• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 |OT| Procedural Chaos

the driving is horrible and the drifting is twitchy. im also having a problem with the grappling.. it doesn't seem to be as good as it was in Just Cause 2. ill give it a bit more time before requesting a refund.

UrbanRats

Played a little bit.
Looks gorgeous and it's a blast to play, everything on foot plays so much better than 2.

Only things i dislike are the car handling (though helicopters and boats are better, haven't tried other stuff) and the lack of a sprint button, Rico is such a slow runner... maybe it's an unlock later.

Also, i don't mind the new VA, awful but funny, that Dimah lady, too, pretty funny.
I don't think it's any different from JC2 and its shitty "Bolo Santosi" stuff, in that sense, only with a weird Spain/Italy mix, which makes it funnier.

DAT WATER.

So, uhh, how do you swim up to the surface? Seems like it should be obvious but everything I've tried just makes him swim straight and I drown. :/

NotLiquid

Yeah the car handling is the only thing I explicitly don't like. Not so much regular handling but the drifting is just so bleh. I'm not as averse towards Rico's on land speed since his tether does all the work for him but true it does feel kind of odd how he's not faster than he is (though that's mostly in a convention sense kind of like how it feels odd that Brutal Legend doesn't feature jumping).

Went ahead and got the digital download for the PS4. I think I saw it at $74.99 CAN last week pre-order (Standard Edition with the pre-order bonus). It was $69.99 today ($5.00 off deal for Canada?).

I did the 35GB download and the extras install, checked the unlock time. It's sitting at 6 hours to go (1am MT). Now it's doing a "application data" of 41.184GB. I take it that's the install of the full game? Or a unlock thingy? Thing is slow as hell also, 4 hours left.

Karak

the driving is horrible and the drifting is twitchy. im also having a problem with the grappling.. it doesn't seem to be as good as it was in Just Cause 2. ill give it a bit more time before requesting a refund.

Yep. I hit it hard in the review because originally I thought oh this is going to get better bet then after about 10 hours of switching the damn settings back and forth I realized...its just laggy.
My thoughts after 2 hours on ps4... JC2 was a lot better.

In the end I felt the same.

Well a I played a little only liberated the second place at the start, so far I think it's a fairly solid 60FPS for me and the settings I'm using but is it just me or is the lighting a little glitchy? Specifically sun light. Also seems to be a world of mimes with all the missing props. Or Medici, well at least that place is the mime capitol of the world/Medici.

That wing suit is going to take more getting use to but I think I got the hang of it. I really, really don't like how swimming is handled it took me way too long to realize (or remember) that ascending/descending was attached to the camera. Damn near drowned three times.

Just wait one god damn minute, I was too lazy to do the math on the timer but this unlocks at 12 am PST? What happened to 9 pm?!

Aw hell my night's ruined now.

Played for three hours... already back to Fallout 4.

What this game needs:

1. A mod that unlocks all of the upgrades. The side activities to earn them legitimately are terrible and boring, and you're forced to do them if you want to have all the cool gear that makes wrecking bases fun.

2. A jetpack or actual flight. Rico feels weirdly sluggish and tough to maneuver whenever you're trying to do more than a simple A to B grapple. Wingsuit is alright, but after the beauty that was the JC2 flight mod, it doesn't come close.

3. Fully destructable environments. Okay, this game should have just been Red Faction: Guerrilla 2. The first time I arrived at a base with immense smoke stacks that I couldn't destroy, it felt horribly last gen.

I can't wait until mods and trainers come out and make this game really enjoyable.

Game is awesome!
Love it, its amazing

Runs beautifully everything maxed (except MB, because i hate MB), between 40-80 fps (avg 60 while flying, low 40's while explosiong, and 80 if not much is happening)

2600k @ 4.4Ghz
16gb ram
780 overclocked (mem and core)
1tb Seagate hybrid

No stuttering even flying around for a good 20mins all over the first island, unless the next islands prove troublesome, wont bother moving to my ssd. Menu's are a little iffy, but other than that the game itself is great.

UrbanRats

I'm curious about mod support for this.
That's where JC2 really shined for me (otherwise it would've been pretty mediocre) i hope it'll get supported.
Though given the initial reaction on GAF; maybe not, lol.

if the game gets slammed with refund requests the PC version might go on sale a lot sooner.. when is the Steam winter sales?

the ground vehicles aren't enjoyable.. if i spent $25 for the Air, Land & Sea Expansion Pass id be pretty pissed. hopefully they work on making it fun.

WaterAstro

That's where JC2 really shined for me (otherwise it would've been pretty mediocre) i hope it'll get supported.

It's running on Denuvo, another hurdle for mod support.

if the game gets slammed with refund requests the PC version might go on sale a lot sooner.. when is the Steam winter sales?

the ground vehicles aren't enjoyable.. if i spent $25 for the Air, Land & Sea Expansion Pass id be pretty pissed. hopefully they work on making it fun.

There is zero chance it goes on any sort of heavy sale on Steam anytime before the Spring. Winter Sale starts on the 22nd.

I am really terrible at controlling the wingsuit. Rico has headbutted so many mountains.

Just be glad Rico doesn't have to enter the NFL's concussion program. He could be out of play for two weeks. You wouldn't like his back up - Chico. I hear he his wing suit is made of duct tape and trash bags. He mainly just stays on the ground and pretends to glide by running around and making whoosh noises with his mouth.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Why are all the fun unlocks walled behind the insanely shitty minigames?

Probably just gonna cheat engine that shit, what a stupid ass decision.

I think most people are forgetting what JC2 was like without the mods.

Why are all the fun unlocks walled behind the insanely shitty minigames?

Probably just gonna cheat engine that shit, what a stupid ass decision.

Good luck with that, the frame rate drops to nil the moment I tried. Not sure if it's the DRM or some other nonsense, but a single value took me roughly 15 minutes to successfully modify, and I still had to quit to desktop after the 1FPS slideshow wouldn't end.

Gamespot and IGN both gave the game an 8.I usually assume a game is somewhere between their scores but I guess I have to assume this is a solid 8.

Logitech G930 Headphones don't seem to work with this game at all. Just awful cracking and popping sounds coming out and nothing else. Shame.

edit:

work around was to unplug them until at the main menu and then they worked.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Steam controller refuses to operate properly with this game. Great. This thing is so frustrating.

ironcreed

Banned
post-33307-okay-lets-ride-gif-Nicolas-Cag-ua7d.gif

krpiper

Was worried that my PC wouldnt run it but grabbed it on PC instead of console.

Good decision. Lots of fun! Lots of color, looks great and the explosions look awesome too! Wish I could play this on the couch but rather would have a better playing game!

Dang why is this thread so slow? I want to see some more impressions before I refund or keep my Steam purchase. Just wanna know if you get more cool tools like booster C4.

Tohsaka

Some annoyances after playing for an hour or so:

No native borderless fullscreen support
No sprint button
No mini-map
Precision aiming not immediately available, have to find whatever challenge unlocks it.

The above are limiting my enjoyment of the game, it's fun otherwise and runs really well on my setup.

Uh, turning off fullscreen gave me borderless window. The game actually booted up in a 1280x720 (lol) borderless window the first time I started it.

The issue, is that for me after that first boot the window just will not behave properly. My taskbar is on top of it now. Dunno what's up there.

danowat

Banned
If they can fix the load times I'll be happy, they are atrocious.

Outside of that it's a solid game, however, the progression system is a bit wank, tieing "mods" (why not just have upgrades?) to the mini games and challenges is a bizarre design decision.

ironcreed

Banned
It is so much better than JC2 it is not even funny. It just feels like a better production all around. A couple of shots:

Top Bottom