• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

journey is easily the most beautiful console game of the last generation

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Seconding el shaddai, that game was something else. Easily as impressive as journey, with a lot more diversity in art styles.
El Shaddai fell apart with me when I noticed all the reused assets just seemed to have visual filters overlaid over the images.

Journey's a nice looking game but the art direction in regards to the architecture and setting seem a bit too "inspired" by Team Ico's work... not to mention it seems to be trying a little too hard to be artsy. It walks the line very close to being pretentious.

Gadirok

My favorite part about Journey was the multiplayer. I went into it not knowing that it had multiplayer. I thought it just had really oddly programmed AI. I thought the other guy was a tutorial at first, showing me where to go and how to play. Then, he just sort of wandered off. It was so cool, only realized I was actually playing with people until after I finished the game.

I wish I walked into the game like you.

My experience was that I knew what to expect because of all the hype when I got it months later. Then I got paired up with a white robe who carried me the entire game and basically ruined the experience for me. I would have much rather preferred to have been with someone who was playing for the first time. Like myself.

Sakujou

Banned
Does the Vita count as last generation? If so, I submit Tearaway. It's more beautiful than Journey, imo.
you cant compare tearaway with journey.
its vastly different from journey. its colourful and it tries to be a playful world, while journey is something mystical.

@okami-el shaddai:

i knew about it, thats why i bought it.

i was disappointed by the gameplay, but story- and artstyle-wise... holy shit, totally in another dimension.

oh and that soundtrack...
el shaddai smokes journey in a bong, that good is the OST of el shaddai.

you cant compare tearaway with journey.
its vastly different from journey. its colourful and it tries to be a playful world, while journey is something mystical.
Why can't I compare Tearaway with Journey for the purposes of this thread? If it counts as last gen, I think it's the most beautiful console game of last gen. Therefore I think it is more beautiful than Journey.

Ra1den

El Shaddai looked pretty dull most of the time IMO. There were a couple standout parts, but that's it. Same with the OST unfortunately.

zaccheus

Banned
i like that its artsy for the sake of being artsy. it doesn't try to pretend it's going to be very 'gamey' so it embraces the beautiful aspect of it and makes it all about the amazing vistas and flow of the game.

I bought this on my PS3 a while back but I never really played it.

Is it wrong that I am holding off playing it as I expect thatgamecompany to port it to the PS4 like they did with Flower and fl0w

Ra1den

Journey's a nice looking game but the art direction in regards to the architecture and setting seem a bit too "inspired" by Team Ico's work... not to mention it seems to be trying a little too hard to be artsy. It walks the line very close to being pretentious.

Can you give some examples of how the art direction is similar? I don't think they are. There are obvious inspirations taken from Ico in the game overall, but art direction and architecture does not seem to be one of them, other that that they are kinda "mystical."

Journey took inspiration from Ico without aping it, which is the ideal situation when inspiration is involved.

BPoole

Surely, you mean "game". As far as actual games go, I found Trine 2 to be the most aesthetically appealing.

jgmo870

Banned
El Shaddai looked pretty dull most of the time IMO. There were a couple standout parts, but that's it. Same with the OST unfortunately.

Can't think of any time it looked dull. Even the least abstract section, the futuristic one, looks really good.

I thought Beyond Two Souls looked better. But I also think art design trumps technical graphics. And in that sense, Journey is certainly more beautiful. By a large margin.
Yeah. Beyond gets points though for this scene:

beyondbig2_by_dragonbane0-d7192re.gif

Beautiful art direction in that chapter.

Journey is awesome, but there's another title I also consider among the most beautiful of the generation.

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron
1530633-tgs_x_e___w00.jpg

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Never played it on PS3, got Flower and flOw on PS4 now and I can't wait for the inevitable rest of thatgamecompany's library to re-release so I can have a chance at playing this masterpiece.

BibiMaghoo

I didn't really like the game very much, but God of War 3 still holds the crown as the best looking title last gen. It was really something special visually, that was not repeated. I understand much of this was down to art, and rendering techniques, but really it did look fantastic.

I guess I wouldn't call it 'beautiful', but that's mainly because it's excessively violent, gory and brutal...

Even if you don't agree that it's the most beautiful, it may end up being one of the more graphically enduring games of the generation. A title that ages better than most because of it's art style. Kind of like how 16 bit games have aged better than early polygonal games of the 32/64 bit era.

It's beautiful, but I feel like the term"easily" isa bit of an exaggeration. There were certainly other beautiful games that can compete with it.

I wouldn't say it's the most beautiful, but it's certainly one of the most beautiful.

I got the art book, and that's just as stunning as the game. Worth buying if you can get your hands on it.

Uncharted 2 for me, but I haven't played it for a while so could be misremembering. TLoU and Journey have higher highs than UC2, but there are constant moments of jawdropping beauty in UC2, where the art design meets the technical skills and you realise that ND are on the top of their game. It doesn't screen very well though imo.

When I played the El Shaddei demo I found the textures muddy, and the jaggies too noticable for me to overlook. Not sure if its better in the final game, but that was my experience.

Tetraeon

It was certainly one of my favorite games. The art design was completely out of this world. thatgamecompany is probably working on a big first impression for the PS4, as they've put out two masterpieces on the PS3 as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed. Good looking game but no lasting appeal at all.
Having gone through it completely twice over and returned for a few casual sessions just to soar and explore for kicks, I can't wait to go back to that world on the PS4. It has lasting value for me anyway, even though the overall game is short.

Journey was pretty much flawless from a graphical standpoint, no arguments there. That's a game that will prove timeless, that will not age and many years from now players will still gawp at its (to quote Kaz Hirai) "wow-inspring" visuals. It's a stunning achievement as a whole, but those graphics in particular really do take the cake.

Nice to see El Shaddai mentioned so much as well; that is a true contender for most beautiful game of the gen. It offers a much more diverse and surreal range of vistas compared to Journey, so while it's not as consistent, there are times when you will be stunned by what you see on the screen. The 2D platforming level set in the Cathedral with all the various stained-glassed windows serving as a backdrop just floors me every time, as does the futuristic city in chapter 6. Well actually, most of it does.

You should all check out rain sometime. Lots of low-res textures dotted around, but some sections, often when you're outside and it's pouring something fierce and the fixed-camera angle is a long shot of the city, have a special power about them.

Can't forget Ni no Kuni either. A Studio Ghibli film come alive via a controller.

dezzy8

Journey made me cry. No extensive cutscenes or 1000 pages of script needed to touch emotionally. Definitely my favorite digital title of last gen.

kyser73

The most jaw dropping moment in all of gaming.

I think that the lanterns level and
riding on the friendly dragon-thing on the last level beat it.
beat sunset surf.

OT - maybe not 'most' (Okami & Kuni joint tops alongside it, haven't played El-Shaddai) but it is stunning, and a game I've returned to many, many times.

Top Bottom