• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 PC performance thread

bigkrev

Just tried switching to offline mode... no difference at all for me on my 770

The part in the beginning when you fall off the airplane and it prompts you to open the parachute- it's basically a slideshow.

Settings:
Anisotropic Level 8x
FXAA
Bokeh OFF
Full Screen
Edge Fade OFF
Global Illumination OFF
LOD Factor LOW
1080P
Screen Space Reflections OFF
Shadow Quality High
Texture Quality Medium
Water Detail High
Water Tessellation OFF

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Just_Cause_3_-test-jc3_1920.jpg
http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Just_Cause_3_-test-jc3_2560.jpg

This is definitely a game where most people are going to have to tweak if they want 60fps - even at 1080. 1440 is gonna be fun tweaking for this game...

Maxwell vs GCN seems pretty even. Kepler is hurting (280X vs 770, ouch).

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Just_Cause_3_-test-jc3_vram.jpg

2GB cards be hurtin.

http://gamegpu.ru/action-/-fps-/-tps/just-cause-3-test-gpu.html

CPU:

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Just_Cause_3_-test-jc3_proz.jpg

Jeramii

Banned
This is unplayable right now on my GTX 970 + i5 2500k, everything at max on 1080p (only thing I turned down was SMAA, same reason most people in this thread mention, weird shit happening on screen). I was getting a solid 60fps for a few minutes, but once I hopped in the truck (at the start of the game) it got super unstable, and the audio is stuttering, along with unreliable framerates.

I hope this update from nVidia works magic.

GTX 970, i5-4690k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB RAM @ 2400MHz, 1080p @ 60Hz, all settings on max except only using SMAA and Edge Fade off

I'm getting a pretty solid 50-60FPS (except for huuuuge explosions) most of the time, but two glaring issues. There's intermittent flickering, which I think is SMAA (switching to FXAA seems to have removed it but I need to test that further). The larger issue is that the game starts getting massive frame drops (like, down to 10-20 FPS) intermittently with no discernible cause (i.e. nothing happening on screen except moving the camera, happens for only a second or two at most) after playing for ~30-45 minutes. Restarting the game fixes the issue, but given how long it takes to start up it's an extreme buzzkill.

EDIT: Just saw that offline mode helps, gonna see if that solves the frame drops after playing for a while.

bee

running 4k, max settings except no motion blur, on a 3570k, 16gb , titan x, gsync, only got up to the helicopter section, runs 35 - 60fps, no issues yet, was smooth no stuttering, will play after work

Phionoxx

Can't seem to get RTSS overlay to work with this game in order to show in game FPS. Do I need to change a setting somewhere? I have RTSS set to Vector 3D.

I just did that power plant from the early game, probably not considered super crazy with the explosions and I didn't blow shit up in really quick succession since half of the time I was just running around shooting and looking for stuff to destroy. I image if the explosions were bigger and in quicker succession (besides turbines) and in a heavier area this might've been a fair bit worse. It'll be interesting what the new driver and patch does.

And again for reference, my settings and specs.
Vertical sync: Not in game, using RTSS set to 60.
Anisotropic level: 16x
Resolution: 1080p
Anti-aliasing: Off
Texture quality: Very High
Water detail: Very High
Water tessellation: On
LOD factor: Very High
Shadow quality: High
SSAO: On
Motion blur: Off

Edge fade: On
Global illumination: On
Screen-space reflections: On
Bokeh depth of field: Off

W10
i5 2500k @ 4.5 GHz
EVGA GTX 970 SSC @ 1417 (memory stock)
16GB DDR3 @1866
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Just played for a while in offline mode- it definitely helped. I noticed far fewer FPS drops in seemingly random/generic locations without anything happening (though there were still some), and little to no flickering (though I don't think offline mode would really affect that, it could've just not happened in my last session).

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Getting constant 40fps on 4K with everything max and AA on FXAA. 120fps on 1080p. Performance is not an issue at all.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Had the chance to compare my performance with a guy running exactly the same hardware as me with the only difference being my i5 2500K versus his i7 2600K. Everything else identical, CPU both at 4.3GHz.

Maxed out, SMAA, 1440p, with Vsync turned on, my drops during explosions and chaos were significantly more pronounced than his. Even up close to things exploding his still maintained a 50 - 60fps standard. Mine definitely dropped more than that.

I guess those extra threads really go a long way in a game full of explosions and physics. He was parachuting in using the multi-rocket launcher in the giant satellite dish on the first island, watching it crumble and explode without a drop below 60fps.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I can also confirm that my i7 buddy gets much less open world streaming stuttering than I do on my i5. It's still not perfect, but even at the same clocks with the same hardware (GPU + RAM, latencies included), the extra threads on the i7 appear to really help the overall game performance during streaming and especially explosions over simply four i5 cores.

Hatty

Runs fine for me at 1440p with things on medium/high, except when rather large explosions happen, then it drops to 30fps for a second or two.
I have a 980ti, 16gb of RAM, and a i5 4690k if that's useful info

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member
General consensus seems to be i7 = best performance due to heavy physics calculations, more threads and cores are really helping out here. I5 isn't going to cut it this game, havok engine is reaping hell on everyone's CPUs.

3770kOC/670FTW OC 4gb

5960xOC/980SC OC

5960xOC/980ti kingpin SLI OC

Runs well on all of these rigs 1080p on all of them and 1440p on the 980/980ti rigs. (I don't use, motion blur or vsync because I don't like how it looks and because I'd rather have screen tear)

Gotta ask though anyone else notice flickering especially during cut scenes like on characters,

i5 2500k @ 4.5
980ti @ 1400 mhz
16 gb ram
Windows 10

2560x1440
V-sync off
Every other setting at max

Just played the first few missions up to unlocking rebel drops and then did some additional random destruction. The fps never dropped below 60 except for that mission that requires you blow up a big concrete bridge. The fps dropped to about low 50s there when I glided over it just as it exploded/collapsed. The rest of the time, gameplay runs anywhere between 60s to 80s.

I couldn't get MSI Afterburner's OSD to show up so I just ran Fraps the whole time.

This online shit is useless. I wish I could get those dumb updates off the screen without having to remove other parts of the HUD. I don't care if some random Steam user beat me at some random thing.

i5 6600k
980ti
16gb

Running maxed out,no frame rate drops,but boy is it glitchy in places.The number of times I've disappeared beneath the surface now is silly.

gunnerbomb

Neo Member
Well I just played the opening sequence that was analysed by Digital Foundry and NXGamer for the console versions recently for my PC setup which is:

-i5 3570k @4.0ghz
-980TI 6GB
-16GB RAM

I don't think the framerate ever dropped below 60 fps @1440p on max settings which I was pleasantly glad given the major issues with the console versions. However I did notice the VRAM usage was quite high at over 4GB VRAM being used which might be a possible reason for the pc issues perhaps. It'll be interesting to see what the Nvidia drivers offer for performance improvements.

Lagamorph

Kinda worried about my i5-4690k with all this CPU talk, especially with it still being stock.
Planning on running at 1920x1080 with a GTX 970.

Hopefully by the time I get to play this weekend there'll be a driver update at least to stabilise things a bit. Sounds like using FXAA instead of SMAA and turning off the online is the best way to go at the moment.

Kinda worried about my i5-4690k with all this CPU talk, especially with it still being stock.
Planning on running at 1920x1080 with a GTX 970.

Hopefully by the time I get to play this weekend there'll be a driver update at least to stabilise things a bit. Sounds like using FXAA instead of SMAA and turning off the online is the best way to go at the moment.

My specs:

MSI GTX 970 (overclocked)
i5 4590
16GB RAM

Using SSAA, motion blur off with all else maxed except for shadows and LOD.

I get 60fps 90% of the time, with a few inexplicable drops here and there, and when there are a lot of explosions. I've had no issues with the in game VSYNC.

I may try to fiddle with the settings a bit more to get a solid 60fps. Some on here have suggested running Steam in offline mode to smooth things out even further, haven't tried that yet though.

Overall, it runs much better than I thought it would!

ISee

From Pcgameshardware.de

pcgameshardware.de said:
Overall, the game scales well with existing processor cores, without bringing something new to the table. The minimum requirement of a speedy quad-core processor seems to to be exaggerated, Just Cause 3 can be played properly with a Core i3 (4000 series Haswell series) with enabled Hyperthreading, even at 2.5 GHz clock speed 62 fps are possible on average (real core i3-4xxx chips generally run with more than 3 GHz) .
Missing Hyperthreading, for example on the Pentium Anniversary, the FPS drop off significantly and hit below the minimum value of the sub- critical 40 fps range . This however can be counteracted by using a higher core clock (4 GHz) which brings everything back to 'green' areas, even on 2 cores without Hyperthreading.

(Quick translation, not 100% accurate)

The differences between i5s and i7s doesn't seem to be that big.

Performance isn't spectacular for me (i5 3570k and a 2GB 670), but I'm not seeing the stuttering that some of you guys are. Well, at least not in gameplay; whenever I unlock a new upgrade the little video window stutters like crazy.

I'm playing at 1920x1200, with the game kinda sorta locked at 30 using the in-game V-Sync. Bizarrely, no outside programs seem to work with the game. The RTSS overlay shows up for a moment as the game boots up but then disappears, and I can't even make the Steam Overlay come up. And it's a pain to keep restarting the game because of that unskippable intro of Rico on the beach; who thought that would be a good idea?

Still, I'm getting a fairly solid 30 on medium/high settings with some drops when I'm really in explosion hell, load times are perfectly fine on my SSD. Hopefully a couple of patches and driver updates will smooth out the kinks. So far the game seems like exactly the sequel to Just Cause 2 I'd been hoping for.

EatChildren

The differences between i5s and i7s doesn't seem to be that big.

It's entirely possible that the performance issues I was having, by comparison, were due to running a routinely updated press build versus the launch build.

Rich!

Just got my game up and running, played the first mission

runs beautifully, barely any framedrops.

gtx970, 16gb RAM, i7-3770 @4.2ghz.

My £15 was well spent. I'll be having fun with this game later. J2C is one of my favourite games of all time, just for fucking around and blowing shit up.

teokrazia

i5 2500K@4.4 GHz
970 OC
8 GB RAM
Win 7

1080p, Everything Maxed, No V-Sync
ATM I've got 70 FPS circa of average, pretty smooth.

FXAA, SMAA, SMAA_T2X whatever I choose, IQ is awful, BTW.

Riky

$MSFT
1OCQ7kQ.jpg

I've installed the new AMD drivers and reset and still getting this :( Tried every LOD and texture option. Funny thing is everything else is at high settings and moving like a dream, just these triangles everywhere :(

Yep, R9270 on Crimson Driver and that's what I'm getting.

Kezen

Banned
The "Just Cause 3" optimized driver is locked behind Geforce Experience I see.

Truly unnecessary on Nvidia's part.

EatChildren

I love my 980 Ti and Andy's amazing guides, but seriously fuck Nvidia.

ISee

I love my 980 Ti and Andy's amazing guides, but seriously fuck Nvidia.

They announced this 2 months ago, but yes I agree. I do not like it either. What's even worse: Apparently you need to register to be able to download drivers.

Nvidia says that a "mid-to-high 90 percent" of its users already use GeForce experience to download drivers with a single click. Still, the new login requirements are likely to be seen as an unnecessary burden to many users, especially those concerned about their privacy and handing out their personal information.

source

Kezen

Banned
Are you sure? I can only see they are not available yet. Manuel said "tomorrow" 15 hours ago.

So it begins.

It finally happened I guess...sigh.

Hopefully the backlash is strong enough for Nvidia to reconsider.

I don't need yet another program running in the background and certainly not one which brings me zero benefit with the possible exception of shadowplay, very nice recording software it has to be said.

Maybe Guru3d will have the driver.

Isn't Geforce Experience free to download?
It is for now, so what ?

Top Bottom