• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 PC performance thread

MaLDo

The game consumes ~13GBs of RAM. No wonder that it stutters on a machine which has only 8.

And it definitely doesn't look worse than JC2.

He said JC3 at lowest settings runs worse than JC2 at max settigs. Obviously JC2 at max settings looks better too. So he has a point that I agree with.

Kezen

Banned
This is still a far worse PC port than Arkham Knight was for me. Even with the new patch today it stutters constantly. 2GB 670, i5-3570k, 8GB of RAM and it's unplayable at 1080p, with every setting as low as it can go. It looks worse than Just Cause 2, which I can run at 60FPS all day long.

I don't know if I need to reinstall everything or what, but this shit is straight up broken and I'm sick of struggling to play it.

Are you sure you have correctly configured your game ?
Can we have a screenshot of your settings ?

This game benefits quite significantly from more threads, more ram and more VRAM.
With only 4 threads you need to be careful with the LOD settings, and don't even try to max out texture quality with only 2gb of VRAM.

If I were you I would put textures on medium and LOD and shadows on high and see if that runs better.

dr_rus

He said JC3 at lowest settings runs worse than JC2 at max settigs. Obviously JC2 at max settings looks better too. So he has a point that I agree with.

Last time I checked JC2 ran more or less on the same fps level as JC3 for me. That's obviously because JC2 uses MSAA while JC3's only option is PPAA but still, I don't see how this point is relevant.

OK, well I guess something went screwy with my settings or something, because when I played this afternoon it was no better than ever, and when I loaded it up just then it was much better. Maybe the patch reset the default graphical settings or something, and when I opened the menu this time they went back to how I had them set. Performance is still not good, but as long as I keep every setting as low as it can go (the only luxury I've allowed myself is 16xAF) it no longer stutters (much). I think I could probably lock it at a stable 30FPS now, with only occasional stuttering.

If I even think about raising any setting even to Medium it's back to stutter city, though, and JC3 on Low settings at 30FPS is definitely an uglier game than JC2 maxed out at 60FPS. I suppose I'll come back after my next GPU upgrade.

Dang I'm really bummed about GI and AA not being fixed. Oh well.

The more I read this thread the more I want to jump up to 16GB of RAM.

Kezen

Banned
Dang I'm really bummed about GI and AA not being fixed. Oh well.

The more I read this thread the more I want to jump up to 16GB of RAM.

Yeah I wonder when they are planning on doing anything about flickering. In fact have they done anything to improve performance on any platform ?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah I wonder when they are planning on doing anything about flickering. In fact have they done anything to improve performance on any platform ?

"Various LoD, lighting and animation optimisations" formed part of the first patch.

Kezen

Banned
"Various LoD, lighting and animation optimisations" formed part of the first patch.

Well it certainly did not do much in my case. I mean the game runs well enough on my system (essentially 60fps, it only drops when in the middle of an astounding number of elements blowing up), but the game appears to lack true scalability.

Those with mid-range hardware are clearly struggling.

OtisInf

Disable reshade. It's common knowledge it can cause issues because it's not officially supported by the dev.
what's common knowledge? That we reshade devs know that it doesn't work with Just Cause 3 or that the devs of games don't support reshade and thus it doesn't work? It's just an injector which executes shaders on a fullscreen 2 triangle poly by injecting itself to the framebuffer (same as steam overlay etc.)

Kezen

Banned
what's common knowledge? That we reshade devs know that it doesn't work with Just Cause 3 or that the devs of games don't support reshade and thus it doesn't work? It's just an injector which executes shaders on a fullscreen 2 triangle poly by injecting itself to the framebuffer (same as steam overlay etc.)

Reshade has been known for causing crashes, so it's recommended not to bother with it if you value stability.

Whose fault is it I don't care. I doub devs bother to QA their games with reshade running hence the bugs that can ensue.

TheBear

This is running like shit on my i5/780. Solid 60fps with everything turned up, but then has massive stuttering issues. Especially when the challenges menus pop up it turns into a mess.
The game looks gorgeous and I don't mind dips in framerate necessarily but the stuttering is really annoying.
I have 8Gb of ram, is that causing the stuttering? What should I dial down to fix it?

dr_rus

This is running like shit on my i5/780. Solid 60fps with everything turned up, but then has massive stuttering issues. Especially when the challenges menus pop up it turns into a mess.
The game looks gorgeous and I don't mind dips in framerate necessarily but the stuttering is really annoying.
I have 8Gb of ram, is that causing the stuttering? What should I dial down to fix it?

Try upgrading to 16 or even 32 GB.

w0s

I just started playing this last week i5/980ti and sure on some large explosions there are frame drop from time to time (not often) but holy shit what's up with the textures flickering because of global illumination? Surely this should be fixed by now.

c0Zm1c

I've not played in a while but on the subject of 2GB GPUs, I strongly recommend using the low setting for textures. At medium, my VRAM was capped out and stuttering became a severe issue. Low gives it more room to breath (used about 1.5GB on my 2GB 690). It doesn't look too bad either if you can put the other settings up, especially SSAO and reflections. Shadows, and even water, on high didn't seem to make much of a dent to the framerate on my system.

I just started playing this last week i5/980ti and sure on some large explosions there are frame drop from time to time (not often) but holy shit what's up with the textures flickering because of global illumination? Surely this should be fixed by now.

