• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got a used DS...where to start?

kagamin

Dragon Quest V is a great RPG on the go, also if you don't mine more hardcore CRPG inspired games you might want to pick up Etrian Odyssey 3 and The Dark Spire. Advance Wars Dual Strike is the final game in the original trilogy of the strategy game series. Advance Wars Days of Ruin is also good but a little more basic in gameplay but grittier in story and has no direct relation to the original trilogy in terms of story.

MickeyPhree

Dragon Quest V is a great RPG on the go, also if you don't mine more hardcore CRPG inspired games you might want to pick up Etrian Odyssey 3 and The Dark Spire. Advance Wars Dual Strike is the final game in the original trilogy of the strategy game series. Advance Wars Days of Ruin is also good but a little more basic in gameplay but grittier in story and has no direct relation to the original trilogy in terms of story.

Honestly I've never played a DQ game before. If I like the older final fantasy games(pre Psx) would I probably enjoy it?

MickeyPhree

OP I'm jealous of you.

It's just the best handheld system of all time

I've owned a vita and a Psp in the past, but this is my first Nintendo handheld since getting the original gameboy back in 89. I'm not a big Nintendo guy anymore, but this system has always intrigued me.

jeremy1456

Honestly I've never played a DQ game before. If I like the older final fantasy games(pre Psx) would I probably enjoy it?

Not necessarily. They're all incredible games, but if you're playing for character driven stories with a ton of melodrama you will be disappointed.

maxcriden

I would say really try someone's copy of SM 64 DS before buying it, if you can. I am a big fan of the original and found that port terribly clunky to control and frustratingly so. I'd check out some reviews online as well because I think a lot of reviewers felt similarly.

Seconding huge recommendations for:

Mario and Luigi games, in order, starting with the GBA game (assuming you have a DS with a GBA port)
Layton games, in order
Soul Bubbles
Ghost Trick!!!
NSMB
Kirby Canvas Curse, Squeak Squad and Mass Attack

Ceadeus

You absolutly want to play thé castlevania games.

They are exclusive for the nds so make sure you play them please, you can not ignore those games.

Then you should go to metacritic and see high score for the nds and start buying,theres à LOT of gems on this console.

kagamin

You could probably ask someone for a better comparison than me tbh, I don't know much about FF games (I've played a lot of FF spinoffs ironically), and I've only made it to the last area in FF3.

jeremy1456

Animal Crossing: Wild World is a solid choice. The franchise truly shines on the handheld.

All of the Rune Factory games are amazing. Some of the Harvest Moon games are really good too.

If you're gonna play one Dragon Quest game then I suggest V (it's not my favorite, but you said you're fond of early FF games and that comes closest)

I'm just suggesting things that I haven't seen yet suggested here, but I just lightly browsed.

jeremy1456

You could probably ask someone for a better comparison than me tbh, I don't know much about FF games (I've played a lot of FF spinoffs ironically), and I've only made it to the last area in FF3.

Dragon Quest is less story based than Final Fantasy. The DS remakes aren't very graphically intensive.

Dragon Quest is a more rewarding series in general to me than FF. Spell options are more significant here. The difficulty is higher, and while you could get by just grinding exploring your options is extremely rewarding.

Where the DQ series excels is in its world building, and battle system. The dungeon designs are a step above most.

What do you guys think of Rocket Slime? I remember playing it a lot when I was younger and loving it. So idk if I'm blinded by nostalgia or something but that was a serious underrated gem for me.

Boney

Banned
Very funny ha. Anyways I picked up these three to start.

QxTn8cq.jpg

How's the Mario 64 port? And is phantom hour glass better than spirit tracks? I think lttp is the best Zelda by far if that helps any.
Mario 64 port is fine. Most people renounce the dpad controls, but i think while obviously not the best method, it's not a bad way to control because of how fluid Mario 64 controls, running in circles, turning and everything works fine really. Has some added content but I think it's trash. Splitting Mario into Mario, luigi wario is terrible and the new stars are mediocre. Still it's Mario 64, it runs great, and plays great.

In terms of DS Zelda's, some people like PH better while others like ST better. ST is a lot harder and has some interesting gimmicks but ultimately I hated the Phantom/Zelda gimmick which slowed the pace of the game down a lot. PH is relatively by the numbers with the exception of the touch controls which work remarkably well and are a nice alternate take to traditional controls. Both of them are on the lower end of the Zelda spectrum for me even though I prefer the top down ones by far, but they're still great games.

I'll let you in a lil secret. Nintendo's traditional franchises had some of their worst titles on DS. Mario, Zelda, Metroid and Starfox for example are some of the worst in their series, ranging from great to mediocre. But Nintendo's less popular or even their new franchises on DS had outstanding releases along with third party titles which are fantastic.

You're gonna get swamped with recommendations but I'll recommend three titles.
First Advance Wars Days of Ruin; it's a fantastic turn based military strategy game. 4th one to come to the west and my favourite in the series. One of my favourite Nintendo franchises as well. Tons of content and hours to sink, very deep gameplay and super satisfying. You need to capture properties to provide funds to build your army consisting of tanks and bombers and stuff, there's a lesser emphasis on CO's which have special abilities regarding who you are using (which is like the heart of the series) but they balanced it out great here. Don't sleep on this game.

Second, Etrian Oddysey III. Don't let the cutesy art style fool you, this game is absolutely brutal. It's a classic old school dungeon crawling rpg updated with modern sensibilities. You build a party of explorers consisting of classic fantasy jobs and you venture deep into the labyrinth. You need to pay attention or you'll end up dead pretty fast because the game doesn't pull any punches. Enemies hit hard and your resources are relatively thin, you'll keep progressing via smart use of your characters abilities (and how you build them via the skill tree) and knowledge and weaknesses from enemies. Light on story but it's super engrossing. The big twist for the franchise is that you chart the map of the dungeon floors on your own with the touch screen. It's really easy to do as it tracks your position on this grid while your draw the walls, short cuts or another interesting things you need to keep track on, it's not a hassle at all because how easy it is and you really value your maps and how you build the.

Last, Rhythm Heaven is a fantastic new ip from Nintendo (there is an equally fantastic GBA prequel but it's japan only). It's a rhythm game but it's based on completing short "minigames" with completely different graphics and style, but tapping and swiping along the different instructions they keep giving you. Each scenario is incredibly unique and nothing alike the past ones, it's weird, funny, catchy and a joy to play and perfect.

Hope you enjoy it, it's a fantastic handheld. And if you got a ds lite, be sure to chase after the GBA library as well. It's incredible and it's 2d action, adventure and rpg Heaven.

Glory Days 2.
Ah, this one is fantastic. Came out of nowhere, but it's great. Whatever happened to the 3ds sequel?

dorkkaos

I would also like to suggest Final Fantasy Tactics A2. The story might not be that great, but the gameplay is great! Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor is pretty good too.

I always hear from people how amazing elite beat agents is. Also the mario 64 port is fine if you've never played it before, it has more stars and better graphics and more playable characters n stuff, but if you are used to analog control and the dive move from the original you wont be able to deal. (I think they took the dive out)
Im just happy i get to play as yoshi

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I would suggest games that are uniquely Nintendo DS titles: Kirby Canvas Curse, Pac-Pix and Elite Beat Agents. Some of my favorite games for the DS.

Also, Mario Kart DS is one of the best in the series, Infinite Space is a deep and very fun space ship RPG, and Final Fantasy 3 is a great remake. All of those are good DS pickups, too.

It's really easy to buy too many games for the DS and then be overwhelmed with choice and end up just being bored with all. I recommend getting new super Mario bros, and 2 other games of your choice and leave it at that until you get bored of those three. I believe this will actually increase your enjoyment vs purchasing a large stack of games all at once and not knowing which to play first.

Top Bottom