• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kadokawa Games announces Root Letter for PS4, PS Vita

mankoto

More from Gematsu

Story

The player is the protagonist of the story, and in search of his high school pen pal Aya Fumino, visits Matsue in Shimane Prefecture, Japan. Around your senior year of high school, you had a pen pal. Her letters supported you throughout your exams. A subtle love began to bud for the girl who always smiled so kindly in her photographs. But when you graduated, a letter never arrived.

It’s been 15 years since then, and you’ve found the final letter that you thought was never sent.

“I’ve killed someone. I must compensate for my sins. This is farewell. Goodbye.”

What happened to her? To meet your pen pal, you visit Matsue. However, her home had burned down in a fire 15 years ago.

The key to solving this mystery is her 11 letters and photographs. But the seven classmates mentioned in her letter refuse to talk. Is the school life of her and her classmates as written in the letters a complete fabrication?

Gradually, her classmates will reveal their hidden truths. What happened 15 years ago? What is the meaning of her last letter?

What is Aya Fumino’s true nature?

By solving these mysteries, will you be able to meet her?

Aya Fumino (voiced by Noriko Hidaka)

Your pen pal from 15 years ago. At the time, she was a senior at Shimane Prefectural Matsue Oba High School. From the letters she sent you reflecting her high school life, she is a kind and compassionate person surrounded by good friends. She was a good pen pal whose letters carried a bit of love.

Now, 15 years later, you find her last letter written just before graduation, and your idea of her is transformed. Was the school life she told you of all a lie? The truth lies in Shimane. Head there and discover the truth behind her identity.

Shimane Prefecture

The setting of this work is Shimane Prefecture, a location blessed with history and cultural heritage, and where there is a feeling of transparency.

By repeatedly gathering data in the real world, Kadokawa Games has faithfully reproduced the lives of the local people of Shimane Prefecture, the “unspoilt landscape of the youth,” with a vivid sense of reality.

From famous tourist spots to shops frequented by locals, including spots that actually exist in the real world, many locations will appear.

While going around Shimane Prefecture in the footsteps of their pen pal Aya Fumino, you’ll taste the flavors of both Matsue and Izumo.

Theme Song: Junai Rhapsody

The theme song, “Junai Rhapsody,” is written and composed by Mariya Takeuchi, covered by Ron, and produced by Suzuki Daichi Hideyuki. Mariya Takeuchi herself is from Shimane Prefecture.

Staff

Producer / Overall Direction: Yoshimi Yasuda
Planning / Character Design: Mino Taro
Scenario Writer: Dario Fuji
Composer: Nitta Takafumi
Director: Zin Hasegawa
Work Collaboration: Shimane Prefecture

BTA

Oh, whoa, this is getting a worldwide release? Hopefully it's good, and sells well if so. If this is a start of a series/line of mystery games and we consistently get them quickly after they come out in Japan, that'd be really great.

EDIT: Wait, it's set 15 years afterwards, but all the art seems to be showing them in high school...? If there's some sort of time travel element, I'm even more intrigued.

mankoto

Oh, whoa, this is getting a worldwide release? Hopefully it's good, and sells well if so. If this is a start of a series/line of mystery games and we consistently get them quickly after they come out in Japan, that'd be really great.

EDIT: Wait, it's set 15 years afterwards, but all the art seems to be showing them in high school...? If there's some sort of time travel element, I'm even more intrigued.

I wouldn't call it time travel, but its more of you the player uncovering the past of what happened 15 years ago. More than likely by talking to the seven students mentioned in her letters.

Holmes

So Kadokawa is localizing and publishing these games themselves in the west? Have they opened a western branch or are they doing all this from Japan?

Seems like a large portion of the game is told through flashbacks? Interesting.

Really hope this has some proper gameplay elements. Even just a few puzzles thrown in would go a long way.

BTA

I wouldn't call it time travel, but its more of you the player uncovering the past of what happened 15 years ago. More than likely by talking to the seven students mentioned in her letters.

If it's just flashbacks that's still intriguing. I really enjoy seeing contradictions/mistakes/misinterpretations between peoples' memories used as a plot device, so I'd be up for that.

LuuKyK

Sounds interesting as hell to me.

I love Mino Taro's art, but yeah, his artstyle suits this more than Exist Archive or God War.

Zemekis11

Banned
Thanks for the thread, I genuinely had no idea this game existed until I clicked on it and the trailer had a really cool vibe to it. I definitely think i'll pick this up to support this kind of thing coming westward.

mankoto

Thanks for the thread, I genuinely had no idea this game existed until I clicked on it and the trailer had a really cool vibe to it. I definitely think i'll pick this up to support this kind of thing coming westward.

Speaking of coming westard, I can't read Japanese (had to use Google translate), but they make it sound like the reason why they announce this and God Wars coming westard already is because they want to contribute to giving the world Japanese video games, which is really cool.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201511/10092693.html

「日本の地方創生に少しでも貢献して、そのコンテンツに対して、世界中から来ていただき、日本の魅力をわかってほしい。日本の地方のよさや文化を、ゲームを通じて世界に発信していきたい」

Speaking of coming westard, I can't read Japanese (had to use Google translate), but they make it sound like the reason why they announce this and God Wars coming westard already is because they want to contribute to giving the world Japanese video games, which is really cool.

「日本の地方創生に少しでも貢献して、そのコンテンツに対して、世界中から来ていただき、日本の魅力をわかってほしい。日本の地方のよさや文化を、ゲームを通じて世界に発信していきたい」

Hey Kadokawa I'll buy all your games including the Evolution versions of Ao and Zero thanks.

If they want to help increase the presence of often overlooked genres in the West then I'll make sure to support them with my wallet. Kudos, Kadokawa.

Props to them, that's awesome, will be supporting these then.

That really makes it sound like they're setting up an overseas publishing arm though. It's almost exactly what Idea Factory international said when they were first setting up.

Guymelef

They have all my respect and will have my money.

Kadokawa's getting pretty aggressive with their localization. I certainly wouldn't have expected them to be the first to localize a visual novel for the PS4.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Kadokawa's getting pretty aggressive with their localization. I certainly wouldn't have expected them to be the first to localize a visual novel for the PS4.

Wonder who is doing the localization for them? Or more like translation. As the localization stuff would be handled in house, but the master text, whos doing that is what Im curious about.

salromano

Wonder who is doing the localization for them? Or more like translation. As the localization stuff would be handled in house, but the master text, whos doing that is what Im curious about.

It's probably NIS America. They just released Rodea the Sky Soldier for Kadokawa today and did Natural Doctrine for them before. Both are developed by Kadokawa in-house (the former in collaboration with Prope, but Kadokawa developed, too, not just published).

Wow that's really awesome. I'll be there day one.

Shizuka

It's probably NIS America. They just released Rodea the Sky Soldier for Kadokawa today and did Natural Doctrine for them before. Both are developed by Kadokawa in-house (the former in collaboration with Prope, but Kadokawa developed, too, not just published).

Yup, it's most likely NIS America. It must be NISA's most important relationship after Gust and Compile Heart/Idea Factory relationships ended, that must be why they're confident about a worldwide release before the games are even out in Japan.

Those additional story details sound nice.

With the player trying to piece together what happened fifteen years ago, I can see some really intriguing possibilities for both the story and the investigation. If the game can deliver on this promise it might be a pretty special title.

Shizuka

Mages is owned by Kadokawa right? Hope this means that Steins;Gate 0 is coming over sooner than expected.

I think the Kadokawa we're talking about and Mages are owned by the same group: Kadokawa Dwango. Mages is from the "Dwango" side of that merger.

Ramune

Wow, the premise of Root Letter seemed like something I could see being localized...then I saw people talking about worldwide release and re-read the paragraph again....HOLY.....!!!! I never thought I'd see the day...*sniff*

raven777

Dengeki Playstation cover

NwfkLvN.jpg

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Ah good point. Would make sense.

mdubs

Banned
I remember NIS saying at their conference back in February that the success of Danganronpa meant they were planning to transition into more VNs and less JRPGs, so this would fall in line with that if they are indeed localizing

I still can't believe this is getting released simultaneously in the West. How nice it is to not have to wait a year or two after the Japanese release to play this niche kind of fare for once.

rrvv

Honestly it feel like it just matter of time before kodakawa bought NIS.

Not only they get western game publishing firm they also got anime publishing firm too

Aizo

Banned
Shimane Prefecture

The setting of this work is Shimane Prefecture, a location blessed with history and cultural heritage, and where there is a feeling of transparency.

By repeatedly gathering data in the real world, Kadokawa Games has faithfully reproduced the lives of the local people of Shimane Prefecture, the “unspoilt landscape of the youth,” with a vivid sense of reality.

From famous tourist spots to shops frequented by locals, including spots that actually exist in the real world, many locations will appear.

While going around Shimane Prefecture in the footsteps of their pen pal Aya Fumino, you’ll taste the flavors of both Matsue and Izumo.
Wow! That's so interesting! I lived in Izumo, Shimane for a bit, and I was there this past weekend. It's a really beautiful prefecture, so I hope they can capture how wonderful the nature is here. Them saying that Izumo and Matsue "flavors" will be in it makes me hope that we will see the Hinomisaki area.

I'll have to remember to look into this game again when it comes out. It taking place in Shimane is the thing that caught my eye.

Edit:
I hope this includes the area surrounding the actual castle. What makes Matsue castle interesting among all the other castles in Japan is its huge area around the castle, which is very pretty.

Top Bottom