• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got a PS5, DualSense is pure hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP is entitled to his own opinion.

OP can you comment on the handles of the new controller and how they feel in the hands. I am curious. Some people say it’s too “sharp” or whatever.
The controller feels ok, just like the Dualshock, a little bigger though now that I think about it. I stopped playing and now there's a weird sensation feeling in my hands after 2 hours of the controller rumbling.

Tbh anyone that believed either astro playroom or the dual sense were the religious awakenings that people claim they are at this point deserve to be scammed.
I know I deserve it. But I had to buy one anyway because I sold my PS4. At least now I'll get to play God of War, Persona and Final Fantasy.

Karak

This won't be a popular option round these parts. I too was not blown away by the new controller but it is nice and certainly better than the dual shock 4.
Ya incredibly lackluster. Astro is...pretty good. But overall blown so far out of proportion I try to actually play it down a bit cause I don't want to keep seeing threads like this. Some like it for sure, but there are a LOT of people sort of wondering what the fuck the hubbub is.
I have no issues whatsoever with it being there and it seems like...somehow it can be something. Just haven't at all felt that yet.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I definitely felt different surfaces, like if you go through some tall grass it feels different in the way you'd expect.

Thought the triggers were the best part though.

I liked it a lot. You could feel the surfaces, the wind, the rain, etc. And the triggers surprised me as well. One thing I noticed is they use the dualsense speaker to complement the haptics and sell the illusion, so if you have the dualsense speaker muted it won't work as well.

I liked it a lot. You could feel the surfaces, the wind, the rain, etc. And the triggers surprised me as well. One thing I noticed is they use the dualsense speaker to complement the haptics and sell the illusion, so if you have the dualsense speaker muted it won't work as well.
Yea, same boat. I thought it was pretty damn good. I felt different surfaces. It was like I felt the sounds. It was more subtle than I thought it would be, but I appreciate that it's not so "in your face" with it. I think it could get too much if it was so pronounced. Overall I'm pretty happy with the DualSense and it's features, but I made sure to curtail my expectations even after watching all those reviews and all the gushing over it.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
One thing I noticed is they use the dualsense speaker to complement the haptics and sell the illusion, so if you have the dualsense speaker muted it won't work as well.
I thought everyone uses headsets nowadays

AC_Eivor

Neo Member
The haptics and triggers on the Dualsense are honestly the biggest selling point on the console for me. Astro's Playroom was an absolute joy to play, and the small haptic details in Sackboy have been a great touch too. I am going to have a lot of trouble deciding between getting games on PC, Xbox, or PS5 this gen.

DavidGzz

You're going to see many threads like this over the years. I was hyped, I thought it was going to be the big differentiator of this gen. The influencer hype was out of control and for many, it did more harm than good. It's good to see a realistic take from one at least(Karak). It is still much better than the DS4 overall. Still has terrible battery life though.

Esca

I really like it but it is hit or miss on games. In demon souls when I kicked a piece of lumber while running it felt like I kicked a board, it just added a lot. In spiderman mm it felt more like regular rumble and didn't care for it. I think it's a great feature if used correctly

dano1

A Sheep
I just wanna warn people that haven't gotten a PS5 and that are planning to thinking the controller will blow them away, it won't. It's just a controller, the Wii mote was revolutionary, not this, and even then I didn't like the Wii mote.

Well. I think the controller is cool as hell. And so do most reviewers.
It really adds to the enjoyment to the games it’s used in!

Not sure I you thought it was going to take you to bed or something...

Eternal21

I personally wasn't floored by rumble either, but did enjoy the variable trigger pressure. One gameplay element in particular impressed me. It was the part where you were climbing up with astro bot in a monkey suit, and had to grab stones with just the right pressure, or they would crumble. I can see something like this implemented to add variety to the old and tired lockpicking mechanic.

reinking

Gold Member
I was not impressed with it until I got the level in Astros Playroom with the rain. That one level changed my mind. Put me in the crowd that likes it when it is used correctly. Enough so that it can make me choose a third-party title for the PS5 over XBSX. Not offended by those that do not like it. Fortunately they can turn it off.

Trogdor1123

My wife could tell how much of a step up it was when the beginning of demon souls was happening and he was walking through the water. It was a big difference.

Jesb

Don’t have a ps5 but Sony is trying to always make something new in their controller. Xbox controller stays basically the same. I’m amazed there still is no trackpad on the Xbox controller.

Last edited:
So its just rumble triggers that Xbox has had since the start of last gen?

So is it just a rip off of the xbox impulse triggers we’ve had since 2013? Or is it like the gamecube shoulder buttons but can stop at different levels?

Looks like it really is rumble triggers. Nice they threw some buzzwords on it.

Because it’s a rumble trigger, show me the resistance, or the “feedback” it’s not there. It’s a motor in the trigger same as the XB1.

Quite the pattern eh?

Last edited:

Iorv3th

I mean it might help if you get some games to play that use it? Plus it feels great in the hands and has awesome battery life.

jaysius

Banned
I wish I could use my Xbox elite controller instead, to be honest.
Haptic feedback was amazing for like 5 minutes.

Elite Series 1 and 2 works perfectly on it with the Brook One X adapter, but only as a Dual Shock 4, so only for PS4 games at the moment, the company is great at making the attachment work with every system though, so in time it might work, it needs to be series 1 because it fits in the battery compartment and works as a battery too, everything is there too, gyro(which is on the unit itself)and touchpad emulation.

I think Brook will figure it out, it works on iPad android PS4 switch ps5(dualshock4 mode).

Its amazing tech, better battery life than a dual shock 4 and no input lag, I played all of Ghost of Tsushima with it and never lost a standoff.

EDIT: found out they just released a new version for SERIES 2 ELITES.

Last edited:
You're going to see many threads like this over the years. I was hyped, I thought it was going to be the big differentiator of this gen. The influencer hype was out of control and for many, it did more harm than good. It's good to see a realistic take from one at least(Karak). It is still much better than the DS4 overall. Still has terrible battery life though.

I just can't understand why the hype, this is the same as HD Rumble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom