• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got around to beating Prince of Persia

Alias03

WOW! what a game. I love the whole style of that game and its glossy look. I've heard the only thing people didn't like was the combat but I found it to be just fine. Am now very interested in POP2 however I don’t know if I like the new directions they are taking it. The gothic look works for games like DMC but POP I thought had a real elegance about it overall "light hearted" experience. As I was playing I got that old feeling of playing the original Tomb Raider a game I happen to love (first one that is) For anyone who hasn’t gotten around to playing it YOU SHOULD! trust me you wont be disappointed

SilentHill said:
WOW! what a game. I love the whole style of that game and its glossy look. I've heard the only thing people didn't like was the combat but I found it to be just fine. Am now very interested in POP2 however I don’t know if I like the new directions they are taking it. The gothic look works for games like DMC but POP I thought had a real elegance about it overall "light hearted" experience. As I was playing I got that old feeling of playing the original Tomb Raider a game I happen to love (first one that is) For anyone who hasn’t gotten around to playing it YOU SHOULD! trust me you wont be disappointed

yeah I am 53% done! Great game :D

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I actually though the game was pretty average, but that's probably because I felt disappointed after all the hype and recognition the game got (for the record, I finally played this game about a month ago). Didn't like combat, but the platofrming was pretty sweet. My favorite part was climbing up that tower towards the end of the game. Felt very ICO-ish. The game was way too easy though. I felt like the game was spoiling itself with the senses crap. What's the point of showing us how to solve a puzzle before getting to it?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
BTW, those worried about the lack of platforming should take a look at the long E3 demonstration. I had actually skipped it over until very recently, and was suprised to see a lot of platforming segments that were very similar to the original game.

Alias03

Deepthroat said:
If I like Eternal Darkness will I enjoy this game? I love the arabian/persian atmosphere in ED.

Well I love ED too but they really have no similarities at all BUT it would never hurt to try. At most places its 19.99 or you could even rent it if your hard up for cash.

Wario64 said:
I actually though the game was pretty average, but that's probably because I felt disappointed after all the hype and recognition the game got (for the record, I finally played this game about a month ago). Didn't like combat, but the platofrming was pretty sweet. My favorite part was climbing up that tower towards the end of the game. Felt very ICO-ish. The game was way too easy though. I felt like the game was spoiling itself with the senses crap. What's the point of showing us how to solve a puzzle before getting to it?

I respect your opinion and I too thought towards the end with the tower felt like ICO another breathtaking game.

Boogie9IGN

The game was real fun, apart from that one pain-in-the-ass fight on the elevator. It's REALLY easy the second time around.

My game fucked up at 67%, so I restarted and it took me about 1/3 of the original time to get up to where I was.

The end boss fight/ending were pretty gay, but I just love that Magic Cavern and its music..so beautiful

EDIT: The Prison music also kicked ass, thank gawd I have my soundtrack nearby

Alias03

dark10x said:
BTW, those worried about the lack of platforming should take a look at the long E3 demonstration. I had actually skipped it over until very recently, and was suprised to see a lot of platforming segments that were very similar to the original game.

good call dark10x ill have to check that out thanks

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Xbox version looks prettier, and probably loads faster, and has PoP2 classic emulated on it as well as PoP1 classic. Emulation is so g-dawful that it makes little difference anyway. Xbox version may also have some kind of interviews or art demonstration that the PS2 version lacks, I don't remember.

Edit - Fantastic game with only a few flaws. Pity they don't look to be fixed in PoP2, though I still have hope that too will be a fantastic game (flaws and all...)

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Mejilan said:
Xbox version looks prettier, and probably loads faster, and has PoP2 classic emulated on it as well as PoP1 classic. Emulation is so g-dawful that it makes little difference anyway. Xbox version may also have some kind of interviews or art demonstration that the PS2 version lacks, I don't remember.

Edit - Fantastic game with only a few flaws. Pity they don't look to be fixed in PoP2, though I still have hope that too will be a fantastic game (flaws and all...)

i heard that while the xbox version may have a bit more polygons per character, the cube version has better textures.. is this true? i cant decide which one to buy.

IJoel

I absolutely loved the game, but was very disappointed in how short it was and how little replay value it had. Though the thing it has going for it is that it's plain fun to play it, so playing it multiple times isn't out of the question.

The shortness never bothered me because it was like they cut out any boring crap like backtracking, wandering around endlessly leveling up etc.

I remember saying this at the time, but I came away from playing an hour of PoP feeling like I done a 4 or 5 hour session.

Alias03

quadriplegicjon said:
i heard that while the xbox version may have a bit more polygons per character, the cube version has better textures.. is this true? i cant decide which one to buy.

its is true Xbox has more polygons (ex. hands are five digits) BUT the GCN has a little cleaner textures. Well now that I think about it not really cleaner but more vibrant colors to show off the detail would be a more accurate statement. However the xbox has better partial effects and lighting but to tell you the truth this game looks gorgeous on whatever platform you play it on. As mentioned before the Xbox has the original POP and POP2 plus making of bonus stuff. Where as the GCN has POP and Making of and something with the GBA version to unlock more levels. (in the GBA one not GCN) PS2 just got POP no making of bonus material.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
IGN seems to think that the Cube version looks better overall, even though some models in the Xbox version feature more geometry, though not all of them. I've played both versions, but not on the same TV, so I can't judge. Both versions do look better than the PS2 game, however, and both have more features than the PS2 game as well. Base your purchase on your preferred system/controller, imho.

IIRC, both the Xbox and Cube versions have PoP1 emulated and the same interviews/art videos (videos which the PS2 version lacks, I think). Xbox also has PoP2 emulated, but the emulation is so shitty for both games (any any version) that it's largely irrelevant.

Edit - Yes, the GCN game also has three switchboxes you can find and trigger that when synched with the GBA game, open up a couple of new levels in the GBA game. Also, by synching with the GBA game, you can quickly and easily replenish your life in the GCN game.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I beat it too today (PS2 version)... the ICO style of the game was excellent... I loved viewing the whole desert expanse, and other parts of the castle... The sunset at the end was amazing looking. But of course, the combat really needs to be reworked, the elevator scene was real frustrating... But the whole ending made the whole game kinda pointless :p

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
POP had all the makings of a stellar game, but they didn't come together for me. I wish that the time travel mechanic would be ditched completely, so there was some challenge to the game - the level design and puzzles were generally quite good. The combat needs to be completely reimagined.

Solid

Mejilan said:
Baby Mario weeps. Joking.

Enjoy! :-D
Haha sorry ;P

I just visit Gamerankings.com. Guess what PoP on Xbox average is? 93.3%! How the hell did I miss that? This I must have. Top Spin and PoP then I'm all done with my shopping... I've bought 4 games this week already! :O

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Hmm, I thought the time reversal mechanic worked REALLY well in the context of the game... the platforming/trap dodging element was perfect... The whole motif of the game, the wide castle expanses (I would frequently go into first person view just to look around my surroundings, like I did in ICO), just looked gorgeous... it's just that the whole combat system seemed tacked on at the last minute. The fights wouldn't be so bad if they were shorter, and didn't resort to matrix-like slowdown all the time to make it "look cool"...

Plus, this game had one of the best ad campaigns I've ever seen for a game... The whole thing with DJ Q-Bert (that's who it was, right?) doing his turntable wizardry... I was over my girlfriend's house last Thanksgiving season, and was watching TV with her, her sister, and her cousins, and some other people... then this game's commercial came on... it was amazing. Is it available to d/l anywhere?

novery

Coincidentally, I started playing it yesterday. One thing I noticed about it was how smooth yet slowly the prince moves. After playing Ninja Gaiden, it felt a little clunky. But after a few hours I've gotten used to it.

One more thing: About how many hours does it take to beat the game?

-rp

The PC version is the best IMO!

my screens :D
POP2004-07-1716-08-39-73.jpg

POP2004-07-1716-32-16-92.jpg

POP2004-07-1920-39-25-95.jpg

Ranger X

Silent, cool to see you had that Tomb Raider feel with this game. Seems like i'm not alone feeling that. Tomb Raider controls should have evolve in something like POP instead of staying poop.

ced

The combat wasnt all that bad, it was the NEVERENDING respawns that killed it, what the hell kind of design is that. I never got past the elevator, Ill try again sometime.

Top Bottom