• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just revisited The Order 1886 in 2021 and...

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
i think this might just be the worst game ever made. Not because its buggy or broken or poorly made, but because every bad thing about this game was by design. Someone actually thought this is how games should be made. The game is roughly 5-6 hours long and nearly 70% of that is cutscenes and walking. there are maybe three or four full levels in the game where you actually do more than just walking. there are times when an entire hour goes by without you ever getting to do anything interactive. i dont mind 6 hour games with 2 hours of shooting, but those remaining 4 hours need to be interactive. have some puzzles in there. some exploration that earns you rewards like perks, weapons and upgrades. there is none of that here. you just walk and watch cutscenes for the vast majority of the game.

the fact that the shooting was good is infuriating because you know that this couldve been a good game if it wasnt for the studio leads who wanted to make it filmic. these guys made gow chains of olympus and ghost of sparta. both absolutely fantastic psp games. they had so much talent. both gow games introduced new weapons to the franchise which totally changed up the combat. these guys know setpieces, combat design and weapons and this is what they did with all that knowledge. they created a 2 hour game.

I am glad that the studio is all but dead. that tells me that industry people saw this trash and said nope we dont want gaming to go in this direction.

I honestly felt this game was hot garbage. I bought it for like 15 bucks and still felt ripped off.

Gorgeous visuals, completely lacking everywhere else IMO.

Again, just IMO.

(still would get excited for a sequel though,. if the gameplay is fleshed out greatly and the scale is grander)

Perrott

Gold Member
I can't think of a worse one off the bat. Maybe something niche in the PS2 era. I'd rather play Haze again than this.
Last year's Predator: Hunting Grounds? SOCOM 4 (2011)? PSVR's Bravo Team? Most PS Move games? Knack? Lair depending on who you ask... I would even put Killzone: Shadow Fall and some inFAMOUS games below The Order.

And talking about Haze, that's one game I'm planning to buy a used copy for the PS3 just to check out how bad (or maybe how not so bad) it is 😂

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I would've bought the game already to play it on PS5 if it wasn't for such a huge price tag so many years after release 👇

ZKQ7JU0.jpg

Most of the old PS4 exclusives cost more than 2 times less now and brand new. I mean I know the game flopped hard but c'mon now Sony, it's just ridiculous to charge that much for this game in 2021. FFS.

Last edited:

Aenima

My issue with The Order, is that thers no replay value. I like cinematic games like the Quantic Dreams games because they have branching narratives and offer you replay value to experience diferent outcomes. The Order is a cinematic game with very few shooting segments and with zero replay value because no matter what options you choose, the game moves on the same direction. Even the stealth part is game over if you fail to do it stealthy.

Graphics are great, the story is interesting but ends in a cliffhanger, the shooting parts are decent and the weapons are pretty cool, but is a very mediocre game thanks to bad game design decisions.

HE1NZ

Banned
Last year's Predator: Hunting Grounds? SOCOM 4 (2011)? PSVR's Bravo Team? Most PS Move games? Knack? Lair depending on who you ask... I would even put Killzone: Shadow Fall and some inFAMOUS games below The Order.

And talking about Haze, that's one game I'm planning to buy a used copy for the PS3 just to check out how bad (or maybe how not so bad) it is 😂
Games I've played among those you mentioned are all decent. PS Move games are actually quite excellent. Lair had a patch that allowed for normal controls though I still haven't played it.

Perrott

Gold Member
My issue with The Order, is that thers no replay value. I like cinematic games like the Quantic Dreams games because they have branching narratives and offer you replay value to experience diferent outcomes. The Order is a cinematic game with very few shooting segments and with zero replay value because no matter what options you choose, the game moves on the same direction. Even the stealth part is game over if you fail to do it stealthy.

Graphics are great, the story is interesting but ends in a cliffhanger, the shooting parts are decent and the weapons are pretty cool, but is a very mediocre game thanks to bad game design decisions.
What do you consider replay value? Because I actually think that most, if not ALL, games have replay value because, for instance, the first and last time I played The Order was more than three years ago and now I'm thinking of replaying it since it's been a while since the last time I went through the whole game. So the point is that all games are replayable eventually, due to the passage of time.

But if you consider "replay value" starting another playthrough right after finishing your first one, well, then you are right in that it doesn't give you many reasons to go back immediately to it - unlike Bloodborne, which is a game that I beat multiple times in a row every now and then.

Last edited:

Metnut

One of the most impressive long demos I’ve ever seen. Wish they had a chance to follow up and give a full experience.

