• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Kart Attack' (PSN/XBLA/PC) Revealed

Everdred

twinturbo2 said:
Actually, certain karts can max out at 100-plus MPH.
As for this, I'll be looking out for this one. XBLA needs some decent racing titles, and this and Gripshift will fit that bill nicely. I actually like the realistic slant this game is taking, I could never get into Mario Kart anyways.
Actually, I was kidding.

Satter

Banned
IMG_5782.jpg

Mario? Peach? Bowser? Photoshoppers, do your best.

BuRT!

Holy awesome! A go-kart racing sim, I've been longing for one of these bad boys since my axel cracked and I lost the gold to Stephen Goldstein during the 2003 Kart-a-thon Race in Nebraska. The glory will be mine, steve.

wait, what? wheres the banana peels?

lexi

Banned
strange_booj said:
Karts max out at 12 MPH.

Um, I'm actually go-karting this Friday, and the karts have a top speed of 90km/h. They're fast, especially considering how close to the ground you are.

terrene

Banned
Totally nice graphics, especially for a cross-platform downloadable game, but ... no weapons? Not even wacky ones? Pass.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
lockii said:
Um, I'm actually go-karting this Friday, and the karts have a top speed of 90km/h. They're fast, especially considering how close to the ground you are.

and they can fucking corner! i hope this turns out as good as it looks.

Bear with me for a moment on this...

For me, one issue that makes racing sims more challenging than their real life counterparts is the lack of g-forces and feedback through the steering wheel. Instead of using the information that your hands and body are feeling to judge the grip envelope of the tires, you have to make an estimation purely visually/aurally. This is bearable in games with racecars, thanks to the size of the wheelbase, giving a slow the rotation of the car and time to react to the onscreen visuals, but a kart game? I'm not so sure. Due to a kart's wheelbase, it tends to snap very quickly, something your hands will feel and correct way way before there's any graphical indication of your mistake displayed on screen.

So, I'm wondering if Blimey will fiddle with some of the kart physics so as to make the game more accessible/user friendly.

Anyway, I'm all for a realistic kart game, has their been one before? I can't think of any (apart from user created content of PC sims), although I think Sega had a semi-sim arcade game at one time.

Dragmire

I wouldn't mind trying a kart racer without weapons. The cheap weapons in the Mario Kart series have gotten pretty old. But I find the realistic look of Kart Attack a little bland. Obviously, some people prefer realism like that, which I can understand, but I only like realism in certain kinds of games.

Bit-Bit

Jesus Christ the graphics whores shows their colors in this thread. No one knows how well it plays. It's just your everyday kart game with nothing new to the table. Yet because it looks so good, people are already labeling it as a good game will that they will buy it.

Makes me sick.

Dead Man

marvelharvey said:
Bear with me for a moment on this...

For me, one issue that makes racing sims more challenging than their real life counterparts is the lack of g-forces and feedback through the steering wheel. Instead of using the information that your hands and body are feeling to judge the grip envelope of the tires, you have to make an estimation purely visually/aurally. This is bearable in games with racecars, thanks to the size of the wheelbase, giving a slow the rotation of the car and time to react to the onscreen visuals, but a kart game? I'm not so sure. Due to a kart's wheelbase, it tends to snap very quickly, something your hands will feel and correct way way before there's any graphical indication of your mistake displayed on screen.

So, I'm wondering if Blimey will fiddle with some of the kart physics so as to make the game more accessible/user friendly.

That's actually a really good point, Karts are snappy little things, and having to correct visually could lead to some real frustration if they don't 'arcade' the handling a little.

Bit-Bit said:
Jesus Christ the graphics whores shows their colors in this thread. No one knows how well it plays. It's just your everyday kart game with nothing new to the table. Yet because it looks so good, people are already labeling it as a good game will that they will buy it.

Makes me sick.
Oh shut up. Your tears could not get any more bitter.

Loudninja

Bit-Bit said:

Makes me sick.

nm

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
hie said:
huh?

the game will look the same across the board...
I don't have a 360, so I'm just hoping that there aren't less maps or something because of it.

Bit-Bit

Woops, maybe I should say that I was kidding.

I thought I was being sarcastic enough. I was just joking people. There aren't really that many kart sims.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Loudninja

Bit-Bit said:
Woops, maybe I should say that I was kidding.

I thought I was being sarcastic enough. I was just joking people. There aren't really that many kart sims.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Its pretty damn hard to detect that type of stuff over the internet,

RiverBed

Banned
this must be what a Kart game would look like if Polyphony Digital made it.
I am impressed. I thought the pics were from real-life at first. but the question is; is a realistic kart game fun? I thought its the arcady feel that made them fun.

RiverBed said:
this must be what a Kart game would look like if Polyphony Digital made it.
I am impressed. I thought the pics were from real-life at first. but the question is; is a realistic kart game fun? I thought its the arcady feel that made them fun.

Anything can be fun if you are a good developer. There are fun realistic sports games, racing games, etc. Why would kart racing be any different?

Although I recognize there is a realism line. I would hope the game is semi-realistic but still accessible like any smart videogame is.

Odrion

Banned
Bit-Bit said:

Makes me sick.
For once I agree with this guy. I am sick and tired of all these goddamn realistic kart racing simulations.

Agent X

Those are some good looking screens, almost photorealistic. I'd be interested in seeing how large (in capacity) the game is when it's released, to still maintain that level of graphical detail.

Sean

Banned
XBLA is definitely in need of a good driving game. Mad Tracks, Novadrome, Yaris.... yikes! :lol

I'd like an arcade style racer though, not really into sim games. It does look very nice though especially for a download title.

neptunes

I wonder why they chose a realistic art style

other than driving in go-karts, what is going to separate this game from other driving games?

kbear

Wow.. looks amazing. The environments and track especially look great.

I wonder why they chose a realistic art style

other than driving in go-karts, what is going to separate this game from other driving games?
I think that's enough

There's separate motorcycle racing games, Nascar, Formula 1, etc...

RiverBed

Banned
typing 'not-touched' on the pics make me feel skeptical. that and Live's size limitation. I can't see such a game being under 150M- unless it is really limited.

as always, need vid to feel comfortable.

God what's with all the "Do want" I swear one person says it then 2 then everybody starts replying with same lame meme. As far as the game goes they might add whacky stuff. It could be an alternate mode of play of some sort with another mode being more realistic. Either way XBLA is in need of a good racing game and this could fill that niche. I'll reserve any judgement until more info is released but that does look better than alot games that are out.

RiverBed said:
. I can't see such a game being under 150M- unless it is really limited.

as always, need vid to feel comfortable.

Didnt they bump that up to 250M like earlier this year.

RiverBed

Banned
IcebergSlim3000 said:
Didnt they bump that up to 250M like earlier this year.
I don't know. I don't keep track of Live. the last I heard was 150M.

the problem I see with a kart simulator is slow speed.

Top Bottom