• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superflat

In the original Jurassic Park we saw two variations on this, one from Grant who stayed perfectly still and managed to distract the T-Rex with a flare, and the second with Malcom who failed miserably and was almost eaten.
Claire almost pulls off something like Malcom in the movie. Maybe the T-Rex is just getting lazy in his old years?

I thought about this too, but the situation is very different, even though it's a call back.
The Rex has been conditioned for the past 20 years to know that the flare signifies food; so it has reason to follow where the flare goes. In the original film, Ian Malcolm tosses the flare completely out of sight of the rex, whereas Claire runs the T-Rex right into the path of Dominus. It may have been chasing Claire, but there's a much bigger, angrier obstacle right in front of it.

Toa TAK

Banned
I thought about this too, but the situation is very different, even though it's a call back.
The Rex has been conditioned for the past 20 years to know that the flare signifies food; so it has reason to follow where the flare goes. In the original film, Ian Malcolm tosses the flare completely out of sight of the rex, whereas Claire runs the T-Rex right into the path of Dominus. It may have been chasing Claire, but there's a much bigger, angrier obstacle right in front of it.

Exactly.
As she's out of the alley, her attention isn't on Claire anymore, as is this fucking weird-ass foreigner giving her some unfriendly vibes.

A few things that I did like: The Indominus Rex was an interesting idea to a point, though it made no sense that they would make this super advanced hunting machine for an attraction.
The Indominus Rex was created not just as an attraction, but also on the down-low as an Ingen military-related project.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I liked it. Dumb fun. Predictable and they probably showed too much of the movie in the trailers, but still good. Inferior to the original, but better than 2 and 3.

Superflat

Came back from watching it a second time. Still a really fun ride, and appreciated the work put into the dinosaurs even more -- caught a lot more subtleties and cool bits that I didn't catch the first time. I became much more familiar with the soundtrack, making me appreciate Giacchino's score even more; very strong melodies.

Enjoyed the performances more too, knowing each character's motivation and arcs.

The weaker parts of the film didn't change for me; the slow build up of the opening act was fun but the middle act is the most flawed. The middle segment is nowhere near as the strong as the start and finish, and there's so much more they could have done there to transition into the final act smoother. The deaths in the middle segment are just as hollow and non-events as I remember as well.

But once the last act gets started, it really doesn't let up and the last half hour just blazes past with great pacing and energy. The audience I watched with this weekend came out of the theater buzzing about it. Good stuff!

One thing I do need to revise a little on is that the park is actually huge. I paid specific attention to the various wide shots of the park, and there are tons of big structures that can easily house and maintain 20k+ people. It's just that the film itself feels contained to the same handful of locations, making it feel smaller than it should be. I still feel the film should have picked more locations on the park, especially where there's heavy civilian traffic, because that main street is used over and over again (which is the only big set they made I assume).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So finished watching it.

Yeah it's doesn't hold a candle to the original. Yet at least I do agree it's much better than the other sequels. Honestly I'd love it even more if they made the title more like Jurassic World: Operation Genesis - it'd be a nice throwback and it'd fit the movie theme even more!

First off, I fucking hate the siblings. Holy shit, any scene they are in, so much cringe. At least their aunt has a purpose so she has the right to be slightly annoying. But man... Seriously, I was expecting one of them to get eaten. What was their purpose? They can't be the "audience eyes" since we do shift PoV. It can't be pathos since they are terrible and under developed for it.

Nice references here in there, though sometimes I feel like the movie is showing a bit too much "ride the nostalgia" thing. The pacing is also... zigzagging. Sometimes it's fine, suddenly it goes to a crawl. Also was this made with a sequel in mind? Since it has some questions like the scientist from JP, inGen, etc.

Also the T-Rex, while cool, has so much problems it hurts. Like HOW THE FUCK IS THE WOMAN ABLE TO RUN FASTER THAN THE T-REX OMG. Also why didn't it care to attack the other humans? And while the final shot was great, why the hell did it go there? I mean sure Rex Ex Machina, but at least JP1's Rex Ex Machina was just that.

The ending is also kinda vague huh? What happens afterwards? Did the park close? Where they sued to death? etc.

Also anyone else expecting
the Indian guy to come out of the crash?
I feel like he was too awesome not to come back.

7/10 raptors for me

Gawge

I wasn't a big fan. It was decent, it kept me watching, when the action got going it was enjoyable enough. But as many have said, the characters were paper thin.

Also, was disappointed that Chris Pratt had about 1 good line in the whole film, maybe 1.5 being generous - I thought I would get at least a few laughs from him. He wasn't bad in the film, he just wasn't particularly funny, or a particularly impressive presence either (other people constantly saying he is bad ass and relying on him can only go so far).

I probably did miss out a bit, because I have no nostalgia for the original. I was never a big fan, and whilst the action in the original had some very good tense and exciting moments, the story and film in general is pretty weak for me.

So yeah, it was fine, but I doubt i'll watch it again.

First off, I fucking hate the siblings. Holy shit, any scene they are in, so much cringe. At least their aunt has a purpose so she has the right to be slightly annoying. But man... Seriously, I was expecting one of them to get eaten. What was their purpose? They can't be the "audience eyes" since we do shift PoV. It can't be pathos since they are terrible and under developed for it.

Insert characters for children because I believe without them kids won't really find a character that can really relate to in the scenarios happening in a movie. Every kid wanted to be a Jurassic Park kid. Also at first I found them really irritating but after the older one gets more serious they were fine, probably second best to Lex and Tim with Eric being the worst for being really out there.

Boss Doggie

I sorta wish Muldoon was kept alive in the JP1. He'd make a good mentor to Pratt or at least have that back-to-back badassery.

Insert characters for children because I believe without them kids won't really find a character that can really relate to in the scenarios happening in a movie. Every kid wanted to be a Jurassic Park kid. Also at first I found them really irritating but after the older one gets more serious they were fine, probably second best to Lex and Tim with Eric being the worst for being really out there.

I wish they put more effort there. It felt like their struggles were forced or pointless, like a result of some focus testing. Yeah they got better, but honestly, they were too already beyond the annoying line to be redeemed.

I personally have this "if you fucked up really bad you should get shit on" rule and movies that do that personally gets an immediate +1 on me. The big brother never got the "get shit on" part.

Boss Doggie

Oh wait, one thing I truly love the movie did and something I want to give kudos to them.

THANK YOU FOR POINTING OUT ABOUT DINOSAUR FEATHERS! I love you movie! This line...

If we made dinosaurs the way they were they would look different.

Bless you movie! Bless you and the way you snarkily talked towards non-feather believers!

Finally got around to seeing this bad boy. Really enjoyed it, a lot better than what I was expecting.

The part
where that raptor gets nuked was so heartbreaking lol. Probably hit me more than any of the human deaths.

Except for that assistant chick. Sad way to go.

Boss Doggie

Wait why the hell are people comparing Godzilla to this film? You want JP-esque Godzilla, go watch that shitty 2000's US film.

At least Godzilla fighting other monsters made sense

Wait why the hell are people comparing Godzilla to this film? You want JP-esque Godzilla, go watch that shitty 2000's US film.

At least Godzilla fighting other monsters made sense
People went to see a movie with tons of Godzilla but got a movie about dumb people instead with very little in the way of Godzilla.

People went to see a movie about dinosaurs and they got a whole lot of dinosaurs.

Seems JW did a better job at meeting expectations than Godzilla did.

People went to see a movie with tons of Godzilla but got a movie about dumb people instead with very little in the way of Godzilla.

People went to see a movie about dinosaurs and they got a whole lot of dinosaurs.

Seems JW did a better job at meeting expectations than Godzilla did.
If they went in expecting tons of Godzilla, then they've never been fans of/have seen Godzilla films.

Boss Doggie

Maybe people should actually watch Godzilla films first rather than referring to MS3K or the last Toho Godzilla film for a measure on what Godzilla films are.

Also I expected a whole lot of dinosaurs with less annoying humans like JP1. Look at what we have! It's like the inverse of 1 where there's probably only 1 or 2 annoying characters whereas in W we have only 1 or 2 bearable characters

Boss Doggie

Anyway, regardless of the rating this movie seemed to get a sequel anyway due to its success. I think all of the JP films grossed well, right?

Rexy the god damn hero once again.

Yea, it's not as good as the first one. But that damn intro, the damn musical strings and other things. So good, I want to see it again!

entremet

Talk about a by the numbers mediocre effort.

No intensity.

No thrills.

It was fun and well paced, but I'm really not seeing what audiences are seeing with this one. My theatre clapped like crazy when it was over.

Bryce is cute to watch, but man such a predictable and safe movie.

Boss Doggie

I pity assistant girl. She has to put up with two annoying children who had plot armor.

It was fun and well paced, but I'm really not seeing what audiences are seeing with this one. My theatre clapped like crazy when it was over.

I honestly believe it's due to the distance of this film from the previous JP film. And a lack of dinosaur film in general. I mean if there was, say, a good dinosaur film a few years ago this would probably not as loved. With that said, it draws parallels to the movie - focus tested towards the consumers that titillates on what they want, so there ya go.

Superflat

Talk about a by the numbers mediocre effort.

No intensity.

No thrills.

I thought the last half hour was a grand payoff for everything the film was building up to, and I really enjoyed the first hour of set up. Just as you don't see how people loved the film, I can't say I see your perspective of it being a "safe", "by the numbers" film. It's quite a different and daring sequel in my eyes, with sequences people didn't know they wanted until they got it.

Hickee

Saw this last night. Loved it as much as the first. 12A rating and my cinema was packed with kids as young as 4. One was crying every time a Dino appeared on screen and the kid 2 seats down told his dad that his brother who looked about 6 had wet himself during the hunt.

I mean that exchange demonstrates that he has a deeper emotional connection with those dinosaurs than he does with her. We get the sense he's only into her because she's hot and he's most excited by her when she's performing him. When he approaches the raptors he's respectful and scared and he's in awe of them. He just dismisses Howard's quirks and sort of nullifies her personality.

Straight up, he should have kissed Blue.

Oh so that's why I've heard talk of velociraptor x Pratt smut fanfiction.

https://twitter.com/jurassexworld
78lcszVw_400x400.jpg

Mediocre. The dinosaur stuff was mostly fine but everything surrounding it ranged from serviceable (Pratt) to bad/annoying (All story/characters that are not Pratt.) The big problems that stood out for me were..

-The kid characters are god fucking awful, i mean what are their characters? All i got from them was that their parents were getting divorced and the little one was a bit sad about it and older one didn't give a shit, oh and he's heterosexual, and he's a prick to his younger brother (which is outright stated by his mum). Great.

Why do i care at all about these guys? Not even their aunty gives a shit.

Now i don't normally mind leaps in logic but this one almost killed the film dead for me.
MAJOR fuck up imo.
-
Why was the first assumption the I-Rex had escaped? I'm pretty sure if it escaped you wouldn't have to realise it's missing to find out. Surely the first assumption of a genetic experiment that was grown in captivity and isolation and was showing no heat signatures would be that it had DIED. They instantly assume it escaped because of scratches on the wall? What? Personally when i saw the scratch marks i never thought "Oh it's escaped" i just thought "Oh it's been scratching the wall".

The scratches on the wall and supposed escape serves no purpose whatsoever. How it should have gone down is I-rex masks signature, ppl assume it's dead, have a quick scan via helicopter or something but can't find it and so eventually go in to check on it, I-rex unmasks signature, rawr rawr, escape. Same outcome with none of the stupidity.

Also just to put it out there i'm pretty sure climbing the wall would have been a physical impossibility for the I-rex because it's arms weren't long enough to reach the top. Fall back Mr animal expert.

And how the fuck does he know it was a trap? FOH.

-The I-Rex itself.
Well, it's a T-Rex isn't it? It's a white T-rex with longer arms. I imagine the reason for this is because they knew how iconic and popular the T-rex is but felt they couldn't just roll out the T-Rex again so they met right in the middle between clever and dumb and just altered the T-rex enough so that they could call it something different. I get why they did it but...ehhh a T-rex would have been fine.

Finale Spoilers.
-
They did the actual T-rex dirty, again. Shit cuts me deep. I'll admit i might be being a little irrational and unreasonable in regards to this point but still..It lost the fight. Not happy.

- The bit where the business lady flings off her jacket, undoes her shirt and pouts. Nope. Wasn't funny, endearing, charming or anything other than shit. She's a shite character.

- The first "bonding/laughing" scene between the brothers after they narrowly escaped being torn to shreds mere seconds ago. No. Wrong time, painfully shit dialogue, doesn't work and isn't believable at all.

Saw it yesterday and enjoyed it, especially the
end battle between the Rexes and Raptors but Mosasaur Ex Machina felt a bit dumb. I would've preferred if the I Rex was pushed into the tank.

The Pterosaur attack though was incredibly stupid and the worst part for me - why would they all fly in the same direction and attack everyone? Would've made more sense if someone fired a cannon of dead fish onto the crowd or something to at least motivate the attack. I really cringed at the Pterosaur trying to lift the baby Triceratops - it's like an eagle trying lift a baby Elephant. And on the topic of the baby Dinos did anyone else feel sorry for those babies being exhibited that way and ridden around?

I didn't mind the running in heels either. It would've been nice if there was more exploring and showing the different dinosaurs in the Gyrosphere scene and maybe have the brothers reflect more on their relationship.

Overall it still doesn't hold a candle to the first film (as it felt like the scenes were bit too rushed at times,
especially at the beginning when they were going from home to airport to monorail etc.
) and I would rank it on par with TLW for me. I definitely got feels when the main theme came up! 7/10

I also wonder at the potential storyline for the sequel/s? I hope no more ordinary people getting stuck on the island and needing rescue like JP3!
Maybe the Ingen Military program is planting the seeds for a possible future storyline
? Edit: *sorry spoiler tagged the last bit

Dryk

So... Was the ending really just that? Surprised no one is talking about it.
I think I'm the only person I know that didn't care about any of the plot holes and really enjoyed it up until the last few parts where it the tone went weird and it got way stupider. I actually had my mouth open the entire time because I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

I enjoyed it, good popcorn fun. Two notes:

- I don't feel like Chris Pratt was really used very well here. He felt like a stock hero, without much of a personality.

- I forgot how brutal these movies can be. There may not be much blood but damn some of these deaths were harsh.

Boss Doggie

-
Why was the first assumption the I-Rex had escaped? I'm pretty sure if it escaped you wouldn't have to realise it's missing to find out. Surely the first assumption of a genetic experiment that was grown in captivity and isolation and was showing no heat signatures would be that it had DIED. They instantly assume it escaped because of scratches on the wall? What? Personally when i saw the scratch marks i never thought "Oh it's escaped" i just thought "Oh it's been scratching the wall".

The scratches on the wall and supposed escape serves no purpose whatsoever. How it should have gone down is I-rex masks signature, ppl assume it's dead, have a quick scan via helicopter or something but can't find it and so eventually go in to check on it, I-rex unmasks signature, rawr rawr, escape. Same outcome with none of the stupidity.

Oh yeah that did bother me with the I-Rex cage.

If it escaped, how the fuck no one heard of it?

entremet

Anyone miss the practical effects? So much computer effects in this one.

The original ages really well due to the practical effects.

Toa TAK

Banned
Anyone miss the practical effects? So much computer effects in this one.

The original ages really well due to the practical effects.

No, I do, too. It was kinda jarring in a way for me because I had rewatched the films prior, and watching JW it felt like the practical effects were sorely missing in some way. Really happy that the Apatosaurus got in, though. Good scene.

Miker

I feel like the movie wasn't sure what audience to aim for. It went back and forth from family friendly (divorce rips families apart!) to horror (people getting straight up mauled by dinos!). I imagine that some families who brought younger kids would've been surprised by some of the violence.

So this movie was enjoyable i suppose, pretty much what i expected. I just can't believe critics didn't tear it apart more. The movie is just DUMB and so poorly written. Makes me upset they didn't handle the return of this franchise better.

Toa TAK

Banned
I feel like the movie wasn't sure what audience to aim for. It went back and forth from family friendly (divorce rips families apart!) to horror (people getting straight up mauled by dinos!). I imagine that some families who brought younger kids would've been surprised by some of the violence.

In that regard, it's no different then the rest of the films.

Red Comet

Saw it again today. Enjoyed it even more the second time. Thought it was definitely a better blockbuster overall than Age of Ultron.

Just returned from the screening, all in all it was decent, but some parts felt insultingly stupid and infuriating, like the scene where
the kids left the (triceratops?) enclosure to venture out into the forest.

It doesn't immediately strike you as something stupid given that they're kids, but in the scene a whole chunk of the wall is missing and beyond that is visibly dark, off limits forest area that no sane person, whether adult or child, would tread in a goddamn glass bubble knowing full well the place is inhabited by dinosaurs. The little kid even warns the older one not to, but he goes ahead and does it anyway and ends up in a predicament with the I-Rex.

That sequence was just dumb, thrilling, but dumb. Maybe they could have had it so that one of dinos accidentally knocks the bubble out of the enclosure, or something to that effect, but in its current form it irked me. Don't strip characters of common sense for quick and easy plot progression.

It was an improvement over JP3, but doesn't hold a candle to the first one.

While I agree that it was dumb, the choice was also a character moment.
The older brother did it to make up for being mean to his brother regarding theit parent's divorce. He thought his brother would like seeing more dinos up close. However, this choice is especially dumb because of the warnings. They should have made the choice before they knew it would be trouble.

T'Zariah

Banned
What I seriously don't get about these movies is how do the screenwriters NOT see how obviously dumb and illogical it is and don't fight to make it at least make SENSE, even if it's dumb. Come one, now.

Boss Doggie

The more I think about this movie and its plot the more it infuriates me. Which is weird because when I think back at JP and analyze it more it doesn't give me that feeling. Like, the only glaring stuff I can think of with JP1 was the Rex Ex Machina, the raptor scene in the fridge, and Tim being useless during the computer area.

While I agree that it was dumb, the choice was also a character moment.
The older brother did it to make up for being mean to his brother regarding theit parent's divorce. He thought his brother would like seeing more dinos up close. However, this choice is especially dumb because of the warnings. They should have made the choice before they knew it would be trouble.

I would have liked it more if he got reprimanded by the kid.

It's applicable to all of the movies in the franchise, though I agree it is a bit more distracting here.

Saw it first thing this morning. I loved it, a perfect silly summer movie. All of the nods to the first film was well done. Especially the first time
you see the lead system admin with the Jurassic Park t-shirt and Claire breaks down what happened to the Park.

Side note crazy part incoming:

I read that crazy script years ago for the Jurassic film that was going to deal with cross-breeding humans with dino's that fought crime and had the ability to fire weapons.

Based on what they have established with
what Dr. Wu was up to.
it could happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom