• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

gdt

Enco said:
How do you get a DS3 to work?

I got motionjoy set up but JC2 only has options for a 360 controller?

Just plug in a DS3, go to motionjoy, select 360 controller emulation, enable the DS3 (check to see if it vibrates) then you're good to go.

Enco

gdt5016 said:
Just plug in a DS3, go to motionjoy, select 360 controller emulation, enable the DS3 (check to see if it vibrates) then you're good to go.
Thanks man, works now.

Was going to try that but shrugged it off haha.

Gvaz

Banned
Kyaw said:
Flying planes with the keyboard is mighty hard...
Not for me
emot-smug.gif

Enco

Gvaz said:
Not for me
emot-smug.gif
It's not to bad, no.

Controls feel nice but it's gonna get some time to get used to it.

I never realised that cars can get dirty :p I had a nice shiny limo and after some off road desert driving it was covered in dirt.

Is there a mod out there that makes the planes not control like crap?

Also I can't seem to get a helicopter to land. I'm pressing all the usual vehicle buttons but nothing works. Are they stuck at whatever altitude you bring them up to?

Enco

Obsessed said:

Also I can't seem to get a helicopter to land. I'm pressing all the usual vehicle buttons but nothing works. Are they stuck at whatever altitude you bring them up to?
It's either left ctrl or shift. Can't remember.

Not sure about the mod thing.

Kyaw

Obsessed said:

left shift to gain altitude

left ctrl to come down

Helicopters are pretty easy to control in JC2.

Got used to flying planes now, feels epic just flying, doing loops and going underneath cranes and stuff.

One thing i don't like though is how the planes just explode if you just about touch something else with the wings.

Salaadin

Planes do take some getting used to but Im pretty good with them now. FLying a plane at sunset over the ocean is so nice in this game.

I cant tell you how many times I am flying and I start to pan the camera to enjoy the sights when I realize that Im heading straight into a building with no time left to turn away. Oh shit *boom*

Is there a camera mod? Especially while in Helicopters how it locks to a certain box behind it, you can't go all the way around or look directly down or back.

ASilva

Neo Member
Planes? I just fly everywhere! After I installed and tried out the "Superman" mod i don't want anything else. The game is soooooooo much fun with that + improved grappling hook.

I had the game for the PS3 and wasn't really feeling it, sold it. Got the PC version on the steam sale and MAN what a difference! The game itself looks gorgeous and the mods available make it much more fun to me.

Also, HD Clouds <3

Enco

ASilva said:
Planes? I just fly everywhere! After I installed and tried out the "Superman" mod i don't want anything else. The game is soooooooo much fun with that + improved grappling hook.

I had the game for the PS3 and wasn't really feeling it, sold it. Got the PC version on the steam sale and MAN what a difference! The game itself looks gorgeous and the mods available make it much more fun to me.

Also, HD Clouds <3
Guess I'll have to try the Superman mod now haha.

zkylon

zkylewd
Obsessed said:

You can land helicopters if you're patient. I've done it, though you're kinda misinterpreting Just Cause 2 by doing so.

I've played around a little while but now i regret playing it on hard. Anyone knows any way to change the difficulty (playing with some hex files and whatnot) without having to restart the game? The linear segments at the beginning are just dreadful...

Kyaw

Gonna get those free camera mods. Fucking hate it when i'm flying the plane, looking around, enjoying the sights and BAM, auto center!

I got the satellite rocket/nuke mod for the normal rocket launcher, played the game and kept getting killed by rocket explosions from afar, and then i realised it was the nuke rockets from the npcs... :facepalm moment for me.

I'm loving the boat races with jumping across the land bit to get to the other water areas. SO MUCH FUN!

Also the Japanese bermuda triangle island with electric thingies mission was pretty damn cool.

PBalfredo said:
I got the game on steam. Flying around the island is pretty amazing.

Where do I install mod files?

For most mods you have to make a folder called 'dropzone' in the directory...

C:/Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/Common/Just Cause 2/(make folder 'dropzone)

There should be instructions with the mods.

I'm gonna cry. I bought the same 30k jetplane 3 times just to have it crash before I could even take off...

It randomly exploded on some segment of beach!!! How? I didn't crash into anything!

Salaadin

Obsessed said:
I'm gonna cry. I bought the same 30k jetplane 3 times just to have it crash before I could even take off...

It randomly exploded on some segment of beach!!! How? I didn't crash into anything!

Use the mod that makes everything on the black market cost $0.00

ASilva

Neo Member
SapientWolf said:
Doesn't it kind of break the game?

I don't think so. I've played alot without it on the PS3 and i've played quite a bit with it on the PC now and i don't think it "breaks" the game.

It just makes traveling around faster and waaaay more enjoyable.

Man I love this game. But if there is a mod I would really enjoy it's one that tones down the "damage" effect. It seems like as soon as the bullets start flying, my screen is flashing red and it's incredibly distracting. Searched justcause2mods.com and didn't notice anything. Does anyone know of something like this?

mileS

Playing this again on PC, this time with a 360 controller. I don't know whats wrong but left bumper (default grapple) isn't working, but A is jump, grapple, and parachute... Nothing showing up from a google search either.

Enco

Thought I'd make a list of the mods I use to help others who are new:

Improved Mine Explosions - The default mine explosion isn't too great and this mod has many varieties you can choose from. I like to use the Air Explosion as it's the most balanced. I think it's a must.

Less Psychic Police - Like in Oblivion, the cops tend to come after you if you hijack a plane over the middle of nowhere. Luckily this mod helps that.

No Black Market Cutscenes - Self explanatory. They get EXTREMELY annoying after a while so this combats that.

Black Market Free - This makes all items free (clearly). I just got this recently as someone here talked about how you shouldn't have ammo limitations in a game like this and I agreed with him. The reason I use two different black market mods is that I don't really want to unlock every vehicle in the game because that takes away some of the adventure (if that makes sense).

Longer Grappling Hook - Makes the game much more fun. Your whip will also be more powerful. I don't think the speed really changes. Just the length. Sometimes your old grappling hook doesn't disappear straight away but this is a minor graphical glitch.

HD clouds - Not necessary but they look cool.

Came in to ask how this game is. From everything Ive read, it sounds and looks like a prettier version of Mercenaries, except youve got a grappling hook and parachute.

This game is incredible. Got it during the Summer Sale and I'm having a blast.

If you liked San Andreas then you should like this game. Panau is simply incredible, so much things to do. It's also a REALLY good looking game.

Madrugador said:
This game is incredible. Got it during the Summer Sale and I'm having a blast.

If you liked San Andreas then you should like this game. Panau is simply incredible, so much things to do. It's also a REALLY good looking game.

awesome thanks man. buying on break today. how are the combat physics and gunplay? are the explosions pretty?

zkylon

zkylewd
Enco said:
Thought I'd make a list of the mods I use to help others who are new:

Improved Mine Explosions - The default mine explosion isn't too great and this mod has many varieties you can choose from. I like to use the Air Explosion as it's the most balanced. I think it's a must.

Less Psychic Police - Like in Oblivion, the cops tend to come after you if you hijack a plane over the middle of nowhere. Luckily this mod helps that.

No Black Market Cutscenes - Self explanatory. They get EXTREMELY annoying after a while so this combats that.

Black Market Free - This makes all items free (clearly). I just got this recently as someone here talked about how you shouldn't have ammo limitations in a game like this and I agreed with him. The reason I use two different black market mods is that I don't really want to unlock every vehicle in the game because that takes away some of the adventure (if that makes sense).

Longer Grappling Hook - Makes the game much more fun. Your whip will also be more powerful. I don't think the speed really changes. Just the length. Sometimes your old grappling hook doesn't disappear straight away but this is a minor graphical glitch.

HD clouds - Not necessary but they look cool.
Thanks for this. Probably gonna install them all.

bengraven

I played this game an hour last year and I didn't get into it.

Then I started again last week and something snapped. I "get it" now. Jesus Christ, this is an awesome game. To me, this is the true sequel to Mercenaries.

Grapple/parachuting is the only way to travel...I rarely get into a car or cycle these days. I just R1+A then grapple to speed up my chute until I'm traveling over the roads faster than the cars. So mmmmmuuuch fun.

I've only done two or three faction quests, 4 or 5 stronghold quests and the first 2 main quests.

Honestly, going around to the hundreds of little villages and outposts and clearing them 100% has taken up 90% of my time.

I just wish ammo clips were bigger...I'm getting sick of running out of ammo...I'm upgrading my guns just to try and save on ammo, but in the process enemy soldiers are getting stronger and becoming even bigger sponges. Also, enemy guards are annoying...seriously, sending helicopters after me because I destroyed a water tower in the middle of nowhere?

TheMan

bengraven said:
I just wish ammo clips were bigger...I'm getting sick of running out of ammo...I'm upgrading my guns just to try and save on ammo, but in the process enemy soldiers are getting stronger and becoming even bigger sponges. Also, enemy guards are annoying...seriously, sending helicopters after me because I destroyed a water tower in the middle of nowhere?

These are my biggest gripes with an otherwise awesome game. This is why I always use an attack helicopter when taking out structures to clear a town. I can easily deal with enemy helicopters this way.

diffusionx

Gold Member
bengraven said:

Crisis is opportunity, jack that shit and go fuck up more water towers. Or fly away if it's too hairy. The escalation in this game never bothered me the way it did in Red Faction Guerrilla, simply because you're so much more mobile here.

True sequel to Crackdown, too bad that game never got one (Crackdown HAS NO SEQUEL guys).

JumpingTheGun said:
awesome thanks man. buying on break today. how are the combat physics and gunplay? are the explosions pretty?
Expect to be disappointed, it's really as if combat / gunplay was an afterthought. And the physics isn't great, it uses Havok which is just eugh.

I love the game itself though, other than Motorstorm Apocalypse, it's the only game I've actually ever platinum'd.

DrBo42

I know there was a small group of people working on using that Superman mod for an Iron Man total conversion, but I think it died. Would have been amazing if done right.

DanielJr82

Four hours! I got the game in the mail earlier this week and I'm just now putting some time into it. I had to take a break from four hours just dicking around! Random settlement, cruise helis, planes, cars, bikes, boats; do a few story missions, etc. I love open world games (RDR being my favorite), but the scale in this one is simply massive. I was truly awed when I cruised the islands on a helicopter, and then I encountered the mile high club flying party cruiser, lmao.

Right now the only thing I can't stand are the airplane races. Flying a plane is awesome, but don't ask me to be precise. A freggin' one star race is way more difficult than a 3 star car race. >_<

Besides that, I'm loving the massive size and scope of Just Cause 2. I'll get more into once I finish my Brass Balls run of Bioshock soon.

Kinda feel like shit that I got this during the Summer Sale for all of $7.50 - all dlc included. Feel like I should cut the developer a check and send it to them or something...

AppleBlade

Just purchased this game from games on demand. Do you guys have any suggestions on the order that I should play missions/side quests. I'm also playing on the lowest difficulty, is that what you guys would recommend.

MrVargas said:
Just purchased this game from games on demand. Do you guys have any suggestions on the order that I should play missions/side quests. I'm also playing on the lowest difficulty, is that what you guys would recommend.

Do as you please, the earlier missions aren't difficult. I just did as many faction missions as possible before doing any of the main missions, then spent the rest of my time fucking shit up.

Finished this game last month after buying it on a whim, it was soooo good, but so long. Faction missions got really samey after 20 hours, but there is surprisingly a lot to do - especially after discovering the airport :p

Laekon

Without giving away anything does it matter what faction you support the most? I've just been focusing on stronghold and story missions with just enough random mission to advance the others.

vanty

Laekon said:
Without giving away anything does it matter what faction you support the most? I've just been focusing on stronghold and story missions with just enough random mission to advance the others.
You can do faction stuff as much as you want, it doesn't really affect anything. Don't think this is a spoiler, but anyway:
the whole map will be covered in faction influence by the time you finish, they just have set borders so one faction can't take land that another could have gotten. From what I remember it doesn't change the story or missions or anything.

TheBez

I installed this game but the cutscenes are way out of whack. The audio does not play correctly with what is going on. Does/did anyone else have this problem and know of a solution?

Top Bottom