• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got a PS5, DualSense is pure hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBillOA

Banned
giphy.gif
Is the open mouth supposed to influence? Suddenly I hate his teeth.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Feel the same about my new iPhone. Promised best thing ever. Excellent camera. TBH not much difference from the X

But I’m sure it’s very nice the ps5

Last edited:

Ataraxia

The battery is still pretty short for such a premium controller, I think that's a bigger issue than these holier than thou past gimmicks.

I have the charging station so whenever I finish a gaming session I just set it on the cradle and when I'm ready to play again I have full battery life. For those without the accessory It isn't much more of an inconvenience to just plug it into the console after a day's worth of gaming. How much batter life do you need to consider it adequate?

waxer

I liked my brief turn with it. Works as advertised. But then I've used transducers (Clark synthesis) before on cockpit setup so knew what to expect.

I am somewhat surprised that opinion in op is so far opposite the hype. Rumble feels like a rotating weight spinning faster and slower.

Voice coils feel like the sound vibrations. If you walk on metal the clink sound is felt as a sharp bump. Sand is more like soft thudding. If you can imagine the sound you already have an idea how it will feel.

Different strokes for different folks though. What immerses one person may do the opposite to another.

I only got to use the triggers for springing but that and the comfort of new controller where more surprising to me.

I'm nobody

You are rather attention seeking and don't have a ps5 or u do have a ps5 and don't have the lead showcase to the d s 5 astrobot

Umbral

So I just got a PS5 today, I was eager to try the DualSense controller after all the great reviews it got. I didn't buy any game because I'm not willing to spend $70 on a PS3 remaster or on a PS4 game expansion, astrobot is what showcases the controller anyway. So here I am playing for about an hour and I can't understand what's with all the hype. It's like these people have never used a device with haptic feedback before. I was way more impressed with the iPhone fake home button than with this. I'm starting to believe those reviews were paid, you can't feel the water or the sand or the grass sensation like they said, you just feel rumble changing from frequent to less frequent. The triggers are ok though, not impressive in any way.
You either have nerve damage in your hands, your controller’s haptics aren’t working, or you’re a bird.

MagnesG

Banned
I have the charging station so whenever I finish a gaming session I just set it on the cradle and when I'm ready to play again I have full battery life. For those without the accessory It isn't much more of an inconvenience to just plug it into the console after a day's worth of gaming. How much batter life do you need to consider it adequate?
Tiny joycons - 20 hours
Switch Pro - 40 hours
Wii U Pro - 80 hours

What about not having to even think of having to charge it daily, and you thought that measly 10 hours is not gonna rapidly decay over time? Smaller battery means more amount of charge/discharge per controller lifetime and you bet it's gonna be like 4 hours max come year 2.

Btw I love how you started off with having a charging station. Good stuff.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
PlayStation fanboys are more fanatical than ISIS. Jesus.

Quite a fanatical comparison.

Its a joke and your response validates my point.

Well if he validated your "point" then it wasn't a joke and you actually validated his point.

giphy.gif

I think you might find that a lot of the so-called 'Xbox fans' on here are actually multi-platform gamers that simply find the hyperbole from the hardcore Sony fans irritating.

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of actual Xbox fans here as well handing out their own bit of irritating hyperbole. Such as the "joke" above.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Let's review:
-Gears Tactics
-Yakuza 7
-Free Gears 5 DLC (w 120 fps) instead of Miles Morales
-Jedi Fallen Order 60 fps on EA Play instead of Demon Souls copy/paste
-Squadrons at 120 fps

Not bad on exclusive offers imo.
Last gen.
Last gen.
Again last gen.
Last gen.
Last gen.

Sounds like a one X to me

AGRacing

I have a Series X and a PS5.

Astro and Dirt 5 sold me on this controller. I cant wait to see what GT7 does with it. Certain Xbox games feel like there is something missing now. I straight up laughed playing Tetris Effect recently and turned the "rumble to music" off... It is not in the same league. Feels cheap.

3rd parties use it - Xbox will copy it inside of a year. I say go for it.

Reminds me of the analog thumbstick situation with the N64.... and suddenly I was buying a dualshock on PS1... And then they were buying games with rumblepacks. It is awesome to see meaningful innovation in these things again.

MrBack1971

Neo Member
I think the OP must be taking the p**s. If youve played astrobot & are not impressed on what the controller is capable of thats a real shame. When he is skating on ice that was sooooo cool. Will 3rd parties take advantage? Only time will tell but its a cracking controller. I have owned every playstation & imho this is the best pad they have ever done.

The controller feels ok, just like the Dualshock, a little bigger though now that I think about it. I stopped playing and now there's a weird sensation feeling in my hands after 2 hours of the controller rumbling.

Huh? This I honestly don’t understand. Doesn’t feel like the dual shocks at all to me - and you have phantom rumbles in your hands I don’t?...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Playing Astro room in the level with rain reminded me of driving a shitty old truck with bad shocks over a dirt road, it wasn’t great at all. It’s not an enjoyable feeling. There is a ton of hyperbole surrounding it.

Overall it was pretty crappy feeling at least in the astro room.

For No Mans Sky, it barely did anything except add resistance when I tried to take off, it felt like I was destroying a plastic bottle and breaking the controller’s trigger.

Surprisngly Bug Snax has an OK amount of haptic feedback, it doesnt add much but subtle is best with this.

The guy from ACG didn’t love haptics, he said it was too busy in Spider-Man, it was meh in that game.

For a feature that adds too much weight and cost to the controller it’s a ton of hype with no pay off.

The dual sense is a heavy controller, maybe it’s the way the weight is distributed or something.

My friend with the PS5, his dual sense has annoyingly squeaky triggers too.

One good thing about the dual sense is that Sony finally made good L1 and R1 buttons. Is it worth all the dead weight and shitty battery life again? Nope!

Mmh... the green brigade unimpressed with PS5’s USP and trying to help consumers steer clear of PS5 hype... oh so unexpected :rolleyes:...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Remember how everyone gave great impressions of the Xbox One Impulse triggers with Forza and then it was pretty much all forgotten about?

Probably the same thing here but Sony fans tend to latch on to anything Sony does as the second coming of christ.

This reads a lot like sour grapes and “wishing it is going to be forgotten about quickly” with a realisation towards the end that it might not fare as bad as you suggested and covered it with a “Sony fans are sheeple” accusation just to cover all bases :LOL:.

Troglodyte

Banned
I love the feel of the controller itself. Dumped about 20 hours into Demons Souls and love it. It was kind of a turn off though when I jumped into COD MP. Gotta get used to it. I was almost tempted to turn off the haptic feedback but im gonna stick with it.

If you say so.

Would help if you actually knew the name of astro's game tho, because AB it ain't.

Yea, funny how easily obvious Xbox guys, ones who having been downplaying and spreading FUD about the PS5 for months, can so easily get their hands on a PS5. Who's launch lineup they don't like and said there was no reason to get it over the XSX.

Man, if the haters are getting PS5s, too, I expect it to hit 200M. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Caio

You are entitled to your opinion. Even if it is stupid and wrong.

The Atari 2600 joystick was a much better controller than the DualSense, it's my opinion, so it cannot be discussed...

XSX is a crappy piece of hardware, still my opinion, it cannot be discussed...

yeah yeah, opinions....

BeardGawd

Banned
This reads a lot like sour grapes and “wishing it is going to be forgotten about quickly” with a realisation towards the end that it might not fare as bad as you suggested and covered it with a “Sony fans are sheeple” accusation just to cover all bases :LOL:.

lol just an observation. A feature can be on other consoles for an entire generation but when it comes to Playstation it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Snap mode on XB1 comes to mind. PS fans are a lot like Apple fans who pretty much ignore everything Android does years before.

I think if I had read none of the hype I'd have been much more impressed but reviewers really went OTT.

It is very well used in Astro's and even the speaker in the pad (that was nothing but an annoyance last gen) was well used to trick your brain into things such as feeling wind blowing on you or the sensation of ice skating. After the way it was hyped up though I couldn't help but feel like I was subject in a land where the Emperor has just got some new clothes.

I will say it is poorly used in Miles Morales and expect it to be a mixed bag going forward in terms of how well devs use it.

Krisprolls

Banned
These head over heels takes from huge fans of anything Sony are the reason it's overhyped. Games go from an 8 to an 8.25 with it but you make it seem like it's better than when we got analog sticks. lol!

Idk about the OP but I agree with the greatly exaggerated comment and people like Krisprolls are the reason why. A revolution! :p

It's not as big as the analog sticks obviously but it's bigger than what you think.

It's acting on top of sound and visuals to improve immersion even when you forget about it. I used my ps5 with remote play from my ps4 and it was really feeling like something was broken when using the dualshock instead of the dualsense. I couldn't go back.

You'll see what it's about better when it's used by the best Sony 1st party studios. Although Astrobot is already incredible in that way.

ZywyPL

Banned
Well, PCs have no rumble tech what's so ever, and that doesn't stop billions of gamers enjoying the games, if anything, high framerates bring waaay more to the table, so yeah, while the tech is nice to have, it's nothing "groundbreaking" or "game-changing" as some of the sites, twitter jurnos, rabbid fanboys etc. try to imply, after the initial impressions and hype it'll fade away, once there are actual games to play people will shift their focus on those instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom