• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just hacked my AppleTV finally, what can I do with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasoco

Banned
So I finally hacked my AppleTV. I didn't have a USB stick for a while and never really cared. I just used my Xbox 36o and Rivet to watch my DVD's.

But today I was feeling adventurous. I got my USB stick back a while ago. So I downloaded the patch stick and software and after an hour or so fucking around I have an AppleTV with XBMC and Boxee on it. :D

But what can I do?

I really like XBMC's UI. It's very nice. I want to use just that. AppleTV's UI was good for 1.0, but 2.0 turned it into one big advertisement for the iTunes Media Store. So I want to just live in XBMC.

How do I get my videos, that are all stored on a HD called Media, to work on there? The Media drive is connected to a Mac mini with Rivet running. Rivet is used to make the mini look like a Windows Media Center to the Xbox. But I want to play this stuff on my AppleTV now. Is there a way to mount the Media drive across the network to the AppleTV through XBMC and browse it like I would my computer? Or am I going to have to connect the Media drive to the AppleTV?

Jasoco

Banned
That's the thing. How do I navigate to my Mac mini. It's connected to Bonjour and I would assume the AppleTV can see it being that it's Leopard under the hood as well.

Still playing around. I'm installing nitoTV right now.

Edit: Does it matter that the Media drive is HFS+ and not FAT?

Jasoco

Banned
Not having any luck at all.

Nothing works. It all installs, but then all I get is errors. No videos will play through iTunes networked. I can't even browse networked servers in NicoTV because I get an error that it wasn't setup right then tells me to run an app in Documents but doesn't tell me how to get to documents. And this is all in the AppleTV interface which is now a bigger mess than before. I just want to use XBMC to play my media collection. Can I do that? And how? This is a 40GB AppleTV so I can't just copy all the files over. I need it to either work with the drive connected to the USB port (Which doesn't seem to want to work) or across the network. (Preferred) Either way. Or I'll just have to keep using my Xbox with its horribly loud annoying as hell fan.

I would install OS X on it instead, but that actually requires taking the HD out. But I can't even figure out how to open the thing.

Jasoco

Banned
Damn. Can't even open it because it requires two Torx sizes and I only have a tool for the smaller one. Fuck!

I thought this would work well. But I can't even get it to recognize a UBS HD nor can I get OS X onto it.

Disappointed am total. Must find the right size Torx. Only then do I believe I can do something with it. Unless someone knows exactly how to get the latest AppleTV OS to recognize a USB connected HFS+ formatted HD for browsing. OR can figure out how to mount a networked Mac mini. Because I am stumped.

Jasoco

Banned
Why? It's not like I was doing anything else with it. It had been sitting on the floor for 6 months. It was either hack it and hopefully get some use out of it, or let it sit on the floor for another 6 months.

I have Googled for information about how to get USB working but nothing seems to work anymore. (A lot of the information requires me to still be on Tiger.) And at the very least a networked share. Which it should do, because it used to with the standard OS.

The problem is when I try to mount a networked computers drive, it says AFP isn't installed correctly or enabled then gives me a vague notice of how to do it but it doesn't make any sense.

I hoped someone here had had the same experience and might know what to do to either enable AFP for network streaming again or at least enabling USB support.

We have a million tool sets in this house. I really don't want to buy yet another set. Does anyone know the exact sizes of the screws that hold the bottom on the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom