• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just had my neighbor try to knock down my door and threaten to kill me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone want to see the night footage when he came back? Still pretty much audio though. You don't see anything.

Yes.

Again, the rhetoric of fear. The OP isn't dead I might point out. He called the police and the gears of civil society turned slowly, admittedly, to improve his situation. It's absurd for you to somehow argue the OP's situation would be seriously improved if the potential assailant was armed with a gun instead.

Gun debates are pointless. If you feel safer without one around, that's great. If you sleep easy at night with a 12 gauge by your bed, fair enough. Making up situations to plead your case either way is pointless. What if the guy got in before the cops arrived? What if Reggie had a gun and accidentally shot himself in the dick? Whatever makes you feel safer is the way to go. The end.

reggie

Banned
Is there a reason you are ignoring questions about the guy's motives?

I'm assuming you don't know, or you're not allowed to discuss that part, can you confirm?

Sorry if it looks like I'm ignoring them. I have no idea. As I've said, I only moved in one month ago and have said hello to him once, and that's about it. I haven't done a single thing to him.

I don't know why OP, but the video made me laugh. I'm sorry. I'm glad you're ok.

Don't be, I too can see the humour in the situation.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Anyone want to see the night footage when he came back? Still pretty much audio though. You don't see anything.

Um... yes!

Sorry if it looks like I'm ignoring them. I have no idea. As I've said, I only moved in one month ago and have said hello to him once, and that's about it. I haven't done a single thing to him.

Might be part of the reason you got to move in so cheap.

Damn, you've only been there a month and this shit is happening? I'd buy a simple door alarm. Can get one for cheap (20 bucks in the US) at most big name hardware stores. Just a simple magnet setup. We have one and its loud as fuck. At least that will wake you up before death comes for you at night.

Get more cameras. Set them up so that you have full coverage of the scene.

Cut the footage together.

Release it as a found-footage comedy.

Profit.

fallagin

Have you gotten a more sturdy door yet? That other door was kind of shit looking.

You're hilarious. He's being terrorized by a mentally ill dude and you're turning it into a situation where you can make video game jokes.
Wow, after reading this thread you are going to pick my one (admittedly dumb) joke to get bent out of shape about? Or did you not read the posts around it? That (again, stupid) joke was obviously not intended to be at the expense of the OP.

Hope things turn out OK OP.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Again, the rhetoric of fear. The OP isn't dead I might point out. He called the police and the gears of civil society turned slowly, admittedly, to improve his situation. It's absurd for you to somehow argue the OP's situation would be seriously improved if the potential assailant was armed with a gun instead.

It's only rhetoric of fear until it happens to you. Let's not sit here and pretend home invasions don't happen. Sure reggie is fine - the guy never made it through the door. What would have happened if he did?

FLEABttn

Banned
Let's not sit here and pretend home invasions don't happen. Sure reggie is fine - the guy never made it through the door. What would have happened if he did?

Let's not sit here and pretend home invasions, or deaths from home invasions, happen more than deaths in the home via accidental or untended discharges. You feel safer with a gun in your house, okay, your incorrect call, but your gun is far more likely to accidently kill the wrong person than your chances are from dying to your meth head.

GhaleonEB

If you have a thought that begins with, "I wonder if GAF wants to see...." the answer is probably yes. :lol

This is quite fascinating.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Let's not sit here and pretend home invasions, or deaths from home invasions, happen more than deaths in the home via accidental or untended discharges. You feel safer with a gun in your house, okay, your incorrect call, but your gun is far more likely to accidently kill the wrong person than your chances are from dying to your meth head.

If people don't practice proper gun safety they only have themselves to blame. The number of lazy/ignorant people out there really has zero bearing on my argument about the benefits of having a gun during a home invasion.

Hamst3r

Might be a good time to go talk to your other neighbors so they're aware of the situation and know that you're the not-crazy one.

reggie

Banned
http://youtu.be/TvSaUUNRsBc

Night video. This was when the locksmith was holding the door, I think you can hear him in parts. My mother was there at the time also, I think she can be heard. Had to edit out the later part of the video because I was one phone calling the cops with my details.

LuchaShaq

Banned

Night video. This was when the locksmith was holding the door, I think you can hear him in parts. My mother was there at the time also, I think she can be heard. Had to edit out the later part of the video because I was one phone calling the cops with my details.

At this point I would make up lies if the police won't do shit. Say he was threatening to set off a bomb or something crazier.

Can't imagine the restraint it must take to not open the door and end it with violence or if need be call several friends and it this with violence.

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

Seriously, that is fucking crazy. I would be gone so fast. No way I'd be able to sleep there. Every little noise would have me freaking out. That is some psycho shit.

Oh damn! What made him start wanting to knock your front door down and kill you? Thats crazy.

Reggie clearly disrespected him. And now he must be buried.

What happened with him and the locksmith???

I hear him barking like a fucking dog(no offense to real doggies) with his usual obscenities but is he yelling at the locksmith or yelling about Reggie???

Maybe his bark is much worse than his bite if he didn't do anything to the locksmith but I wouldn't count on that just to be safe.

Really? You could tell by my earlier post that I'm from the states? I live in TEXAS and even support the second, but I must admit that I didn't make any connection between this post and gun ownership rights, even before I knew he was from Australia.

Not sure what made you think I'm aiming my post particularly at you.

I'm merely pointing out the hilarity that certain people blabber out praises about gun rights in this topic when the conversation was never steered in that direction. Like I said, it generally lets you know who's American, if their only real solution to this kind of problem is to whip out a gun and bust a cap on people's asses.

The thing is, the rest of the world doesn't have a sexual fetish with firearms. That attitude and "problem solving" sounds straight up crazy to a lot of other cultures.

Digishine

Banned

That's really fucked up Someone tell him be quite and he reply fuck off you dog wtf ?

I think he got the tourette syndrome

I did but he tried once? Keep calling!

He called once. They had a jovial conversation with the neighbor and left. He recorded the neighbor coming to his door yelling and pounding, called the cops again. This time they came but not before telling him to stop calling, watched his footage then took the guy away but not before he assaulted them. The guy made bail the same day, came back for some more shenanigans and the cops were called a third time. Read the damn thread.

TheNatural

My Member!
Whoever said call the landlord has a good idea, maybe you can get him removed that way. Maybe you should call a lawyer too, to find out what options you have, since it appears the police aren't going to do anything.

Maybe wrong to say too, but maybe you can find an off duty bouncer or somethnig to rough this dude up for a few bucks on the side. Seriously, maybe if this dude gets a taste of his own medicine, shit will end real quick.

Yeah, you definitely need to get some kind of padlocks or security system or something. Dude's completely insane.

Drek

Australia is a better country without household gun ownership. It's pretty well known that a gun kept for self-defence is more likely to end up killing or maiming a family member than an intruder. The American gun culture is paranoid and dangerous, and most in this country are content to continue to live in relative safety without such weapons. The statistics are on my side on this one.

Anyway, that's off topic. Best of luck OP.
You do realize that trusting those statistics is illogical right? Gun ownership is not some randomized risk entered into your life. It is something that offers zero increased risk for the responsible owner and great increased risk for the irresponsible owner.

This morning I heard someone mention that the odds of picking the entire NCAA Men's tourney selections and seeding right was 1:13.4M while the odds of being an astronaut are 1:13.2M, therefore he was more likely to become an astronaut than pick the brackets correctly. This view effectively removes all of the "user input" from the ratios of success, implying that the level of intelligence, schooling, and work needed to select the NCAA Men's bracket correctly is comparable to becoming an astronaut, which is simply ludicrous. Your argument relies upon the exact same fallacy.

I have never touched a gun in my life. I feel safer for it, as I know that's not abnormal.

Homicide rates:
640px-Homicide-world.png

Hmmm.

Just an FYI, most of the lowest suicide rates by state in that image of the U.S. are in the most gun friendly states. The rate in Maine for example, where I grew up, is comparable to much of western Europe. It is consistently one of the lowest states in all violent crime tallies. In Maine it is legal to own semi-automatic assault weaponry, any state resident of more than five years can obtain a concealed carry permit to have a loaded weapon. No permit is needed for an openly carried weapon.

Maine happens to have either the most or the second most firearms per capita in the U.S..

Gun ownership = violent crime is a trying to argue that inconsistent correlation implies causation, and that just isn't logically sound.

TheNatural

My Member!
That'll surely make him happy, I wonder who he'd blame for getting evicted?

Well at least at that point, any time he's on the property he's trespassing instead of being his residence, and can be arrested. I can't imagine the landlord wanting someone there who is running off residents and could possibly be damaging the property.

Show the landlord that video of what he's doing to the door and see what they have to say.

this might also go to the 'don't call us' remark. Who knows what the history is with this guy and his neighbors..
(they may also know the guy and believe him to be harmless)

Doesn't matter what the cops think, none of that helps the dude that made this thread and his state of being.

No one should live their daily life in fear.

midonnay

I would boobie trap the stairs just in case he comes back and tries to murder you in your sleep o.o;

maybe a bucket of soapy water at the top of the stairs ready

What the fuck is this. Call the cops, call a news outlet, get the goddamn property owner involved. This guy is clearly deranged and dangerous. Needs to be more than a restraining order from you involved.

Cohsae

That'll surely make him happy, I wonder who he'd blame for getting evicted?

Yeah good point, should probably just shoot the guy in the kneecaps.

But what you should really do is go to Today Tonight and get paid a lot of money for some sort of "Neighbours from Hell" story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom