• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kaz: PSVR will have over 100 titles

How is that 3rd person platformer a paradigm shift in gameplay?
VR brings more immersion, that's it, only the 1 to 1 stuff could be a paradigm shift but it's more related to motion controls than VR.

The immersion is the paradigm shift. Or specifically 'presence' in which your response to virtual reality is the same as if it was real, trying to put down a virtual gun on a virtual table, and dropping the PSMove controller, being a well-known example.

iceatcs

How many of those will be full game experiences?

I haven't looked at the list, but that 100 seems a bit inflated because of adding functionality to existing games.
What you mean about full game experiences, do you mean like 20hours+, open world, etc?

Remember if you want to make VR title then it got to be made for VR, include health and safely.

Zedox

Yea, 100 or more titles in development. That launch tho? Yea...I see it being no different than a console launch...pretty dry.

SomTervo

Yep. This will be huge.

It will be expensive yes. But the experiences you can have are truly groundbreaking.

This is not just a generational leap, it's a paradigm shift. It's 2D to 3D.

Kaz himself said that, right?

I agree with him.

IIRC his exact words were it's 'unfair' just how powerful VR is and how much of a big step it is.

I don't know what this even means.

I have yet to see an actual, full-fledged game so far. I don't know if I've missed them and there are tons out there. I guess Rez counts? I'm talking more like a game with a singleplayer campaign like an Uncharted or a Ratchet and Clank or a SOMA.

If it's 99 "experiences" and Rez... Not quite what I'm looking for. Totally possible this thing isn't made for me at all.

I don't know what this even means.

I have yet to see an actual, full-fledged game so far. I don't know if I've missed them and there are tons out there. I guess Rez counts? I'm talking more like a game with a singleplayer campaign like an Uncharted or a Ratchet and Clank or a SOMA.

If it's 99 "experiences" and Rez... Not quite what I'm looking for. Totally possible this thing isn't made for me at all.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1044658

Elandyll

Banned
I just hope one of those games could one day be an Aliens / Space Hulk type (First Person).

Imo the VR would lend itself very well to being in an armor with full HUD and fighting Xenomorphs in a space station/ giant derelict spaceship.

RK128

At least we can assume that at least 20+ titles will be ready for launch when PS VR hits :).

Them not commenting on price is disappointing, as if they got a great price (299.99-349.99), people will get that with little issue compared to Oculus (which is far to expensive, considering it might not even work with most low-mid end PCs). If its 399.99 or higher, hope they aggressively market it the device and have attractive hardware bundles for the kit (maybe.....a 499-599$ PS4 that has everything needed for the PS VR (system, controllers, ect).

Good to see a lot of support coming to the device so I hope that for people that want one, they are happy with the software output.

Content delivery will be king in the VR race, and Sony has a massive advantage here.
Software support will also play a big role, and again Sony has the advantage.

All signs pointing to PS VR domination. Well played, Sony.

hawk2025

The VR lineup is already looking so damn strong.

Rigs, Gran Turismo, Ace Combat, Driveclub, Rez.

Yeah, I'll buy a new platform for that, thank you very much.

Quantity doesn't matter. Kinect had respectable quantity. The games have to be serious games with serious effort behind them to leverage VR. If they don't they won't sell and many of those games and developers will abandon those projects in favor of projects more likely to net them profits. Not tacked on VR features like we saw with Kinect and EyeToy. Games built from the ground up to use VR specifically.

Ferrio

Banned
The VR lineup is already looking so damn strong.

Rigs, Gran Turismo, Ace Combat, Driveclub, Rez.

Yeah, I'll buy a new platform for that, thank you very much.

I got the rift on preorder, but the potential PSVR's exclusives just make it sound so much better.

hawk2025

I got the rift on preorder, but the potential PSVR's exclusives just make it sound so much better.

Same here.

The relatively more open platform (and Touch, of course) along with some minor stuff like Luckey's Tale is appealing, but Sony is throwing a LOT of content into PSVR. I can't not have it! For my money, the list of games is far and away the best of the bunch.

farisr

I hope parity doesnt fuck the other headsets, that would be a shame considering how underpowered PS4 is right now.
Yeah I hope so too (and I plan to be a PSVR user as the other ones are out of my price range). Word is that PSVR is pretty easy to port to, so ideally what they should do is develop for other stronger platforms and port for PSVR after, rather than design the game with PSVR in mind and then port to other platforms.

$399 or less and I'll buy it day one without hesitation and a big smile on my face. Its worth it for Gran Turismo 7 alone. I also have complete faith that PSVR will work on PC after some mods are released.

It has to be $399 or less (for the HMD and camera). Anything more and mr. DOA is right, it'll be DOA. With the headset being inferior in spec and locked to an weaker platform, Sony must make some concessions on price. Even if the total buy-in for PSVR is way cheaper, the perceived value of Sony's headset will be weaker if it's priced anywhere near the Rift.

Ideally they could do $349 for the HMD+camera and $399 for a bundle with 2 move controllers. At that price I think they would crush it for more mainstream VR adoption.

lol PSVR will not be $299, you have to add the cost for the camera and move controller

No you don't. Sony has sold Millions of Camera's and Move Controllers already. There will be a PSVR headset package only. Also people seem to keep forgetting that the PS4 already comes with a controller that can be tracked in 3D space already. The DS4.

PSVR price will land within the $300 - $350 range.

kennyamr

I'm pretty sure it will be $399 when they announce it at E3 (or at some point before).
$349 would be awesome but no, I think they will need those 50 extra bucks to improve res and other stuff.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
400-450 price point bundle is my "understandable" sweet spot for a HMD, two move controllers, camera, , minigame compilation, and a sweet sticker....bonus crash bandicoot game would be nice too.

eFKac

The immersion is the paradigm shift. Or specifically 'presence' in which your response to virtual reality is the same as if it was real, trying to put down a virtual gun on a virtual table, and dropping the PSMove controller, being a well-known example.

Been there. Still thinking about this moment to this day.

BadWolf

No you don't. Sony has sold Millions of Camera's and Move Controllers already. There will be a PSVR headset package only. Also people seem to keep forgetting that the PS4 already comes with a controller that can be tracked in 3D space already. The DS4.

$300 would be the sweet spot for the headset.

$350-$400 for a bundle with camera+2 Moves (and maybe a game?).

KooopaKid

Banned
No. VR enables many different gameplay options.

Like what?

What you are saying is patently false. You would be right if you were talking about Sony's old HMD headset which was basically a TV close to your face.
But the way you are posting makes is seem like you have a basic misunderstanding of VR.

How it is false?
I tried one at PGW, I get what it is.
It's not a paradigm shift in gameplay. Anything doable in VR is doable on a normal screen other than 1 to 1 hand movements.

AlucardGV

Banned
I dunno.

That little black box that goes along with the headset, plus the camera, will likely push the price to $399, at the minimum.

it's not gonna be cheap that's for sure but sony has a little advantage over the oculus, sony will get a cut of every VR game sold, while oculus obviously doesn't get anything and live on the hardware sales

yes i know i'm being delusional

Sky Saw

Banned

What about that processing box? I'm thinking $400.

Top Bottom