• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 PC performance thread

Anyone know how to disable the intro movie with Rico sitting on the beach? It was cute at first but has since become annoying.

It was NEVER cute. I have a very rational hate of un-skipable logos and intros, and this is the worst one in recent memory. It'd be one thing if it was masking a load to the seamless main menu, but no, it just takes FUCKING FOREVER to pan out from that DUMB. FUCKING. LOGO. Then the waiting for the explosion, the "cheers" then more waiting before it tries to connect to the server which then takes you to a loading screen.

HOLY. SHIT.

What kind of swollen asshole looks at that and says "Yep this is great!" then signs off on it. It's a technically demanding game on PC, that means I have driver level settings that need changing, bits that need testing, statistical overlays that need configuring, all of which need a fucking restart of the game leading to me spending more time in loading screens than in game.

FUCK.

OFF.

gunnerbomb

Neo Member
What kind of swollen asshole looks at that and says "Yep this is great!" then signs off on it.

Probably the same clown that thought it was a good idea to force integrate online leaderboards for a Single Player game. I don't think the public was really asking for this feature?

Probably the same clown that thought it was a good idea to force integrate online leaderboards for a Single Player game. I don't think the public was really asking for this feature?

At least you can turn the extended leaderboards off and have it only show people on your friends list. However that doesn't stop the game from telling me that three dozen people I don't care about beat my scores 16 hours ago every time I boot the game up.

Lanbeast

Sorry if I missed it but did anyone have trouble with the game saving on PC? I've played through freeing the first province three times now, the save disk icon shows up a bunch of times but there is no save file anywhere.

Ac30

I assumed it was loading in the background. Are you sure it isn't?

If it's not loading, I'd love a way to disable it.

It's not. It attempts to connect to servers after and that's it. It takes me over a minute on an SSD once the actual black loading screen comes up. The intro serves no purpose.

AHK_Hero

i7-4790K
16GB RAM
GTX 980ti
Install on SSD
(My first build ever, thank you "I need a new PC thread!")

Tried a few suggestions in the thread to improve upon my initial experience:

For anyone wanting borderless windowed mode, just add these to the Steam launch options for Just Cause 3:

Code:
/windowed /borderless

Turned off Global Ilumination (GI).

Steam is in offline mode.

Used Nvidia control panel to try and force Anistropic Filtering (AF) to x16.

1080p. Motion Blur off and V- Sync on. All other settings max.

Steady 60 fps, except when there are numerous explosions at once, which irks me a bit. I've seen it dip in to the high 40s when things get really crazy. Sigh, I love never seeing FRAPS say anything but 60. I don't know, sometimes the game looks great to me and at other times like it needed more time in the oven. The AA solutions seem especially problematic, but I've settled on SMAA as SMAA_T2X has a jarring blurring effect.

I tried to enable MFAA from the Nvidia control panel as well. I'm pretty new to the PC scene but I swear it looks slightly better, call me out if I'm crazy.

Death reload times aren't too long, I'm guessing 'cause of the SSD. I'm enjoying the game thus far, but I'm a bit disappointed in how it looks/performs.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Why is lod 10 times shitter than just cause 2.

The buildings look so 2d in further away distances. Dont remember just cause 2 having that problem

2600k @ 3.8ghz and MSI Gaming 980Ti

3440x1440, max settings with FXAA. For some reason I can't get Bandicam to show FPS but it's butter smooth.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
It was NEVER cute. I have a very rational hate of un-skipable logos and intros, and this is the worst one in recent memory. It'd be one thing if it was masking a load to the seamless main menu, but no, it just takes FUCKING FOREVER to pan out from that DUMB. FUCKING. LOGO. Then the waiting for the explosion, the "cheers" then more waiting before it tries to connect to the server which then takes you to a loading screen.

HOLY. SHIT.

What kind of swollen asshole looks at that and says "Yep this is great!" then signs off on it. It's a technically demanding game on PC, that means I have driver level settings that need changing, bits that need testing, statistical overlays that need configuring, all of which need a fucking restart of the game leading to me spending more time in loading screens than in game.

FUCK.

OFF.

I'm almost positive the game is loading behind that screen.

NBtoaster

The stutter (or for me, half second freezes) during explosions is really unacceptable. Looks like Havok Destruction joins the likes of Physx as overwrought physics models that add nothing but makes games half as playable.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
The state it was released in is still disappointing. I've yet to play more but I fully expect my game to crash at some point like many other people are reporting.

I've tried quitting and restarting to see if the initial loading time (once to get to the menu and launch the game) is still as long as sadly it is. No disk activity, strange.

This makes me feel nostalgic for a time when games did not ship with so many issues.
Yep I hear you. I stare at my HDD light and see no signs of activity. Also as I mentioned many times in this thread, the game has a pathetic FoV that makes everything moot for me anyways.

theJohann

Based on the screenshots I've seen in the PC Screenshot thread, Just Cause 3 does not look very good at all, and certainly not good enough to justify its performance issues.

30IR

Banned
A 2015 AAA game with no SLI support is abysmal. There is simply no excuse for it. Was really expecting performance similar to Mad Max but man was I in for a surprise! The game performs horrendously on one GPU at 5K (doh!). This Avalanche (of shit) Studios is a sell out like most studios.

Not only that, the game for some odd reason doesn't seem to sync saves across my rigs - I had to restart the game on my RoG Swift rig - sitting through that terrible intro.

Also, Afterburner OSD doesn't work - whenever I try to take a screenshot, I get a black screen instead.

Just Cause = Just Shit.

ISee

This is game is really a buggy mess.

1.) Soundbug. Every time the game starts I get loud static like noises on my headphones for a couple of seconds. First time they 'shocked' the shit out of me.
I was able to fix that issue by starting the game in windows 7 compatibility mode + admin.

2.) Vsync isn't working. Screen tearing all over the place. Extremely annoying, even unplayable.
Fixed by locking the framerate to 60 with RTSS and setting Vsync via drivers.

3.)No borderless window mode... This is a crime in the modern day 'n age.
Tried to fix the problem by adding /windowed /borderless to the start options. Works for some time but then the game decides randomly to switch back to fullscreen mode. For whatever reason.

4.)Annoying texture flickering from time to time.
Apparently global illumination is causing this... *sigh*

5.)Unsteady performance. I am not even sure it's CPU related. I can't even reproduce the issue. Sometimes the fps drop to 30 for one, two seconds, sometimes it doesn't.

6.) First time loading takes long, even on a ssd.

This game feels extremely rushed to me, I wouldn't recommend it.

I5 3570k @ 4.3 ghz
970 @ 1400mhz
16gb ddr3 2400
samsung 830 ssd (granted old, but I had no reason to upgrade so far)
Win 10

dr_rus

A 2015 AAA game with no SLI support is abysmal. There is simply no excuse for it. Was really expecting performance similar to Mad Max but man was I in for a surprise! The game performs horrendously on one GPU at 5K (doh!). This Avalanche (of shit) Studios is a sell out like most studios.

Not only that, the game for some odd reason doesn't seem to sync saves across my rigs - I had to restart the game on my RoG Swift rig - sitting through that terrible intro.

Also, Afterburner OSD doesn't work - whenever I try to take a screenshot, I get a black screen instead.

Just Cause = Just Shit.

Go to ProfileTemplates dir in RTSS folder and copy any GameWorks profile cfg (BatmanAK.exe.cfg for example) to JustCause3.exe.cfg. JC3 being a GW title uses the same (strange I gotta say) mix of both D3D10 and D3D11 rendereing and this freaks out the AB overlay.

This is game is really a buggy mess.

1.) Soundbug. Every time the game starts I get loud static like noises on my headphones for a couple of seconds. First time they 'shocked' the shit out of me.
I was able to fix that issue by starting the game in windows 7 compatibility mode + admin.

2.) Vsync isn't working. Screen tearing all over the place. Extremely annoying, even unplayable.
Fixed by locking the framerate to 60 with RTSS and setting Vsync via drivers.

3.)No borderless window mode... This is a crime in the modern day 'n age.
Tried to fix the problem by adding /windowed /borderless to the start options. Works for some time but then the game decides randomly to switch back to fullscreen mode. For whatever reason.

4.)Annoying texture flickering from time to time.
Apparently global illumination is causing this... *sigh*

5.)Unsteady performance. I am not even sure it's CPU related. I can't even reproduce the issue. Sometimes the fps drop to 30 for one, two seconds, sometimes it doesn't.

6.) First time loading takes long, even on a ssd.

This game feels extremely rushed to me, I wouldn't recommend it.

I5 3570k @ 4.3 ghz
970 @ 1400mhz
16gb ddr3 2400
samsung 830 ssd (granted old, but I had no reason to upgrade so far)
Win 10

Nah, it's far from a "buggy mess". All the issues you've described are really minor and have easy solutions. A couple of patches will fix all of this.

