• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JURASSIC WORLD a 'sci-fi terror adventure 22yrs after JP' News/Rumors/Info thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured a thread like should exist since there's lot of rumors & bits of info that really don't constitute as news worthy of a new thread.

luzt8Pv.png

INFO:
Releasing June 12, 2015
Directed by Colin Trevorrow
Written by Colin Trevorrow and Derek Connolly (adapted from Amanda Silver and Rick Jaffa story) in collboration with Steven Spielberg
Executive producer: Steven Speilberg
Produced by Frank Marshall and Patrick Crowley
Filming starts in Hawaii this Spring

PLOT:
rPsOYsC.png

Rumored Synopsis of outdated early draft:
JURASSIC PARK 4, set in present day Isla Nublar, is now an actual theme park, as originally intended by John Hammond in the first film. It garners 10 million visitors per year and is completely safe - until it's not. The park itself is described a very Sea World-esque and includes an area called the Isla Nublar Lagoon. That means underwater dino's for the first time. No indication of what kind, but there's concept art showing one of the aquatic dino's, as part of a show, jumping out of the lagoon and eating a strung up great white shark like it was a fish for a dolphin at sea world.

As part of a show, you ask? That's right, folks, this will feature "tamed" dino's. In fact, our source indicated that the usually menacing Velociraptors (which will finally be muzzled, along with the T-Rex - until they're not) will actually be used to help fight the threat, which begins in the form of a new dinosaur, not seen in any of the previous films (and not disclosed to us) shows to be much smarter than originally thought and is the main cause of havoc breaking out at the park.

So, to sum it all up, JURASSIC PARK 4 will take place back on Isla Nublar with a fully operational dinosaur theme park (I'm sure no expense was spared) that's both prosperous and safe, until a new dinosaur figures out a way to wreak havoc, causing the use of the now tamed Velociraptors (and T-Rex? Unclear) as a means to fighting the threat.

Colin Trevorrow later appeared on a podcast assuring people that there would be no muzzled Tyrannosaurus, etc, and that much of the leaked info was inaccurate. However, the basic premise is believed to be the same.

CAST:
Chris Pratt (in negotiations)
Bryce Dallas Howard
Jake Johnson
Nick Robinson
Ty Simpkins
David Oyelowo (rumored)
Irrfan Khan (rumored)
Jason Schwartzman (rumored)
John Krasinski (rumored)
BD Wong (rumored)

OTHER:

Leaked Jurassic World - Game pitch trailer (2011)

Here's the truth: that Jurassic World teaser was for a movie. And a video game. It was part of a proposal for a big, multimedia relaunch of the Jurassic Park franchise that was headed by Iain McCaig, the guy who designed Darth Maul. I have talked to sources who worked on the reel and they have confirmed with me that it was absolutely intended to show off ideas for a new film, one where dinosaurs would begin attacking California - basically a bigger scale version of Jurassic Park: The Lost World.

But it was also going to be a game and have an internet component. All of these aspects would be tied together to tell one big new franchise story, in the great transmedia tradition of the 00s. Which makes sense, as this pitch reel is from 2011, and the concept was kicking around before the reel was made.

The reel that ended up online was very specifically made for Steven Spielberg, Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall, the big producers behind the series. Spielberg is a busy guy with a ton of projects going on at any time; one of the best ways to grab his interest is to come to him with something immediate, visual and visceral. The reel, reminiscent of the Dinosaurs Attack! trading card series, is all of that. It's also rough, because it was quickly put together to get across a basic concept, not be a true showpiece for audiences outside the producing team.

Did it work? Well, this version of Jurassic World didn't get made. Iain McCaig is off working with Bad Robot on the new Star Wars films. But the franchise is back in action in cinematic form: could the title mean that the original concept is still in play? I suspect not, and that it was chosen from a list of potential titles that Universal already had laying around. But if the original Jurassic World concept is happening, expect something much pulpier and boys-adventure than the previous three films.

http://badassdigest.com/2013/09/16/the-true-story-behind-the-jurassic-world-pitch-reel

PICTURES:

BaaKVVt.jpg

I wish I could get hype, but Jurassic Park sucks with an over reliance on cg...
And they are not going back to the old ways of robotics, not in this day and age.

I wish I could get hype, but Jurassic Park sucks with an over reliance on cg...
And they are not going back to the old ways of robotics, not in this day and age.

I'll have to dig out the quotes, but they are working with Legacy effects to do practical/animatronic Dinosaurs. Phil Tippett is back as well.

That said, I fully expect it to be more CG heavy than past JP films. Hopefully it is well balanced.

Loofy

I thought 'ooo 22 years so its like future tech stuff.'

Then I realized 22 years just means present day, now I feel old.

strafer

You know the first attraction I ever built when I came down south from Scotland? It was a Flea Circus, Petticoat Lane. Really quite wonderful. We had a wee trapeze, and a merry-go... carousel and a seesaw. They all moved, motorized of course, but people would say they could see the fleas. "Oh, I see the fleas, mummy! Can't you see the fleas?" Clown fleas and high wire fleas and fleas on parade... But with this place, I wanted to show them something that wasn't an illusion. Something that was real, something that they could see and touch. An aim not devoid of merit.

SJRB

Gold Member
I thought 'ooo 22 years so its like future tech stuff.'

Then I realized 22 years just means present day, now I feel old.

Yeah this haha, I was thinking cyborg dinosaurs or something, but then I did the math.

Toxi

Banned
Is it too much to hope for an accurate pterosaur with rounded wings, non-grasping hind feet, and pycnofibers? :-(

Rick Carter talks Jurassic Word:

I came into that one as a visual consultant," he says. "I just worked for four months to get it going. To try and visualize where this could go next and make sure it had some the same -- literally the same -- DNA of the previous movies. Ed Verreaux is the production designer on that one. He did the third 'Jurassic Park'. We've worked together going all the way back to 'Back to the Future'. It's a real hand-off between the two of us. He's the production designer and the director's a new director named Colin Trevorrow. He's a big, big talent.

Steven Spielberg is in Hawaii for Jurassic World:

bc0JhdE.png

Jack Horner on Jurassic World:

It's got a really scary dinosaur in it. They gave me the script, I've read it, it's pretty cool, I think everybody's going to really like it.

Busty

Banned
Jurassic Park is amazing. I really hope this isn't a dinosaur apocalypse type movie. Hopefully it all happens in a secluded area.

From day one the rumours were this is a 'soft reboot' of the original and as such I imagine it does all happen within this 'Disney World with dinosaurs'.

I literally cannot think of a more insipid thing to do with the source material than retread over the ground that the original film did so very, very well.

Chumpion

It would be cooler if the dinos took over the world. Maybe, just maybe... one of the raptors mates with Laura Dern and their offspring become super smart.

Actually, I'd pay just to see Laura Dern lay eggs for 90 minutes.

Ensirius

As a kid who was born in late 80s JP had such a grab on me it defined my childhood

Then came report of these Velociraptors being just some glorified feathery chicken...

And actually a little later those reports were debunked and balance in the universe was restored.

In other words, please don't screw this up.

Good thread. Rustle those feathers.

While we hold on strong to the vision of the original film, I feel the filmmakers shouldn't hold that nostalgia as meaning that they can't stray far and use more science for cooler inspiration rather than the retread of the same and now outdated look for the dinosaurs. Look at sci fi films that skewed closer to hard science than what just looked cool, and still succeeded with people. As I'm sure the original film was inspiration for people to go into the actual related career fields, a feathered take could be as equal a foothold for new fans.

A feathered, multi-coloured dinosaur running at me would be even scarier because of that false sense of security with the plummage. Real science can often be even more mysterious and provide cooler inspirations. Once audiences see these "cute birds" gnash the everliving shit out of some supporting characters, that's when I think they'll believe in the idea.

yutyrannus_huali_by_cheungchungtat-d4v6nv1.jpg

1367887842991.jpg

Peru

People who don't want feathers are sad and if they are the ones making the movie then it will not be in the spirit of Jurassic Park.

I don't care about feathers either way. Totally indifferent. I thought it made the raptors look slightly cooler in JP3, but also the white stripes they had.

Just give me Microraptors:

These amazing little fuckers are like Velociraptors that can fucking fly. With 4 wings no less as their rear legs are adapted for flight as well.

So will this follow the Jurassic Park Trilogy as a sequel or will it be a spinoff or a reboot of the JP universe?

The answer is in the OP, and hell, in the title. :lol

But yeah, it is a sequel, although it is in many ways giving the franchise a fresh start.

I'm hoping they have a couple of feathered dinosaurs, like the main big bad, but most are featherless. You could science hand wave a reason because they mentioned in the original that a lot of the dino DNA was incomplete and they used frog and other lizards to fill in the gaps. But the feather dinos could be from more complete DNA.

Toxi

Banned
I hope that this movie doesn't fuck up, but more importantly, feathers or featherless? I'll be fine with either.
I'd prefer feathers, because it'd show how science has changed since the making of the original films.

Feathers would be accurate on Tyrannosaurus and Velociraptor. Velociraptor in general is far too large and should probably be changed to a larger dromeosaur like Utahraptor. Non-theropod dinosaurs should not have feathers for obvious reasons.

Pterosaurs should have pycnofibers (Hair-like structures) on their bodies.

Showaddy

I'm hoping they have a couple of feathered dinosaurs, like the main big bad, but most are featherless. You could science hand wave a reason because they mentioned in the original that a lot of the dino DNA was incomplete and they used frog and other lizards to fill in the gaps. But the feather dinos could be from more complete DNA.

I think their argument will be that the mainstream majority prefer featherless both within the film and in real life. Jurassic Park wanted to attract people so they made them featherless and the actual film will do it for the same reason.

I like it. For me as long as it's not a terribly executed explanation, I'm down with feathered dinosaurs. It would help freshen up the franchise and just be exciting to look at the first super duper big budget feathered dinosaurs.

antonz

Outside of a few species we do not even know to what extent feathers were covering dinosaurs if at all.

May as well keep it how we have known them until we can prove otherwise

plasmasd

If I were making an actual park for people to come see, I would build the dino DNA without feathers. No one would come to a theme park to see giant ostriches. Just get Jeff Goldblum to mention that before some red shirt complaining about no feathers gets eaten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom