• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got laid off, any Internet work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PepperedHam

Anything people have been having success with in the US? Was doing Rev for awhile but the work there has dried up big time since I started and I wouldn't mind a back up plan.

Cookie18

I posted this in another thread and remembered some people might like to hear about it here. If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me or reply here.

I tutor English on a website called Cafetalk. You set your own hours and prices for your lesson. I have done something like 20-40 lessons this month and made around $300 which is nice to add to what I already earn. I tend to just do general conversation lessons so there's no actual teaching involved for the most part. I like to take advantage of it since I am salaried but my hours are super short. It sounds like something you might want to look into if you just want to boost your income a little.

Here's the link if you want to check it out: https://cafetalk.com/i/Tutorsignup/en

Dorygrant

Hey, been checking this thread throughout the years and found some cool things like clickworker.

I was wondering if anyone knows of anything for Canada? I need to make a bit of side money to help pay bills and not really sure what's available for my country. Any ideas?

danthefan

I posted this in another thread and remembered some people might like to hear about it here. If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me or reply here.

Thanks. How long is each lesson? Is it difficult to register as a tutor, would I need to jump through any hoops? What is the method of payment?

Cookie18

Thanks. How long is each lesson? Is it difficult to register as a tutor, would I need to jump through any hoops? What is the method of payment?

You set everything regarding the lessons yourself. I have 15, 30 and 50 minute lessons but I could choose any amount of time I wanted. It isn't too difficult, they are thorough to make sure they get good teachers. I applied and had a Skype interview and then was approved. Same for my wife. It was pretty easy. I get paid direct into my bank account as does my wife. We used to get paid through PayPal. Those are the two options.

Zakalwe

Banned
You set everything regarding the lessons yourself. I have 15, 30 and 50 minute lessons but I could choose any amount of time I wanted. It isn't too difficult, they are thorough to make sure they get good teachers. I applied and had a Skype interview and then was approved. Same for my wife. It was pretty easy. I get paid direct into my bank account as does my wife. We used to get paid through PayPal. Those are the two options.

This looks great. I've applied for a position teaching HMTL5/CSS3 basics. Thanks very much for the information Cookie!

SOLDIER

Really tired of the long commute for my job. Being a Miami resident, it's unlikely I'll find anything that doesn't have me wading through car pileups and blocked express lanes.

Any notable work-at-home/telecommuting jobs that have popped up recently? Really wondering if there's an average/high paying telecommute job that also provides the typical insurance benefits. If it's something I could obtain with the required certificate or degree, I'd really like to know about it.

Just signed up to Clickworker after seeing the recommendation in this thread - anyone have any good advice? So far no assessments are showing up and there are no jobs available. Clickworker says it takes one or two hours for assessments to become available so will they show up eventually? Anyone have any experience with this?

Any good advice would be appreciated!

Chuckl3s

Any other good websites like textbroker? I just signed up and my first paper got a 3-star. So there isn't much to write about besides ebay posts and Dodge Ram interiors. I do plan on working on those to build up my star rating. Just seeing whats out there.

Are there any opportunities for those outside the US, specifically the Caribbean, its amazing to me just how much opportunity (in pretty much everything) is opened to you just by being born in a specific country and most cases its the countries that don't even need it as much.

BillyJack

Banned
Hey guys,

This is a bit of a random post but I'm looking for someone to be able to take photos of houses on the market for open house flyers and social media integration. If any of you are in the California area and interested please let me know.

Thank you.

Equipment: Prefer D-SLR
Pay: Negotiable

I'm with Lionbridge. What email are you referring to? I didn't get one.

without getting into detail, Lionbridge is switching all contractors to part time workers.

pay is changing (going up for regular raters, not sure about senior raters), paychecks are now going out twice a month, all workers qualify for 401K with a match, and LB will be paying 50% of FICA taxes (you pay them all as a contractor)

This is in the US. if you're international its obviously going to be a different story. Looks like a good thing, but definitely out of left field.

Poona

without getting into detail, Lionbridge is switching all contractors to part time workers.

pay is changing (going up for regular raters, not sure about senior raters), paychecks are now going out twice a month, all workers qualify for 401K with a match, and LB will be paying 50% of FICA taxes (you pay them all as a contractor)

This is in the US. if you're international its obviously going to be a different story. Looks like a good thing, but definitely out of left field.

Wow.. interesting. I haven't got anything yet, but it may just be for those in the US (I'm in Australia).

I've just submitted my sample for Textbroker. Does it really take weeks for them to review it or is that something they say just in case?

There are a couple of openings at Lionbridge at the moment so I'll see how it goes with that also.

ISOM

I'm in the US but haven't gotten any email so far.

I guess I'll contact them about it during the week and see what's going.

I'm in the US but haven't gotten any email so far.

I guess I'll contact them about it during the week and see what's going.

hopefully you got an email by now and it was good news.

After speaking with others about this one, it looks like it wasn't all good news across the board. For reasons no one is sure about (but are probably related to the contractor to PT employee switchover) all LB employees in KS, TN, LA, MS, IA, and OK were terminated as of March 31st.

Sad news for those people, but if anyone is looking to get on board with LB, now is probably the best time to make the attempt, since they just let go a bunch of raters for reasons unrelated to work volume.

Drakken

I know it was discussed earlier, but for any relative newcomers to the thread, just gonna mention uTest again. Basically, they crowd-source testers from all over the world. You can sign up to participate in tests of websites, mobile apps, software, etc. Once you get an invite, you go to the test URL / install the app and report bugs you find or complete a set of predefined steps and state whether each one passes or fails.

https://www.utest.com/projects?tab=all

Sign up for a (free) full profile to get access to paid projects. The more environments (OSes/browsers/devices) you have access to, the better. And they don't just have functional testing - there's also security testing, localization testing, usability testing, etc. for people who are proficient in those.

It's been my sole source of income since 2012. Not saying that's a likely scenario for everyone - back then I was splitting rent with other people so I didn't need a whole lot, and uTest provided enough part-time work to get by. I've since moved up to become a test manager there (rather than just a tester) and have been making a full-time wage for the last 2 or 3 years.

Even if it just ends up being supplemental income for you, it's one of the best work-from-home opportunities I've seen out there.

Erv

I know it was discussed earlier, but for any relative newcomers to the thread, just gonna mention uTest again. Basically, they crowd-source testers from all over the world. You can sign up to participate in tests of websites, mobile apps, software, etc. Once you get an invite, you go to the test URL / install the app and report bugs you find or complete a set of predefined steps and state whether each one passes or fails.

Sign up for a full profile to get access to paid projects. The more environments (OSes/browsers/devices) you have access to, the better. And they don't just have functional testing - there's also security testing, localization testing, usability testing, etc. for those who are proficient in those.

It's been my sole source of income since 2012. Not saying that's a likely scenario for everyone - back then I was splitting rent with other people so I didn't need a whole lot, and uTest provided enough part-time work to get by. I've since moved up to become a test manager there (rather than just a tester) and have been making a full-time wage for the last 2 or 3 years.

Even if it just ends up being supplemental income for you, it's one of the best work-from-home opportunities I've seen out there.
whats your hourly rare?

random25

Sign up for a (free) full profile to get access to paid projects. The more environments (OSes/browsers/devices) you have access to, the better. And they don't just have functional testing - there's also security testing, localization testing, usability testing, etc. for people who are proficient in those.

I've been hearing about this for quite some time now. With my current part time online work slowing down, how easy is it to enter utest and do they require a certain skill set to join?

I'll second this that Utest is absolutely a legitimate opportunity. (I don't consider mturk, clickworker, or most entry level transcription to be legitimate opportunities- you'll work absurd amounts of time for pennies on these.)

Looked into it years ago and not my thing, but I've only heard positive feedback from those that went that route.

Assuming the program hasn't changed details on pay etc are in the thread.

JdFoX187

Banned
Who here uses mturk? How much do you make monthly?
I used to do it pretty regularly about two or three years ago and brought in around $300 a month, give or take. It was a lot of menial work, but nothing hard. Logged back on about six months ago and apparently a lot of the old requesters and jobs had dried up. Not sure if that's changed since then.

Drakken

whats your hourly rare?

If you're asking what the hourly rate for a tester is, it's not set. Generally you receive payouts for each approved bug or test case (set of predefined tasks). The payouts can vary somewhat from cycle to cycle, and more importantly, the amount of potential bugs to be found varies based on how clean the particular site or app you're testing is. Also have to take into account there are other testers (sometimes a few, sometimes a lot) on each cycle looking for bugs as well, and you (understandably) can't report an issue someone else already found.

There are tests where you'll do really well and tests that won't result in much. Overall, they tend to balance out. I can say that when I started as a tester, it wasn't so much the rate that was the issue as it was the amount of hours of work I got each week. Still, like I said, it was enough for some decent part-time / supplemental income.

If you're asking for me personally as a test manager there, I'm not going to start sharing income specifics, but I have my own apt now and do OK.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
If you're asking what the hourly rate for a tester is, it's not set. Generally you receive payouts for each approved bug or test case (set of predefined tasks). The payouts can vary somewhat from cycle to cycle, and more importantly, the amount of potential bugs to be found varies based on how clean the particular site or app you're testing is. Also have to take into account there are other testers (sometimes a few, sometimes a lot) on each cycle looking for bugs as well, and you (understandably) can't report an issue someone else already found.

There are tests where you'll do really well and tests that won't result in much. Overall, they tend to balance out. I can say that when I started as a tester, it wasn't so much the rate that was the issue as it was the amount of hours of work I got each week. Still, like I said, it was enough for some decent part-time / supplemental income.

If you're asking for me personally as a test manager there, I'm not going to start sharing income specifics, but I have my own apt now and do OK.

Just to clarify, are you a TTL or a PM?

mephesta

Got my invite for the uTest sandbox today. Completed the test case, but having trouble finding a bug to report. I thought I found one and got really excited, then I realized the issue was caused by uBlock Origin (Ad blocking). I bet they don't care about that :D

Got my invite for the uTest sandbox today. Completed the test case, but having trouble finding a bug to report. I thought I found one and got really excited, then I realized the issue was caused by uBlock Origin (Ad blocking). I bet they don't care about that :D

How long after signing up for the full profile did you get the invite?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

If the sandbox didn't fire up a message about disabling those, it's a defect!

Or, if the documentation didn't mention it, it's a static defect!

I signed up last Friday and got the email for the sandbox earlier this morning, so 4 days.

Huh. I signed up last Monday so 8 days and no invite.

Edit: I just aced the quiz so hopefully that helps me out.

Second Edit: I'm in my Sandbox, Class of April 14th, submitted my test case and 2 bugs so just waiting on results and confirming (+1) on other people's bugs.

I was rejected from Textbroker lol. Still waiting on Lionbridge which I guess will be the same. I'll probably just end up get a temp job somewhere since I only need it for a few months.

danthefan

Any opinions on Freelancer? I assume there's a lot of competition for projects, but if you can get them is it a legit way to make a bit of extra money? Any similar sites knocking around? I was looking at doing stuff in Python.

Jojo Leir

Neo Member
Hi gaf, sorry for bumping this decrepit thread.

I'm looking for online data entry jobs and I'm wondering if it would be worth it to pursue some online certificates to bolster my resume. At the moment I've applied at Upwork and was rejected due to they having too many people looking for this type of work already.

Is Udemy a reputable learning platform? Got any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom