• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 PC performance thread

c0Zm1c

There must be an alternative way of getting hold of the drivers. Geforce Experience saves the download to your drive so maybe it will find it's way onto sites like Guru3D, unless they've also changed that?

Caayn

The "Just Cause 3" optimized driver is locked behind Geforce Experience I see.

Truly unnecessary on Nvidia's part.
Sad event.

Time to download drivers from other sources. I refuse to register and install bloatware to be able to download drivers.
You mean there are people with nVidia cards who don't use Geforce experience? It doesn't make sense, Geforce experience is free
TInfoilhatmode: Next step, you'll only be able to download drivers for the GPU that you registered. Forcing users to buy their cards news instead of used.

Woo-Fu

Banned
4690+660. Playable, some serious stutter at the end of a mission with that smaller video in the middle. Evidently it is doing a save game at that point. The game itself is on an SSD but my saves directory isn't, guess I need to move that.

Froz3n

It's not surprising that in an age of 8-core consoles we're seeing better multithreading - it's necessary for proper performance on all platforms now, even crappy ports should have good scaling due to programming on consoles. Glad to see i7 purchases paying off, as after Crysis 3 it became obvious that hyperthreading makes a huge difference. No one should say that there's no benefit to i7s anymore in comparison to i5s when making purchase recommendations.

In other areas, has anyone found a working custom crossfire profile for JC3?

ISee

It's not surprising that in an age of 8-core consoles we're seeing better multithreading - it's necessary for proper performance on all platforms now, even crappy ports should have good scaling due to programming on consoles. Glad to see i7 purchases paying off, as after Crysis 3 it became obvious that hyperthreading makes a huge difference. No one should say that there's no benefit to i7s anymore in comparison to i5s when making purchase recommendations.

In other areas, has anyone found a working custom crossfire profile for JC3?

Sorry, what? Huge differences because of HTT is as exaggerated as no benefits at all. It's there but please stay on the ground.
And apparently an i3 can outperform "8" core console CPUs (more like 6-7 I guess). So I am not so sure about multi core optimizations right now.

No way to set this to borderless windowed? My TV has some really annoying overscan problem on some games since the crimson driver and sadly this is one of them and want to see if borderless windowed fixes it :(

UrbanRats

Sad event.

Time to download drivers from other sources. I refuse to register and install bloatware to be able to download drivers.
TInfoilhatmode: Next step, you'll only be able to download drivers for the GPU that you registered. Forcing users to buy their cards news instead of used.

Having to pirate drivers? What a time to be alive.

I'll try to use this goddan GF Experience.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, seems like there is no smooth way to play JC3 yet. My PC won't run it well based on what I'm seeing here and console versions sound poor. :-/

Durante

Hmm, seems like there is no smooth way to play JC3 yet. My PC won't run it well based on what I'm seeing here and console versions sound poor. :-/
Your PC will certainly run it well on console settings.

Of course, your standards for "well" are for some reason much higher on PC than what you call "well" on consoles :p

You sure you can't turn off overscan? What TV is it?

Yeah, the only settings I can change are typical brightness, contrast and aspect ratio (16.9 or 4.3) etc

It's some cheap unbranded thing I got for about £170 back in 2010 as a managers special at blockbusters so I'm not surprised :p

UrbanRats

How the fuck do you download BETA drivers from GF Exp? i checked the "beta drivers" checkbox in the preferences, but it still won't install anything past 359.00.

Are the Beta drivers even out yet?

AndyBNV

Nvidia
The "Just Cause 3" optimized driver is locked behind Geforce Experience I see.

Truly unnecessary on Nvidia's part.

This is incorrect. The driver will be available from the website and GeForce Experience when released later today.

Blizzard

Banned
How the fuck do you download BETA drivers from GF Exp? i checked the "beta drivers" checkbox in the preferences, but it still won't install anything past 359.00.

Are the Beta drivers even out yet?
Some people suggested they required logging in. I don't see any beta drivers either, and I'm not logged in.

I'm hoping they're just not out yet, since it's very early in the morning U.S. time.

This is incorrect. The driver will be available from the website and GeForce Experience when released later today.
But someone's still up this early! Thanks Andy, and great to hear GeForce Experience isn't required.

dark10x

Your PC will certainly run it well on console settings.

Of course, your standards for "well" are for some reason much higher on PC than what you call "well" on consoles :p
That used to be true, but as long as I can achieve perfect frame pacing at 30fps, then I'm all set (that was previously my main complaint). Over the past couple of years, though, this hasn't been much of an issue outside of select games.

Durante

That used to be true, but as long as I can achieve perfect frame pacing at 30fps, then I'm all set (that was previously my main complaint). Over the past couple of years, though, this hasn't been much of an issue outside of select games.
But why do you think you can't reach a solid 30 on JC3? All the benchmarks I've seen would seem to indicate you'd be fine.

Hey guys, can't get the game to work at all.

It'll boot up fine in windowed mode, but after it signs into Square Enix online, it just goes black. I still hear my mouse flicking through menus and sound, etc, but nothing.

If I try to go fullscreen it crashes.

GTX 980
i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz
32gb ddr4 RAM

Froz3n

The engine is incompatible with all multi-GPU solutions, so no SLI support at this time.

Can this be patched or are we just screwed? It seems sad that so many games aren't capable anymore, like Fallout 4, for example. JC2 had SLI and Crossfire support as far as I know.

As I posted before, my i5 4590/MSI GTX 970 (OC)/16GB RAM rig plays it at 60fps 90% of the time. I could probably get it to a locked 60 if I played with some of the settings a bit more.

The game runs great, I'm sure the issues with the consoles will be patched., and hopefully for PC as well

dark10x

But why do you think you can't reach a solid 30 on JC3? All the benchmarks I've seen would seem to indicate you'd be fine.
As long as proper frame pacing can be achieved, I'll be happy (and no stuttering). While hardly comparable, I've found it impossible to achieve that in Fallout 4 and I cannot get a steady 60fps in that game without severe compromises and, even then, it's still not perfect. At 30fps, though, it judders terribly no matter what I try. Still annoyed about that. I've pretty much had to shelve the game for the moment due to performance problems.

We'll see how it goes.

Either way, I'm busy working on Rainbow Six which runs rather well on my PC and sports some very nice AA options.

I clicked play in steam and it's now been 5 minutes and the game still hasn't loaded up (I see it in task manager though) Steam also says the game is running

Is it just my hard drive being slow?

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Can this be patched or are we just screwed? It seems sad that so many games aren't capable anymore, like Fallout 4, for example. JC2 had SLI and Crossfire support as far as I know.

I don't know. Fallout 4 is being fixed, for example. Don't have a date, but SLI support is in the works.

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Just_Cause_3_-test-jc3_1920.jpg

A freaking gimped 950 doing (almost) better than a 680/770... unbelievable. Look at that 280x. I seriously hope it will get fixed with a driver update.

Stitch

Gold Member
So that video with Rico at the Beach, what is going on there? It can't be skipped so I thought the game would be loading but the HDD doesn't seem to do anything.

Well benchmarks have been done without the driver optimized for the game.

Yup, the new drivers should be out today. Let's see if it fixes that. I refuse to believe a 768 cuda cores 128 bit card can do better than 1536/256 bit even with all the optimizations in the world.

Kezen

Banned
Yup, the new drivers should be out today. Let's see if it fixes that. I refuse to believe a 768 cuda cores 128 bit card can do better than 1536/256 bit even with all the optimizations in the world.

Maxwell is a much more efficient arch than Kepler, so you should not be surprised at all.

I don't get why each major game needs a driver. why does the driver need changing for a game, is that AMD/Nvidia doing optimisation work the developer should do? Does a new driver contain all the tweaks for all the old games that prompted drivers? Ugh So confusing.

Maxwell is a much more efficient arch than Kepler, so you should not be surprised at all.

No doubt about that but it's just too big of a difference in my eyes. The 770 should be able to do better just like in every other game released this year.

low-G

I can tell that this game is unoptimized.

While my PC can do 1080p 60fps maxed out most of the time, the game will drop frames in nearby explosions AND at times the system really shouldn't be taxed at all, such as during a mediocre cutscene with some characters.

At least I'm able to enjoy it but it seems already I am on the cusp of not being able to brute force poorly optimized games.

riflen

I don't get why each major game needs a driver. why does the driver need changing for a game, is that AMD/Nvidia doing optimisation work the developer should do? Does a new driver contain all the tweaks for all the old games that prompted drivers? Ugh So confusing.

These are hugely complex systems and software we're using. A GPU is essentially a completely programmable processing engine and these games have millions of lines of code. Developers can use an infinite number of methods to achieve their end result.

Sometimes, the method they use isn't the optimal one for a given GPU. As games (especially these large ones that are created over a period of years) are made to a time and monetary budget, there is only so much tweaking and correcting that can be done by the developer.

Rather than leave performance on the table, often the GPU vendor will adjust the behaviour of the game through driver changes, to get better performance or visual results for their GPUs. Essentially a slightly different path is taken for JC3.exe than for FO4.exe. This is the reality of such a complex and flexible platform.
Yes, new drivers contain the optimisations for previously released games, up to a point. At some stage, support for a game is probably dropped, but at that point it's likely that the OS you're now using won't run the game anyway.

Top Bottom