• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey To The Savage Planet Review Thread

Mista

Banned
maxresdefault.jpg

ACG: Buy

Destructoid: 8.5/10
Journey to the Savage Planet was such a fun way to kick off the decade.

Wccftech: 8/10
Anybody pining for more Metroid Prime needs to put Journey to the Savage Planet at the top of their list. The game has a few rough edges and its sense of humor might not be to all tastes, but it captures that inviting, adventuresome Metroid spirit better than anything I’ve played in a while. This Savage Planet will pull you into its orbit if you give it half a chance.

TheSixthAxis: 8/10
A rollicking space adventure, Journey to the Savage Planet has the smarts to make you laugh out loud while taking shots at consumerism and big business.

COGconnected: 80/100
Journey to the Savage Planet provides highly rewarding exploration and discovery bundled with a genuinely funny sense of humor to make for a worthwhile first-person adventure experience. The game is clearly a labor of love and is only hindered by a few unrefined elements that don’t significantly detract from the overall enjoyment. Though the planet is a savage one indeed, in this case, the risk is absolutely worth taking.

VGC: 4/5
A memorable, if modest, open-world adventure with inventive mechanics and enjoyable exploration.

IGN: 6/10
Journey to the Savage Planet is a game with a lot of nice ideas – trying to single-handedly twist a well-worn genre into new and exciting shapes – but ultimately doesn’t quite have the courage to commit to them. There’s a lot to enjoy, particularly in its opening hours, but for all its grand ambitions, Savage Planet ultimately falls back on tired ideas to see it through to an underwhelming end. Like the ship you’re trying to repair throughout, it’s an admirable thing, but it can’t quite nail the landing.

Push Square: 6/10
It might lack some polish, but Journey to the Savage Planet is an enjoyable jaunt across a strange, open-ended landscape. This is a game you play in order to explore its intriguing environment and interact with the wildlife -- combat is fairly dull, attempts at humour rarely land, and the story almost feels like an afterthought at times. If you're looking for an easy-going sci-fi action game, this just about does enough to satisfy.

PC Gamer: 84/100
Funny, fresh, and full of surprises, Typhoon’s debut blends genres expertly. Co-op doesn’t add much, though.

VG247: 4/5
As any Trekkie will tell you, discovery is addictive, and Journey to the Savage Planet is almost all discovery.

Press Start: 7.5/10
Journey to the Savage Planet is a concise yet well focused adventure that channels the best bits of games like Metroid and Prey. Despite this, some unsatisfying combat and repetitive locales keep it from being the achievement that it could be.

Usgamer: 2.5/5
Journey to the Savage Planet puts you in a brilliantly colorful world, and tasks you with exploring to your heart's content. The moment-to-moment exploration is enjoyable, but the act of combat offers very little in the way of a challenge. The score and insane FMV adverts give Journey to the Savage Planet a lot of personality, but the tiresome parody nature of the writing really lets it down.

Twinfinite: 3.5/5
Journey to the Savage Planet is well worth checking out if you’re looking for something to fill the void of time you’ve got during this fairly quiet start to 2020. The sense of exploration drives you forward, the satirical comedy lands every time, and the presentation on the whole just adds to the magical sense of exploring and mapping an uncharted planet.

Metro GameCentral: 8/10
A beautiful, colourful, and bitingly satirical sci-fi Metroidvania that also has a welcome respect for your spare time.

Shacknews: 8/10
Journey to the Savage Planet is playing in a genre full of titans, and it’s holding its own. The quirky environments and slick traversal systems make it a pleasure to explore. While the humor doesn’t always land, it still has a charm to it. If you can find someone to go on an adventure with you, there’s a lot of entertainment to be found in this bubbly and zany little package.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Thanks for posting this!
Game didn't get a ton of press until recently. I see IGN rated it...low. But hmm, well regardless for what it offers I had a total blast.
IGN being IGN ma nothing new here and I honestly don't know how people still even consider them

In a different note I enjoyed your review a lot as always! Can't wait to play tomorrow

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
If only No Man's Sky had such gunplay and overall FPS combat, but looks like devs don't care to make it even slightly better.

GHG

Skill Up liked it (edit: after watching it more he doesn't seem to like it that much... Good game but not great, metroidvania on rails which, markers kill a lot of the organic exploration) :

If only No Man's Sky had such gunplay and overall FPS combat, but looks like devs don't care to make it even slightly better.

This isn't an FPS either though... It's more of a 3D metroidvania.

Last edited:

Karak

Skill Up liked it (edit: after watching it more he doesn't seem to like it that much... Good game but not great, metroidvania on rails which, markers kill a lot of the organic exploration) :

This isn't an FPS either though... It's more of a 3D metroidvania.

Ya golden path not exploring or looking around I can see that maybe being an issue.
But finding the secrets, the other ways to do things and just the sheer amount of unique places to get. Exploration CAN be had

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Vawn

Banned
IGN's scores seem to carry more weight than any other sites. Which is unfortunate, because lately their scores have been way out of line with most people's opinions (either significantly higher or lower than the average).

chris121580

I’ve been playing this all afternoon/evening and it’s so fun. The upgrades are fantastic and love the exploration aspect of it. Can’t recommend it enough

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
IGN and USGamer were really harsh on it, but at the same time i've watched reviews from Boomstick gaming and few others and they were very positive.

It's like Metroid Prime-ish world in a more colorful art style and with cute monsters.

IGN and USGamer were really harsh on it, but at the same time i've watched reviews from Boomstick gaming and few others and they were very positive.

It's like Metroid Prime-ish world in a more colorful art style and with cute monsters.

Yeah it seems like a cool game but I can’t help but feel it’s a “wait for sale” game for me

scalman

I liked it , tried maybe 4 hrs into game and enjoyed it , was fun , open , interesting exploring, upgrading stuff to reach new places and they dont hold your hand where to go or how to do it, for that its great. Again not got boring at all, cool game. Stuck on second boss though, but will figure out him eventually

Reactions: Isa

Isa

I was interested since the reveal, but was holding off for impressions. ACG's review got me to get it. I have to say the price point is nice as well.

Stuart360

Game is pretty good. I enjoyed my 2 hours so far. I did die 2 times in that 2 hours, and although it was only 2 times, both deaths were annoying and out of my control, which annoyed me enough to stop playing lol.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Thanks for posting this!
Game didn't get a ton of press until recently. I see IGN rated it...low. But hmm, well regardless for what it offers I had a total blast.
Mentioned this in another thread but picked the game up because of your review! If at all possible (and this may be a pain in the ass) but can you put links to amazon supported links of physical copies or list your creator tag for (EGS) on your reviews? This is the 3rd or 4th game I bought off of your work and would like the folks that spend advertising $ to know who's content converted me to a buyer. Your patron is great as well...just hoping anything else would help boost your work/signal/whatever the kids call it these days.

chris121580

Finished it today. Really enjoyed every minute of it. I haven’t 100%’d a game in years but plan to do it with this one.

My only complaint would be how you level up your character. I didn’t really enjoy the things you had to do. I only ended up at level 2

Game is sold out at all Eb Games around me in Canada and they say they have no idea when they'll get it in stock. I really want a physical copy of this and want to avoid digital but I might not have a choice now.

scalman

yes game is not serious at all, but sometime it gives too much chalange or too hard bosses maybe so you need to fight more then you would wanted. i would want more exploring , or then lower difficulty level but it doesnt have one i think.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I ordered it. Any time I hear "Metroid" or "Metroidvania" it's a buy from me. Even if it only has some of those elements.

TheUsual

Gold Member
So I've played this for about 3 hours and I'm really liking it. The world is very colorful and has a great sense of exploration. Scaled some areas and looked around and recognized the areas below me were places I just trudged through. Same with looking off in the distance: it definitely looks like those are attainable places to go.

Not seeing much talk on this which is a shame. Shame that the developer got bought by Stadia though. I can only imagine a sequel to this with a bigger scale.

Top Bottom