• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Karl Pilkington to write and star in new sitcom

The idea of a scripted Karl Pilkington is just fucking wrong. Even if he is the one writing it.

Dude has been scripted or playing on his dumbassery since the last run of their old XFM show.

The first few years of that was pure gold, the podcast just rehashed that.

Don't get me wrong, I like an idiot abroad etc but the setup is kind of like Top Gear, it's entertaining but it's scripted or forced as hell.

I have a feeling that this will end up like that sitcom in Extras...... Are you having a laff? :(

I just want him to do more adventures. He could head up a Top Gear style show but without the focus on cars (although I suppose in many ways that's what The Grand Tour has become).

mjc

I don't think this is the best idea, but whatever.

Just do more podcasts. (I know that probably won't happen..Gervais and Merchant really don't talk much anymore right?)

Slowdive

Banned

Just do more podcasts. (I know that probably won't happen..Gervais and Merchant really don't talk much anymore right?)

Karl said they still talk and haven't fallen out. Merchant said recently he'd do the podcasts again if asked. When Ricky was asked if they'd do podcasts again he said Karl had retired, obviously not the case now.

Ricky recently did a pilot for a new radio show if people didn't know: https://vimeo.com/228488791

_Rob_

Karl said they still talk and haven't fallen out. Merchant said recently he'd do the podcasts again if asked. When Ricky was asked if they'd do podcasts again he said Karl had retired, obviously not the case now.

Ricky recently did a pilot for a new radio show if people didn't know: https://vimeo.com/228488791

Man, it would be so good to have them back doing podcasts! I've been listening to them on YouTube again recently, and they've aged pretty well, still make me laugh.

Guess eating knobs at night ain't payin' the bills anymore.

In all seriousness, I will choose cautious optimism here.

EDIT: ARGH, missed funnier post above. I am truly An Idiot on a Board.

Tagg9

Damn, I don't know how I feel about this..
On one hand, I love Karl and will definitely watch it. But on the other hand... Scripted Karl... I don't know... The reason he's so damn funny is because he's unscripted.

I wish Ricky and Steve were involved too.

Come on, a lot of his comments in the travel shows were obviously scripted. Karl is a gifted comedian, just in a very different way than most.

Dalek

The idea of a scripted Karl Pilkington is just fucking wrong. Even if he is the one writing it.

Absolutely.

And this reminds me to listen to the podcasts all over again. Some of the greatest treasures of all time.

Edit: actually you know what would be great is if this is some sort of prank from Stephen and Ricky on Karl to make him think he’s filming a sitcom but then they just start secretly introducing stuff to fuck with him unbeknownst to him (like Windy City Heat)

Hopefully Ricky Gervais doesn't pop up and ruin everything every 10 minutes.
The further away that cunt is from, well, anything, the better.

Man ... what a terrible opinion lol.

I'm not sure I'm gonna dig this. Half the charm of idiot abroad was that he was cynical while getting to see some of the coolest shit in the world.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
OOOHH CHIMPANZEE THAT!

Fucking LOL

He should get Steven and Ricky in on this.

Absolutely.

And this reminds me to listen to the podcasts all over again. Some of the greatest treasures of all time.

Edit: actually you know what would be great is if this is some sort of prank from Stephen and Ricky on Karl to make him think he's filming a sitcom but then they just start secretly introducing stuff to fuck with him unbeknownst to him (like Windy City Heat)

This would be the best thing ever.

I think it's pretty obvious they don't want to do stuff together any longer. I think the theory is Karl got sick of Ricky and Merchant fell out with him when Ricky made Life on the Road using a character steven had a hand In. Karl and Merchant only really did stuff together because of Ricky

When asked about more podcasts Ricky said he finds them funny still but feels Karl is more educated and worldly now and they just wouldn't work.

zsynqx

Karl and Ricky don't seem to talk much either.

Slowdive

Banned
I think it's pretty obvious they don't want to do stuff together any longer. I think the theory is Karl got sick of Ricky and Merchant fell out with him when Ricky made Life on the Road using a character steven had a hand In. Karl and Merchant only really did stuff together because of Ricky

When asked about more podcasts Ricky said he finds them funny still but feels Karl is more educated and worldly now and they just wouldn't work.

Karl and Ricky don't seem to talk much either.

Karl said recently they all still talk regularly, they just don't meet often.

KillLaCam

Banned
I love Karl but I don't think Karl reading off of a script written by himself will be entertaining. He's entertaining when he's actually being himself

Slowdive

Banned
Promo pic:

Gm2TnmY.jpg

Top Bottom