• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just ordered a 144hz monitor and have a couple of questions

ScOULaris

After years of playing PC shooters like CS:GO (and now Overwatch) on a standard 60hz monitor, I've finally taken the plunge and ordered a barebones 144hz screen. This is just a simple 144hz Acer monitor with 1ms response time and no G-sync or Freesync since my GPU doesn't support either at the moment. I'll probably update to a Gsync monitor once I do a completely new build a year or two from now.

So I personally cannot stand screen tearing and notice it very easily. I also cannot tolerate input lag in any fast-paced or precise FPS game (CS:GO being the prime example). On my 60hz monitor I tend to cap the framerate in most games to 59 (or 59.9 in CS:GO) while enabling triple-buffered vsync. This tends to give me a smooth, tear-free image while keeping input lag to a very playable minimum. Of course, there would be a few ms less input lag if I turned off vsync entirely, but the tearing is just too distracting for me.

Anyway, here are my questions for when my 144hz monitor arrives on Saturday:

1. How noticeable will tearing be at 144hz when running games like CS:GO and Overwatch without any vsync enabled?
    I realize that without any kind of v-sync or G-sync there will always be tearing, but I've read that it's much harder to notice once you're running at > 100fps on a 144hz monitor. For those of you who are sensitive to screen tearing, is it noticeable to you in this scenario?
  2. With vsync enabled at 144hz, will the resulting input delay be significantly less noticeable than it is on a 60hz monitor given the reduced amount of time that a frame might need to be stored in the frame buffer before hitting the screen?
    Let's say that the tearing is still noticeable to me on my new monitor and I want to try a similar approach with capping the fps at slightly under 144fps while enabling triple-buffered v-sync. The input delay will still be there, of course, but will it be reduced to a point where I might not even feel it due to the higher refresh?
  3. If I'm getting about 110fps with drops down to 100 when the action heats up in Overwatch with v-sync disabled, am I going to experience judder?
    Same goes for CS:GO whenever it dips below 144fps. I'm kind of unclear on whether or not judder occurs as a general rule whenever running at a lower framerate than the refresh. Does less fluctuation tend to result in less judder? If so I could try capping my fps at a stable number where it won't drop often.

ScOULaris

Uhhhhh....You're not seeing input lag using triple buffered vsync and 60Hz?

That's not right.

No, of course there is some, but by capping the framerate to one below refresh and using triple-buffering it's kept to a very playable minimum for me. If I allow the framerate to go over 60 then the input delay is much more palpable.

At 59fps there is less delay because no frames are being held/delayed in order to keep in time with the monitor's refresh, if I understand correctly.

Mupod

tearing doesn't drive me absolutely bonkers like some people on GAF but I definitely hate it almost as much as I do input lag. I've had a 120hz monitor since 2011 and noticeable tearing is a VERY rare occurrence, I almost never use vsync anymore. Definitely not in any modern game.

dr_rus

1. Technically, the more frames you have to show in a second the more chances you have for a tear. So in pure theory tearing should be _more_ noticeable on a higher refresh panels. In practice though this may not be the case as the whole tearing thing is subjective.

2. It should be. 144Hz means that your three buffers will swap 2.4 times faster and the input lag will be 2.4 lower.

3. Not really sure what you mean by judder.

Lister

Banned
1. Technically, the more frames you have to show in a second the more chances you have for a tear. So in pure theory tearing should be _more_ noticeable on a higher refresh panels. In practice though this may not be the case as the whole tearing thing is subjective.

2. It should be. 144Hz means that your three buffers will swap 2.4 times faster and the input lag will be 2.4 lower.

3. Not really sure what you mean by judder.

I'm guessing with judder he means repeat of animations frames. It can also mean stacatto spreading of frames - this usualyl happens in film, in the theaters, whent he camera pans quickly from left to right. Hate that.

I think anytime your frame rate is lower than your refresh and your refresh is not being driven by the GPU (as in with GSYNC) you'll get judder, but I don't know that it will be as noticeable as it is with a 144hz panel as it would be with a 60hz one.

Durante

You will always experience judder when your framerate doesn't match your refresh rate (that's why variable refresh tech exists), but it will be less noticeable the higher your refresh rate is.

For me personally -- I'm not nearly as susceptible to judder as I am to input lag or tearing -- at 120Hz+ judder isn't a significant problem with triple buffering.

Top Bottom