• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamiya talks about Scalebound & Microsoft

Keinning

Because Kamyia doesn't want to burn the bridge as it's possible that Microsoft might come knocking on their door again.

It's called being professional.

Or maybe Microsoft haven't killed his dog like some people here think and he has nothing insidious to tell about them

I seriously doubt Kamiya would be willing to work with microsoft again if they had BRUTALLY KILLED his dream project like gaf believe they did.

Strings

Best quote IMO

"So an artist should not only draw artwork and a programmer should not only program code, but every member should look at the game we are making and contribute their ideas for how to make it better.”

The old Square pitchbook approach :(

That conspiracy theory that MS is the bad guy when it comes to Scalebound should probably die after people read this.

But of course it won't.

From Kamiya's words it looks good for MS and Platinum to partner again in the future I think. Sounds like platinum and MS both worked hard on it and it just didn't come together and Kamiya seems to admit that.

Shinji Mikami instilled an important philosophy in Kamiya while mentoring him at Capcom -- not to get hung up on trying to eliminate every bad aspect of a game, but instead to focus on making the good parts even better.
this is very apparent in his games

and they're better for it, i think

Yeah, this is pretty cool insight info.

Kent

Or maybe Microsoft haven't killed his dog like some people here think and he has nothing insidious to tell about them

I seriously doubt Kamiya would be willing to work with microsoft again if they had BRUTALLY KILLED his dream project like gaf believe they did.

That conspiracy theory that MS is the bad guy when it comes to Scalebound should probably die after people read this.

But of course it won't.

Having seen what the publishing and QA side of things look like in this industry, it's far, far more likely that milestones simply weren't met. The delays were likely greenlit on a combination of standard internal publishing policies and developer prestige. When they ultimately didn't live up to the new agreement (generally development milestones), the standard decision was made to cancel the project.

That's how it goes. I've seen it (and much worse) happen, and realistically-speaking, Platinum Games was doing quite a lot of business in those years in which it was in development, so it's very likely that this is the case rather than the publisher actively trying to sabotage the project (which makes business sense in almost no cases at all - especially not in ones where the sheer intent is to have a highly prestigious developer create a game for the purposes of strengthening the first-party's brand).

Arklite

Great piece, Platinum are one of the most exciting devs around today and they nailed Automata. It's surprising to read they seem unphased by Scalebound as it looked to be far and away their biggest project ever. It also always looked like a moving target though, mishmashing interesting ideas that started to look really strained by the final co-op showing. To me it seemed there were too many creative or objective forces stretching the project to uncertain directions.

But of course it won't.

From Kamiya's words it looks good for MS and Platinum to partner again in the future I think. Sounds like platinum and MS both worked hard on it and it just didn't come together and Kamiya seems to admit that.

I think it's funny how this thread is barely two pages, yet it seems like all the past Scalebound threads blew up. Not as much fun if it doesn't make Microsoft out to be the bad guy?

I loved Scalebound when I saw it at Gamescom... Even though it was rough I think they could get there but the road was just to bumpy.

Hope seeing more awesome games from them in the future because there are soms concerns about the company after this game was cancelled

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Lets rope in Kamia & crew for a new Dragon Dragoon / Drakengard lol. Seeing how they did a great job with Nier you would figure DD would be a perfect match considering what they have tech wise. Not to mention hilarious if they do go that route.

Caayn

Thanks for the link OP.
Wow it reads it too. I can listen to gaf threads now!
One Gaf audio thread a day. Keeps the sleep problems away.

But of course it won't.

When someone has set their mind to something it's not so easily changed by one article, sadly. They'll just move on to the next thing to be angry/upset/disagree with/etc. Just look at how this thread moves compared to the previous negative threads about Scalebound.

JimiNutz

Banned
Bottom line is that Scalebound just didn't look thay great every time it was shown.

Platinum aren't perfect, they make shit or mediocre games now and then and Scalebound looked like it was going that way so MS pulled the plug. If I feel sorry for anyone it's probably MS because of the money they wasted (although they have plenty of it so no huge loss there either).

I think it's funny how this thread is barely two pages, yet it seems like all the past Scalebound threads blew up. Not as much fun if it doesn't make Microsoft out to be the bad guy?

It is an article that only briefly touched upon MS and provide no new information on the how Scalebound was canceled.

Do you want a multi page thread on people armchair psychoanalyzing Kamiya's translated tone and the "vibe" he gives?

An article about Platinum's past and future is now wasted because of an excessive thread title that encourages people to make random "good or bad MS" guesses again.

Honestly, how often do we see devs openly bad mouth their publishers anyway?

Arklite

From what we saw of Scalebound, it looked like a game that didn't know what it wanted to be.

Yeah it was oddly unfocused. Not all of Platinum's work is stellar, but none of it is as piecemeal as Scalebound seemed. Perhaps what Platinum typically crafts and what Microsoft may have ultimately wanted didn't mesh well.

nicanica

FUCK

YES

What does Kamiya want to achieve with his next game? “More than anything,” he confirms, ”I want to make something that really waves the Kamiya banner proudly. A game where you will know instantly that it came from me.”
Hideki-Kamiya-Young-449x600.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

gogosox82

Bottom line is that Scalebound just didn't look thay great every time it was shown.

Platinum aren't perfect, they make shit or mediocre games now and then and Scalebound looked like it was going that way so MS pulled the plug. If I feel sorry for anyone it's probably MS because of the money they wasted (although they have plenty of it so no huge loss there either).

I would the cancellation hurt Platnium quite a bit. Pretty sure they laid off people because of it and they have no games upcoming probably because they focusing most of their attention on Scalebound. They don't have their deal with Activision anymore, Konami seemingly isn't interested in gaming let alone in a Revengence 2, and Scalebound was cancelled. If it wasn't for Neir being successful, they would be in a bad way financially. Cancellations are never good for dev studios and Platinum is no different.

_Clash_

Pretty awesome

love the part were Kamiya bears his game design soul via internal non compulsory presentation and he packs the place.

Now dedicated to make a true Kamiya experience with the approval of his team.

10/10

gimme

@MUWANdo

Banned

Thing is, select members of the press attended a closed-doors showing that revealed some secret feature that apparently made the game "click" and everyone who played that version was excited for it but nobody wants to discuss it in detail.

I don't care about the interpersonal drama, I just wanna know what the goddamn game was supposed to be.

I think their point was that Kamiya, traditionally, doesn't give a fuck. So if there was real fire there, it probably would have shown through.

Eh.

He kind of lashes out on twitter occasionally, but if you're sitting down and talking to him, he's not a yakuza or anything. He acts as professional as anyone else.

What is there really to discuss? Scalebounds cancellation was a giant shock. Of course it had a ton of pages. Everything has died down now.

Are you asking if I think it was still, at best, Microsoft's terrible publishing and mismanagement that caused this as the primary factor?

Because yes I still believe that.

leeh

So all that MS is fucking up canceling all these games!!!!! Was really wasted energy in this case. Over-ambitious and didn't work out.

No drama or fighting....This thread won't go past two pages.
Well predicted.

Is it possible that they just cancelled the name "Scalebound" and just turned it into something else? Or did they say they are completely not working with Ms?

Endo Punk

For a project of this size it sounds like MS were all in but Platinum with multiple games in development were not able to fully commit and kept missing deadlines. First time a multi-development approach failed them. Definitely need to reevaluate for the future.

Arklite

Is it possible that they just cancelled the name "Scalebound" and just turned it into something else? Or did they say they are completely not working with Ms?

The project Scalebound is over for sure. The article is about Kamiya moving on. No definitive on MSoft collaborations.

For a project of this size it sounds like MS were all in but Platinum with multiple games in development were not able to fully commit and kept missing deadlines. First time a multi-development approach failed them. Definitely need to reevaluate for the future.

The article doesn't say anything of Kamiya and his team not being committed or falling behind and I doubt that's the case unless the collaboration was not being handled well, and that's definitely a two sided problem.

David___

Banned

Platinum?

MS owns the code so they wouldn't be able to do that + I have to imagine that would be a good way to get into legal trouble.

MS also has no reason to cause this much of a ruckus just to change the name of the game

im_dany

(so it's not that they wasted 3-4 years on nothing)

Of course they didn't, while Microsoft was busy trying to market what essentially was an alpha-stage broken demo, they were developing and releasing Transformers Devastation, Star Fox Zero, TMNT and the PS4-exclusive Nier Automata.

Scalebound looked really bad from the start and if they killed it, it was because 3 years were not enough to make it work properly. Not a great loss IMHO, if the concept was good I bet they'll revive it later.

Platinum?

MS owns the code so they wouldn't be able to do that + I have to imagine that would be a good way to get into legal trouble.

MS also has no reason to cause this much of a ruckus just to change the name of the game
Yea, platinum.. I was thinking, maybe, it could have been the cancellation of that specific project and platinum were still working with ms on an exclusive, somehow. I dunno.. it didn't look that bad, cheesy, but not bad. No worse than some of these other games that come to fruition.

Now it seems MS is sitting on these assets and probably not doing anything with them.. sucks.

gamz

But of course it won't.

Notice is only two pages? Lol

Not surprised this thread is only 2 pages lol, if his words were different this would of been at least 10 pages by now. Oh well.

Looks like things were mutual and no bad blood between the two. Sometimes that's just the way of business.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Kamiya would never bad-mouth Microsoft, no matter what. First and foremost it'd be bad business going forward, it'd make nobody look good, and in the end both Platinum and MS already took the L on the endeavor, so there'd be no upside to it. This was an outcome that neither side would have wanted.

The fact of the matter is that only the people on the "inside" know precisely what went wrong, and although I'm pretty sure that everyone involved has his/her own opinion on who made the most egregious mistakes, broadcasting those views to the world would serve no purpose.

Kamiya taking a pragmatic, dignified, stance on the matter publicly, whilst focusing his energy on re-building team confidence and unity strikes me as excellent leadership.

Not surprised this thread is only 2 pages lol, if his words were different this would of been at least 10 pages by now. Oh well.

Looks like things were mutual and no bad blood between the two. Sometimes that's just the way of business.

Juicy and somewhat negative info always does well on gaf. I'm not sure what point any of you think you're making that isn't already known . We had a thread on positive people in the industry once that barely moved, we had that thread on net neutrality, it barely moved. Today (and yesterday's) hot topic of the day is Pokémon not being announced on the switch and how this may doom Nintendo yet again lol.

Some of you are tripping over yourselves about this two pages thing like you're onto something.

gamz

Juicy and somewhat negative info always does well on gaf. I'm not sure what point any of you think you're making that isn't already known . We had a thread on positive people in the industry once that barely moved, we had that thread on net neutrality, it barely moved. Today (and yesterday's) hot topic of the day is Pokémon not being announced on the switch and how this may doom Nintendo yet again lol.

And two 20 page threads about BC that I guess nobody cares about.

Back to this, yeah, as everyone normal thought sometimes projects don't pan out.

And two 20 page threads about BC that I guess nobody cares about.

Reread my post. Its a Sony exec commenting on BC. It's hot news and fanboy fodder. A chill story rarely gets much attention at all. It's something I've always disliked about gaf and Reddit, but it is what it is. I'm not sure why some of you take it to heart. Between your posts on that thread and your constant mentions of two pages in this one, you've come across just as obnoxious as those you're trying to critique. Anyhow, I've said what I've had to say, so I'll move right along.

Jumeira

Banned
MS + Kamiya could very well be working again then, kind of knew that earlier in the year when Phil said he'd be up for working with them again.

Just goes to show how easily people can hijack the truth and run with assumptions from thier arse, they done the same with Titanfall until we got the truth from Geoff.

Thank god for these pieces shedding light on partnerships and development, gamers can be toxic at times.

Trup1aya

MS + Kamiya could very well working again then, kind of knew that earlier in the year when Phil said he'd be up for working with them again.

Just goes to show how easily people can hijack the truth and run with assumptions from thier arse, they done the same with Titanfall until we got the truth from Geoff.

Thank god for these pieces shedding light on partnerships and development, gamers can be toxic at times.

Crazy how lengthy the Scalebound cancellation thread was- filled with negativity aimed at MS.

And this thread is just a few pages long.

gamz

Reread my post. Its a Sony exec commenting on BC. It's hot news and fanboy fodder. A chill story rarely gets much attention at all. It's something I've always disliked about gaf and Reddit, but it is what it is. I'm not sure why some of you take it to heart. Between your posts on that thread and your constant mentions of two pages in this one, you've come across just as obnoxious as those you're trying to critique. Anyhow, I've said what I've had to say, so I'll move right along.

Cool. Thanks for the critique and have a wonderful day.

See, nothing but normal shit happening. But this inforamtion will still be ignored by people who want to use the cancellation as a bullet point for why they hate ms/xbox.

i hope they regroup sometime in the future and work on something again! FEEL THE POWER

Top Bottom