• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JXD S7100: The most original gaming tablet ever!

BurntPork

Banned
mock if mold

AbIEX.png

If you're going to steal, steal from the best. JXD has just released its S7100, a fairly conspicuous 7-inch Android-powered gaming tablet marketed towards playing old-school arcade games. The device features a D-pad, face buttons, an 800 x 480 capacitive touchsceen, ARM Cortex A9 CPU, Mail 400 GPU, 512MB of RAM, 16GB of internal storage, 0.3 megapixel front camera, 2.0 megapixel rear camera and HDMI-out. A video trailer shows the unit playing a variety of touchscreen games and classic ROMs including Metal Slug, Mario Kart 64, Angry Birds, Plants Vs. Zombies and Fruit Ninja HD. Not to be undone, the device also features the actual PlayStation button icons on its own buttons (sound familiar?), while the marketing website for the device sports icons from Apple, Google, Microsoft and others. If you're thus far undeterred, there's a must-watch promotional vid hosted just after the break -- nothing justifies a $140 price tag like Bieber, right?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/27/jxd-releases-s7100-android-based-gaming-tablet-manages-to-steal/

Good lord! Gotta say, these guys have balls.

Tain

lol, Android emulation is pretty terrible from all of my experiences with it. I can't imagine wanting a device based on it.

Only one stick? Bah! I'll wait for the revision!

also i'd say this thing would actually be kind good if it didnt try so hard to ape everything instead of being original.

Waiting for a redisign with the second analog

Jokes aside, it looks pretty cool indeed, but frankly I don't see the point of it, as long as its most attractive feature is emulating licensed software.

As much as I like the idea of being able to play retro games decently, I think they should have not show Mario kart or Metal slug, it sort of hints at playing those games for free, which isn't legal as for now.

A 7" tablet with full gaming controls, capacitive touchscreen, and the power to run classic game emulators is basically my dream device, but I'm not really sure this delivers on that particular desire. Promising for the future though!

jadedm17

Yea, Korea makes lots of fake tech stuff. Not really news.

Actually, some of it isn't bad. Responsiveness aside, my fake iPhone served me well for $50.

Orayn

$140? Christ on a pogo stick, that's in line with the price of a GP2X! If these wind up on DealExtreme, I just may have to get one.

DCharlie

Banned
A 7" tablet with full gaming controls, capacitive touchscreen, and the power to run classic game emulators is basically my dream device, but I'm not really sure this delivers on that particular desire. Promising for the future though!

i'm not going to lie, a hacked Vita running Mame -almost in full- along with all the other emulators would be dreamy.

Or a table that's small and cheap enough to run actual PC software and in 'tate' mode ;)

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It looks horribly uncomfortable... better than the Wii U controller, since it's smaller, but still not for me.
I own a GP32 and bought a PSP just for emulators, so I like to see this sort of thing, though.

It looks horribly uncomfortable... better than the Wii U controller, since it's smaller, but still not for me.
I own a GP32 and bought a PSP just for emulators, so I like to see this sort of thing, though.

Did you hold the wii u controller in your hands?

cause personally I think the wii u controller works.The circle pads feel cheap though, but I think it's an early hardware problem that shouldn't pop up at retail.

M3d10n

Usually you can predict the build quality by the amount of copyrights infringed by a knock off product.

BurntPork

Banned
They do? When this happens every day from a hundred other different manufacturers from Whereverthefuck in Asia?

Yeah, but they usually rip off one thing at a time. :p

And yeah, it's cool and has a nice price. But WVGA? WTF? The only reason I don't throw a fit over the Wii U's controller resolution is that I want it to be cheap. This, however, is an actual tablet. Still, at $140, it's very attractive.

Enkidu

buttons on a tablet? no thanks. not for me.
Depends on what you want to use the tablet for, no? Since gaming seems to be the primary focus of this device it's probably a good idea to have prominent buttons. As much of a cheap ripoff of everything as it is, I'd much rather play games on this than on an iPad.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Depends on what you want to use the tablet for, no? Since gaming seems to be the primary focus of this device it's probably a good idea to have prominent buttons. As much of a cheap ripoff of everything as it is, I'd much rather play games on this than on an iPad.

I game a lot on my ipad but I just use the on-screen buttons and d-pad which works well for me.

1-D_FTW

Yeah, but they usually rip off one thing at a time. :p

And yeah, it's cool and has a nice price. But WVGA? WTF? The only reason I don't throw a fit over the Wii U's controller resolution is that I want it to be cheap. This, however, is an actual tablet. Still, at $140, it's very attractive.

Should also have lower emulation demands at that resolution. And, honestly, that's about the only reason I'd want the thing. Not that that's a bad thing. Looks like it could be pretty killer for emulation (operating under the assumption Vita is not going to get hacked for homebrew).

steoc4

As shady as the company's previous devices and website seem to be, I don't see what this device has actually copied.

It's an android tablet with solid hardware and game controls, which is a device I've been hoping would come along for a while and nothing like it really exists to date.

The only thing I see that could be accused of copying is the X, Square, Circle, Triangle thing, but if they had different symbols on the buttons then it wouldn't effect the machine in the slightest, and I don't see what the big deal is, it's not like everyone accused Microsoft of infringing Nintendo copyrights when they put A, B, X, Y as their face buttons.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I really hope the build quality and battery life turn out to be ok (not expecting miracles, but just hoping they're not disastrous) because everything else about the spec makes this a must-buy device for me.

I'd totally buy one of those if it isn't a piece of crap. The specs are super impressive for the price.

I totally expect flimsy build quality, super buggy android rom, and terrible battery life though.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
As shady as the company's previous devices and website seem to be, I don't see what this device has actually copied.

Are you serious? Let's go over this:
- Playstation design (as you said)
- Design that's very similar to Nintendo's next-gen controller (technically might not constitute an infringement, but it's risky)
- Features companies and brands which are not on board (Microsoft, Apple, etc.)
- Touts games which are not available for Android and in some cases are still sold by their owners (Mario Kart 64)
- Can't watch the promotional video for some reason, but I wouldn't be surprised if Bieber was edited in without his permission or knowledge

Sure, these don't all equate "copying", but I believe your point was whether everything was perfectly fine and legal with this product. It isn't.

I'd totally buy one of those if it isn't a piece of crap. The specs are super impressive for the price.

I totally expect flimsy build quality, super buggy android rom, and terrible battery life though.
If you already own an iOS device the cheaper and better option would be to buy an iControlPad. It's also compatible with some iOS games, like GTA3.

icontrolpad1.png

OE: I'm pretty sure Sony have trademarked the cross, square, triangle, circle button configuration. As such, the manufacturer of that tablet is "passing off" an association with Sony.

Orayn

Sony gonna sue. They should.

Shut down all these China companies.

The Shanzai culture is a hydra, and you will never be able to cut off all of its heads simultaneously. Might as well enjoy its fruits when some company actually makes a decent product like the Dingoo A320.

Top Bottom