• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Junichi Masuda: A message for Pokémon video game fans

Fake

Thank you to all of our fans for caring so deeply about Pokémon. Recently, I shared the news that some Pokémon cannot be transferred to Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield. I've read all your comments and appreciate your love and passion for Pokémon.

Just like all of you, we are passionate about Pokémon and each and every one of them is very important to us. After so many years of developing the Pokémon video games, this was a very difficult decision for me. I'd like to make one thing clear: even if a specific Pokémon is not available in Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, that does not mean it will not appear in future games.

The world of Pokémon continues to evolve. The Galar region offers new Pokémon to encounter, Trainers to battle, and adventures to embark on. We are pouring our hearts into these games, and we hope you will look forward to joining us on this new journey.

June 28, 2019

Junichi Masuda

1511109555178.jpg

Fake

Hate use mobile. Already asked for a thread title change.
edti: Title changed. Big thx mods.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Lmao

How Masuda makes pokemon fans stupid:

tenor.gif

But honestly, I never saw such a stupid fanbase. It doesn't matter if you buy or not, the problem is that there are people praising Masuda for doing absolutelly nothing. What he just did was nothing more than Ctrl+C Ctrl+V of what he said on E3.

This time you guys surprised me. I never faced in my entire life such a ball sucking, boot licking and ground pissing comments on twitter.

Last edited:

Fbh

Dear Pokemon Fans:

You have it pre ordered already, don't you? Some of you probably both version, don't you? You'll be there day one anyway, won't you?.

That's why we don't give a shit.

Sincerely
The Pokémon company

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
"Haha thanks for your money/nostalgia money, losers."

Bruh... All they gotta do is announce another Malibu Stacey with a new hat. AKA new form of Charizard/Mewtwo in there and the fans will be like "This is acceptable."

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
"Haha thanks for your money/nostalgia money, losers."

Bruh... All they gotta do is announce another Malibu Stacey with a new hat. AKA new form of Charizard/Mewtwo in there and the fans will be like "This is acceptable."
Which one is worse. People accepting episodes as games or this?

Fake

Serebii guy: https://www.resetera.com/threads/a-...suda-its-nothing.126235/page-23#post-22338258
Or it's a potentially exponential increasing problem. Crossposting from prior thread:

"There's over a dozen animations already for each species of Pokémon

At present, there's 1006 models of Pokémon including alt forms (but not including texture skins like Genesect, Arceus, Silvally etc. but added the Unown as they are separate)

If we go for 12 that's 12,072 animations. If the models have been upgraded (jury is still out on that. We are unsure but need full access to confirm), they would need to be re-rigged, tested and so forth which adds time. They may even need to have due to the porting process from 3DS to Switch.

If they add just 1 new animation per Pokémon that's still 1006 animations to add, design, capture and test, however there's already confirmed to be more than 1. Then there's the rumoured Camp thing which would almost certainly include more

Then we have the new Pokémon. Let's say including alternate forms there's 100. That's another 1,300+ animations to factor in.

Then you need to factor in animations of all the NPCs, the gym leaders, the player characters and so forth.

I don't think people realise the scope of this. Every new feature they add that requires just one new animation would actually require over 1100 new animations. If they just reuse animations for it, people will bitch that they're lazy (and they already are despite there being new animations. People want them to bring everything in, but they also don't want everything to be brought in using assets that exist already).

This is the sort of thing they were talking about. It adds up so fast. No other game has such problems. Most of Breath of the Wild's models are humans. Enemies there's only a dozen models, yet people keep comparing it to that. It's incomparable. "

I think people take for granted the amount of work that goes in to each Pokémon and each feature. Adding a cool feature which has Pokémon react to it requires a craptonne of work if they're to include all Pokémon and you can't just throw money at it and outsource as that doesn't end well.

What other series deals with this level of animations and models?

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Serebii is an obvious Pokemon shill and Gamefreak ally, I literally would not believe anything he says these days especially after backing down on criticising Let's Go.

Maybe Gamefreak should you know.... Follow Nintendo's strategy and alter their development cycle instead of having yearly releases of a game that's been developed over the course of 3 years. They won't delay it for a multitude of reasons, but maybe they should learn they HAVE TO, I haven't seen a quality Pokemon game worthy of praise since like... 2012. Very worrying.

Elcid

Banned
I was so hype about a proper console Pokemon game, would have been the first one I play in over a decade, but fuck this shit. Giant pokemon power? No complete Pokedex? No megas? Eat shit Junichi.

Saber

Gold Member
Maybe uh, uh u they shouldn't have made 3000 pokemons?

That would be the logical thinking.

The Pokemon thinking is to milk new mons(their easy money), while keep cutting contents, leave visuals and animations basically the same and using old ass excuses as if they're not a big company and as if we're in 2010.

Because at the end of day, "Catch em all" its not their mojo. Even though its writtten on Pokemon Official Twitter page.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Serebii is an obvious Pokemon shill and Gamefreak ally, I literally would not believe anything he says these days especially after backing down on criticising Let's Go.

