• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jose Otero is leaving IGN and starting a job at Nintendo

I am sad :(

I haven't really gone on anything IGN related in close to a decade at this point but I have always stuck with NVC.

I hope the show keeps going regularly. The era between Matt and Jose the podcasts never happened regularly but he really brought it back and made it a quality weekly show again.

MoonFrog

Haven't actually listened to NVC since the Switch released, for some reason.

Still I thought Jose was a good host. He kept discussion on point, was measured in his (positive and negative) criticism, and had a good dynamic going (especially with Peer). I listened for him and Peer. Wonder who will replace him.

Peer brings the retro/early games journalism/SFC bent to the podcast.

Jose brought kid with a NES/interest in quirky DS-style games.

I'd like them to get someone interested in those games again. I also think they've always been missing a JRPG angle to their Nintendo podcast. Don't get much Atlus love despite Atlus really putting out some great stuff on DS/3DS, for example. Peer is into old Fire Emblem (I could use more of that talk), but they don't really bring up old JRPG very much either.

Get some DQ/SMT/EO and such love on the podcast, I'd suggest.

Wait, Bozon's working with Matt? I thought he was at Wayforward designing games?
There are two brothers BOZON. MARK is with CASAMASSASSSASASSASAINA (think a "Tattoo from Fantasy Island" type situation) and is very formerly of IGN. MATT is Creative Director at WayForward. Mark used to consult there from time to time, not sure if he still does.

omg just kidding mark i <3 u

TheJoRu

I believe some of his tweets mentioned he was real sick during E3.

No, that was after. Also, Peer mentioned on Twitter that he wasn't on any of their E3 coverage because it would've appeared bad to have him critiquing Nintendo without us knowing he'd be going to work for them shortly after. It had surely already been fully decided at this point that he was going there.

Congratulations, Jose! One of the coolest and nicest folks on any podcast. I will miss looking forward to hearing Mr. Otero break it down every single week.

mark-san

Banned
Hey IGN, My name is Marcos José and i'm a huge Nintendo fan, so if you hire me, you can still have a "Jose" on your IGN Nintendo team. :p

Congrats to Jose Otero for his new job!

RexFury

Well, there goes my last reason for taking in IGN content. I used to check out NVC every so often to see what Jose was thinking.

JMY86

I enjoyed Jose on NVC although he could definitely be really overbearing sometimes. I wish him well in his new job. I am curious how NVC will look from now on...

Mr. Tibbs

A huge loss for IGN. I always enjoyed how he balanced his enthusiasm for the platform with professionalism (always keeping NVC discussions moving forward), and avoided the droll, tired tone so many game writers rely upon. I wish him all the best for his exciting future at Nintendo!

I've gott say, in addition to how happy I am for Jose - I am also very sad to think of NVC without him. Brian and Peer are awesome, but the dynamic just isn't the same without Jose there moderating. I'm hoping Peer (assuming it's up to him) will make a wise decision as to who fills Jose's shoes.

Good news for Jose! Loved his stuff on NVC and IGN in general. I'll still listen to it for Altano and Peer. I'll miss hearing Jose on NVC, but happy for him. Good luck at Nintendo, Jose!

Thoraxes

No way, Jose. :p

But seriously. major congrats to him, and I'll definitely miss listening to him on NVC every week. I always enjoyed his views and enthusiasm for Nintendo.

Best of luck dude, and help make some more awesome things happen there for all of us!

TheMoon

Wait, Bozon's working with Matt? I thought he was at Wayforward designing games?

Nah. I think his WayForward stint was ultra brief. iirc it was IGN -> EGM -> WayForward -> Apple with Matt.
Similar for Craig. IGN -> SEGA -> EA -> Apple
Matt's the only one who went straight IGN -> Apple (he didn't need to work at Nintendo since his wife worked(?works?) there in PR or something.

I may be forgetting some inbetweens. I'm not their mom. :D

Rich George works (worked?) for Golin-Harris, Nintendo's PR firm.

Like I mentioned on the other page, he's still there. You'll see his name in press releases and the fact sheets from E3.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Congrats to him. I will miss his enthusiasm on NVC which has become one of the best Nintendo podcasts IMO.

Matbtz

"Welcoooome to Nintendo Voice Chat..." :'(
Yeah like the most of us NVC listeners, his voice will be missed ! Congrats for the job and I hope we will have some news about him in the future. Good luck Jose.

Omerta

After playing on Sony platforms for so long but recently buying a Switch, I started listening to NVC recently as a proxy Beyond/PSILU...

Honestly, I wish Jose the best and he seems nice but I didn't like his hosting style at all, personally.

I could be wrong but I got the sense that he had to have the final word - I noticed him talking over people a lot, cutting people off and getting louder when another guest did.

Still, he seems like a really genuine guy = good luck.

Man Nintendo keep pinching some of my favorite Podcast People, really wish they would let them start an official Nintendo Podcast one of these days, even if its watered down I still want to hear their voices. A Podcast with the likes of Rich George, Audrey Drake, Jose Otero from IGN, Chad Concelmo who used to be on the old Destructoid Retroforce Go Podcast and Michael Grimm from the LaserTime podcasts would be the best and greatest thing ever.

Congrates to Jose, been listening to you ever since the old 1up days, glad to see you moving on to bigger and better things :)

ckaneo

I guess the elephant in the room, is that Nintendo hiring reviewers kinda gives them an incentive for inflated scores. Audrey was pretty generous, but last I checked Jose was pretty average.

Not accusing anyone of collusion though, I think Audrey just loved Nintendo. But it does kinda set the stage for a bad precedent.

I guess the elephant in the room, is that Nintendo hiring reviewers kinda gives them an incentive for inflated scores. Audrey was pretty generous, but last I checked Jose was pretty average.

Not accusing anyone of collusion though, I think Audrey just loved Nintendo. But it does kinda set the stage for a bad precedent.

I definitely got the feeling that Audrey was gunning for a Nintendo job, so I never trusted her scores and wasn't surprised when she did leave for Nintendo.
I never had that feeling with Jose, but it still makes me uncomfortable.

Jose is awesome and will be as missed as Rich and Audrey.

The bad part is that we will need to swollow Sam Claiborn as the NVC host, wich I think is something bad, tbh.

I hope they finally make Brian Altano the host. Sorry Sam. :/

Yeah, nothing against Sam, but his style and preferences don't jive with what I like to listen to.

suaveric

Who is going to keep reminding everyone that Peer has a ton of money? I won't be missing that aspect of NVC, but other than that Jose ran a tight ship. A job at the Treehouse is too good to pass up.

I'm extremely happy for Jose but also bummed to be losing him on NVC. The show won't be the same without him. I love Peer, Brian, and Sam and am confident the show will still be great but Jose breathed a unique kind of life into it.

Stop stealing our hosts, Nintendo

Edit: keep stealing them if working for you is their dream job - it'd be a dream come true for me as well

-Horizon-

Whoa congrats to him.

I've only started listening a couple months back but I did like him as the host.

Wonder who they'll choose.

Happy-go-lucky Jose, but will really miss NVC without him. I think NBC listeners are still in great hands with Brian and Peer, I just hope they can find someone who will fit in nicely to make up for Jose being gone.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I definitely got the feeling that Audrey was gunning for a Nintendo job, so I never trusted her scores and wasn't surprised when she did leave for Nintendo.
I never had that feeling with Jose, but it still makes me uncomfortable.

It is not fair to single out Nintendo because this is just an example of how game publishers and console makers hold the “balls” of most of the gaming “press”... they control their access to content (pre-order/hype culture depends on early access) and most of these professional game bloggers are gunning for a job at those same companies... how can they truly be inquisitive and criticical of the hands that feeds them? Do they want to be?

See the interviews with game personalities even on Metro vs what you get on the “real game sites” and compare...

Tripon

It is not fair to single out Nintendo because this is just an example of how game publishers and console makers hold the “balls” of most of the gaming “press”... they control their access to content (pre-order/hype culture depends on early access) and most of these professional game bloggers are gunning for a job at those same companies... how can they truly be inquisitive and criticical of the hands that feeds them? Do they want to be?

See the interviews with game personalities even on Metro vs what you get on the “real game sites” and compare...

I always thought it was weird when people attacked Metro and its writers for not giving soft questions to Jim Ryan. Like, if Jim Ryan thought those interviews were too tough, he wouldn't be sitting down to interview in the first place.

Yeah, nothing against Sam, but his style and preferences don't jive with what I like to listen to.

This. He is cool, but his style doesn't fit NVC, sadly.

Also, every single time Sam hosts the show, the sound is low as fuck. I can´t listen to the show when I'm on a bus, for exemple, because the external noise is louder than the show. I wonder what is wrong when this happens.

maxiell

No reason to ever question Jose's integrity. Guy is one of the most truthful and engaging people in the industry.

Anyone know what he will be doing at Nintendo?

Top Bottom