• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JRPGs with a Wiimote

Azazela

Banned
How would they work? I can only imagine something action oriented stuff working out with a Wiimote. Of course there might be motion turn based RPGs that require you to make motions in the air (Like in Black & White).

I'm kinda having a hardtime coming up with something. There is always the rail shooter Panzer Dragoon like RPGs that could work.

Amir0x

Banned
menu based control, some waggle to add extra power to your hit, probably some new wiimote based battle system for a jRPG

or you can just go the traditional route

Ponn

Banned
I would like to see a SRPG like Disgaea, I think those would be perfect. I actually would love to see alot of these RPG's from Atlus and such move to Wii. I love the idea of a one handed controller for RPG's. Wouldn't really add anything new to the gameplay but from a pure laziness viewpoint they should be great. Cheetos in one hand, controller in the other.

Vark

Amir0x said:
menu based control, some waggle to add extra power to your hit, probably some new wiimote based battle system for a jRPG

I was going to say turn it sideways, you only need the two buttons and a d-pad anyway.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I would rather it be one handed. You can play most RPGs with one hand anyway.

Unison

4c_1.JPG

That with waggling to do special moves would be awesome.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I think the potential is huge, and there are several routes that could be chosen. I like the following ideas:

1. Single hand gaming. You know, for ...the cutscenes...
2. JRPGs are perfect for random minigames in disguise (ie Motorcycle chase, pick the lock, etc). Square would be perfect at this.
3. Battle Methods: clearly we would want some sort of ATB with added functionality, like using the proper wiimote stroke against certain attacks to improve defense, or vise versa. Also could be used to cast certain spells.
4. Quick room searches. You know, the pointer stays a pointer until you roll over something you can look at, play with, pick up, talk to, etc...then it turns to a hand or an exclamation point.

I want to see a true FF game on the Wii, but I will be content with DQ for now, assuming the rumored DQ9 exclusive is true.

ronito

oh it would be cool, you could use the wiimote to brush the Hero's androgynous/metrosexual hair. It would be dreamy!

jjasper

Teasel said:
did you see anything special happen with ds rpg?
no?
then it's going to be the same for the wii!
The only rpg we know anything about has battles in first person swinging the wiimote as a sword so you are already wrong.

jarosh

Amir0x said:

your lack of imagination saddens me ami

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I would rather it be one handed. You can play most RPGs with one hand anyway.
good idea

Azazela

Banned
Teasel said:
did you see anything special happen with ds rpg?
no?
then it's going to be the same for the wii!

I think touchscreen is a gimmick, Wiimote is not.

Please don't eat me alive NFans :D

bhytre

It's not like JRPG's are really complicated to control anyway, there are single-hand controllers that have been released in the past, that says enough already.
BTW 4 months rofl!

birdchili

one thing's for certain: the Wii's revolutionary control will make random encounters a thing of the past and usher in a new golden age of innovative jRPG goodness!!

oh wait... <cough>

one-handed control, pointer-based menus, and easly on the waggle - playing a 40 hour game that requires you to swing that thing around is going to be untenable.

the ASCII Grip was fantastic for ps1 rpgs, and the wiimote is pretty-much superior in every way - if there is good support it's going to be a fantastic interface for turn-based/slow-paced rpgs.

Azazela

Banned
bhytre said:
It's not like JRPG's are really complicated to control anyway, there are single-hand controllers that have been released in the past, that says enough already.
BTW 4 months rofl!

Bhytre
RainbowAfroIndifferent.gif

But we need some waggly combat in JRPGs that would be pretty great if done right, especially in action oriented stuff. Hell like the old school FPS Western D&D RPGs
love.gif

Rahul

Which mod can I bribe to get rid of these wank posters with their wank emotes at the end of every wank sentence?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Isn't this obvious?

RPGs = Menus

Wiimote = Pointer interface perfect for navigating menus

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
It has a dpad, buttons and an analogue stick. Am I missing something here?

I don't think the pointing is good for your typical rpg menu. It would have to be something different like the ring menus in secret of mana.

Azazela

Banned
BocoDragon said:
Isn't this obvious?

RPGs = Menus

Wiimote = Pointer interface perfect for navigating menus

Problem with that is that it's not creating new gameplay, and pressing a D-Pad might actually be easier for prolonged periods of times than actually pointing at stuff with a Wiimote.

I'm talking about actual gameplay improvements/alternatives here.

Tiktaalik

Azazela said:
That kinda annihlates the point of the Wiimote... So no :)

JRPG's aren't exactly action oriented. Why would you try to fit a square peg in a circular hole? You don't HAVE to use every single feature of the Wiimote.

I would either say that they'll just use it as an NES pad, or maybe just use the pointer to point to where people should move. Sort of like Animal Crossing Wild World.

pestul

I thought we all agreed that turn-based RPGs (excluding tactics/strategy) should be thrown to the dogs anyway?

Azazela

Banned
pestul said:
I thought we all agreed that turn-based RPGs (excluding tactics/strategy) should be thrown to the dogs anyway?

I enjoyed nearly every turn based RPG this gen... Even slow crap like Xeonsaga 2 :lol

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
pestul said:
:lol
Silly person. Open your eyes. Variety is king.

Jiggy

Azazela said:
How would they work?
With the retro-style controller, ideally. It's one thing to ask a person to either 1) wave the Wiimote around or 2) have the concentration to tilt the Wiimote slightly to point at things in a 5-8 hour game, but in a 40-80-hour experience... yeah, I don't think so.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Jiggy37 said:
With the retro-style controller, ideally. It's one thing to ask a person to either 1) wave the Wiimote around or 2) have the concentration to tilt the Wiimote slightly to point at things in a 5-8 hour game, but in a 40-80-hour experience... yeah, I don't think so.
Er uh what?
Logic, broken!

Amir0x said:
some waggle to add extra power to your hit

I'm SURE the next Mario RPG will do something like this.

But, yeah, aside from minigames, it seems like you'd have to make a pretty big departure from the usual RPG standards if you wanted to incorporate the Wiimote. That's OK, though. I like the Wiimote, but I don't think that every game needs waggle! Traditional controls are good too; the Wiimote is just cool because it offers some new options.

Rahul

Greenpanda said:
I'm SURE the next Mario RPG will do something like this.

But, yeah, aside from minigames, it seems like you'd have to make a pretty big departure from the usual RPG standards if you wanted to incorporate the Wiimote. That's OK, though. I like the Wiimote, but I don't think that every game needs waggle! Traditional controls are good too; the Wiimote is just cool because it offers some new options.
Wouldn't you think the Wii would make a fine opportunity for game developers to finally abandon hand-copying game designs off your archaic list of cliches?

As mentioned before I can see a Paper Mario RPG, specifically the battle mechanics, designed around the Wiimote. Spinning or winding the hammer by spinning the remote. Flicking the remote to build up jumps, etc. at specific intervals.

birdchili

pestul said:

i think it was that turn-based rpgs should *involve* some tactics/strategy.

just because the genre is in a rut doesn't mean that it isn't going to continue (look at sales for dq:viii). these are slow-paced, deliberate games, and even though much of what has been released lately reeks of rehash and lack of inspiration, there's definitely a place for an rpg genre that isn't either action-rpgs or giant-tactical-battle-based ones.

-----

good wiimote rpg stuff

- giant 3d overworlds with flying characters (wiimote flight is going to be tons of fun)
- gestures for faster-than-menus combat (flick for slash, point for targetting, combine gestures for custom spells, etc...)
- customize stuff with painted insignias and gear
- one-handed play means no stopping required for supper or beverage consumption.

They wouldn't even have to do any motion sensing. Nintendo has said repeatedly that one of the goals with the controller was to be able to support games that only require one handed control. That was entirely separate from the motion sensing part, which has different goals. Designing an RPG that just uses the d-pad and buttons on the remote part (which shouldn't be hard at all, quite honestly) would fit in line fine with the controller's goals. Hell, if I'm going to play a Japanese RPG, I'd rather do it that way. They're not exactly the most active games.

Symytry

for some reason I just thought of the Wii remomte for use with the Saturn's WACHENRODER. It would be pretty sweet revving up that chainsaw sword :)

The End

I wouldn't worry too much.

You know, because of all the great JRPGs on nintendo consoles the last two generations.

birdchili

The End said:
I wouldn't worry too much.

You know, because of all the great JRPGs on nintendo consoles the last two generations.

sure, the ps3 is heir-apparent to the jrpg crown, but wii is looking pretty good in the launch window with two rpgs on-deck (FF and DQ spinoffs). ps3 has FF:XIII coming (with possible alt-versions on other consoles) and an SMT game (announced as exclusive? unsure.), neither of which are likely to show up soon.

for jrpgs before fall 2007 your best bet is going to be ps2 and wii (with xbox360 a dark horse i suppose).

considering the early days of a new console tend to be a desert on the rpg front, wii is doing pretty well. i'd hazard a guess that Nintendo is actively courting the rpg devs more passionately than they did for GC due to the massive installed-base-swing they can seemingly cause.

Teasel

jjasper said:
The only rpg we know anything about has battles in first person swinging the wiimote as a sword so you are already wrong.
well not because it's called dragon quest it has to be an rpg
if it play like kenshin dragon quest then it's not an rpg

Top Bottom