• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just bought a Xbox Series X controller

Jaysen

Banned

nordique

All of the best rechargeable batteries are rebranded Eneloops. For a couple years even Apple sold batteries which were rebranded Eneloops.

For point of reference here's how my controllers perform:
Xbox Series X controller with White Eneloops - roughly 30 hours per charge
Xbox Series X controller with Play and Charge kit - roughly 20 hours per charge
Dualsense controller with built in lithium ion battery with haptics set to low and triggers set to off - 12 hours per charge

amazing run down

thanks. I’ll have to look into these

acm2000

Xbox controller + play & charge kit + official dongle = best pc controller

You can even buy a version for pc that comes with the dongle.

Got what I needed and am about to start using it, but another question I have is how likely am I to run into compatibility issues with older games? If it worked with a One controller will it work with this?

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I have 4 wireless 360 controllers for my PC with the offical USB adapter. 3 with the superior dpad (rotating dpad model).

The DPADs eventaully break on those but I have a bunch of extra DPADs and i just swap them out when that happens.

However the controllers are starting to show their age. Stick drift, shoulders not registering sometimes. I am debating opening them all up completely and giving them a good clean, or upgrading to the new Xbox controller. I already have the wireless USB adapter for the Xbox One controller.

Not sure if I should take the plunge yet or not. 360 controller still feels great to me and Xbox One controller was ok but the DPAD was too small.

Last edited:
I have 4 wireless 360 controllers for my PC with the offical USB adapter. 3 with the superior dpad (rotating dpad model).

The DPADs eventaully break on those but I have a bunch of extra DPADs and i just swap them out when that happens.

However the controllers are starting to show their age. Stick drift, shoulders not registering sometimes. I am debating opening them all up completely and giving them a good clean, or upgrading to the new Xbox controller. I already have the wireless USB adapter for the Xbox One controller.

Not sure if I should take the plunge yet or not. 360 controller still feels great to me and Xbox One controller was ok but the DPAD was too small.
The 360 was one of the best controllers ever but it does have the issue with the rubber texture on the thumbsticks wearing away over time, same deal with the slimmer original Xbox controllers.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Still haven't been able to connect different Xbox controllers to my computers. Gonna have to just get the Microsoft dongle for it. I'm amazed at how bad the bluetooth is.
The bluetooth is fine. I have a generic dongle and an Asus one and they both worked. I also have the MS dongle which works flawlessly.

As far as batteries go, I buy reams of AA from Costco and Amazon. I have kids so the convenience is worth being a wasteful cunt. I prefer it to the the fucking PS controllers. When the controller gets low I can swap batteries in less than a minute. I had noticed with 360 controllers that a failure mode was the battery pack losing good connection. But those things failed well into the Xbone gen so it was time to retire them. My dog chewed my Xbone controller so I got an XSX one.

Shakka43

Buy the official wireless dongle from Microsoft, don't mess with bluetooth it's shit. Trust me, you have no idea what a big difference the dongle makes but you'll kick yourself for not having gotten it already. It's that big of a deal.
This. If the bluetooth module on the Series' controller is anything similar to the Elite 2 controller then it's gonna be a shitty experience to play that way.
The Wireless Adapter on the other hand makes the connection perfect.

Btw, if you can still return it then do that and get the 8bitdo Pro 2 controller, looks good, has the Sticks in the right place, no big led lights, has two back buttons and a rechargeable and removable battery.
03X3THW4WJVSCAUhjR4KJTD-1.1617213404.fit_scale.size_760x427.jpg

I will most likely open mine once it arrives to switch the face buttons though lol.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Buy the official wireless dongle from Microsoft, don't mess with bluetooth it's shit. Trust me, you have no idea what a big difference the dongle makes but you'll kick yourself for not having gotten it already. It's that big of a deal.

Still haven't been able to connect different Xbox controllers to my computers. Gonna have to just get the Microsoft dongle for it. I'm amazed at how bad the bluetooth is.

i second this. the xbox wireless dongle is awsome. that and the official play and charge kit with the usb c cable.

This so much this.

i wasted so much fucking time on connection issues.

be sure to update your windows 10 and controller!

Also yeah use tape on the logo.Lights on controllers are hands down the dumbest fucking thing they added.

xbox QC can be a bit all over the place.
so be very careful of any sticky buttons.
Or weird dpad issues. imo the series X controller is a downgrade.. my one X controller never had any BT issues(worked fine without the need of the official dongle)

i srsly returned 6 xbox controllers. Inc 4 elite v2
They all had issues.

gl with trying to set up MP on windows 10 i flat out gave up using BT

Why is this? I just bought a Series X controller for PC to play Halo and use as a remote for the TV. Playing yesterday with just normal bluetooth I would lose connection all the time or start to lag. I never had a problem with my dualshock 4 set up wirelessly.

So far it's been perfectly fine with the dongle though. Why can't this thing just use normal bluetooth like a playstation controller?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Why is this? I just bought a Series X controller for PC to play Halo and use as a remote for the TV. Playing yesterday with just normal bluetooth I would lose connection all the time or start to lag. I never had a problem with my dualshock 4 set up wirelessly.

So far it's been perfectly fine with the dongle though. Why can't this thing just use normal bluetooth like a playstation controller?
My bet it’s some kind of BT power saving tech that fucks up the signal 🧐

So, I have another question.

I've been busy with other things lately and haven't been gaming much, but I have the controller hooked up to my PC via the dongle, my question is when I turn the computer off does it turn the controller off to save battery time? I can't tell whether it's on or off because I put black tape over the logo.

SamFo

Hijacking this thread to ask if anyone else gets a sticky right trigger? Have 2 SeX controllers that have that now...

Soodanim

I absolutely agree about lights being annoying on electronics. Every single one should have options for turning them off.

I just had a controller and dongle in the basket on the MS UK site for £70, but I realised a couple things -
•I don’t think I can get over the noise of the controller. It’s hard work finding noise comparisons so I had to find controller ASMR, but a video on Xbox and DS5 shows the difference. I can’t imagine playing a Souls game and hearing a click every time I attack with R1, or any 2D/menu hearing a click for every input.
•The textures/grips on everything would be a turn off. Not once have I ever found a concave trigger lacking for grip.

So as much as I like the look of the Series controller, as well as the benefits of MS’ own wireless over BT, I have to go with my instincts on this one. The forever light didn’t help its chances, either.
Update to this. Got my hands on one in person the other day and I’m much more inclined to buy one now. The buttons aren’t nearly as loud as I expected, and the bumpers in particular are more feedback than noise. Much less audible than Steam Controller.

If my DS4 ever fails, I know what my replacement is likely to be. I’m sure there will be an upside in not having to emulate the 360 controller, too. DS1 doesn’t like it, for example. Forced to use SteamInput for that.

If I was less careful with money, I’d already have one.

For use with my PC and I got some questions.

First of all how does wireless work for PC? Do most PCs have blue tooth? Does the controller have a blue tooth receiver inside of it?

Secondly if you use it wirelessly how much battery life do you get?

And finally is there a way to turn the Xbox logo off from glowing white, unlike the One controller? (I like to play in the dark)
probably would help to ask these questions before you bought one. everything is working on moving to usb c. your level of frustration over such minor stuff is interesting to say the least.
there is an xbox accessories app that lets me change the brightness level of the xbox icon for my elite controllers. i'm not sure if it works on a normal controller or not. try that for yours. you can get it from windows 10 store.

probably would help to ask these questions before you bought one. everything is working on moving to usb c. your level of frustration over such minor stuff is interesting to say the least.
there is an xbox accessories app that lets me change the brightness level of the xbox icon for my elite controllers. i'm not sure if it works on a normal controller or not. try that for yours. you can get it from windows 10 store.
Like I said, it was an impulse buy while I was at Target, if I had know I couldn't just plug the thing in I would have thought twice, even though my Xbox One controller was worn slap out anyway.

Next time I'll do a little research before buying something like that again, but it's stupid the thing doesn't just USB, what is there to gain other than making you buy more crap?

nemiroff

Gold Member

First of all how does wireless work for PC? Do most PCs have blue tooth? Does the controller have a blue tooth receiver inside of it?

And finally is there a way to turn the Xbox logo off from glowing white, unlike the One controller? (I like to play in the dark)

I'm pretty sure I turned down the Xbox logo brightness with the Xbox Accessory app on my Elite 2 controller.. Don't know if it also works on the XSX controller, but worth the try.

Edit: Xbox Accessories App. I misspelled it.. It's for both Xbox and PC.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This so much this.

i wasted so much fucking time on connection issues.

be sure to update your windows 10 and controller!

Also yeah use tape on the logo.Lights on controllers are hands down the dumbest fucking thing they added.

xbox QC can be a bit all over the place.
so be very careful of any sticky buttons.
Or weird dpad issues. imo the series X controller is a downgrade.. my one X controller never had any BT issues(worked fine without the need of the official dongle)

i srsly returned 6 xbox controllers. Inc 4 elite v2
They all had issues.

gl with trying to set up MP on windows 10 i flat out gave up using BT

I'm sorry but if you had to return 6 controllers, the problem is you and not the controllers.

And those of you complaining that ms updated the controller to support the clearly superior usb c are ridiculous.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I'm sorry but if you had to return 6 controllers, the problem is you and not the controllers.

And those of you complaining that ms updated the controller to support the clearly superior usb c are ridiculous.
Fuck off 🤣🤣

Last edited:

How is it superior? You press buttons, an action happens, what more could be possibly be gained with usb c that makes it worth the hassle?

cormack12

Gold Member
XboxAcc_Wire_2.jpg

Got this bad boy yesterday. Love the colour scheme. The triggers I'm not a fan of and they really need an OS level deadzone for the sticks. The DPad is also too clicky for me in general.

Last edited:
Like I said, it was an impulse buy while I was at Target, if I had know I couldn't just plug the thing in I would have thought twice, even though my Xbox One controller was worn slap out anyway.

Next time I'll do a little research before buying something like that again, but it's stupid the thing doesn't just USB, what is there to gain other than making you buy more crap?
there are so many reasons they went with usb c. the bottom line is all tech is moving to usb c except for maybe apple cause apple. it's something you're going to have to deal with eventually. i'm not going to list out everything or do the research for you, but i did a google search and this link has most of your answers.

USB Type-C Explained: What is USB-C and Why You’ll Want it (howtogeek.com)

I wish it were an option. It is quite bright and in your face.

This is their best controller yet (and a great controller overall) and the DPad is excellent now despite being a bit loud. The face buttons need to be pressed a bit more firmly than I remember (if you feather them they might not register 100% of the time more like 98% or so).

The light on top is bright and directed to the players and it is the only controller I know of that made this choice (others either pointed away from the player or can be adjusted and are thin trips).
Is this really an issue? I don't think I've ever noticed the Xbox buttons brightness before. Do you have this problem when playing in total darkness or during the day as well?

For people proposing to turn the light off how do you know the controller is on then? Syncing it also has the light flashing indicating that it is in pairing mode. How can you do that with no light?

S0ULZB0URNE

The Series X controller might be my favorite controller of all time. It works with Bluetooth but I prefer to use a USB dongle. It instantly connects and I've never had sync or lag issues. Bluetooth can be picky and before I got the dongle, it didn't seem like it always wanted to connect.

Battery life is roughly about 30 hours. I recommend a Play and Charge kit. Xbox One batteries work.

Logo, I don't think you can turn it off.
Does that adapter also work for the headsets and if so can I use my XSX headset and controller at the same time on my PC with it?

dcx4610

Does that adapter also work for the headsets and if so can I use my XSX headset and controller at the same time on my PC with it?
Which headset? I don't use a headset personally. It sounds like it should if it connects to the controller or uses Xbox's WiFi direct:

"With the new and improved Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows 10, you can play your favorite PC games using any Xbox Wireless Controller. Features a 66% smaller design, wireless stereo sound support, and the ability to connect up to eight controllers at once.*"

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
How is it superior? You press buttons, an action happens, what more could be possibly be gained with usb c that makes it worth the hassle?
Really? It's only the most common cable used on almost every USB device for the past 2-3 years. It's reversible, unlike micro USB.
Complaining about this is akin to complaining about progress on anything......

Banned

battery life depends on the battery you use. you can choose from typical AA batteries of varying capacity, or battery packs of varying capacity and quality either from microsoft themselves or third party manufacturers.

the official battery pack (play and charge kit) gives you about 20h of battery life, sometimes more, sometimes less depending on the game.

Another issue I've encountered is the dongle, it seems to be useless, I can't keep it connected without it disconnecting every time I turn the computer off or at least change the batteries on the controller.

To reconnect I have to not only hit the button on the dongle, but pull it out and plug it back in, I'm certainly not doing that every time I sit down to game, nor am I going to do it frequently at all, so Bluetooth it is then!

With Bluetooth I can easily connect it and when connected with Bluetooth it shows battery life, which I need to know and that's not shown when connected via the dongle.

I've not had any trouble just using Bluetooth, so that's good enough for me.

type c is infinitely stronger port than shitty old micro usb
Too bad I'm using it wireless and it makes no difference what usb it uses when doing that.

battery life depends on the battery you use. you can choose from typical AA batteries of varying capacity, or battery packs of varying capacity and quality either from microsoft themselves or third party manufacturers.

the official battery pack (play and charge kit) gives you about 20h of battery life, sometimes more, sometimes less depending on the game.
20 hours is kind of garbo to be honest, how much battery life does it have using just AAs?

I like using it wirelessly but if recharging or changing the batteries is too frequent I'll have to go back to using a cord.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
You'll need the dongle and the battery pack. That way you can just use the cable to your PC to recharge and continue playing, and you won't have to pair the controller again with BT as you would have without the dongle.

Pretty insane you need to buy three separate products to get a normally functioning controller but that's where it's at.

Top Bottom