It's ridiculous that it isn't.

derExperte

http://steamcommunity.com/games/225540/announcements/detail/914600150802345094

Hello Everyone,

Just Cause 3’s first content pack entitled SKY FORTRESS will be available on March 8th for all holders of the AIR, LAND AND SEA Expansion Pass and will go on general sale on March 15th.

In preparation for the new AIR, LAND & SEA Expansion Pass content, the main game will also be receiving a new update on Friday March 4th that includes the following fixes:

- Reduced initial loading time and in-game loading screens by 20-50%
- Fixed several memory leaks resulting in crashes
- Reduced a number of random crashes
- Improved streaming of game world
- Some performance optimizations related to hitches and stuttering

- Implemented DLC system in preparation of the Air, Land and Sea packages

The SKY FORTRESS pack will be priced at $11.99 / €11.99 / £9.49 whilst the AIR, LAND & SEA Expansion Pass is available for $24.99 / €24.99 / £19.99. All three content packs will be available before the end of summer 2016 and released one week early to Expansion Pass holders.

b0bbyJ03

JC3 is on sale on Amazon for $15. Thinking of picking it up. How does it perform? Were the issues patched or does it still stutter?

Salsa

bought it on amazon discount

it appears damn right unplayable

2 gig gtx 680
i5 2500k at 4.4ghz

what do

help

bought it on amazon discount

it appears damn right unplayable

2 gig gtx 680
i5 2500k at 4.4ghz

what do

help

Sit and cry because there's nothing you can do, it's been broken for about 2/3 months now.

I still get juddering and huge frame drops on a 980Ti/6700k build that used to run it at 100+fps.

RulkezX

Wtf happened to this game

2500k @4.4
7970GE 3GB
8GB Ram

Was mostly fine with some stuttering at launch with decent settings.

I uninstalled to wait for fixes, installed it this morning and is a siding unplayable mess. In getting single digit frame rate on with just about everything in low or off

LostDonkey

Hey guys sorry to bump this I just got the game cheap for black Friday.

Runs nice but when I turn the camera slow all the ground textures flicker.

Anyone know what's up?

6700k@4.6
1070g1
16gb 3000mhz ddr4
Win 10 64bit

Running any res other than 1080p causes it to happen but ya know, 1080p...

ISee

Hey guys sorry to bump this I just got the game cheap for black Friday.

Runs nice but when I turn the camera slow all the ground textures flicker.

Anyone know what's up?

6700k@4.6
1070g1
16gb 3000mhz ddr4
Win 10 64bit

Running any res other than 1080p causes it to happen but ya know, 1080p...

Global Illumination bug on nvidia gpus. It's there since day one. Only fix is to disable it.

LostDonkey

Global Illumination bug on nvidia gpus. It's there since day one. Only fix is to disable it.

Tried that. Still does it. I've literally gone through every option in the menu and disabled them one by one and it's still there at anything above 1080p. So I'm wondering if I've missed something else.

I uninstalled JC3 this week since I haven't played it in over a month and that was for only like five minutes before I got bored, I'm glad I got it cheap. It's messed up that GI after almost a year still hasn't been fixed.

heringer

Wow, people weren't kidding about the performance huh? Such a shame, the game is so much fun.

Any way to at least get rid of the stuttering? Even if I lock the game to 30 fps it stutters like crazy. I even forced the game to enter in offline mode but no dice.

I'm considering asking for a refund to buy Just Cause 2, to be honest. Sadly, I already played 3 hours of the game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wow, people weren't kidding about the performance huh? Such a shame, the game is so much fun.

Any way to at least get rid of the stuttering? Even if I lock the game to 30 fps it stutters like crazy. I even forced the game to enter in offline mode but no dice.

I'm considering asking for a refund to buy Just Cause 2, to be honest. Sadly, I already played 3 hours of the game.

Judging from your post history, you have 8GB RAM. The game eats that up rather quickly, so I've no idea why it's both the minimum and recommended amount:

jc_3_ram2.jpg

dr_rus

The game actually runs fine on PC if you have the specs required.

jc3_1920_1080.png

Most complaints are from console versions owners.

heringer

The game actually runs fine on PC if you have the specs required.

jc3_1920_1080.png

Most complaints are from console versions owners.

Average fps means very little in this case. My average FPS is very high, higher than 60 fps too, it's the stuttering and sudden, very quick, frame drops that are super annoying.

dr_rus

Average fps means very little in this case. My average FPS is very high, higher than 60 fps too, it's the stuttering and sudden, very quick, frame drops that are super annoying.

You have 8GB of RAM while the game eats up to 16 so it's no wonder that it stutters for you. It's not so bad when you have the h/w:

just-cause-3-gpu-bench-1080-vh.png

heringer

You have 8GB of RAM while the game eats up to 16 so it's no wonder that it stutters for you. It's not so bad when you have the h/w:

just-cause-3-gpu-bench-1080-vh.png

Sure, I get that, but there's no reason this game should demand 16 GB of Ram. That's poor optmization.

You can brute force through any bad port.

Alienfan

So this game won't even launch for me, I've tried uninstalling, but still no luck. Has anyone else encountered similar issues?

Spook_485

Neo Member
It ran pretty nice with my 1070 G1. But I could only run it with stock clocks, otherwise Code 38 crash after few minutes. Now I got a 1080 Ti FE and got the same issue, even on stock clocks. Anyone has the same issue? I tried underclocking, I even went down to -400 on core and Mem, but it didnt fix anything.

Top Bottom