• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joycon connection issue may be hardware related

Rarius

How the hell does Nintendo Support even work. I'm in a loop of "need a repair, go to this page"... and there's nothing there but generic instructions. There seems to be no way to actually contact them outside of phone.

ss_lemonade

I was playing Zelda last night and Link would sometimes randomly walk on his own and not respond to my inputs for a second or 2. Is this the same issue? If so, that sucks because I sit less than 6 feet away from the Switch with nothing standing in between.

lionpants

I was playing Zelda last night and Link would sometimes randomly walk on his own and not respond to my inputs for a second or 2. Is this the same issue? If so, that sucks because I sit less than 6 feet away from the Switch with nothing standing in between.
Yup. Same issue.

Easy to reproduce by spinning the left joystick and while spinning, put the controller behind your back.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

Yeah that's it, and Nintendo's answer doesn't cut it. This shouldn't be happening.

TheYanger

Left - A421 - Have had mostly fine but had one night where it happened repeatedly while the switch was very close to me.

Right - A521 - fine.

both grey

I'm looking at my blue joycon but can't see an A or G number like you are all talking about, is it inside or on the small print on the back?

Rocket786

GameStop accepting my return. However, I have to decide if I want to ask them for a replacement or a refund. I have no idea which to request as Nintendo isn't even acknowledging their fuck up to give me peace of mind that if I get a 2nd dud, they will take care of me.

Can't believe I have to go this route, but I refuse to let a major corporation take my money and give me a shitty product in return, and then tell me that it may be my setup that's creating interference and that it isn't their fault. Fuck off.

Now I'm essentially stuck with BotW without a console. Thanks Nintendo.

Souzetsu

I tested my Joy-Con here at work with the Switch undocked.

Neon Blue Left: A431
Neon Red Right: A461

Tested both from about 8 feet away and saw no issues with the stick test. To up the ante, I stuck my hand inside the metal filing cabinet at the same distance. Still rock solid. Maybe I'm lucky? Though this is the only test I've done myself. Will do more testing just to make sure.

I have the Joy-Con Neon Red Left and Neon Blue Right bundle coming in this weekend so I will test those too.

EDIT: Also there are a lot of Wi-Fi networks in this area. We have our own UniFi Long Range AP as well.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
GameStop accepting my return. However, I have to decide if I want to ask them for a replacement or a refund. I have no idea which to request as Nintendo isn't even acknowledging their fuck up to give me peace of mind that if I get a 2nd dud, they will take care of me.

Can't believe I have to go this route, but I refuse to let a major corporation take my money and give me a shitty product in return, and then tell me that it may be my setup that's creating interference and that it isn't their fault. Fuck off.

Now I'm essentially stuck with BotW without a console. Thanks Nintendo.

The cynical side of me thinks they were ready to go with that interference statement, and by shifting the blame away from the hardware to consumers this is totally not getting the attention it should be. Broken by manufacture or design they are broken, and a console with broken controllers is a big fucking deal.

And as you say unless they acknowledge it there is no knowing if replacements will resolve it or having to go through the whole thing again.

Rocket786

The cynical side of me thinks they were ready to go with that interference statement, and by shifting the blame away from the hardware to consumers this is totally not getting the attention it should be. Broken by manufacture or design they are broken, and a console with broken controllers is a big fucking deal.

And as you say unless they acknowledge it there is no knowing if replacements will resolve it or having to go through the whole thing again.

It's really frustrating as I've been on the Zelda hype train with everyone else. However, my controller keeps deciding to have a mind of its own every 4-5 minutes and can last up to 30 seconds at a time until I do some gymnastics to try to resolve.

If my order was from Amazon, I'd ask for a replacement in a heartbeat because whether Nintendo takes care of me or not, I know Amazon would. However, I don't have that confidence with Gamestop. I'm surprised they are allowing me to return in the first place and not looking for reasons to put this on me. I can't ask them for a replacement and risk getting another faulty console and then having them not take it back. I have to get a refund. :(

NYR

The media needs to cover this story more. The NY Times did a Q and A with Reggie and it was pure fluff, none of the concerns were brought up about QA and issues.

It's really frustrating as I've been on the Zelda hype train with everyone else. However, my controller keeps deciding to have a mind of its own every 4-5 minutes and can last up to 30 seconds at a time until I do some gymnastics to try to resolve.

If my order was from Amazon, I'd ask for a replacement in a heartbeat because whether Nintendo takes care of me or not, I know Amazon would. However, I don't have that confidence with Gamestop. I'm surprised they are allowing me to return in the first place and not looking for reasons to put this on me. I can't ask them for a replacement and risk getting another faulty console and then having them not take it back. I have to get a refund. :(
Good luck getting a refund with an opened console though.

I really think if they get enough calls or complaints bout it they will be forced to address it by the end of the month.

LoveCake

The media needs to cover this story more. The NY Times did a Q and A with Reggie and it was pure fluff, none of the concerns were brought up about QA and issues.

I don't have a Switch but I have been reading about members issues :(

The media do need to start to pick this up, the gaming media need to pick this up first, there have been a couple of mentions from 'The Know' I don't know if they could be contacted directly about it as a start?

I don't know what the feeling is for people on Reddit with the same issue, they could maybe help or join into highlight this issue.

From what I have read in this thread after keeping tabs on it, the situation seems to be getting worse and more prevalent :/

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

Zelda is the best game I've played in years, I think it's a masterpiece. And the reason I'm getting more and more annoyed is this is taking the enjoyment out of it and it should never have happened. Not just dealing with a suicidal Link, but the mere act of sitting down to play it. I want to play it on the TV, to me that just feels right even though handheld mode is still great. But now each time I'm wondering whether the left joycon will be having a good day or a bad day. It's putting me off playing it, and the game deserves better than that.

And as consumers WE deserve better than that.

Dinjoralo

Once I get home and have access to my dad's basement of tools, I'm cracking this thing open and putting a bit of wire in there. We've done more intensive fixes.

Glix

Not trying to stary console war be or anything, more wanna talk about precedent.

Some users have insane issues with xbone controllers disconnecting constantly. They have tried to remove all possible interference (according to the posts) and have bought multiple controllers and always have the issue.

1. Is it possible its the same issue? Plasma screen glass pane pr something like that?

2. Did MS ever make a statement/officially address it/offer replacements?

Deckard - It even happens when the joycon is in the grip, or only when enclosed in your hand?

NYR

So lots of part numbers..

non working so far from this thread

G38A, A521, G491, G41A, A441, A501

working

G501 (2 people confirmed), G34A

I know a lot of people with working controllers probably won't even read this thread, but just trying to be helpful
You can add mine to the list of non working:

H011

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Deckard - It even happens when the joycon is in the grip, or only when enclosed in your hand?

Happens with both.

Mine seems very inconsistent. Can play for hours sometimes, other times it's occasional, or most recently quite regularly. Complete L+R disconnects are fairly common, sometimes as quickly as just waking it up, and that usually involves going right up to the console before it will find the left one again.

It just feels like it's very low power and if someone sneezes it might upset it. Never had these issues with a wireless controller going all the way back to the Wavebird.

AzaK

So this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb-srOfRqNc is number six trending. Yesterday it had over three million views and today it has over five million views. It's viral for sure and I'm wondering could something like this destroy the Switch.

Probably not destroy but not help. That said the saddest thing for me out of that is seeing that Zelda footage at the start and realising the game is NOWHERE near that in reality. I didn't think Nintendo bullshotted.

Glix

Gaf is usually smarter than me so im sure this was covered already, but is there any chance its a weird dock issue?

Can you recreate it in kickstand mode? Might need someone to watch the screen for you as you will be far back but its worth a shot

NYR

Gaf is usually smarter than me so im sure this was covered already, but is there any chance its a weird dock issue?

Can you recreate it in kickstand mode? Might need someone to watch the screen for you as you will be far back but its worth a shot
Yep. Mine does the same thing in tabletop mode. It is a connection issue between the joycon and the console.

Glix

Yep. Mine does the same thing in tabletop mode. It is a connection issue between the joycon and the console.

Ahhh man, Im so sorry bro thats sucks i would be bummed. (This is a big deal its super difficult to have empathy for ranger fans and fancy henrik)

I guess it cant be enviormental either as im sure you guys have taken it somewhere else and had the same issues.

Maybe... you all have apple watches and its a smart watch interference issue? That was mostly a joke.

ss_lemonade

I tried using the included grip for the first time yesterday and it happens there too for me. This honestly feels almost like the one time I tried using my wiimote on my PC with a cheap bluetooth adapter, where I would experience intermittent connection drops and a spotty signal. Just *almost* since it's still better than that experience

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Wow, simple fix and seems to do a great job too. How the hell Nintendo missed this issue is beyond me? Did they only test in tiny rooms or standing close to the Switch?

I do wonder how much testing in the wild was done with the Switch.

boiled goose

good with gravy
If there are actual versions that perform differently that would be fascinating.

Probably a change that didn't get thorough testing

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
If there are actual versions that perform differently that would be fascinating.

Probably a change that didn't get thorough testing

Can imagine Nintedo just crossing off the numbers as they're returned until there's one left.

"Sir! We've found revision 2!"

Not trying to stary console war be or anything, more wanna talk about precedent.

Some users have insane issues with xbone controllers disconnecting constantly. They have tried to remove all possible interference (according to the posts) and have bought multiple controllers and always have the issue.

1. Is it possible its the same issue? Plasma screen glass pane pr something like that?

2. Did MS ever make a statement/officially address it/offer replacements?

Haven't heard much about Xbox controllers. Is this a new issue with the ones that use Bluetooth now?

Red

Zelda is the best game I've played in years, I think it's a masterpiece. And the reason I'm getting more and more annoyed is this is taking the enjoyment out of it and it should never have happened. Not just dealing with a suicidal Link, but the mere act of sitting down to play it. I want to play it on the TV, to me that just feels right even though handheld mode is still great. But now each time I'm wondering whether the left joycon will be having a good day or a bad day. It's putting me off playing it, and the game deserves better than that.

And as consumers WE deserve better than that.
Yeah, Link has killed himself multiple times in my game due to the left analog getting stuck. He ends up walking over cliff sides. Last night near the end of a 20+ minute boss fight in a desert area, I was finally nearing the end of this thing's health bar. I had run out of all projectile weapons and was rolling bombs down from a safe platform above the sand. I had a few hits left to complete this arduous process when I tried adjusting my position relative to the cliff edge. The left joycon disconnected, Link kept running forward, and I died of fall damage. Nearly half an hour down the drain.

Just to try to help, where do you find the model numbers for the joycons? I haven't found anything on the joycons themselves that matches the models you guys are listing. Maybe I'm not seeing it clearly.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Just to try to help, where do you find the model numbers for the joycons? I haven't found anything on the joycons themselves that matches the models you guys are listing. Maybe I'm not seeing it clearly.

On the side down the bottom, under the three arrow button.

Tobe

Left: A461 bad issues heavy disconnects and a faulty L button to boot. talked to the store on what they can do about it they gonna answer tomorrow.

Top Bottom