• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Judge Tells Macy's to Stop Shakedown of Minority Customers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bruh wtf. How are they not closed down permanently for this shit?

Like usual, money and pull to keep the right people silent or at least lenient. Pair that with the fact that the people they're taking advantage of are a disenfranchised group and it becomes simple for the company.

tirminyl

A similar experience that I had when I was a teenager, though this was at JC Penney.

That poor woman. They have not learned if this continually happens. Everyone needs to be replaced and they need to be taken to the cleaners.

Odoul

her credit card was removed from her wallet and charged for the full amount.

In an article full of bullshit this is standing out to me.

How...?

I am not a braggart or internet tough guy but somebody is getting their ass kicked before this happens, whether it's the person going through my wallet or me.

I really can't imagine someone being that compliant to authority.

wildfire

Banned
For the same reason 90% of our stores, our schools, our courts, and our prisons are still open. Because most Americans either actively support this sort of thing or are ambivalent.

While that's possible this story seemingly broke only now and by a publication in the UK. WTF are local NY papers doing to not notice this?

The manager approached her with documents, and told her to sign them repeatedly and pay $100 in order to go home. Moftah hadn’t eaten all day – it was Ramadan. When she began to cry, she was threatened with handcuffs and taunted for stealing during Ramadan and being Muslim, according to her affidavit. The Macy’s manager returned and told her the new price to go home would be $500. When she refused to do so, her credit card was removed from her wallet and charged for the full amount.

this is some bullshit wtf

Dishwalla

Banned
Wow. Don't believe I have ever set foot in a Macy's(went to The Bon Marche years back before Macy's bought them out) and now I have a reason to actually avoid them. Fuck Macy's, what the fuck.

When my sister was like 15, she and a friend tried to shoplift some clothing from Macy's, and 2 male employees and a female employee brought the girls to a little room and made them strip down to their underwear.

When my dad was finally called in, the employees were arguing with the other girl's parents and threatening to call the police. He pointed at the female employee who had been there when the male employees made them strip and yelled "YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER!" at the top of his lungs, and just grabbed both girls and the other parents and dragged them out of the store while all of the employees and customers just stood there stunned. Nobody ever called the police and that was that.

Woah wtf, on the contrary should have called the cops on them for sexual harassment of minors.

If a company ever tried to detain me I'd call the cops myself. If I were muslim that probably wou'dn't help though.

The_Kid

This some bullshit. You know what happens if someone steals something at any of the places I've worked? They take a picture of them and get the police. They don't touch the person.

What the fuck is wrong with people?

I apprehend shoplifters for a living and I've never heard of anything like this. Macy's policies must be pure garbage for this stuff to fly. And I have never accused anyone of theft without being able to prove it in court...

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I am not a braggart or internet tough guy but somebody is getting their ass kicked before this happens, whether it's the person going through my wallet or me.

I really can't imagine someone being that compliant to authority.

And how do you think that ends up for the minority being harassed?

Mortemis

Banned
Fuck Macy's. Bunch of pieces of shits no matter what store. Haven't been to one in years since this one time I was tailed the moment I walked in.

teiresias

Hopefully her attorneys are looking to see if she was placed in a theft database as a result of this. If she ever wanted to work retail (or any job that might include a theft database as part of the background check) it could affect her ability to get employment.

Lucreto

What's worse is the people in the head office who encouraged these ideas won't be affected by any fines from the lawsuit.

They will be like we lost $X amount from the lawsuit which is about 100,000 hours. We will cut the staff hours to make up for it and we will keep getting out bonuses.

Condom

What's worse is the people in the head office who encouraged these ideas won't be affected by any fines from the lawsuit.

They will be like we lost $X amount from the lawsuit which is about 100,000 hours. We will cut the staff hours to make up for it and we will keep getting out bonuses.
Yup, punishing the company solves nothing.

Nudull

Banned
Thank christ I bailed from that job. Can't imagine how they treat minority employees on top of all of this.

Mr. X

Kidnapping
Illegal detainment
Coercion
Blackmail
Theft
Racial profiling

Did I miss any crimes?

Extortion since they forcefully paid themselves with her money.

Don't tell me she had to do her own chargeback because chargebacks have fees associated with them and she was fucking robbed for $500

Well, I was already too poor to shop there anyway but now I'm going to let everyone in my family know to avoid them like the plague.

It's abhorrent that they've gotten away with this in the past.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
How is this not considered kidnapping?

It probably is, the companies just hope you dont have enough money and dont know your legal rights. Any rent-a-cop tries to pull this shit on me will be told to fuck off. It varies state to state, so it's wise to look up the power store security has in your state.

Macy's used to sell quality stuff but we're talking 25-30 years ago. What they sell now is the same crap you can buy elsewhere except it's marked up about 50%.

entremet

It probably is, the companies just hope you dont have enough money and dont know your legal rights. Any rent-a-cop tries to pull this shit on me will be told to fuck off. It varies state to state, so it's wise to look up the power store security has in your state.
This is why unless it's part of the agreement like Costco, I don't stop at receipt checkers.

Fuck that.

bionic77

Not surprised they detained people based on color.

I am surprised that they try to shake those people down to let them go. That's some shit we think happens in some shithole of a country but supposedly it is happening in the most famous store in NYC.

Insane...

I still don't understand how they can hold someone there against their will when they have receipts for what they bought.

What if she had a dog or kids waiting for her in the car?

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
WTF, how the fuck is this not illegal in NYC already?

Charging her card with out consent? I'd sue the fuck out of them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom