• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jumpgate Evolution new preview & screens!! (space mmo)

Buggy Loop

http://pc.ign.com/articles/887/887600p1.html

But what is Jumpgate: Evolution? Well, it's a space action game with an emphasis on accessibility, and functions much like you might expect if you're familiar with the genre at all. It is not, as some might think when they see screens, like CCP's EVE Online, a game where you click to auto-attack. In JE, the emphasis is on twitch gameplay, where you directly fly your ship using the keyboard to control boost and braking, strafing, aiming, and pitch. Enemies fly around and it's up to you to pursue, engage, aim your reticule and blast them into bits with whatever energy weapons, missiles or other armaments are equipped.

According to NetDevil president Scott Brown, "It's really kind of a sandbox MMO much more than a 'here's this pre-built story, now play through these missions.' Kind of the best comparison I would give to it is, it's really more like a Grand Theft Auto style. There's a lot of things going on in the world and you can choose to work with what you want to work with."

We were using a mouse and keyboard for the demo, using W to thrust forward, Q and E to roll our ship, Space to brake and A and D to essentially strafe. It's kind of strange to say strafe when talking about space flight, but that's the kind of arcade feel NetDevil wants to build into JE. For those who prefer something slightly along the lines of Newtonian physics, there's a control assist toggle you can switch to off at which point your ship's momentum will be conserved to a degree when trying to make sharp directional changes. For instance, if you're hurtling forward and suddenly hit the brakes you won't zip off in a new direction as soon as you want to. You'll instead drift in the direction you were originally going, letting you do things like fly backwards while firing.

Killing foes levels you up, as you might expect, but NetDevil isn't building in any artificial level limitations. "The levels don't give you any benefit, per se, other than unlocking capabilities," said Brown. "There's no dice rolls or anything in the game, it's all about your ship and you abilities as a player...If you're level 12 and you shoot a level 20 you do less damage, there's nothing like that in the game."

For any hardcore space action fans, you should know there won't be in-depth battle mechanics such as diverting shield power to specific components of your ship (diverting power to rear shields to better ensure an escape) or disabling enemy sub-systems (destroying engines or weapons). Instead, you're basically just dealing with shield and armor ratings, which can be tweaked with equipped items back at a base.

The game's being designed to let players partake in whatever kinds of activities they desire, and, more importantly, all those activities reward you in some way, either with abilities, special awards, or experience. You could float around and destroy pirates, mine asteroids, surf auctions, manage trade routes, or engage in the game's player versus player (PvP) combat elements. Right now NetDevil is planning on having fully free-for-all and limited PvP server types available for players to dive into, which seem to be some of the central elements of the game. There'll also be instanced PvP challenges with set goals, such as tasking one team with destroying another's capital ship.

jumpgate-evolution-20080709034503243.jpg

jumpgate-evolution-20080709034445415.jpg

jumpgate-evolution-20080709034505602.jpg

concept art

jumpgate-evolution-20080709034455555.jpg

jumpgate-evolution-20080709034500649.jpg

jumpgate-evolution-20080709034510336.jpg

Freespace + EVE online = JE ? One can dream but its the closest we've come, its pretty much EVE online thoroughly with direct controls, sucks that there's no shield or weapon management though. It has collision though! unlike EVE where you go through almost anything like a ghost, JE has mass/speed physics, you'll damage or even explode if you collide fast enough into an object.

Im signed for the beta, i hope i get an email :D

Darklord

Banned
twitch gameplay? Seems kind of hard with an MMO. Many players have high ping if the servers aren't in their country.

Buggy Loop

Darklord said:
twitch gameplay? Seems kind of hard with an MMO. Many players have high ping if the servers aren't in their country.

Well Jumpgate isnt a new franchise, it started in 2001, if it worked then, im not sure why it couldnt now, sure as games become more complex there's more info to send but internet speed nowadays bitchslap 2001's.

pvp jumpgate http://youtube.com/watch?v=euTyJPv0bwQ

Interface looks very close to freespace.

and a really shitty trailer (well by today's standards lol)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YaI8fe8WoKE&feature=related

Sounds like a shooter merged with an mmo enviroment in space, need to see it in motion.

Only video available so far is this one as far as i know (in-game)

http://www.jumpgateevolution.com/videos.php

This is a game I need to try out when it gets released - it speaks to both the EVE Online and X-Wing -addictions within me. If it is a good merge of the both, I will never need another PC-game again.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
A little disappointed in not being able to divert energy to systems, or disabling enemy's specific systems, but I do like that Level is strictly a number... But honestly, it'll most likely amount to "you are level 20, you can buy this new shield upgrade. Which of course means, if a level 12 hits you with their lasers that level 12 types can get, it does less damage.

Fallout-NL said:
I want a space MMO where I can walk around in my ship and go to/explore planets.

I'm thinking it will never happen.

Me too! But also explore ships... So rather than just blowing up larger ships, you take your fellow player troops on a raid into the enemy ship, they go in and have to take over from the inside.

"I want a space MMO where I can walk around in my ship and go to/explore planets.

I'm thinking it will never happen."

Eve Online's planning something like that with "Ambulation." Whenever that comes out.

Teknopathetic said:
"I want a space MMO where I can walk around in my ship and go to/explore planets.

Eve Online's planning something like that with "Ambulation." Whenever that comes out.

I've been eyeing Eve for a long time, but If they get that up and running, I might finally try it.

Being able to walk around in a ship is important though. I mean, taking a seat in the worn old seat of your first bird. That really adds to the immersion. Perhaps someone should do a Firefly MMO.

Buggy Loop said:
Your one and ONLY hope

http://www.infinity-universe.com

and more specifically

http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infinity/infinity_videos_1.php

And watch the planet landing/takeoff video

See, now that's impressive. You remember those games where you took your ship up to a planet, all excited, and suddenly you'd be pressing up against a couple of pixels, your ship the same size as the planet. Talk about disappointment. :lol

Xabora

Teknopathetic said:

It did... but not how you wish it did.

Battle Cruiser 3000AD...

And I have a boxed copy. ;_;

"Being able to walk around in a ship is important though. I mean, taking a seat in the worn old seat of your first bird. That really adds to the immersion. Perhaps someone should do a Firefly MMO."

You could see yourself and your ship's cockpit in Earth and Beyond. I don't believe you could walk around though.

You couldn't really do the walk-around thing in Eve Online, though, because the game's story takes place when a lot of space ships are controlled by a singular person inside a "pod."

Teknopathetic said:
"Being able to walk around in a ship is important though. I mean, taking a seat in the worn old seat of your first bird. That really adds to the immersion. Perhaps someone should do a Firefly MMO."

You could see yourself and your ship's cockpit in Earth and Beyond. I don't believe you could walk around though.

You couldn't really do the walk-around thing in Eve Online, though, because the game's story takes place when a lot of space ships are controlled by a singular person inside a "pod."

Yup, smart move, the pod thing.

Top Bottom