• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Finished the Unfinished Swan - Vita (spoilery post)

Jumped into The Unfinished Swan on Vita blindly. Didn't know what it was about or what the gameplay was like. I only knew there was a lot of black and white. Very pleasant surprise.

unfinished-swan.jpg

It was a fun little adventure game. For being a short game, it had a good amount of variation. At first, I thought the whole game would be in a white space where you're panting everything black just to see, and even though I thought it was a cool concept, obviously I felt like it would get tedious after a while, but as soon as the shadows came in, I started to really get on board with the game.

the-unfinished-swan_4.jpg

I feel like this game could have easily been a more complex puzzler with some of it's mechanics, but i'm glad it wasn't. It was just a relaxing game that I could breeze through in a few hours. Nothing overstayed it's welcome. There were probably slightly more vine parts than anything else, but that was my favorite mechanic to mess around with so it was all good.

RtudR.jpg

There were actually a few times where I though "This is gonna get tedious" but ended up surprising me. Like that part where the story starts talking about the King's labyrinth and that people would get lost in there for days or whatever. I was expecting a semi lengthy journey through the maze to the castle, but the game duped me hard. It looked like the castle was far away at first, then I walked through this door and walked up like one flight of stairs and somehow I was at the top of it already? Good with me.

us_labyrinth.jpg

Another part that I thought would be tedious was the dark gimmick in general. Like finding those lamps, or pushing that light ball with you. It was fine though since those parts didn't last long at all. I really liked the mechanic where you'd build your own platforms to get up to places, and it was especially cool how there were those certain parts where what you built in the canvas world would also be present in the dark forest world which would allow you to continue through that.

The balloons were a harmless little side goal. They were satisfying to get when I got them. The story was nice, although admittedly I didn't get the eye opening message of it so I'll probably end up reading more about it tonight.

The game looked awesome though. Really liked the vibe of that city.

unfinished-swan-3.png

Good game.

I liked it a lot too, even though the story was sorta depressing. What I got out of it was that the King was the Kids father and the mother died when the kid was young out of nowhere. Her thing was she loved to paint but was never able to finish them because of her death. Totally could be pulling that from my ass though. I was happy to have been able to play through it all, but I disagree the vines got annoying.

Beautiful game in many many ways. I adore it to be honest.

I wouldn't mind some sort of sequel to it, though I doubt they would ever do one. Its honestly one reason I'm excited for The Witness because elements of it remind me of Unfinished Swan.

Kerned

Banned
I love this game. It came out the same year as Journey, which is unfortunate, because I honestly thought it was the superior game, despite Journey getting all the love.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Best looking game on the Vita. I bought the PS3 version and never got around to playing it, so it was my first time with the game. I loved it. Think I played through it I two sittings, but it didn't feel too short for what it was.

If you didn't unlock the original prototype level, at least watch the original tech demo video from 2008: https://vimeo.com/1807754 (If you find every balloon, you can play this level for yourself)

Having watched this and waited years for the game it was eye-opening to see the direction they decided on (not long after this demo, in fact).

Beautiful game in many many ways. I adore it to be honest.

I wouldn't mind some sort of sequel to it, though I doubt they would ever do one. Its honestly one reason I'm excited for The Witness because elements of it remind me of Unfinished Swan.

I was already extremely excited for The Witness and this game definitely did remind me of it... Somehow

joshcam19

The year that this came out the only game that beat it out for my GOTY was Journey. Two wonderful games, both with great messages but told completely differently from one another.

Giant Sparrow's new game is What Remains of Edith Finch, from the short trailer at PSX it looks like a very different game but I'm still super excited for that game because Swan was such a terrific first effort.

Sora_N

It was OK. The white parts almost killed me with headache but everything after was not as bad. Still regretted buying it but I finished it.

kinn

Great game. Looked amazing as well. I just didnt like the other things like the vines, lights etc. Would have preferred the whole game as the black paint and all white world mechanic.

SerTapTap

Absolutely fantastic game. I fear a lot were turned off by the demo being the first level--it's a very interesting level, but it's also very motionsickness-y and not representative of the full game if you don't make it to the parts with shadows. I look forward to their next game too.

Looks so beautiful on PS4, I assume it's similar on PS3, but the image quality is quite good on PS4. Wish more games would make use of a bold but simple style like that. It does some amazing things without many textures.

GQman2121

Banned
Great game. And the only game I can think of that is actually better with the move controller. Hope to go through it again on the PS4.

Agent X

I suppose you could call it "The Finished Swan" now. :)

I played through the game on PS3 a while back (using the Move controller). I agree that it's a great game that tosses out some really cool gameplay mechanics. As the screens in the first post show, it's a beautiful game artistically as well.

thenexus6

I just finished it, went in blind not knowing anything. I loved it! Really cool, loved the ink, water and creation balls. Really nice visuals and music too.

Terry Gilliam voiced the king! Thats awesome I didn't even realise until his name appeared on the credits.

Also on chapter three
When you get attacked in the darkness the DS4 speaker makes a noise and it made me jump! Very unexpected.

Eggbok

I just finished it, went in blind not knowing anything. I loved it! Really cool, loved the ink, water and creation balls. Really nice visuals and music too.

Terry Gilliam voiced the king! Thats awesome I didn't even realise until his name appeared on the credits.

Also on chapter three
When you get attacked in the darkness the DS4 speaker makes a noise and it made me jump! Very unexpected.

Same here LOL, it freaked me out for a little bit.

Glad people enjoyed this. I thought it was great on PS3, although I haven't got around to playing it on PS4 yet. A very pretty game too, with an amazing fairytale aesthetic. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Giant Sparrow deliver with What Remains of Edith Finch.

CamHostage

Got to get this game on my Vita. I saw some video of Dead Nation Vita and was quickly deterred from getting too excited over Vita versions of games I needed to finish (but whatever, cross-buy means the Vita version was just a nice option) but if Unfinished Swan is good on the portable then I'm all in because it is an unfinished game on my PS3 right now.

Top Bottom