• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Junji Ito was involved in Silent Hills

sn00zer

Maybe Konami sold the rights to Sony a--a-and Sony put the Siren developers to work on it with Kojima and Guillermo and Ito amd Toayama cuz Gravity Rush 2 is almost done and everyone's a big happy family? R-right pa, tell me thats what happened.... right?

dan2026

Fuck Konami, why do you hate all that is right and true in the world?

You had the master of Japanese horror on board and YOU BLEEEEEEEEW IIIIIT!!!

gogogow

No, they are just helping to publish the game in PS platforms.
Just read a news article. There are two companies involved, Shibuya and Sony. Shibuya are helping with marketing and production. Sony are helping with "some publishing" according to Yu Suzuki himself.

So people asking Sony to make Silent Hills a reality, don't bet on it.

DedValve

Banned
You promised me you'd take me
there again someday.
But you never did.

Well, I'm alone there now...
In our 'special place'...
Waiting for you...

Waiting for you to
come to see me.

But you never do.

And so I wait, wrapped in my
cocoon of pain and loneliness.

GrayChild

In my 20+ years of gaming, this is the only time when I felt physical pain over a game cancellation.

This can't be real.

Fuck everything.

Clov

In a way, Del Toro and Kojima have successfully, if unintentionally, gifted us the most horrifying Silent Hill experience they could, one only possible with the assistance of Konami.

This Silent Hill has gotten a bit too postmodern for comfort.

Drencrom

5Ti9oQR.png

There is still hope

Oneself

In my 20+ years of gaming, this is the only time when I felt physical pain over a game cancellation.

This can't be real.

Fuck everything.

I know what you feel. Last time I felt that was when Final Fantasy was canned on N64.

And well, thank God it happened. But SH is different.

gogogow

BASICALLY. Hollywood directors + actors and legendary manga artist. They would have lost so much money if Kojima had his way. It wouldnt sell a quarter of MGS5.

I do have a feeling Kojima was spending money like water. Just look at MGSV. He got Kiefer Sutherland as the voice actor for Big Boss. I bet he wasn't cheap, but the end result is WAAAAAAY less voice work. An almost mute Big Boss/Snake is just so damn weird.

FUCK EVERYTHING. Maybe the three of them can go to kick starter, I am confident they would get an absurd amount of money to make a horror game.

Spaghetti

Now the Shemnue 3 Kickstarter campaign has finished, did Sony give money to Yu Suzuki or not? Sony gave him some time on stage at their E3 pressconference, but everything else is just so vague. Did Sony fund him or not?
no, they didn't give yu suzuki any money for development. sony's involvement in shenmue 3 is limited to support in marketing, technology, and a section of the publishing (likely getting physical ps4 copies made). this is all in the kickstarter FAQ and was reiterated in an interview with gio corsi.

in the case of silent hills, there's nothing stopping sony snatching up kojima (either as first party, or if he forms an independent studio) to make what silent hills would have been with del toro and ito. P.T lit the gaming world on fire and the fact silent hills got canned left a huge void that copycats and 'inspired by' games are trying to fill. i can see it definitely receiving a respectable budget too. you've got one of the biggest names in gaming pairing up with an acclaimed film director and an artistic/literary icon in the horror genre. there's a lot of potential for reaching a lot of demographics with that.

considering sony does a lot to try winning hearts and minds of gamers, a 'revived' silent hills under a new name feels very possible to me.

sn00zer

To be COMPLETELY fair MGSVs budget was goddamn insane and it no wonder it scared Konami from doing anything like it ever again.

Not for nothing but the game could still exist, kojima and del toro arent no names, just get someone else and boom, a spiritual successor to the game that never was

Ratrat

I do have a feeling Kojima was spending money like water. Just look at MGSV. He got Kiefer Sutherland as the voice actor for Big Boss. I bet he wasn't cheap, but the end result is WAAAAAAY less voice work. An almost mute Big Boss/Snake is just so damn weird.
light story spoiler:
No its not, it made sense in the context of the story.

BlueDEF

Neo Member
So I don't mean to pour more salt (or troll), but this project sounds like a money pit. Don't get me wrong it sounds cool but also I got a nagging feeling there wasn't a snowballs chance anyone was going to make their money back. Please note I am speaking from my armchair here.

Mr_L

Sure, let's make the cancellation more upsetting. Just thinking about the boundless creativity of that trio alone is frustrating. It's terrible that we'll never see this game come to life.

ghostjoke

Banned
Oh, come on! You just want to watch gaming burn, don't you Konami?

Playing SOMA atm with it's dishevelled and disturbing designs/atmosphere only makes this cut even deeper.

Spaghetti

Just read a news article. There are two companies involved, Shibuya and Sony. Shibuya are helping with marketing and production. Sony are helping with "some publishing" according to Yu Suzuki himself.

So people asking Sony to make Silent Hills a reality, don't bet on it.
not to turn this into a shenmue thread or anything, but the wording in that quote annoys me a lot. suzuki never mislead anybody. media and people on this very forum rushed to link sony as more involved in shenmue 3 than had been mentioned. it didn't help that some weird flustered attempts from sony pr to get closer to the project during the e3 news cycle were misinterpreted. it even persisted after the kickstarter finished with people still thinking sony has any kind of financial input in development of shenmue 3, all because of the press jumping to conclusions and sony wanting to suck up the fanfare.

but anyway, silent hills. i think sony funding a kojima/ito/del toro game as a new IP is actually still pretty likely. it's more likely if kojima ends up as a 1st or 2nd party dev under sony, but it could still happen even if he becomes a third party.

Top Bottom