• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Karigurashi no Arrietty (The Borrowers) |OT| Ghibli's newest (non-Miyazaki)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonQ

Dali said:
Earthsea is terrible with no redeeming qualities. There's literally only 20 seconds of that movie worth watching.

I wouldn't go that far, but it's a bad thing when the film's greatest revelation is that Hayao Miyazaki is a terrible, terrible father despite making other people's children happy for 90 minutes at a time.

GCX

There's a 5 part Arrietty documentary by NTV on Youtube, only in Japanese though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMmoJC6VK20

In part 5 Miyazaki says to Yonebayashi something along these lines: "You did really well. It was three times better than I thought. You better take a rest for awhile. It is not a shameful work even if we show it to anyone. I felt a director appeared at last. I was relieved. It was really good. I cried."

Gabyskra

Banned
I just saw it at the theater.

That was absolutely magnificent.

The best movie I've seen in ages, all genres included.

I want to see it again.

Meadows

Banned
Shouta said:
I definitely want to check this one out. Ponyo didn't look like it would appeal to me so I passed it up but this looks great.

I don't normally like anime, my experience goes as far as Dragonball Z and Pokemon as a kid, and Spirited Away/Totoro/Kiki.

However, the art in Ponyo is AMAZING. The colours are wonderful and vivid and the story/characters are charming and likeable.

Oh, and even though I'm an anime noob, I still know to watch these things with subtitles, and they still conveyed the story well.

My Ghibil rankings:

1) Ponyo
2) Spirited Away
3) Kiki
4) Totoro

Foxix Von

I can't wait for disney to get off their fat asses and bring this over.

I wonder what the chances of them actually hiring actual voice talent rather than shooting for traditional actors for the names are. Not saying that the acting is previous films is bad or anything but there really wasn't a need to have Miley in Ponyo...

Blader

Foxix said:
I can't wait for disney to get off their fat asses and bring this over.

I wonder what the chances of them actually hiring actual voice talent rather than shooting for traditional actors for the names are. Not saying that the acting is previous films is bad or anything but there really wasn't a need to have Miley in Ponyo...

The dub cast consists of Bridgit Mendler, Will Arnett, Amy Poehler, David Henrie, and Carol Burnett.

Source

wtf 2012. If it was at least the Blu Ray release for 2/2012 I'd be ok with it though.

Studio Ghibli and Disney needs to hurry up with a Princess Mononoke Blu Ray release as well! Ghibli is worst than Pixar when it comes to releasing their goods!

Yoshiya

The Storyteller said:
It feels good to be getting something early for once. How does it feel Americans? :D
The Disney delay could easily lead to a delay here. Madman may only want to do a theatrical run on a film with potential mainstream appeal like this with a Disney dub to back it up. Would not be surprised at all to see that '2011' disappear in the coming days.

Well that sucks. We did end up getting (that POS) Tales From Earthsea long before America, so I'll hold out hope for an earlier release for this one too.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
When I first heard about this I didn't even notice the 2012. That really sucks. Especially since it would be ready far sooner.

Won't shock me at all if the Japanese BR has the dub on it.

Mareg

Euro-gaf can already enjoy in dubbed or subbed form.
I'm going to seek out a copy tonight. My little girl goes crazy for Ghibli's anime. Ponyo is probably her favorite. I hope this one is going to charm her yet again.

/XX/

Such a lovely, lovely film! I hope for another Mr. Yonebayashi project, on his own, to see how he stands by himself, without working in a Hayao Miyazaki's idea, and then experience what he is capable of.

Some thoughts derived from my first viewing of the movie; for much that we try to enclosure a specific timeline or instance and put it on hold, freeze it, unrelated there to any other, it is always completely useless, because life goes on unstoppable, and a story never ends as is presented.

We only see the fraction of an instant in which Arrietty, Shō and the rest of characters interact for a non-decisive moment. The irresoluteness of this, like we are witnessing something inevitable as the family of Borrowers finally move from Ms. Maki's house in search of another place to live in. This movie seems to me like a fragile peace, a brief moment in their lives we see here, no roots are permanent, memories that fade is what all this leaves, pretty melancholic in general, but all the characters act with such a integrity under this circumstances that eventually come as unnatural for me, maybe this is habitual in certain movies produced by the studio, especially in their adventure-genre films, but I don't find it fitting here in the given setting.

For the technical merits, I think that those detailed backgrounds and scenery, those carefully textured and silky near backgrounds complemented by that mildly colorful and sharp scenery are simply magnificent for me. The animation is amazingly clever and with energy when it needs to be. The use of music during scenes and particularly transitions is very appropriated and creates a luring ambiance.

watkinzez

I quite enjoyed it. Great debut from Yonebayashi; so many great touches in the animation. Seeing the world on a different scale and how Arrietty and her father move through the environment is such a joy to watch. The sound design especially really puts you in their shoes.

/XX/ said:
Such a lovely, lovely film! I hope for another Mr. Yonebayashi project, on his own, to see how he stands by himself, without working in a Hayao Miyazaki's idea, and then experience what he is capable of.

Some thoughts derived from my first viewing of the movie; for much that we try to enclosure a specific timeline or instance and put it on hold, freeze it, unrelated there to any other, it is always completely useless, because life goes on unstoppable, and a story never ends as is presented.

We only see the fraction of an instant in which Arrietty, Shō and the rest of characters interact for a non-decisive moment. The irresoluteness of this, like we are witnessing something inevitable as the family of Borrowers finally move from Ms. Maki's house in search of another place to live in. This movie seems to me like a fragile peace, a brief moment in their lives we see here, no roots are permanent, memories that fade is what all this leaves, pretty melancholic in general, but all the characters act with such a integrity under this circumstances that eventually come as unnatural for me, maybe this is habitual in certain movies produced by the studio, especially in their adventure-genre films, but I don't find it fitting here in the given setting.

For the technical merits, I think that those detailed backgrounds and scenery, those carefully textured and silky near backgrounds complemented by that mildly colorful and sharp scenery are simply magnificent for me. The animation is amazingly clever and with energy when it needs to be. The use of music during scenes and particularly transitions is very appropriated and creates a luring ambiance.

I was initially shocked to hear Sho bring up the concept of extinction to Arrietty, but it brought such a weight to the film that it might be my favourite scene. It stays in the back of your mind when Sho runs barely a minute before his heart starts to struggle, and yet it doesn't act as a ticking time bomb to catastrophe that other films would rely on for tension. It merely reminds you of the frailty of both their lifes and gives a poignancy to what is otherwise a jog to the back door.

/XX/

watkinzez said:
I was initially shocked to hear Sho bring up the concept of extinction to Arrietty, but it brought such a weight to the film that it might be my favourite scene. It stays in the back of your mind when Sho runs barely a minute before his heart starts to struggle, and yet it doesn't act as a ticking time bomb to catastrophe that other films would rely on for tension. It merely reminds you of the frailty of both their lifes and gives a poignancy to what is otherwise a jog to the back door.
That is what I was talking about! The film doesn't revolve around the outcome of specific situations, like Shō's health problems for example, but only give them as the background to understand the feelings of the characters, like the insensibility that Shō, possibly caused by his frustration in the face of a possible death in that future operation, demonstrates in the scene you mentioned.

As for mentioning a particular scene of the movie, I'd like to say that the scene where a inmmobile Shō directly sees Arrietty as she helps her father to take out that tissue, and then Shō speaks to her it is, for me, amazing. How Arrietty tries to act calmly but knows she ruined the 'borrowing' outing and seems scared, shaking nerviously, reacts hesitant and almost crying commences to leave, and at the same time she hears Shō talking softly but we don't see his full face expression and only his lips moving fluently, emphasizing his strangeness from the perspective of Arrietty, the distance between them, but he keeps talking friendly as he don't wants to bother her and acts intrigued... it is visually engaging and very explicative, but so contradictory its beautiful, very beautiful for me.

I hope I have explained myself right!

Meier

Was hoping the bump meant some more info on the US release.. glad to hear that more people are liking it though. Looking forward to it!

Aww, missed that this won't be out until Feb 2012.. damn. Excited about Will Arnett and Amy Poehler doing voices together though!

wolfgare

Adamm said:
My blu-ray was shipped on th 16th, but still not arrived :(
Same day mine was shipped, but I got it in the mail on Saturday. Hopefully it gets there soon, you're in for a real treat ;)

/XX/

sprsk said:
JP blu-ray has engrish subtitles.
Yeah! Japanese, English, Korean, French and Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese) subtitles. The encoding of the video files and subsequent image quality is fantastic, in line with the good work Panasonic Hollywood Laboratory (PHL), as well as Panasonic Authoring Center Roppongi (PACR) in the authoring of the Japanese releases, has been doing for the Blu-ray GHIBLI COMPLETE COLLECTION.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
BlazingDarkness said:
Also, the art is really top class Ghibli stuff here, amazing to look at

Said in the anime thread, but I could watch a 90 minute film that was just a nature film animated by Ghibli, their background art is just amazing with all the tiny details.

arrietty-bd.jpg

Jesus, I love these Japanese Ghibli collection bluray boxes. They make the US/EU ones look like a joke, I need to get them all one day.

GCX

I saw this a few days ago and it is indeed a FANTASTIC movie.

The production values are just amazing and the attention to detail is unmatched. You can see the touch of Miyazaki's screenplay in all those little details that no one else bothers showing to the audience but which make the movie much more alive. Some scenes have some really nice and expressive animation as well.

Overall the movie feels like a Totoro/Kiki era Miyazaki movie with a strong melancholic undertone. It's a simple story but it's handled really well. The soundtrack is also really beautiful.

Yonebayashi seems to have bright future ahead as a Ghibli director. This would've had a strong change in the animation Oscar race if Disney bothered releasing it this year.

Troidal

BlazingDarkness said:
Just watched this
Really, really nice film

:D

Sho seemed a bit sinister and creepy at times lol

I liked it more than Ponyo

Yeah I was like WTF when he started talking about
extinction...
so cruel of him XD

I actually liked Ponyo better, but that's probably because I'm not so much in the mood of melancholic films these days. I like happy films right now! :D

Munin

GCX said:
I saw this a few days ago and it is indeed a FANTASTIC movie.

The production values are just amazing and the attention to detail is unmatched. You can see the touch of Miyazaki's screenplay in all those little details that no one else bothers showing to the audience but which make the movie much more alive. Some scenes have some really nice and expressive animation as well.

Overall the movie feels like a Totoro/Kiki era Miyazaki movie with a strong melancholic undertone. It's a simple story but it's handled really well. The soundtrack is also really beautiful.

Yonebayashi seems to have bright future ahead as a Ghibli director. This would've had a strong change in the animation Oscar race if Disney bothered releasing it this year.

I read somewhere last year that Yonebayashi wants to do his own stuff independently of Ghibli or something now, not sure, but yeah if that is the case then the "new directors" problem of Ghibli still exists especially if Goro's movie turns out to be another disappointment.

Takao

Banned
I'm surprised that no one mentioned this, in the UK Arrietty will have a different dub than the one Disney will release here.

"The British dub, which is due in theaters on July 29, will feature Saoirse Ronan (The Lovely Bones/Atonement) and Tom Holland (one of the boy actors who took the lead role in the stage musical version of Billy Elliott). The cast also includes Mark Strong (Green Lantern/Sherlock Holmes), Olivia Colman (Peep Show), Phyllida Law (The Time Machine), and Geraldine McEwan (Marple). " - ANN

Pooh pushed the film back to 2012 in North America, but I'm guessing the British like this slot for their Ghibli films a lot.

BlazingDarkness said:
Sho seemed a bit sinister and creepy at times lol
I got a strong Satoshi Kon vibe when
Sho sees Arrietty on her first 'borrowing'. Time slows down and it pulls into his lips, its really atmospheric. That and the moment with the crow stuck in the window, it's really intense
stuff I haven't really seen much of in a Ghibli film before and I'd like to see more of it.
The soundtrack is beautiful, the english vocals really work I thought, and I got misty eyed during the credits sequence. It's so sweet.

Takao said:
I'm surprised that no one mentioned this, in the UK Arrietty will have a different dub than the one Disney will release here.

"The British dub, which is due in theaters on July 29, will feature Saoirse Ronan (The Lovely Bones/Atonement) and Tom Holland (one of the boy actors who took the lead role in the stage musical version of Billy Elliott). The cast also includes Mark Strong (Green Lantern/Sherlock Holmes), Olivia Colman (Peep Show), Phyllida Law (The Time Machine), and Geraldine McEwan (Marple). " - ANN

Pooh pushed the film back to 2012 in North America, but I'm guessing the British like this slot for their Ghibli films a lot.

Sounds like a better voice cast than the Disney dub (surprisingly). Saoirse Ronan will be great.

I should be doing hw said:
arrietty-bd.jpg

Jesus, I love these Japanese Ghibli collection bluray boxes. They make the US/EU ones look like a joke, I need to get them all one day.
The German ones are actually pretty similar.

bums6k33zxgzio57b.jpg
bums6o75wicehworb.jpg
bums6xfhyzm2ipx7b.jpg

watkinzez

Takao said:

Guess Optimum couldn't bother waiting for Disney either! That's hilarious.

wolfgare

I know my subpar screen captures don't do the film much justice (Haven't quite figured out how to get the best out of my new HD PVR). But, Karigurashi no Arietti is extremely beautiful to watch and definitely up to "Ghibli" standards as far as story line goes. Seriously
I was almost in tears when Sho brings up extinction of the Borrower's species and when Arrietty gives Sho her hairclip/holds his giant finger when she's about to leave :\

Ezalc

Shouta said:
I definitely want to check this one out. Ponyo didn't look like it would appeal to me so I passed it up but this looks great.

Good don't watch it. I love all the more well known Ghibli films but fuck I hate Ponyo with a passion. If I was younger and saw this film I think I would like it more. Maybe it was the dub that ruined it but I just flat out hated the movie mostly due to how much of a little bitch Ponyo is. Fuck that fish. She's an asshole.

The Borrowers on the other hand was excellent. I also think it's up there with some of the better Ghibli movies. Some of the scenes were very powerful especially one that another poster talked about here in the thread. I was kind of disappointed in the ending though, but still it's a wonderful film.

Munin

I can see how someone who likes Ghibli in general might not like Ponyo as much, but to flat out hate it...eh..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom