• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Kart Attack' (PSN/XBLA/PC) Revealed

mrklaw

MrArseFace
marvelharvey said:
Bear with me for a moment on this...

For me, one issue that makes racing sims more challenging than their real life counterparts is the lack of g-forces and feedback through the steering wheel. Instead of using the information that your hands and body are feeling to judge the grip envelope of the tires, you have to make an estimation purely visually/aurally. This is bearable in games with racecars, thanks to the size of the wheelbase, giving a slow the rotation of the car and time to react to the onscreen visuals, but a kart game? I'm not so sure. Due to a kart's wheelbase, it tends to snap very quickly, something your hands will feel and correct way way before there's any graphical indication of your mistake displayed on screen.

So, I'm wondering if Blimey will fiddle with some of the kart physics so as to make the game more accessible/user friendly.

Anyway, I'm all for a realistic kart game, has their been one before? I can't think of any (apart from user created content of PC sims), although I think Sega had a semi-sim arcade game at one time.

true.

I'd like them to keep as much of the feel of really racing a kart, but clearly they'll have to do something to cover the lack of real feedback.

This is a general point though - considering how popular racing games are, nobody has really come up with something for this.

GrayFoxPL

Steroyd said:
Mini Downloadable you say? o_O

I expect it to be in 500mb download range. Well, unles there are only 2 tracks and no soundtrack.

It's just looks too high quality with that shitload of textures and objects to be a really "mini" download.

Impresive. Last time I played realistic kart game was a demo on psx, that was shit. But this, wow.

This would easily be the best looking XBLA game so far... I'm suddenly interested. I was expecting something really dodgy looking...

Wow! It really got me off-guard, I entered this thread expecting to see a poor Mario Kart rip-off, but instead it looks like a semi-realistic kart racing. I doubt it will be true sim, due to the nature of XBL audience (casual) and the challenge of the kart itself (dificult to drive based only in visual information).

But some things got me worried about it:
- Size limitations. Last time I checked XBL still have the 150 MB limit (but they say they can make special exceptions). With 150 it will be one only course and a lot of additional (and expensive download). Separated downloads will limit the userbase, basically killing multiplayer.
- Budget. For a XBL game it looks expansive to develop. Strange decision to not put it on a full disk title. Considering that the basic download will probabily be expansive (like $ 15) and more for additional content (probabily the game itself will have to be splited in several paid packages to make a profit). That will also limit the userbase, and the joy of multiplayer.

But I do have interested on it. A kart league would be fun.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
stunning next generation graphics surpassing those found in many AAA titles
I smiled.

kart_006.jpg

I LOL'd

DangerStepp

Oldschoolgamer said:
They said "Kart AttacK", and I came in expecting missiles and whatnot. :(

Looks good so far...
So did I. I also expected really cartoony graphics, but I was gladly disappointed. This is also the first I've heard of this game. Looks very very nice.

Everyone's complaining about the lack of wacky weapons. What you can't see is the Mack 9/Machete combo strapped to the 2nd place driver's back. Realistic game = realistic violence. How twisted would that be?

Maybe what we're not seeing are the Road Rash-ish elements.

Shamrock

Banned
I agree with most here that the game looks great and from the developers reputation from previous racing games, it will most likely control great to.

However

This game needs a weapons system. That is the best part of games like CTR and Mario Kart. I couldn't imagine playing either game just driving around with no weapons at all. It's ashame we can have 8 million WWI First person shooter clones, but no one wants to emulate the things that made a game like Mario Kart sell millions of copies.

Loudninja

Shamrock said:
I agree with most here that the game looks great and from the developers reputation from previous racing games, it will most likely control great to.

However

This game needs a weapons system. That is the best part of games like CTR and Mario Kart. I couldn't imagine playing either game just driving around with no weapons at all. It's ashame we can have 8 million WWI First person shooter clones, but no one wants to emulate the things that made a game like Mario Kart sell millions of copies.

No new info,or pics...... :(

BSherrod

I think since this is a gaming forum people see Kart and automatically think mascot racer, but this is a serious game by the looks of things. Think more Forza and less Mario Kart.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
These PSN/XBLA games should concentrate less on graphics. Looks great but I am afraid the gameplay will be stale. Graphics should be the last priority unless its a prologue type game.

Shamrock said:
It's ashame we can have 8 million WWI First person shooter clones, but no one wants to emulate the things that made a game like Mario Kart sell millions of copies.
Devs have tried to copy Mario Kart. The problem is that people don't want to play a second rate clone, and no one has worked out how to make something better. Judging by the MK wannabes I've played, they haven't even worked out why MK is so good in the first place.

Doing a proper Kart sim sounds like an excellent idea, can't wait to see how it turns out.

loosus

Banned
Shamrock said:
This game needs a weapons system. That is the best part of games like CTR and Mario Kart.
No. If there's one thing we don't need more of, it's dumb-shit racers with weapons.

This game isn't for you and you should steer way clear of it.

Top Bottom