MaLDo

Based on the screenshots I've seen in the PC Screenshot thread, Just Cause 3 does not look very good at all, and certainly not good enough to justify its performance issues.

Exactly. It's pretty clear this game was too big for the B team.

A pretty sunflower repeated one hundred times in the screen can't change my opinion.

Has anyone else had the game just not load the entire ocean? Like, it's still there, you can still swim, but it's completely invisible; you just see straight through to the seafloor. That happened to me for an entire play session :p

GHG

Gold Member
I don't understand why people expect similar performance to mad max?

This game is doing so much more than mad max so why would you expect your performance to be the same?

Granted, it's not optimal at the moment and there are some visual bugs but it's far from the hyperbole being thrown about on this page.

I don't understand why people expect similar performance to mad max?

This game is doing so much more than mad max so why would you expect your performance to be the same?

Granted, it's not optimal at the moment and there are some visual bugs but it's far from the hyperbole being thrown about on this page.

If you expect a GAF thread like this to be without hyperbole, I have bad news for you.

GHG

Gold Member
If you expect a GAF thread like this to be without hyperbole, I have bad news for you.

I would like to think that people who have the ability to purchase hardware capable of playing at resolutions at 4K and beyond would have the ability to use logic and reasoning.

Apparently not...

Mechazawa

No idea how anyone can using the wingsuit for more than 5 minutes and call this game anything other than gorgeous.

Has anyone else had the game just not load the entire ocean? Like, it's still there, you can still swim, but it's completely invisible; you just see straight through to the seafloor. That happened to me for an entire play session :p

Yeah, I had this issue. I could see the seafloor for a millisecond as soon as I entered the water and then suddenly I was swimming in an ultra-deep ocean.

30IR

Banned
Go to ProfileTemplates dir in RTSS folder and copy any GameWorks profile cfg (BatmanAK.exe.cfg for example) to JustCause3.exe.cfg. JC3 being a GW title uses the same (strange I gotta say) mix of both D3D10 and D3D11 rendereing and this freaks out the AB overlay.

Thanks for that - got it working!

However, I cannot get the game to sync the saves through Steam?!?

Any idea how to fix that?

No idea how anyone can using the wingsuit for more than 5 minutes and call this game anything other than gorgeous.

While the game still refuses to work properly for me, I can't help but agree. If you " stop and admire the roses" the game's graphical faults really come through.

But the game was designed for Rico to constantly be moving and constantly be going forward and that's when it looks best, when all the hectic and chaotic action is going on.

ISee

Nah, it's far from a "buggy mess". All the issues you've described are really minor and have easy solutions. A couple of patches will fix all of this.

The new definition of a triple A game with graphical issues like not working vsync and buggy in game graphical options and sound issues: It's not a buggy mess cause a couple of patches are going to fix them. Okay then... everything is fine.

shiyrley

Banned
Just Cause 2 was very problematic for many users back in the day because of its very detailed visuals.

I don't think the case we have here is very different

Impressive looking games have steep hardware requirements, nothing new.

Only thing I'm bitter about is the flickering when GI is enabled.
wat?
Just Cause 2 ran fine on launch day on my old laptop with a Core 2 Duo P7350 at 2.0 GHz and a 512 MB 9600M GT

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
wat?
Just Cause 2 ran fine on launch day on my old laptop with a Core 2 Duo P7350 at 2.0 GHz and a 512 MB 9600M GT

1280_very_no_aa.jpg

1920_very_no_aa.jpg

Kezen

Banned
My memory did not fail me, it really was a demanding game. Like I said the first time I played the game I did not have the lamest of gear : a GTX 470 paired with a Phenom 955.
Nowhere near 60fps with max settings, I had to lower shadows, disable CUDA water (a feature I was very much looking forward to), disable the beautiful bokeh DOF and one other effect from my recollection to get something ressembling 60fps at 1080p.

And I do remember many other people unhappy with their performance on the latest hardware.

Still, I don't remember JC2 being as buggy as the third game. Pertaining to performance I have nothing to complain about on my system, and it turns out I can max the LOD without any noticeable drops.

It seems to me that JC3 runs better on a wider spectrum of hardware than JC2 did back in 2010.

I would like to think that people who have the ability to purchase hardware capable of playing at resolutions at 4K and beyond would have the ability to use logic and reasoning.

Apparently not...

I believe they have the ability to do that, but just simply chose to stay ignorant.

Stitch

Gold Member

You can't. It doesn't upload saves to the steam cloud. Something that even JC2 did...

NBtoaster

For an old laptop, you may have wanted the low-quality chart instead:
1280_low_no_aablsmv.jpg

However, it's still only 20 fps.

It ran pretty well for me around Medium settings on a 5650m.

It had a really good demo too so nobody should have been surprised if they got bad performance.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
For an old laptop, you may have wanted the low-quality chart instead:
1280_low_no_aablsmv.jpg

However, it's still only 20 fps.

He was disagreeing with the notion that it was a demanding game, so I figured max settings benchmarks were more appropriate and included the 1280x1024 results for good measure.

Blizzard

Banned
He was disagreeing with the notion that it was a demanding game, so I figured max settings benchmarks were more appropriate and included the 1280x1024 results for good measure.
They bolded this:
Just Cause 2 was very problematic for many users back in the day because of its very detailed visuals.
And replied with this:
wat?
My interpretation was, they were disagreeing with the notion that it was "very problematic" for many users. As shown in the video earlier, 40-60 fps could be reached even on a laptop with the same (or similar?) graphics card. To me that means it's not really "very problematic" since turning down the settings produces a smooth experience. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, though.

In contrast with Just Cause 3, where you have this at an even lower resolution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwXxqL07Hv8
Or this:
Seems like 2500k at the base 3.3ghz clockrate isn't enough for this game. After noticing the odd freezes I describes on the first page I monitored my CPU and GPU usage and noticed the cpu reaches 100% and then the game freezes down to 0-1 fps for like a second. So I decided to try Overclocking it a bit and just increasing it to 3.5ghz made the stutters down to 0-1 dissappear, still got sub 10 drops sometimes but it seems to be actually playable now.

Albeit a bit worried about my cpu temps since I just got the basic cooler it runs at around 80C now which should be fine right? Really need to get an aftermarket cooler.
...which was at everything low, 1280x800 resolution. That's more problematic in my view since merely lowering settings and resolution can't bring the framerate up enough.

Of course, some part of this may be due to the newer explosion physics (the dialed up until it doesn't work, dialed back down thing the developer mentioned?) and the online connectivity stuff (which is presumably why offline mode helped some people).

dr_rus

Are you online in Steam? -) Syncing saves is a Steam function so if that's not working for you then you should restart / update Steam and check if you're in online mode. Games has nothing to do with this beyond using the Steamworks API to trigger files syncing on start/exit.

The new definition of a triple A game with graphical issues like not working vsync and buggy in game graphical options and sound issues: It's not a buggy mess cause a couple of patches are going to fix them. Okay then... everything is fine.

1. Not working vsync is a pretty common thing in PC gaming. Forcing it in the driver is pretty common as well as this usually works better than the in-game option. This is less than minor.

2. What graphical options? AF? Same as with vsync forcing AF from the driver on PC is actually recommended as this usually gives you a bit better quality since games themselves tend to enable AF only on textures specified by the developers instead of enabling it on all of them. A minor issue.

3. Sound issues? You mean the looping sound while applying any changes to the settings? This is not an issue but a design decision. Valve had this in Source for years for example. Can be fixed but it's hardly a game breaking bug especially considering that you're unlikely to even run into it once you'll finish adjusting the settings.

So what else? GI flickering? Turn off GI and wait for patch/drivers which will fix this. Some say that the game even looks better with GI off. RTSS not working? Copy a GW profile for JC3. Long startup? Well, the game weighs freaking 40GBs and it's an open world game so it loads A LOT during the startup. Welcome to modern gaming. What else? SLI not working? This will happen more and more often as modern graphics engines tend to be incompatible with AFR mGPU and supporting them requires a lot of effort from the developers - specifically for these 3-5% of PC users among the 30% (generous assumption) of all gamers. Most won't bother if by omitting SLI support they can get the game to run better on consoles and other single GPU setups - which covers ~99% of the userbase.

Haha yeah I remember that I specifically decided to wait for a new h/w gen to play JC2 because it did not run that well on my 8800Ultra when it came out. Some people should really check their memories before posting.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure MFAA only works in conjunction with MSAA not SMAA.

You are right. MFAA is an MSAA improvement, it will do nothing to a game if it doesn't support or use MSAA.

GameGPU revisited JC2.

Heh, JC2 is still GPU limited even on a 980Ti.

Top Bottom