• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just bought a PSP...now what?

Gattsu25

Banned
IcebergSlim3000: Motherboards are no longer a concern

mr jones said:
I don't own a PSP yet. I just have games:
Lumines
Ridge Racer
Syphon Filter
Virtua Tennis

...and I want to go after Daxter, Every Extend Extra, Exit, Killzone: Liberation, Loco Roco, and Metal Slug Anthology when its released.

So my questions are:
Is it worth going after a 1.5 PSP? I like the idea not having to carry the UMDs around, and just play the games off of one or two memory cards. Other than PSX, I'm not really in to emulation. Portals sound pretty cool, as well.

Is there an advantage to having a PSP with the most up-to-date Sony firmware? Are there features that you'll find using Sony's firmware that you won't find in homebrew hacks?

Is it difficult to use homebrew applications?
I'm talking about converting DVDs to PSP format. Transferring games from UMD to the memory card. Converting PSX games to be played via emulator. Are there places with decently written how-tos to be able to figure this out?

Thanks!
No
Not Really
Not often

Use DVD Shrink and PSP Video 9 for DVDs (do a google search for a step by step guide)
use Popstation for PSX games

Popstation link: http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/about60371.html

Gattsu25

Banned
travisbickle said:
Hey you guys.............is Ace Combat any good for the PSP?
I was able to try it out two nights ago, looks pretty ****ing good and controls great...not able to tell much about how it'll end up because I only went through the first mission, but the game seemed decent enough. Worth buying? I dunno

Ichirou said:
Well, I am sort of going to be playing PS1 games on it...I picked up PoPoLoCrois.

As it stands now, my games list:

Mega Man Powered Up
Gundam Battle Tactics
Gundam Battle Royale
Me & My Katamari
Sakura Taisen 1&2
PoPoLoCrois

Sakura taisen is supposed to have less voice iirc, i would also give at least the 1st LoH a shot, you might like it. see if you can try it out in a used shop or something.

Aurelius

I bought a PSP last summer for LocoRoco and ended up also buying Outrun 2 SP and Daxter. After that the love died down. But I'm now enjoying Sid Meier's Pirates and am planning to buy Metal Slug Anthology and Lemmings.

I tend to stay away from the crappy PS2-ports and most original games. Still, my most played console apart from the DS at the moment.

mug

Managed to downgrade and upgrade to 3.03OE-C and I'm liking that version the best. What are the best emulators out there in order to run SNES, etc?

timnich

mug said:
Managed to downgrade and upgrade to 3.03OE-C and I'm liking that version the best. What are the best emulators out there in order to run SNES, etc?

SNES - SnesPSP_TYL v0.4.2 (nice performance, high compatibility)
GBA - GPSP 0.9 (runs many games at full speed)
Genesis/Megadrive - DGEN v1.70 (Works well enough for the few games I've tried)

Those are the three I use, aside from Popstation. You can find them by searching google.

What are some good PSP apps? I found a really nice text reader for walkthroughs and a decent picture viewer, but what are some really great must-have applications that add functionality to the PSP?

Top Bottom