• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kaz: PSVR will have over 100 titles

Alo0oy

Banned
As much as I want this product to be cheap, the VR unit will come with more hardware than any other VR unit. Another graphic card or cpu is not going to be cheap. I can see it being more the OR.

Or they can sell it at a loss like they always did with their consoles.

UnrealEck

Well, since the Rift is now off the table for me, if they can price it at or below 499€, i'll probably go with it.

The thing is, i was willing to pay the Oculus more than i'd pay a PSVR, simply because i have a gaming PC, and because PC is an open platform, which means you can do a lot more with the hardware than i can having to go through a PS4.

By the time PSVR hits the markey, Rift will probably be cheaper.

GnawtyDog

Banned
How many does it have now? I remember a thread going around with a title list. Still, a 100 seems much bigger than those lists. Gotta be 1st year titles with many "light VR experiences" thrown in between.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Not even close. It's not fundamentally changing the gameplay.
Maybe when we will have 1 to 1 hand movements but even that will be limited to a first person perspective.

Nah. I would argue it is a bigger leap.

1 to 1 hand movement is already here. Also, limited to first person? You know one of the launch titles that comes bundled with OR is a third person platformer right?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yes.

There's a breakout box that un-distorts the the video, so they'd just capture that.

You'd need a separate capture card though. The undistorted video comes out of the breakout box so it can't be captured directly by the Ps4 for streaming

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
What article?

Kaz didn't comment on price, because the Journalist didn't ask anything about it. I guess the interview took place before the Rift pre-order, maybe right after Sony press conf??

Yup here's the link
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...vs-audio-while-staying-mum-on-virtual-reality

The company has said its PlayStation VR goggles will go on sale in the first half of the year and cost about as much as a PS4 console, which retails for more than $300 in the U.S.

Corto

Or they can sell it at a loss like they always did with their consoles.

Sony won't do that. Companies sell hardware at a loss when they are sure they will recoup the loss in licensing software fees or other ancillary revenues tied to the platform. PSVR will be marketed as a platform by itself but always associated to the PS4. So It will always have a smaller user base. That smaller user base won't be enough to bring enough revenue to recover that loss. And the more they sell, the harder it will be to achieve this. Those ancillary revenue sources are for PS4 (PS Plus fees, PS Now) if Sony creates another one of those specifically to the PSVR it will scare off consumers. Buying a PS4, subscribe for PS Plus, buy PSVR, Move controllers and PS Camera and then on top of that another extra fee for PSVR software would kill the platform from the start.

anddo0

How many of those will be full game experiences?

I haven't looked at the list, but that 100 seems a bit inflated because of adding functionality to existing games.

UrbanRats

By the time PSVR hits the markey, Rift will probably be cheaper.

? It's coming out this year, first half if i'm not mistaken.

Oculus can't even evade orders fast enough, as they're already starting to ship preorders in June now.
Why would they lower the price in 2016, if they can't even ship the ones people are buying at this price?

orioto

Good Art™
PSVR or Oculus (but that one is out of the loop now), i'll be so fucking happy to have real finished product to play with, versus the years of crappy buggy demo i tried on Oculus DK2!

That said i think the big soft difference between the two will be that maybe Oculus + expensive PC will allow VR versions of really demanding games. People don't really realize yet they won't be a lot playing the Witcher 3 with intended graphics in VR (and if there is an official mod at some point..).

So i'm happy Sony has really dedicated games that looks good and run perfectly on their hardware. That's the way to go. I didn't like how Oculus had this insane spec needs as an official thing.. When we know the best vr experience won't specially be the ones with cutting edge graphics.

lol PSVR will not be $299, you have to add the cost for the camera and move controller

They can provide a bundle without Camera (already many have them like around 1-2 million) and Move controllers are not the standard controller in VR for PS4 because DS4 is the VR controller.

Portugeezer

I just wonder how many of those will be high quality and keep me coming back. Right now I can think of only a handful.

Sony, unlike Oculus, will continue to make money from games beyond their initial PS VR headset sales, so they can price it lower. The technology in the PS VR hardware itself is also cheaper than the Oculus so there is no reason to expect Oculus prices.

lol PSVR will not be $299, you have to add the cost for the camera and move controller

Move controller is not a requirement for PS VR. Although yes, some games will be Move specific.

Only the camera is required, and whenever they announce the PS VR date/price I will buy a camera in advance.

T-0800

I will definitely buy this if it's £399.

So I have a question for those that have tried PSVR... the "breaker box" (can't think of a better term), plugs into the PS4, and cables then run into the back of the VR head set yes?

So they dangle? And are you facing away from the PS4 to ensure the cables are behind you? Or does it come around the sides? That's the only negative for me... Also I used to get travel and motion sickness in real life, so I imagine this will mess me up a bit until I'm accustomed to it all.

You stole Sculli's avatar or are you his alt account?

KooopaKid

Banned
Nah. I would argue it is a bigger leap.

1 to 1 hand movement is already here. Also, limited to first person? You know one of the launch titles that comes bundled with OR is a third person platformer right?

How is that 3rd person platformer a paradigm shift in gameplay?
VR brings more immersion, that's it, only the 1 to 1 stuff could be a paradigm shift but it's more related to motion controls than VR.

ArtHands

That's likely a rehash of the it will be priced like a new platform quote. Sony haven't said anything since then about the price iirc.

Likely but we have no idea if that is the case for now.

ArtHands

Sony won't do that. Companies sell hardware at a loss when they are sure they will recoup the loss in licensing software fees or other ancillary revenues tied to the platform. PSVR will be marketed as a platform by itself but always associated to the PS4. So It will always have a smaller user base. That smaller user base won't be enough to bring enough revenue to recover that loss. And the more they sell, the harder it will be to achieve this. Those ancillary revenue sources are for PS4 (PS Plus fees, PS Now) if Sony creates another one of those specifically to the PSVR it will scare off consumers. Buying a PS4, subscribe for PS Plus, buy PSVR, Move controllers and PS Camera and then on top of that another extra fee for PSVR software would kill the platform from the start.

True. During the PS VR developers seminar, the Sony representative warned us that fully investing into the full blown Sony VR is a huge risk, and that we are suggested to make a game that be played on tv too.

Apparently the developers will be able to make game that you can switch between tv or VR mode, if they choose to do so.

BigTnaples

How is that 3rd person platformer a paradigm shift in gameplay?
VR brings more immersion, that's it, only the 1 to 1 stuff could be a paradigm shift but it's more related to motion controls than VR.

Didn't say that specific launch title would be.

No, not just immersion. There are tons of gameplay opportunities that VR will present. And 1:1 hand is not " just Motion controls".

VR is more than the sum of its parts. Going from looking at a 2D box in your living room, to the feeling of "presence" or actually being transported to another world, are two wholly different experiences.

NotMyPsn

Banned
Quick question, this thing requieres a camera, right? If I have the ps4 camera, will that work or there is a special camera just for vr?

DieH@rd

Banned

So, those who already have camera and moves will be forced to buy them again? 99.99% not gonna happen. There will be multiple SKUs.

Quick question, this thing requieres a camera, right? If I have the ps4 camera, will that work or there is a special camera just for vr?

It is the same camera. Dr. Richard Marks confirmed they made it from the start to be used for VR, only they were not able to say so in the open before Project Morpheus was announced. Same as DS4, they put that LED there for a good reason. :) Move controllers will also be unchanged, so install base of PSVR accessories is already established quite well.

Alo0oy

Banned

True. During the PS VR developers seminar, the Sony representative warned us that fully investing into the full blown Sony VR is a huge risk, and that we are suggested to make a game that be played on tv too.

Apparently the developers will be able to make game that you can switch between tv or VR mode, if they choose to do so.

They already confirmed that PSVR will be sold at a loss though, and for good reason. Do you really think making money from hardware is a priority in any way? Hardware profits are negligible and completely useless, GT Sports alone will probably be more profitable, their goal is for PSVR to reach as many people as possible and making them buy software, that's where the real money is.

Selling it at a profit means obscenely high price for the mass market, which leads to a small marketshare, which leads to less licensing money, in the end even Bloodborne ends up making them more money.

KooopaKid

Banned
Didn't say that specific launch title would be.

No, not just immersion. There are tons of gameplay opportunities that VR will present. And 1:1 hand is not " just Motion controls".

VR is more than the sum of its parts. Going from looking at a 2D box in your living room, to the feeling of "presence" or actually being transported to another world, are two wholly different experiences.

What that is not doable on a normal screen? Nothing.
Again you only mention "presence" and immersion. Nothing gameplay related.
Simulating a walk on an alien planet is very cool, but it's mostly a visual experience, a bit like Avatar.

RhyDin

Are some people really not able to guess what is meant by 100 titles? Of course it means in development, there is no physical way to know the lifetime figure since the damn thing isnt even out yet and if it was launch they would have said that.

I swear, its times like these that remind me how there can be so many people who cant read between the lines or extrapolate from something to get an answer.

It doesn't say if they are dedicated PSVR titles or regular titles with the VR feature tacked on as an addition (which could be bad for performance if VR is an afterthought and not a core feature in the development cycle). These could be indie games or other games that won't necessarily benefit from VR in a first person perspective - such as sidescrollers, etc. For example, see this Wired article about what Tekken's VR is. It doesn't seem to be part of the main gameplay.

I don't know if you guys have visited the PSN store lately, but there's a ton of less than stellar third party games on there. Also, the Playstation Move has ~140 titles and as an owner of two of them, I find the vast majority of them aren't worth playing because of poor implementation as standalone peripherals.

Sethista

for sony to win, they can:

350 to 400 price tag, but anything up to 500 is acceptable.

Creating bundles with and without move controlers to get 2 or 3 sifferent skus with 350 the lowest and 500 the most expensive would be great too

Every PSVR coming with one casual game or compilation of demos to demo the tech and one game more intense, that part OF got right in the announcement.

Create a PSVR bundle PS4 for 650 dollars

Market this in retailers around the world, using demo stations, and focus the message as plug and play.

DieH@rd

Banned
Simulating a walk on an alien planet is very cool, but it's mostly a visual experience, a bit like Avatar.

No. VR enables many different gameplay options.

Every PSVR coming with one casual game or compilation of demos to demo the tech and one game more intense, that part OF got right in the announcement.

I think it is a foregone conclusion that Playroom VR demos will be given away for free to everyone [120fps controller dance party with robots, diorama scene, ghost hunting, the Deep, sliding down the road, couch coop VR games [monster escape, cat vs mouses]]. Those are all good demos to get people used to VR.

Move users will most likely get that medieval knight training demo. I don't know about London Heist, maybe they are making a full game out of it.

As much as I want this product to be cheap, the VR unit will come with more hardware than any other VR unit. Another graphic card or cpu is not going to be cheap. I can see it being more the OR.

You're wrong.

EDIT: err, are you saying you think PSVR will cost more than OR?

BigTnaples

What you are saying is patently false. You would be right if you were talking about Sony's old HMD headset which was basically a TV close to your face.

But the way you are posting makes is seem like you have a basic misunderstanding of VR.

Mokujin

Sony wont be able to price PSVR under 400 for sure, but I'm guessing that they could release a VR enabled PS4 that doesn't need "the box" and sell box-less PSVRs cheaper (or PS4VR + googles at a cheaper price to avoid SKU confusion).

ArtHands

They already confirmed that PSVR will be sold at a loss though, and for good reason. Do you really think making money from hardware is a priority in any way? Hardware profits are negligible and completely useless, GT Sports alone will probably be more profitable, their goal is for PSVR to reach as many people as possible and making them buy software, that's where the real money is.

Selling it at a profit means obscenely high price for the mass market, which leads to a small marketshare, which leads to less licensing money, in the end even Bloodborne ends up making them more money.

That's probably the only strategy they can go for, since the playstation is a closed platform.

Smart for Kaz to come out and talk titles while everybody is talking Oculus price.

They've been given the perfect setup. Just gotta take advantage.

Top Bottom