• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kansa Gov. Brownback: Tax cuts are working, but economy still needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

Gov. Sam Brownback offered two divergent views of the Kansas economy Friday, at once giving his tax cuts credit for an improved business and labor climate in the state, while at the same time blaming the state’s sagging revenues on poor economic conditions throughout the region.

Brownback made those comments during a rare and wide-ranging discussion with reporters in his inner office, during which he also talked about the recent primary elections, his views about Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump, and the prospects of establishing a dental school at the University of Kansas Medical Center in Kansas City, Kan.

His views about the state of the economy, and the relative success of his tax policies, will be the focus of debate in 2017, when a new, and likely more moderate-leaning Legislature comes into office.

Meanwhile, Brownback repeatedly shrugged off suggestions made by many other observers that the defeat of so many conservative Republicans in the Aug. 2 primary was a repudiation of him or his administration. Instead, he suggested voters were frustrated about the budget and school finance.

“Generally it’s school funding, is the issue that’s cited,” he said. “That’s the frustrating piece. Are they frustrated that we’ve improved the pension system in the state? Generally it’s K-12 funding, and that overall during my administration has gone up, and still is higher than when I started.”

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2016/aug/12/brownback-tax-cuts-are-working-economy-still-needs/

As a reminder, Kansas voters reelected Brownback in 2014.

"If we can just cut our money flow we will start to make money."Honestly watching a republican play a grand strategy like EU 4 would be interesting.

You have to give it time to trickle down! Shame that Australian poster is banned, I want to see him defend the Kansas economy like in the last thread.

Jonbo298

Gov. Sam Brownback offered two divergent views of the Kansas economy Friday, at once giving his tax cuts credit for an improved business and labor climate in the state, while at the same time blaming the state’s sagging revenues on poor economic conditions throughout the region.

Kansas: It's not our fault, it's everybody else's fault™

VariantX

"If we can just cut our money flow we will start to make money."Honesty watching a republican play a grand strategy like EU 4 would be interesting.

Perhaps they were trying to create some sort of "money vacuum" that would draw money in from...wherever like when air rushes in to fill empty space??

Conservatives in Kansas who like him could be dirt poor and all living in trailers; they'd still be convinced the tax cuts are working and the economy is improving.

Tommy DJ

You have to give it time to trickle down! Shame that Australian poster is banned, I want to see him defend the Kansas economy like in the last thread.

If his performance in that thread trashing our (Australia's) godawful treatment of minorities and refugees is any indication, its not difficult to defend Kansas when you're basically a robot who can only think of things in pure statistics.

If his performance in that thread trashing our (Australia's) godawful treatment of minorities and refugees is any indication, its not difficult to defend Kansas when you're basically a robot who can only think of things in pure statistics.

The problem I saw wasn't even that -- if he thought of things in pure statistics, he should've come to the exact OPPOSITE conclusion he did with regards to Kansas'...unfortunate situation. I mean, seeing as how he's Australian, he must've been accidentally looking at graphs upside-down!

statham

trickle down? roofles I think studies show If you tax them high, they will expand to make more money, instead of cutting taxes that they don't have to do anything to get more money.

zer0das

Banned
"If we can just cut our money flow we will start to make money."Honestly watching a republican play a grand strategy like EU 4 would be interesting.

I always have thought it would be funny for Republicans to play Victoria 2, they'd have to come to terms with liberal policies increasing immigration, which is essential for any thriving nation.

But then they'd probably just play Hearts of Iron IV and come to the conclusion Fascism is the greatest invention ever so ehhhh.

LosDaddie

Banned
To understand this mindset is to understand that a majority of conservatives view all taxes as theft, and would prefer a consumption tax (Fair Tax) system.

Tommy DJ

The problem I saw wasn't even that -- if he thought of things in pure statistics, he should've come to the exact OPPOSITE conclusion he did with regards to Kansas'...unfortunate situation.

Kansas' tax cuts are working if your statistics are simply based on a very simplistic view of the state's declining unemployment rate, economic growth, and relatively decent numbers of business startups in a complete vacuum.

I'm on my phone and can't remember the thread terribly well but I'll be damned if that poster didn't argue those two things and how the combination of the two things will make Kansas into a midwestern superpower in something like 50 years. Judging by how he thinks that economics only has one true correct answer to every problem, regardless of differences in economy, political situation, and geographical location, seeing Kansas' tax cuts as successful is something a robot would make.

For fleshy human beings, waiting 50 years for Brownback's master plan to work while public service funding gets siphoned off isn't a good thing for the individual, community, or state.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Tax cuts raise revenue?

Cut taxes to zero, infinite revenue!

tumblr_n55va1kHS41tryhndo1_500.gif

AYF 001

I always have thought it would be funny for Republicans to play Victoria 2, they'd have to come to terms with liberal policies increasing immigration, which is essential for any thriving nation.

But then they'd probably just play Hearts of Iron IV and come to the conclusion Fascism is the greatest invention ever so ehhhh.
"The engine is rigged! Rigged I tell you!"

Also I doubt they actually have enough strategic intelligence to form any alliances or coordinate any offensives by themselves. From what I've seen of them playing, they just get all of their buddies to play with them and turn all of their countries fascist. Art imitating life, huh?

Just wait till automation decimates the job market.

I swear the people that don't see merit in social safety nets are going to be in for rough times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom