• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamaitachi No Yoru (Banshee’s Last Cry) Remake announced for PS Vita, Feb 2017 Jap

takoyaki

l_5829c8ac27378capz7.jpg

kamaitachi-no-yoru_11lcunp.jpg

trailer/opening video

Gematsu said:
The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals Kamaitachi no Yoru: Rinne Saisei, a remake of the Chunsoft-developed Super Famicom sound novel game Kamaitachi no Yoru, for PS Vita.

The 5pb.-developed remake retains the same game systems of the original title, but departs from the sound novel concept for a light novel-esque story with illustrations.

Kamaitachi no Yoru: Rinne Saisei will launch for PS Vita in Japan on February 16 for 6,800 yen.

The game features illustrations by G-senjou no Maou and Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo‘s Alpha, and additional scenarios by Higurashi When They Cry‘s Ryukishi07.

sources: Gematsu; Famitsu online; Weekly Famitsu No. 1459

There already was an attempt to reboot the franchise in 2011. That game (Shin Kamaitachi No Yoru) was very faithful to the original games but told an entirely new story. This time, they are doing a full-on remake of the first game with added story scenarios.

As a big fan of the franchise I’d be interested in what other people think of the idea of remaking the 1994 game and the changed presentation/light-novel approach.

edit:

Famitsu Review Scores [ 8 / 8 / 8 / 8 ]

Tizoc

PC release when? Give us both the Americanized and OG Japanese versions please~

EDIT: Oh and I hate these generic aminu designs. Hopefully there'll be an option to play without character models as that's something I liked when I played it on iPhone.

Shizuka

This announcement wasn't anything to do with this, was it?

http://gematsu.com/2016/06/spike-chunsoft-teases-brand-new-ps-vita-title

I mean, I'm excited for the game because I've heard good things about this title (the original) and would like to try it on Vita, but I'm not holding out much hope of it coming west. I suppose a PC port makes it more viable.

What other version could they have been hinting back then? I thought it was the iOS release, but it makes a lot more sense if it was this one.

takoyaki

Expecting to be localized.

I think you're right. Doing a remake, modernizing the presentation (I love the old look, but it probably looks very dated for anyone who's new to the series), the good sales of Spike-Chun VNs on Steam/Vita, etc. A Steam version is very likely as well imo.

Also, thanks for your post about the game in the LRG thread, I had no idea a new Kamaitchi game was in the works.

xk0sm0sx

PC release when? Give us both the Americanized and OG Japanese versions please~

EDIT: Oh and I hate these generic aminu designs. Hopefully there'll be an option to play without character models as that's something I liked when I played it on iPhone.

There had been a big hoohaa in Japan over these designs replacing the shadow figures, but even the CEO has chipped in and said, as much as he desires the option as well, it will be too much work as it's not simply a matter of replacing the character art, but complete redraws.

Always wanted to check this game out.

I'm assuming that with Spike Chunsoft's teases on Twitter that there's a pretty good chance of this getting localized.

Shizuka

They're trying to remake the game and appeal to a new audience. I'm not sure it'll do all that well, but I'm hoping it'll be enough to warrant a localization, with a LRG print to boot.

Yasumi

Banned
They're trying to remake the game and appeal to a new audience. I'm not sure it'll do all that well, but I'm hoping it'll be enough to warrant a localization, with a LRG print to boot.
If it's Aksys, LRG wouldn't even be necessary.

I actually liked playing the localized version on the iPhone. I like the subtle Western references like the 3 girls in the ski lodge named after the well known Knicks players of the 90s.

I'm guessing they going for the Corpse Party and/or RPGMaker Japanese horror visual novel style we've been seeing as of late so I'd be very surprise if Spike doesn't localize this for Vita and PC.

Shizuka

5pb is developing this so I take it they want to have a Corpse Party hit on their hands with this one. So I'm pretty sure 5pb is definitely gonna shop this around for the West.

Spike Chunsoft is the publisher first and foremost, which is why I think they retaing the rights and will likely offer this one to western publishers.

Voliko

whoa. Loved this on iOS. Nice little mystery game. I would love to see it be longer.

The art looks above average for VN standards tbh. People have unrealistic expectations

takoyaki

The official 5pb website now features all the information for the Kamaitachi No Yoru Remake previously exclusive to the print version of Famitsu. There's a plot summary, profiles for all characters, etc. An idol group called "Erabareshi" will be doing the main theme for the game, I think that’s the song that plays during the 1st trailer.

http://5pb.jp/games/kamaitachi

Apparently they already received a Z rating for the game, so it looks like they will be turning up the gore quite a bit compared to the original game.

The approach worked for Corpse Party imo, so I'm cautiously optimistic this remake could turn out well and maybe find a new audience.

edit: about that CERO Z rating:

Comparison of the same scene from the 1994 game to the 2017 Remake

e293a8eaec84137fe0ee01ekm7.jpg

201c115989623c28a5a6attkzx.jpg

takoyaki

Famitsu Review Scores [ 8 / 8 / 8 / 8 ]

and this is the final boxart:
439133c6gnkff.jpg

-source: hokanko

EDIT: Translation of the Famitsu Review

Based on the game ”Kamaitachi no Yoru" from 1994, enhanced with new art and scenarios. You have to solve a series of murders while staying in the wintery mountains at the pension ”Spur" which is separated from the outside world.

Platform: PS Vita
Release: Feb 16
Price: ¥7344 incl. VAT
Genre: Visual Novel
Rating: 18+ [Cero Z]
Target Audience: Visual Novel fans, people who like suspense thrillers
Average Playtime: around 20h to clear the main route

Reviewer 1 (黒田):
While there are pros and cons [with the new style], the move away from blue silhouettes to illustrated characters gives it a fresh feeling. You will want to play the game just to see how this scenario has been remade. The voice actors put in skilled performances and leave a good impression. The sense of being there keeps growing with every scene and coupled with my curiosity about what would happen next, I was pulled into the story really effectively. The new enhanced scenario, which has been envisioned by Ryukishi07 is a hit. It's thrilling, gets your heart racing and in the end, I was deeply moved.

Reviewer 2 (芦田):
The characters are represented by illustrations instead of silhouettes. On the one hand, it makes it easier to grasp what's going on with them. On the other hand, I had the impression that the game lacked a bit of the eerie atmosphere and the chilly feeling of fear [from the original] since little was left to your imagination. The game revolves round mystery and suspense with a variety of branching scenarios that are intriguing to read and pull you into the game. Filling in the story by finishing story branches is enjoyable because
you can conveniently jump to each scene via a flowchart.

Reviewer 3 (本間):
The enjoyable room that was left to your imagination might have gone away when compared to the old silhouette character graphics, but the illustrations allow you to quickly make out who the characters are at any time which in turn makes it easier to keep your thoughts collected when you are trying to solve the mystery. But since you're always aware of the characters' movements and locations [throughout the story], I wonder if this version of Kamaitachi might have lost a bit [of what made the original so special]. The crime scenes are depicted in vivid detail and the game has more of a horror taste to it. The game has full-fledged system settings and let's you individually turn the voices of every character (including the main protagonist) on or off.

Reviewer 4 (内沢):
As a game meant for a new target audience, it's a very effective work. The illustrations and voice acting make it inviting, but it doesn't leave the player much room for imagination. At the same time, the images and voice acting enable a new kind of exciting thrill. The story still provides the same pleasure [as the original] with its unforeseen twist and turns. I wish that the game would have had better touch screen support and a more user-friendly flow chart. I also would have liked a more elaborately designed interface.

takoyaki

Update with some impressions now that the game is out in Japan
The Kamaitachi Remake tells the same story as the 1994 original, but while many lines are taken directly from the old game, the script is not a 1:1 copy. Scenes are expanded upon and/or slightly changed.

The voice acting makes it feel more modern and the cast is a good fit for most characters. The game let's you disable all voice acting or just the VO for certain characters (e.g. Touru, the main protagonist whose voice sounds younger than I had imagined him sounding while reading the old game). Another big plus is the voice acting for Kayama, a business man in his 50s. It's more fun to hear Kansai dialect (often translated to sound like a Southern US accent, e.g. in Banshee's Last Cry) spoken out loud than having to read it.

So far, the new music has largely consisted of remixes of old songs with new ones added to give it more variety. It's not quite as moody as the old music imo, but not bad either.

Like mentioned in the Famitsu review, the lack of any touch-screen controls makes no sense. When I played the 1994 original on Vita via PS1 classics, I used the system settings to map buttons to the touch screen. Turning pages via touching the screen is my preferred way of reading VNs and it's frankly baffling that the 2017 game doesn't give you at least that option despite a large settings menu that let's you fine-tune many other things.

I've only played a few hours, so I haven't made it to the side-stories yet. But the most recent Famitsu had an article that went into detail: The new game includes the side-stories from the SNES and PS1 version, another one that was previously exclusive to a phone app is included as well and the one new side-story is written by Ryukishi07 (Higurashi, Umineko) who's a self-proclaimed fan of Kamaitachi no Yoru.

Last but not least, the new character art; It's the biggest departure from the old games and I agree with the Famitsu reviews that it has its pros and cons. It's definitely more in line with other current VNs and I didn't mind the change as much as I thought I would; You get used to it pretty quickly. The backgrounds still largely consist of photos that were taken on location (they look very similar to the old ones, but I think they took all-new photos for this game), at times the photos are pretty stylized or painted over. They still sometimes clash a bit with the anime character art though.

Here's a couple of spoiler-free screencaps from the opening chapter, compared to the same scenes from the 1994 original:

The flow-chart is spoiler-free, you only see the scenes you've already completed on it:

Overall, the game feels like a fresh take on a classic VN that both newcomers and long-time fans can enjoy.
I hope that unlike previous games, it will get a proper localization now that the genre has grown in popularity.

Given the success of Danganronpa and Zero Time overseas, I can this being eyed up by publishers as potential localised material. I'd certainly buy it.

Since I played this for the first time on my phone, the character art is really throwing me off lol.

I really liked it though, I'd buy it if it came west

RRockman

Banned
I like the art but I did enjoy imaging what the characters looked like the first time around.

We ARE getting CGs for the gory bits right?

kunonabi

I'm playing through the wii virtual console version and I'm not sure I can reconcile what I have in my head with these more modern designs. I might pick it up dirt cheap but I won't go out of my way for it.

I think I saw this game played by Anno on Gamecenter CX, it looked really interesting, though it does seem that the original had a creepier and more mysterious atmosphere from the screenshots because you really didn't get to see any characters, just the scenery and stuff like the aftermath of a murder. Still looks interesting though.

Tizoc

So how many versions of the game are there again?
I've only played the Americanized ver. of the game.

takoyaki

So how many versions of the game are there again?
I've only played the Americanized ver. of the game.
Otogirisou (1992) and Kamaitachi no Yoru 1 (1994) on SNES stared off the whole “Sound Novel” thing in Japan that inspired many people who make Visual Novels today. Uchikoshi, Kodaka, Ryukishi07, etc. have all mentioned being heavily influenced by Kamaitachi no Yoru.

Kamaitachi no Yoru 1 was ported to PS1 and other systems (like GBA/iOS including the Americanized version "Banshee's Last Cry") over the years. It also started the original trilogy of games that features some returning characters.

Kamaitachi no Yoru 2 (2002, PS2/PSP) takes place on an old prison island, Kamaitachi no Yoru 3 (2006, only PS2) is the finale.

The first one works as a stand-alone game because it didn’t start out as a series with plans for sequels, two kinda works on it’s own except for the ending, three wouldn’t make much sense if you haven’t played 1&2.

In 2011, Shin Kamaitachi no Yoru was released on Vita and PS3. It’s a stand-alone game with no story connection to previous games but it still has an art-style that's similar to the original trilogy and the game is full of fun little nods to the old games.

And now in 2017, the Kamaitachi Remake “Kamaitachi no Yoru - Rinne Saisei" was released. It’s a remake of the first game with new art etc. that's meant to draw in new players.

I really liked 1, 2 and Shin. 3 is a bit of a mess imo.

I think I saw this game played by Anno on Gamecenter CX, it looked really interesting, though it does seem that the original had a creepier and more mysterious atmosphere from the screenshots because you really didn't get to see any characters, just the scenery and stuff like the aftermath of a murder. Still looks interesting though.
Yup, that’s a really fun episode. I think there is a subtitled version, just can’t find a YT link right now. This is the Japanese version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_610guCYI8

Another cool video I found early today is a video of someone visiting the real-life lodge where both the 1994 and 2017 versions were shot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm7Rdcml7Kc

We ARE getting CGs for the gory bits right?
It’s definitely gorier than the old games. And like mentioned above, it’s the first game in the series that got a Z rating.

Thanks for keeping the updates coming with this game.
Sure thing, I’m a big fan of the games and feel like they have flown under the radar for a long time because they didn’t get a localization back in the day.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I watched my friend play a bit of the SFC Kamaitachi no Yoru, though of course without knowing much Japanese it was hard to follow. Would be interested in a US release but like others have said, I prefer the moodier graphics of the older version... (and I actually like animu, I just don't think it's as fitting in this game).

Bluestone

Neo Member
I actually liked playing the localized version on the iPhone. I like the subtle Western references like the 3 girls in the ski lodge named after the well known Knicks players of the 90s.

I'm guessing they going for the Corpse Party and/or RPGMaker Japanese horror visual novel style we've been seeing as of late so I'd be very surprise if Spike doesn't localize this for Vita and PC.

I never thought anyone caught that. Most people just hate the fact that I "localized" it to Canada, etc. Maybe people don't really read much these days, but I put a lot of thought and heart into the writing. I am glad some enjoyed the experience. Remember, it's basically like writing a novel.

Top Bottom