• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JP translation needed. Dual Layer Blu-Ray to get 80% yields.

Oni Jazar

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20060901/sony2.htm

Thanks Mmmkay. We got our translation.

A demonstration was held at the end of the replication line, picked up DL disc randomly and played on the BD ready VAIO Type R PC. Not only 1st layer but also second layer played flawlessly. Demonstrated title was "The Bridge on The River KWAI".

According to Sony, the yield ratio of the line is "around 85% for SL and 80% for DL". It is said that DVD's number is 90% to 95% in this facility, there is more room to be improved.

Sony is now preparing BD replication structure at 3 bases of Japan, US and Europe, for video titles and PS3 game softwares. At the beginning, capacity would be 300,000 discs per month, they are planing to expand lines and achieve 2,500,000 discs production per month by the end of the year. In the same way, they are targeting 5,000,000 in US and 2,500,000 in Europe, establishing 10,000,000 production structure in total.

Mmmkay

There's a translation by Rio from AVS:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8341219&&#post8341219
A demonstration was held at the end of the replication line, picked up DL disc randomly and played on the BD ready VAIO Type R PC. Not only 1st layer but also second layer played flawlessly. Demonstrated title was "The Bridge on The River KWAI".

According to Sony, the yield ratio of the line is "around 85% for SL and 80% for DL". It is said that DVD's number is 90% to 95% in this facility, there is more room to be improved.
Sony is now preparing BD replication structure at 3 bases of Japan, US and Europe, for video titles and PS3 game softwares. At the beginning, capacity would be 300,000 discs per month, they are planing to expand lines and achieve 2,500,000 discs production per month by the end of the year. In the same way, they are targeting 5,000,000 in US and 2,500,000 in Europe, establishing 10,000,000 production structure in total.

Arsenal

DarienA said:
Which rumor are you referring to?

Probably the one that said they were getting 30% yields. Which probably was correct, but that was some time ago and it sounds like they have made a lot of progress. Its definitely good for BR though, a lot of people were wondering if the 50GB discs would make it out this year.

Elios83

The first 50GB movies will be released this year,which coupled with better codecs is what everyone was expecting.

Arsenal said:
Probably the one that said they were getting 30% yields. Which probably was correct, but that was some time ago and it sounds like they have made a lot of progress. Its definitely good for BR though, a lot of people were wondering if the 50GB discs would make it out this year.

Yeah, that's the one.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Arsenal said:

That was for the laser not the discs IIRC.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Not sure about specific figures - I can't remember - but there were rumours and suggestions that BD50 yields were in the crapper. So it's good to hear otherwise.

Various news reports have Nichia, who owns 80% of the relevant diode production capacity worldwide, getting only 30% yield on their blue-laser diodes. Not sure about pressed disc yields but the diode production is the thing that would have a large impact on PS3 production this fall.

gofreak said:
Not sure about specific figures - I can't remember - but there were rumours and suggestions that BD50 yields were in the crapper. So it's good to hear otherwise.

I seem to remember that thread on AVS forums where Amir was saying that that dual layer Japanese Anime title had to be so expensive because dual layer cost a fortune to produce because of the yields.

That guy...

ThirdEye

No BD50 can exist on earth, no 1080 TV set can exist on earth, no 1080p games can exist on earth. So I was told.

---- said:
Dual-layer BD-Rom is not happening. The first dual layer disc, Black Hawk Down was supposed to be released yesterday, but has been cancelled because dual-layer is not working. They can't get yields high enough to release dual layer discs. Many people believe that the layers are so thin that the process will never be commercially viable.

Well, so much for that fanboy FUD.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114638&page=2&highlight=BD-RE+50GB

Raistlin

I actually do recall some mention of 30% yields for BD50 ROM's ... I'm sure it would be easy to find the reference at AVS.

I'm too lazy to look though, and it is moot (and may have been FUD) anyway.

sonycowboy said:
I seem to remember that thread on AVS forums where Amir was saying that that dual layer Japanese Anime title had to be so expensive because dual layer cost a fortune to produce because of the yields.

That guy...
Do you mean AIR? If so... well, there's a thread on it in OT, but seriously LOL. I hope he caught flak for that and had his butt handed to him. I honestly don't understand how the AVS guys can suck up to the FUD'er.

Drek

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Various news reports have Nichia, who owns 80% of the relevant diode production capacity worldwide, getting only 30% yield on their blue-laser diodes. Not sure about pressed disc yields but the diode production is the thing that would have a large impact on PS3 production this fall.
Do you have a link to a news report that says "30%"? I've seen quite a few high speculative "reports" (i.e. rumors) that say production is low.

Also, Sony has an exclusive license with Nichia to produce blue laser diodes, so the impact on PS3 is not readily apparent, as they could be producing their own as well as buying Nichia's.

Drek said:
Do you have a link to a news report that says "30%"? I've seen quite a few high speculative "reports" (i.e. rumors) that say production is low.

Nichia, which currently holds 80% of the global blue laser diode supply, reported that its yield rate for blue laser diodes reached 30%, according to the makers. However, the actual output still falls behind the demand, the makers said.

http://www.cepro.com/news/editorial/14890.html
http://www.dvd-recordable.org/Article2921.phtml

Top Bottom