anyway. 10 dollars is a bargain for this update so I'm in.

How legit is this leaker? There have been reports of a new IP, but then it was announced that TLOU3 has begun production. So mixed signals. Really hope new IP is true
Naughty Dog put out a statement saying they were working on a new single player game. Unclear if it’s a new ip or a sequel tho.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

They're working on 3 games simultaneously...

THoU2 Remake
Factions 2
Next mainline game from Druckman

Naughty Dog is composed of 400+ employees.

Killer8

Are you serious? The difference, which I am baffled to have to point out, is that you used examples where the content was released in different physical formats. The remasters in question could easily be updated with a patch. That obviously doesn't apply to physical formats, such as VHS, DVD, Vinyl, et cetera. You can't just release a patch for a CD and expect it to work in a record player.

Do you think that the only aspect which separates the physical formats is just that they won't play on the next device? Question why the next device needed to be released. The answer is that each physical format is paired with its own set of standards, and when that standard evolves and improves, it necessitates the need for a new player and a more spacious format to go with it. The DVD Video standard, for example, could only play SD video content encoded usually in MPEG-2. The Blu-ray standard could play formats which DVD could not, like "Full HD" video encoded in MPEG-4 with uncompressed PCM surround sound. UHD can now can go up to 4K video encoded in the HEVC format and is HDR-compatible.

None of these discs are compatible with the previous generation ie. a Blu-ray cannot be played on a previous device and a UHD cannot be played on a standard Blu-ray player (just decoding HEVC video would bring PS3 to its knees). This is not unlike games being build for a targeted console spec and then needing to be rebuilt in future for newer and higher standards. The thought that you can just update everything with a patch is naive and completely ignores big changes between generations like architectural and working differences.

In even this Last of Us Part II example, they did patch it for PS5 already, but the limitation there was that they were still working within the constraints of the PS4 app ie. they can only really unlock the performance and some visual settings. Even in the digital realm you still need a demarcation between the PS4 and PS5 generation and so you can't just throw all of the new console's features into the old PS4 app. Making a native PS5 app to fully take advantage of the console is the only way to do that but takes time and money (which people then expect to be provided for free).

FunkMiller

Gold Member
That original game of course being The Last Of Us Part 3.

There's no fucking way after the huge success of the first two games, and now the TV show, that they're leaving Ellie's story where it was at the end of 2.

I'd imagine having a lot of assets from 2 that can now be reused in 3 is a big help as well...

Last edited:
Top Bottom