• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justin Bieber sued by paparazzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oppo

and I want to reiterate, I am sympathetic. I even considered developing a device that blasts infrared light to blind digital cameras, and specifically market that to celebrities as an anti-paparazzo measure. (it's a neat idea, but it doesn't work very well, and even then only at night.)

Bieber should give his henchmen water guns or something. There are better solutions to this problem.

and I want to reiterate, I am sympathetic. I even considered developing a device that blasts infrared light to blind digital cameras, and specifically market that to celebrities as an anti-paparazzo measure. (it's a neat idea, but it doesn't work very well, and even then only at night.)

You actually made a prototype ?

Oh, and concerning the expectation of privacy in public in canada, I believe that if you are the subject of the picture/video, the photographer needs your permission to use that picture. A photographer who takes a picture of people in public does not need permission to use the picture only if it's clear that no one person is the subject of the picture.

PInk Tape

Banned
If you think you're safe in your own backyard

oh that gif is also Miley recording a pap that was following her while she was walking her dog

Wow.. Just wow.

She can't even go into the backyard of her own home without these scumbags taking pictures of her.

Vyroxis

Banned
I hate both almost equally, but paparazzi a bit more. But smashing their equipment and physical violence is taking it to far. It's one thing to have your bodyguard block their shots/ask them to leave. Anything more than that, and you are asking for trouble.

To be fair though, he really isn't asking for much. Probably enough to cover some medical bills and equipment. He knows the game, but isn't willing to push it.

Oppo

You actually made a prototype ?

Oh, and concerning the expectation of privacy in public in canada, I believe that if you are the subject of the picture/video, the photographer needs your permission to use that picture. A photographer who takes a picture of people in public does not need permission to use the picture only if it's clear that no one person is the subject of the picture.

Well I built a weird little gizmo and did some tests ;

Anyways - on the subject thing, nope. there's no "subject clause". you can't take an up skirt or whatever. but you can snap away at anyone on the street, and no you don't need release forms. only if you then went on to use that person's image in a commercial way would you be in trouble.

Edit - I will add that most of my knowledge is Canada-based so I don't know how this works re: paparazzo in the US

Aiii

So not worth it
Isn't being a paparazzo basically making a profession out of stalking a person?

How is this profession even legal? Seriously?

Anyways, beside the point of the thread. Guy was assaulted, he's right to sue.

RefigeKru

Banned
Because being photographed in public doesn't make you a victim?

I think it's shitty that celebrities and their families have to deal with papparazzi - I really do - but it takes more than being annoyed by an activity to make someone a victim of something. I feel weird even seeing the phrase "victim blaming" being brought up in this context.

You wanna stop paparazzi from having a profession? Tell the world to stop giving a shit about every little thing celebrities do. If you've ever clicked on a link because it promised a picture of some celebrity doing something weird/funny/sexy then you're only fueling the fire.

PREACH

If you've no sympathy for someone who was assaulted and robbed by Justin Bieber's bodyguard whilst legally working within the confines of current western society, you've gone too far. I'm a photographer and I'd never touch Paparazzi work, I don't think it's decent for society as a whole in it propagating tabloid trash but come on, the guy got choked and robbed by Bieber's mule.

You'd rather the little shit got away with ordering that?

Paparazzi are scum. I think getting their equiment destroyed and having reasonable force used against them to either prevent them from taking pictures or enticing them to fuck off should be part of the job and should serve as a higher burden of proof if they ever take legal action against the celebrity.

So a reasonable action for having you picture taken in public without your permission is a choke hold followed by personal equipment being damaged, and if the attempt to get the memory card by the bodyguard was successful then theft? No, you're wrong, the pap didn't do anything illegal and even if he did assault isn't the solution.

I'm not a fan of paps or bieber, but he shouldn't be sending somebody he pays as a bodyguard to physically attack a member of public trying to do his job.

Hope the Pap wins

LogicStep

If I was famous I would do what Daniel Radcliffe did. I'd just wear the same outfit every day making their pictures useless.

Goon

I stand by my belief that reasonable use of force on the paparazzo and the destruction of his equipment when harassment is occuring should not be ground to civil action.

1401900171200.png

Member876

Banned
Why don't celebs just get restraining order based on stalking? I know you can't get restraining order for every paparazzi but at least for the ones who are known to make big bucks out of you.

I think less of the paparazzi than sex workers.

Scum of society.

Same.

I don't see how people would think otherwise. Callgirls don't follow you and your family around while harassing you. You go to them, pay for their services, and any interaction you have with them is consensual, and that's the end of it. They have my respect.

Paparazzis are parasitic scum who don't give any shits about anything other than the small amount of money they make from harassing people. They can fuck off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom