• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye's ‘My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy’ was originally called ‘Donda’s Boy’

Malyse

Kanye West‘s classic album ‘My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy’ was originally called ‘Donda’s Boy’, according to reports.

West released the record in November 2010, with a former intern at his label Def Jam now revealing that when Kanye first played the album it had a completely different title and feel.

Rory Farrell told the A Waste Of Time podcast that the album originally went by the name ‘Donda’s Boy’ (West’s mother Donda passed away in 2007) and consisted of ten guest-less tracks, nine of which were ten minutes long and one (‘Runaway’) stretching to 20 minutes.

“I was in meetings that interns were not supposed to be in,” Farrell said, describing how West turned up at the Def Jam office and demanded that everyone be wearing suits. “Everyone comes into the office looking like a terrible funeral,” he added, describing a scene where Kanye starts to drink from a medieval goblet before the meeting begins.

Farrell continued: “He then takes out his laptop and starts playing ‘My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy’. At this time, it was called ‘Donda’s Boy’, I don’t know if that ever went out but it was called ‘Donda’s Boy’… It was all Kanye. ‘My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy’ but it was just Kanye West [with no featured guests]. And it was amazing.”

https://soundcloud.com/awasteoftime/121-rory-farrell

@43 minutes

Dr.Acula

Banned
While people may argue over if MBDTF was peak Kanye, it was definitely before he started backsliding. I'd love to hear this.

West turned up at the Def Jam office and demanded that everyone be wearing suits. ”Everyone comes into the office looking like a terrible funeral," he added, describing a scene where Kanye starts to drink from a medieval goblet before the meeting begins.

He is a certified asshole and a idiot.........but you gotta love thks shit right here.

Stay free Kanye!

royalan

Reading this breaks my heart, because at the end of the day Kanye really is just a boy who has never properly coped with the loss of his mother.

Reminds me of his video game idea that was basically his mother's journey to heaven.

GIVE NOW.

But, yeah, all these prototype albums that end up getting described sound ridiculous and need to be heard to be believed.

I want the 2 hour long Yeezus, with the 20 minute long Blood on the Leaves, OG Bound 2, God Level.

I want "So Help Me God", the cookout album with the darker trap tone that "All Day" promised, with "Can U Be".

You're edgy.
It's funny cuz his avatar's an asshole.

120v

i always considered 808s his "i'm hurt" album and MBDTF as his "i'm back, bitches" album. then Yeezus was like, nah i'm still dealing with shit

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I wonder if those songs were from the Hawaii sessions or not. Legendary hip-hop sessions TBH. Kanye making A-list and D-list stars alike hit the gym, do charity work, and eat together on a daily basis.

GOAT.

i always considered 808s his "i'm hurt" album and MBDTF as his "i'm back, bitches" album. then Yeezus was like, nah i'm still dealing with shit
I've never thought about it this way but you're right.

Icolin

Banned
Obviously satisfied with the album we did get (MBDTF is my favourite Ye album), but I'm very curious about this.

Top Bottom