Aenima

What do you consider replay value? Because I actually think that most, if not ALL, games have replay value because, for instance, the first and last time I played The Order was more than three years ago and now I'm thinking of replaying it since it's been a while since the last time I went through the whole game. So the point is that all games are replayable eventually, due to the passage of time.

But if you consider "replay value" starting another playthrough right after finishing your first one, well, then you are right in that it doesn't give you many reasons to go back immediately to it - unlike Bloodborne, which is a game that I beat multiple times in a row every now and then.
Yes, replay value in the way that after you finish the game you still have things to do and see, stuff to unlock or new game modes to play. In The Order once you finish it, you have seen and done everething the game has to offer. Even the Trophies are easy to get.

MrA

I think part of the problem was all those grand city scapes we're disconnected from the game. Here's a beautiful Victorian london, now go fight in a dank sewer,
Also plot twists we're terribly predictable
Same world with more varied gameplay would be nice

LordOfChaos

. The PBR is basically unmatched. The 22:9 aspect is still a bummer though. I wish you could remove it.

These two things went hand in hand I'm sure. What purer way to remove rendering load than just having black bars. That leaves more GPU operations per frame available on what they do render.

NahaNago

Loved the game as well but I'm not really in to shooters. I was glad the game was short but at the same time I was honestly expecting the the game to go for like 20 more hours and for me to be bored and done with it before beating it. The story just left open ended so I felt like the game should have continued on. Now if this had been just one story completely wrapped up then I would have loved it more. After playing the game I kept thinking , " I want a movie."

mhirano

It was the best tech demo ever.
I even like the world, but those shitty werewolf fights were boring, stupid and repetitive.
The sequel done right would probably be an instant classic.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I am glad that the studio is all but dead. that tells me that industry people saw this trash and said nope we dont want gaming to go in this direction.

I was on board until this part.

They made backwards design choices the first time, but showed massive potential. I think they should have gotten a second go at it. Uncharted didn't even get good until the second game.

I think they were too small a studio to tackle AAA production values and the content to go with it.

Bend Studio is another example of once portable devs making the jump and they barely managed, but staffed up to meet the challenge.

I don't know how things played out at RAD but from the outside it seems like either a talented studio with poor direction or not enough time/staff. Or both.

I

It was one of games that suffered from badly chosen price point. It should have released as shorter cheaper experience for like 30-40$ and reception would be better.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Love this game. Play it every so often. Wish it had a chance for a sequel.

Same with Ryse. Booted it up the other day just to see how it looked, ended up playing it for hours.

Orpheum

It was a one and done affair for me but i also quite enjoyed it.

However they could have done so much more...

sncvsrtoip

I bought it very cheap like for 10$. Gameplay was mediocre but graphics amazing and also story and world interesting. Ending was like money just end and studio had to release game finished in 70% but still would like to see sequel on ps5.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It was wonderful, loved every minute of that game. It had so much potential and felt so unique in terms of lore, guns, effects, sounds, and of course graphics. It got butchered for being a short game.

dDoc

Boss fights are a QTE-fest, and not in a good way.

I still remember that horrendous stealth section as well.

Had potential, totally squandered it.

DonJorginho

Banned
The Werewolf scene in the Hospital was hands down one of the most tense, cinematic, nailbiting scenes I had experienced in a long time.

These guys deserved another chance, yeah it was too short and could've benefited from more shooting sections and gameplay variety in general but people's preconceptions of the game were unfair and the game was a dead man walking at that point.

Sequel is needed, still waiting for it when an "insider" on here hinted about it.... (if my memory serves me right that is)

GymWolf

The shooting part was nice, good hit reaction and decent gore, also the weapons were diversified enough, it's basically everything else that was utter shit, from enemy encounters, to lack of enemy variety to complete lack of challenge to special weapons made for retarded people (the tesla gun killing from behind a wall without even aiming, lmao), stealth was absolutely laughable, plot and chara were acceptable to downright bad, the atmosphere in some areas was ace tho.

Graphic was great but the cuts to make that graphic are under everyone eyes.

I would accept a sequel in the hands of really capable people who can actually write decent story and chara in a story driven game.

Last edited:
It's beautiful to look at, but as a game I thought it was average. Never had a 4.5 hr long game feel like it was dragging before...

I thought it would've made a better tv series than a game.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
It was basically a playable tech demo. Still liked it though.

I do am puzzled by the fact that ANYONE who was involved in making this game actually thought it would sell well enough to recoup for the costs.

Crocwrangler

Neo Member
I read something a year ago about some demo thing that was showed to some people and was considered as a heavy rumor of a potential sequel of the game. It wasn t said explicitly but many elements made me think about The Order.

Top Bottom