Maybe Gamefreak should you know.... Follow Nintendo's strategy and alter their development cycle instead of having yearly releases of a game that's been developed over the course of 3 years. They won't delay it for a multitude of reasons, but maybe they should learn they HAVE TO, I haven't seen a quality Pokemon game worthy of praise since like... 2012. Very worrying.
They also have to worry about the next seasonal animes, merchandising, TCGs, legendary pokemon movies, etc. It made more money for them rather than the game itself. Just an added fact.

On Serebii point, I still see him as unbiased as he can be. Let's Go is s fun remake, he gives his opinion where he doesn't think having all of later pokemon is that important for that entry. Still, he had a lot shitting on GF in the past for obvious reasons, this time with no exception. Though if you call that bullshit or downright an apologist then I don't have any other things to convince you. Fact is, people just swat off the truths just to rage.

At the end, both sides are being embarrasing, actually. Especially those lazy developers comments. I'm so hoping these crybabies - I hope people know who I'm directing this to, leave the franchise forever so I can enjoy the new regions without them.

Last edited:
Fuck you too Masuda

There isn't any excuse when your game looks like the 3ds games in HD, detail wise. But even if it were technically impressive, i would still be pissed. But this is trash.

Dude fucking battle revolution on Wii looks better. Greedy shits.

Last edited:

Zannegan

I mean, I think they should dump some of the 'mons gen to gen just for the sake of keeping it fresh. I also think they should change up the starter type triangle from time to time. I also think they should show an ounce of ambition and innovation outside of minor tweaks to the meta, which only the hardest of the hardcore notice or care about.

If they tried, like, at all to improve then fans wouldn't care so much that they *gasp* couldn't catch their favorite pokemon in one entry of the series. But since they've been trained to look forward to the same old thing every new generation, the Pokemon Company shouldn't be surprised that fans are over-the-top angry when those expectations aren't delivered on.

The Pokemon Company can't sustain the old pokemon forever, and they shouldn't try IMO. What they can and should do, is bring a little real innovation and improvement to the series, so that fabs have something to look forward to instread of the same-old, same old. Doing neither is what's causing them trouble.

McCheese

I don't get this anger at all.

if it was cars - folks wouldn't give a shit, you pick up a new next-gen Gran Turismo and cross your fingers your favourite cars made it over, but if not it's not the end of the world, It took them 3 years to finally add a TVR back to the game, nobody died waiting for it.

But a game with 807 cute little animals doesn't have the one you find the cutest and most cuddly? fucking riot! nail the developers to a cross and make them regret the day they neglected poor little Wofflestump or whatever the fuck they call the shitty gen 8 ones.

They do however need to stop charging for shit like Pokemon box, as it's pretty dumb having a service which lets me transfer pokemon around if the mainline titles are going to make Kanto great again by limiting which ones are allowed in.

On a sidenote, can you imagine what shit would hit the fan if Blizzard ever followed up on their original concept of rotating Overwatch heroes in and out of the game? Man, if they announced D.Va or Mercy getting removed for 6 months in a patch I'd just lock myself in a safe room until it's over.

Hudo

Maybe uh, uh u they shouldn't have made 3000 pokemons?
Yeah, that is my perspective as well. I think they should've kept it at 300 or 350. That way, they can also work on getting some Pokemon to be more recognizable, like Pikachu and Eevee are. And it would also help the players to get more comfortable all around with always having a set of favourite/familiar Pokemon. But then again, their main selling point usually is "and it comes with lots of new Pokemon!", so I can understand why they did it like this. It's certainly an easier feature than, say, establishing new gameplay challenges/mechanics for every mainline Pokemon (although, that would've been my choice if I had a say).

In any case, Game Freak are in a bit of a dilemma. But I also think that certain fans blow this way out of proportion.

Saber

Gold Member

if it was cars - folks wouldn't give a shit, you pick up a new next-gen Gran Turismo and cross your fingers your favourite cars made it over, but if not it's not the end of the world, It took them 3 years to finally add a TVR back to the game, nobody died waiting for it.

But a game with 807 cute little animals doesn't have the one you find the cutest and most cuddly? fucking riot! nail the developers to a cross and make them regret the day they neglected poor little Wofflestump or whatever the fuck they call the shitty gen 8 ones.

They do however need to stop charging for shit like Pokemon box, as it's pretty dumb having a service which lets me transfer pokemon around if the mainline titles are going to make Kanto great again by limiting which ones are allowed in.

On a sidenote, can you imagine what shit would hit the fan if Blizzard ever followed up on their original concept of rotating Overwatch heroes in and out of the game? Man, if they announced D.Va or Mercy getting removed for 6 months in a patch I'd just lock myself in a safe room until it's over.

You don't understand or pretend to don't understand?

The "don't have one out of 807" its basically the selling point of pokemon. Its what differences them for other monster system games, the capacity of carry your mons to another game. Your car analogy is shallow taking account that Gamefreak has being doing this for decades.

And its even more about that. Their excuses pretty much don't match with what they offer. Their "high quality animation" its nothing more than recycled animations and their already proof made HD models they have since XY. I bet that if they show something more impressive people would support them, even without the lack of all mons.

Lmao, they don't even "innovate". Dynamax its nothing but stretched models. You can see MODS about that in Skyrim for instance, nothing new.

So in resume, you can only don't understand the backlash if you don't read or close your eyes. Because everything is there.

Last edited:

McCheese

So in resume, you can only don't understand the backlash if you don't read or close your eyes. Because everything is there.

Oh, I've not enjoyed pokemon for decades - got fed up of them always being technically crippled and recycling the same core gameplay loop without much innovation.

If folks were mad because the game is graphically a mess and runs sub 30fps, then I'd be right alongside you. the 3DS game performance was borderline criminal and let's be honest, they are the reason Nintendo ditched the 'you have to support 3D' rule because boy, that stuff struggled even in 2D despite being so ugly.

But I still don't get why folks are mad they cannot transfer all 800 odd pokemon into the game, half the fun of visting the new regions should be to discover and play with the new pokemon. Heck, in real life you can't just carry animals from country to country unless you send a weird apology video of you with amber herd afterwards.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, I've not enjoyed pokemon for decades - got fed up of them always being technically crippled and recycling the same core gameplay loop without much innovation.

If folks were mad because the game is graphically a mess and runs sub 30fps, then I'd be right alongside you. the 3DS game performance was borderline criminal and let's be honest, they are the reason Nintendo ditched the 'you have to support 3D' rule because boy, that stuff struggled even in 2D despite being so ugly.

But I still don't get why folks are mad they cannot transfer all 800 odd pokemon into the game, half the fun of visting the new regions should be to discover and play with the new pokemon.
People are mad because you can't use your favorites. Because of "quality" yet all the footage looks terrible. It runs terrible and the new mechanic is literally blown up PKMN with floating turds. There couldn't be less effort into making this if they tried. You don't understand people have teams which they have carried from previous games to newer games or that people like battling each other?

Heck, in real life you can't just carry animals from country to country unless you send a weird apology video of you with amber herd afterwards.
What an amazing comparisson. Real life. To a videogame about pocket monsters.

Fake

Those excuses are insane. Real life? Nice work guys. Worst and more crazy than serebii.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member

But I still don't get why folks are mad they cannot transfer all 800 odd pokemon into the game, half the fun of visting the new regions should be to discover and play with the new pokemon. Heck, in real life you can't just carry animals from country to country unless you send a weird apology video of you with amber herd afterwards.

Not sure what point you're trying to make comparing real life animals with encapsulated monsters, but ok. I don't think you're putting much effort on your answers either but ok.

Just remember that they're a private company. They aren't doing charity, neither doing you any favor. This feature existed as long as Pokemon was created. Its the whole purpose of this damn thing, collect them all.

But if you don't mind this its cool. You can buy whatever you want, the money is yours after all. But I wouldn't take seriously anyone who blindly ask why people are mad without even trying to understand(or pretend to not)or show little empathy for a part of fanbase that its not gonna support their bad decisions practices(which are btw shorter the release times for Pokemon main games by cutting their main content).

Last edited:

Fbh

It's not entirely the same as a car game though.
This is more as if GT let you build and upgrade your own cars from scratch as a core mechanic of the game like 10 years ago, then had a system so you could bring those specific cars over to newer entries (which also release more frequently) in the franchise, let you take them to tournaments and even charged you a small amount for a "cloud garage" where you could store them and transfer them between games.
And now they tell you a bunch of your cars just won't be compatible with their new game.

Now Imagine GT somehow also owned the license of all of these cars so it's not a licensing issue. And it was also still one of the best selling game franchises with multiple 10+ million selling entries every gen, part of literally the highest-grossing media franchise out there and the excuse was "it's too much work" ...while still being worked on by a small team with a rather low budget, dated looks and recycled assets because Sony was being cheap.

Wouldn't it be at least a tad disappointing?

BTW I personally don't care either. But I'm kinda glad some fans are pushing back as I think The Pokemon Company ususally gets away with a lot considering how well these games sell. Specially now that they are going to be $60

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Banned

It’s both.

If the game looked absolutely amazing and ran at 60fps and had a ton of features and modes, I think a lot more people would be willing to put up with less pokémon.

But it doesn’t. It looks like shit, the models and animation of the pokemon haven’t improved at all from the 3DS games, they’re taking away Mega Evolutions, pokemon don’t follow you in the overworld, gamefreak STILL refuse to implement a proper Battle Frontier (something they put in the GBA games ffs), the stories are as crap as they’ve always been but for some reason gamefreak wants you to watch long unskippable dialogue scenes, etc,

Less pokémon is just the straw the broke the camel’s back. Gamefreak has been taking away features of years now with no benefit whatsoever. Now they’re taking away actual pokémon, still with no benefit at all.

It’s people’s wake-up call that Pokémon games are being made more and more lazily year after year. Understably, they’re upset.

Last edited:

Psajdak

Banned
Still, though, isn't 800+ differently designed 3D creatures kind of, you know, too much for a console like Switch?
Also, even if it wasn't, for how many years, or decades do you intend to transfer them, which some maybe even started in their childhood...

At one point, cutoff had to happen.

Top Bottom